• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yes. Helping the site out doesn't make you above the rules.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Very funny. Don't hurt me.

Ah... Yes... Frodric... That name brings back my memories of 'The OFFICIAL Smash Bros. Revolution Thread- Read Page One Before Posting!' thread...

...I doubt most of you know what I'm talking about... I wish I could go in the Rubbish Bin just to read that thread... The Megamall of the good ol' days...

Could a mod bring that thread back in a closed fasion? Pretty please?

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
too much work

EDIT: okay I'll be serious, We won't bring back this topic. Why would we bring back a topic from the rubbish bin tell me?

false edit: no, don't reply back to tell me why, we won't do it anyway

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, two questions: 1) How do you guys choose your mods? 2) What are these survey contest things I keep hearing about?
alright, i was somewhat generous about answering questions inquiring about mods in the past but... stop asking for specifics about mods lol. i mean, what is up with all this sudden interest about mods? so many questions about them...

for the second question, throughout the years gideon had posted random surveys that helped figure out the demographics of this forum. by filling them out, you get entered into a lottery where three people get chosen to receive some form of premium membership. however, lately gideon has been less active on the sites and surveys have not been offered as of late.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
i know this might sound wierd, but i was just curious about this, and it would be a waste of a topic. --

Do mods (in the swf forum) need to know knoledge about smash? cause you dont need to know about smash to moderate, but then it is a smash forum.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
i know this might sound wierd, but i was just curious about this, and it would be a waste of a topic. --

Do mods (in the swf forum) need to know knoledge about smash? cause you dont need to know about smash to moderate, but then it is a smash forum.
No. Some mods never cared about the game, in fact

PS: I need to congratulate you for posting in this thread instead of creating a new topic. Keep it up!

THOUGH It's specified on the first page: do not post about anything related to users or moderators. But I still don't know if this kind of question is included in that rule...

Is that kind of question included in that rule?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I think the idea of that rule, Wak, was individual moderators, ie. asking questions about Cashed or something. Not general questions about moderating.

flaco

The Terminator
Then if lets say you get banned and your paid for a 3 months subscription what happens to the money?Still not answered

EEvisu

Smash Lord
I keep hearing a rumor about how the rep system is gonna be taken away, is this true or not because if it is I must say thats just stupid to take away something most people on the forum like just because theres a few topics about it from people who did not see the FAQ.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I keep hearing a rumor about how the rep system is gonna be taken away, is this true or not because if it is I must say thats just stupid to take away something most people on the forum like just because theres a few topics about it from people who did not see the FAQ.
...and when is it being taken away, will we still see bars? I pretty much use the rep system to see who is respected, it's the easiest way although it's not always accurate. (ssbmasterfox)

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
...and when is it being taken away, will we still see bars? I pretty much use the rep system to see who is respected, it's the easiest way although it's not always accurate. (ssbmasterfox)
Rep system getting removed means rep system getting removed. This means the bars will also disappear. And according to me, it never was accurate. When you see Cort and Cie from Connecticut or people from the pool room having more than 1000 rep each... (According to me, it's not because of their post's quality or their intelligence)

Obviously, mods are THAT stupid.
We're removing it because a list of people on the board are now abusing it. Seeing how much rep you have, I'd count you in this list.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
When I post a reply that just says:

"Yeah, that looks pretty good..."

And I get rep that just says:

"-Name"

That means that person is a rep ***** begging for positive rep.

Honestly, I've only gotten like... 5 positive reps without a name on it.

Maybe make a rep system without commenting?

Skywalker

Space Jump
How about we just remove the system entirely like the moderators are going to do?

Members don't seem to realize that reputation is useless. If they did, reputation would be here, intact, for a long time and moderators wouldn't be irritated by reputation complaints.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
^ True-- I forgot to keep in mind the:

"EDIT: WHO NEG REPPED ME ZOMFG" posts.

I was just trying to get rid of the +rep hoes.

