• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well, our sysadmin has had to buy more hamsters, as our old ones just had a heart attack from an OD of caffeine.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
No. You hear a good sense of tragedy.

Thirteen hamsters died from Kiki's careless caffeine carnage. Don't be so insensitive.

F

Furious Hedgehog

Is there an option in the search member function planned to sort/filter results using the location field ? Same about the Friend Finder (which is a great tool).

I looked around and didn't find any post talking about that. Would be usefull to find challengers while avoiding chances of massive lag at the same time.

flaco

The Terminator
well believe it or not I got comcast high speed internet my download speed is 20mbps and in other site it goes real fast except in these site also it runs in cable not in phone line in cable

Amide

Smash Lord
Can we change our username?

I know current rules say we can't, but seriously, I mained Toon Link for like, a DAY after I made my SWF account. Also, I want something a little more creative. It would really be great if I could change it.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Can we change our username?

I know current rules say we can't, but seriously, I mained Toon Link for like, a DAY after I made my SWF account. Also, I want something a little more creative. It would really be great if I could change it.
Nope. It used to be available through purchasing a premium membership, but those have since stopped being sold. As of now, there aren't any plans for name changing in the future, but that doesn't mean nothing will come up.

Amide

Smash Lord
I know it doesn't exist... It was sort of a recommendation. I don't see why there shouldn't be plans for it in the future though.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
It's not that there is or isn't any plans in the future, its more of a "admins have other things to concentrate on right now" thing.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, Kiki's got a lot on his plate (namely the remains of those hamsters. yum!)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Over in my part of the world, CAOTIC, a few others and myself are putting together an E-Newsletter that we intend to mail out to everyone we have put onto our mailing list for it. The idea behind it, is that there are a lot of people out there who simply don't read smashboards, because they're lazy or whatnot. This way, it keeps smashers in our country up to date with news about upcoming events, dates and times, and other interesting articles about influential players, world news, even important issues of and about Smash.

So it occurred to me, that maybe Smashboards should consider starting some kind of E-Newsletter itself. One that would be automatically emailed to anybody who is registered with smashboards.com

Now I am well aware that smashboards has the already very successful 'Show Me Your News' news project, heck, I still have the first podcast sitting on my hard drive.

But my reasoning is that not everybody checks smashboards frequently enough, despite the fact that they would probably enjoy reading a 'Smash Publication' of some description. The advantage of this would be that it's far more accessible to people (Not everybody can download a 70mb podcast), and having it sent automatically to people through an emailing list would mean it reaches a wider audience.

This is just an idea that's been rolling around in my head for the last week or so. A few times I've gone to type what I just have and halfway through thought to myself "Nah...it's not really a good idea, and besides, SMYN is already so popular".

But I mean think about, we could even create a printable version that could be sold at tournaments and smash meets in order for TO's to recoup costs. It would also be another avenue through which TO's could advertise...etc.

I could go on, but it's pointless.
It's probably unfeasible (Though, I'd gladly put my hand up for it), but it's still an idea.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Is Smashboards still producing shirts? When will there be new shirts, if ever?
Producing? No. Selling? Yes. I think we have one of the old shirts still available in small. I don't know anything about when (or whether) more shirts will be available.

Users can rate their on stages. Shouldn't this option be unavailable?
I don't think it's an issue. You can only rate your own stage once, just like everyone else, and if you give it a "5" and everyone else gives it a "1" then it'll balance out eventually.

vyse -- sounds like a nice idea, maybe get in touch with me over PM?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
WWYP is a writing contest. :) Go check out the stickied threads in the forum for more details.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Oh, thanks. So you mean, all of those entries in that section is for one big contest? Or multiple contests?

Anyways, thank you. Because see, I'm a writer also, and wondered where I should've put my entries...

And I didn't want to put them in the wrong section, right? xD

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Well, most of them are from old contests. Each contest has a prompt-- I have no idea which contest number we're on right now, but the current prompt is usually stickied, and open for everyone to enter. :)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Give him a bit Vyse, he mentioned the other day that he's been swamped with stuff.

