• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Wrath`

Smash Master
Ok well my signiture is not showing anymore, it only gives me th option to show it if i go back through advance edit wich is tidius, is there any explination? It was working fin untill a few days ago.

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Where I live? Why, location is a state of mind my
I have a question, I was participating in this thread that suggests ideas for a pikmin 3. Now I spent all day yesterday, telling all about my idea for the final boss of the game, when, where, and how you fight it, but somethings wrong when I try to post it. Whenever I try, the screen tells me,

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched"

"If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

How do I find out how to fix this?

Also, I'm trying to change the title of my thread, but I can't quite figure out how. Could you help me out here?

Aslo, how exactly do I contact this administrator?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wrath: Probably something from whatever Kiki did to bring the boards back up after that attack yesterday. Should be fixed soon.

Mano Games: Never had that happen before, but probably another side effect. I'll let Kirby King know too.

Oh, and to edit titles, click edit -> go advance

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Mano Games:
Kirby King said:
I need to know what the thread is and whether they were using quick reply or the full new reply page. I also need to know the style they were using.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Style is forum skin, so Revolution, Classic Blue, Smash Blue, ect

Kilut

Smash Cadet
K, I have two ideas, but I'm not sure if they have been suggested before.
I searched, but wuteva.

1. I think that there should be an area like the Proom, except tons more leniant, just for randomness, or spam... I guess, obviously post count wouldn't be affected there, and pretty much it would have the same rules about censors and stuff, but you could freely double-post, or post nothing, or whatever you wanna, and the mods could abuse there powers as much as they want.

2. I'm not sure if this would work or not, but maybe the Broom and Smash Broom could be on a read only status, but people wouldn't be able to post about what they read in there or whatever. Or maybe there would be another usergroup that was able to look at them on a read-only basis, just so that everybody wouldn't be able to.

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
K, I have two ideas, but I'm not sure if they have been suggested before.
I searched, but wuteva.

1. I think that there should be an area like the Proom, except tons more leniant, just for randomness, or spam... I guess, obviously post count wouldn't be affected there, and pretty much it would have the same rules about censors and stuff, but you could freely double-post, or post nothing, or whatever you wanna, and the mods could abuse there powers as much as they want.

2. I'm not sure if this would work or not, but maybe the Broom and Smash Broom could be on a read only status, but people wouldn't be able to post about what they read in there or whatever. Or maybe there would be another usergroup that was able to look at them on a read-only basis, just so that everybody wouldn't be able to.
I think we tried the spam room already, although, I heard forum games is pretty close. This idea sounds kinda silly. Sorry to be blunt, but we don't need a wacky rule breakers room. Why would you post without function. Plus, most people post that kinda stuff everywhere. And a special room to abuse my mod powers means nothing to me. I do it anyway.

And the only way to look into the ALMIGHTY BROOM, or the decent Smash BRoom, is to get in. They actually discussed this in both forums, only to get shot down quickly by the other members. Just earn your way in if you wanna see it. It's likely easier than lobbying for a way to look in.

Kilut

Smash Cadet
I didn't mean for it to be a wacky rule breaker room (bluntness is ok), I'm just saying when a forum has a random area, the spam in the other ones greatly decreases, because the spammers are content with making threads about whatever the heck they want, and posting in others with absolute nonsense.

Your reasoning on the BRoom makes perfect sense, I sorta knew thats what you guys'd say, I was just checkin ;)

Darkurai

Smash Master
I have a proposal to cut down on the high amount of spam in the Brawl boards.

tl;dr version: Require people to make a post stating they have read the rules so we can hold them accountable for it from the beginning, and ignorant people will be aware of the rules and how the forum works.

Spam is a problem in the Brawl boards. Anyone who's been there lately knows this.
Since Brawl's release, people have flooded into Smash World Forums to talk about the new game. Often times, this leads to spamming, whether it be intentional or through ignorance of the rules.

This is an idea that I found on a forum I once joined, the Nuklear Power Forums for the 8-Bit Theater webcomic. What they did was simply forced people to read the rules before they could post. When you first joined, you would only have the privilages to post in one topic, and in that topic you would state that you have read the rules. Every moderator/administrator would be subscribed to that topic so as to know when someone posted that they've read the rules, and once they read the rules, they would be allowed to post.

First this deals with the people who spam because they are ignorant of the rules. I remember from when I first joined, there was a good week before I knew where the rules were, so I couldn't read them. I believe that many people are like this. They do not know of the rules, so thus they don't follow them. If we point them to the rules from the beginning, then there's just that much spam prevented.

Now obviously some people simply wouldn't bother with reading the rules. So here's how we'd deal with them. With that one post, they would be held accountable for whatever they do, because they are expected to have read the rules. This leaves no excuse to not know of the rules. As it stands now, you really can't be too harsh on the newest members who are spamming because you can't be sure if they are intentionally doing this, or just ignorant. Some may think this to be a rather extreme method (people that I've spoken to sometimes think this), but in the long run it would inevitably cut down on spamming a great deal.