Sensai

Smash Master
I like the idea of the rep system, but, like Wak says, it's abused a lot. Maybe if it was made so that somehow giving or taking rep had a negative impact on the person giving it? I'm sure that's been suggested many times.

And Xsyven, I don't agree with your stand about leaving your name. I leave my name not because I want +rep, but because I want people to know who it's coming from. I wouldn't give a gift without my name on it, so why should I give away rep without a name on it?

Y'know, besides the fact that rep's useless.

[Edit:]

And Wak, I don't think it's fair to stereotype people as being rep whores unless you have evidence other then 'you have a lot of bars.'

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
We're going to remove it at first. We stil don't know if we're going to implant a new rep system. It's going to be discussed in the staffer shack.

Please don't post too much suggestions about how could work the new rep system because, like I said, we might simply remove it; end of discussion.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I like the idea of the rep system, but, like Wak says, it's abused a lot.

Y'know, besides the fact that rep's useless.
You just contradicted yourself. In the first place, the bars of reputation never dictated the quality of the poster. The system was intended for use as a general idea of how well you posted.

I could tell if someone was approving/disapproving of your post by their comment, or just establishing a rep-him-he'll-rep-you relationship. Believe me, because I did it all the time with certain PRoomers, their names I won't say, because it's pretty **** fun for me to see how high my bar can go. Yet after my spamathon in the Pool Room in November my reputation fell by nearly 50 points.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Rep system getting removed means rep system getting removed. This means the bars will also disappear. And according to me, it never was accurate. When you see Cort and Cie from Connecticut or people from the pool room having more than 1000 rep each... (According to me, it's not because of their post's quality or their intelligence)

Obviously, mods are THAT stupid.
We're removing it because a list of people on the board are now abusing it. Seeing how much rep you have, I'd count you in this list.
go ahead and count me but that wont change the fact that its still stupid, if u dont like rep then freaking ignore it, nothing wrong w/ there being something on the forum that adds to the fun of it, if the case is abuse then why not get rid of post count since people spam to.
How about we just remove the system entirely like the moderators are going to do?

Members don't seem to realize that reputation is useless. If they did, reputation would be here, intact, for a long time and moderators wouldn't be irritated by reputation complaints.
you used to be all about getting rep I remember that thread u made and how u repped people to get rep back so your full of ****

Skywalker

Space Jump
So what are you and rest of the moderators leaning towards: A revamped system or a complete removal?

Sorry if the whole rep topic is becoming repetitive.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
So what are you and rest of the moderators leaning towards: A revamped system or a complete removal?
We're going to remove it at first. We stil don't know if we're going to implant a new rep system. It's going to be discussed in the staffer shack.

Please don't post too much suggestions about how could work the new rep system because, like I said, we might simply remove it; end of discussion.
. .

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
God ****it. Next person to post that doesn't have a question is getting warned. Read the first page, and about ever 3rd page after that if you forget the rules.

Rep is worthless. It was ruined because people never took it seriously and never mattered. Who cares about it.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
jigglypuff, if you have a suggestion, post it here.

As for edited posts, you can edit it after a mod has.

Uncle Kenny, I'm not entirely sure. PM Gideon and just wait for a reply.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
My suggestions: 1. What if there was something called "suprise custom avatar day"? A certain day where custom avatars are allowed. No one about it would know unless they wanted to change their avatars. 2. You should go to ubanimator.com to animate your userbars into one.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
When will the rep system be abolished, and is it definitely going to go?

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
My suggestions: 1. What if there was something called "suprise custom avatar day"? A certain day where custom avatars are allowed. No one about it would know unless they wanted to change their avatars.
The way it works right now is: you can't change your avatar unless you're a premie. gideon knows people wants their personal avatar, that's why he makes people pay to get it. Anyway, otherwise, the forum wouldn't get enough money to run. Is that what you want to happen to the site!!!??? =o

When will the rep system be abolished, and is it definitely going to go?
We don't know, and we don't know. Be patient; as soon as we get those answers, everyone will know.

Top Bottom