Patinator

Smash Champion
This is a bit of a technical question... Xsyven couldn't answer it in a PM, so I'll bring it up here. Should've done that first. -_-

I was copy-pasting something from Word to post in a Social Group. I pasted it, clicked "submit" or "post" or whatever the button is, but when it went to the next page, it said:

The following errors occurred with your submission:

BB code s is not allowed.

Also: sometimes when I Quick Reply in a social group, it says above the QR box: "The following errors occurred with your submission:"

Nothing. Followed by an "okay" button. It still posts, though... I just can't see it at first.

Does anyone (Probably an Administrator) know what's going on with both scenarios? :dizzy:

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Can Upload Images for Signature No
Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No

Why have i lost the privilege of using images in my signature. I used to have it but out of no where lost it. Don't remember abusing or uploading any sorta of images that would take away the option.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I know this may sound like a n00b question, but how do you subscribe to threads?

I did it before, and I guess I forgot how to do so... =\

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Can Upload Images for Signature No
Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No

Why have i lost the privilege of using images in my signature. I used to have it but out of no where lost it. Don't remember abusing or uploading any sorta of images that would take away the option.
It's not that you can't use your signature or have pictures in it, it's just that you can't upload the image directly onto SWF (which afaik has always been disabled) You just need to post it with tags. If it's not showing up, check the link, it may have been removed.

Marik: When you post (not quick reply) under misc options is a pull down thing which deals with that.

Patinator: I don't know about the no using BB code thing, but the "an Error has occurred. Okay" thing we know about. It's on the list of things to do afaik.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
That thing about the not being able to use BB code just means you're not allowed to use certain formatting tags.

The ones you can use are:

Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Link
Remove Link
Insert Email Link
Insert Image

Ones like spoiler tags or the word strikeout tags are the ones you can't.

((I know the mods are meant to be answering these questions, but I am reallllllly bored and know more about this website than I should))

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
It's not that you can't use your signature or have pictures in it, it's just that you can't upload the image directly onto SWF (which afaik has always been disabled) You just need to post it with tags. If it's not showing up, check the link, it may have been removed.

Marik: When you post (not quick reply) under misc options is a pull down thing which deals with that.

Patinator: I don't know about the no using BB code thing, but the "an Error has occurred. Okay" thing we know about. It's on the list of things to do afaik.[/QUOTE]

aaaah i see thanks

Patinator

Smash Champion
That thing about the not being able to use BB code just means you're not allowed to use certain formatting tags.

The ones you can use are:

Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Link
Remove Link
Insert Email Link
Insert Image

Ones like spoiler tags or the word strikeout tags are the ones you can't.

((I know the mods are meant to be answering these questions, but I am reallllllly bored and know more about this website than I should))
AH-HA. I KNEW IT. I had typed up tags in what I was posting. So they can't be used in Social Groups? Huh.

Well, thanks a lot! :)

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Is there any chance we can get an "add user to ignore list" when clicking on someone's name? It seems like that would fit pretty well with the "add user to your contacts".

It's also kind of a pain to open the user CP in a new tab to add someone to your ignore list. I'm not sure how many people would actually get a lot of use out of it, so there's no real rush.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Are administrators able to change someone's username?
I second this question. I know Mic changed his name and Tom did as well (I know he had premium but he changed his name at least twice) Is it like restricted to Broomers to name changing?

edit- just checked. Tom's not a Broomer so what are the requirements for someone to be able to have their named changed?

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I believe Tom bought more than one premium.

Also, this question has already been answered above.

Mic got his named changed because it was ridiculously confusing trying to figure out whether they were referring to Mic or Mic_128, the artist formerly known as Mic.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Didn't Premies have exclusive styles(themes)? If they did, What happens to them now that premium membership is gone?

Also, was it just me, or did links to smashboards turn into links to the mlg website temporarily?

Top Bottom