Another feature of this idea would be that spambots are avoided. Spambots are programmed to only do their advertising. For a spambot to get through, someone would have to go in and post that they accept the rules on their own, and at that point you may as well just post your advertising yourself, getting rid of the use for a spambot.

Some people that I've spoken to say that this would put a lot of responsibility on the SWF staff. This is not true. With every single staff member subscribed to this one thread, you will inevitably have at least one person watching at all times. It's no different than reporting a post, except now it's for a different reason.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The legends fortold of a heroic fighter, who was well known for his awesomness. He fought many an opponent until he fought the legendary person known as "John." It is rumoured that during their match, this challenger pointed out all the things that were affecting him, ailing him. His moves were not as fast, he didn't have a good night's sleep, the legendary hero was a ***** to tiers, and other excuses. After his defeat, the legendary fighter looked at him and muttered "No Johns"

Darkurai

Smash Master

tl;dr version: Require people to make a post stating they have read the rules so we can hold them accountable for it from the beginning, and ignorant people will be aware of the rules and how the forum works.

Spam is a problem in the Brawl boards. Anyone who's been there lately knows this.
Since Brawl's release, people have flooded into Smash World Forums to talk about the new game. Often times, this leads to spamming, whether it be intentional or through ignorance of the rules.

This is an idea that I found on a forum I once joined, the Nuklear Power Forums for the 8-Bit Theater webcomic. What they did was simply forced people to read the rules before they could post. When you first joined, you would only have the privilages to post in one topic, and in that topic you would state that you have read the rules. Every moderator/administrator would be subscribed to that topic so as to know when someone posted that they've read the rules, and once they read the rules, they would be allowed to post.

First this deals with the people who spam because they are ignorant of the rules. I remember from when I first joined, there was a good week before I knew where the rules were, so I couldn't read them. I believe that many people are like this. They do not know of the rules, so thus they don't follow them. If we point them to the rules from the beginning, then there's just that much spam prevented.

Now obviously some people simply wouldn't bother with reading the rules. So here's how we'd deal with them. With that one post, they would be held accountable for whatever they do, because they are expected to have read the rules. This leaves no excuse to not know of the rules. As it stands now, you really can't be too harsh on the newest members who are spamming because you can't be sure if they are intentionally doing this, or just ignorant. Some may think this to be a rather extreme method (people that I've spoken to sometimes think this), but in the long run it would inevitably cut down on spamming a great deal.

Another feature of this idea would be that spambots are avoided. Spambots are programmed to only do their advertising. For a spambot to get through, someone would have to go in and post that they accept the rules on their own, and at that point you may as well just post your advertising yourself, getting rid of the use for a spambot.

Some people that I've spoken to say that this would put a lot of responsibility on the SWF staff. This is not true. With every single staff member subscribed to this one thread, you will inevitably have at least one person watching at all times. It's no different than reporting a post, except now it's for a different reason.
I got paged so no one saw it (at least no one responded)

Mewter

Smash Master

Hmm... Great Idea.
But I think that if someone spams unintentionally like, "Oh, I found A New Game and I think It's Fun" then you should let them off the hook. But if they say something like the hated response,"I like cheese" then go ahead. Report them.
I responded.

Trapt497

Smash Ace

This is a good idea. We could do it. It's possible.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
If you happen to be part of two groups, like the Debaters and The Back Room, what colour will your name be?

Also this looks like a triple post, but I posted those other two almost a month ago.

N M E

Smash Apprentice
Recently there has been a number of people who have joined the boards just to spam them. I propose that there should be a cap on the number of thread a person is able to make per day. If you're able to change the number of threads a single person is able to make per day, the amount of spam will be significantly reduced makeing your lives easier.

method 2

Not a limit on the threads that you can make, more that you have to have been a member for at least a month to be able to make threads (posting in other threads would be fine during that month though.)
This would put people off spamming because they'd have to wait a month to do so, and it'd give a chance for the productive newcomers to lurk and see what's already common knowledge so as to not post threads that are ultimately useless.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm not sure the second idea is that hot, but the limit per day for a bit might be good. I'll bring it up in the staffer shack.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
When Brawl was actually news, our reporters couldn't keep track of everything on their own. Send a tip meant tipping us off with new Brawl news.

Smash Bag was a segment where a user would send us a question, and the writers would all give their opinions and answers.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Adding contacts

The option to add someone to the contact list should be clearer. I took a while to discover that I had to highlight the option “befriend” and then uncheck the option to add them as friends every time I wanted to add them as contacts. I would like to see two distinct links like “add him as a contact” and “add him as a friend”.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Can somebody explain what's so good, and what the news section is for? What are all the facts and guidelines that I need to know about that whole section?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
The News section was large and prosperous prior to when Brawl was released. Nothing much pops up in there anymore... what do you wanna know about it? It was pretty much just there for updates, n'stuff.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
The hamsters that power the servers haven't been fed very much because our sysadmin has been on vacation all summer. I'll pour them some Red Bull and see if that doesn't speed things up.

Top Bottom