• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
If the person simply irritate everybody on the forum, we're going to IP ban this person.
Otherwise we don't mind if the user creates another account if he stops flaming people

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think any mod has abused his power yet... Some of us mod on a more strict way, that's it.

If a mod really loose control, well I guess he'll get warned before to loose his privilege if he looses control more than once.

but once again, I don't think it ever happenned. McFox knows who would be good to mod and who couldn't do the job correctly.

Skywalker

Space Jump
If I was to neg-rep someone with a minor flame like "stop being stupid" or "you suck", would I have a chance of receiving infractions?

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, you have no chance to receive infractions, but you have many chances to get neg-repped back, because you are currently saying in bold that you may be the neg-repping guy saying ''you suck'' to people.

StealthyShadows

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but isn't sending reputation to people anonymous?

What if someone repped you with something much worse, Like **** you, or stop being a douchebag, or *******, stuff that is normally forum filtered?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
When we ban someone, the idea is that they stay banned. However, if they create a new account and stop causing trouble, then they won't really get caught, because we won't be checking their IP. Everyone wins.

If you really feel a mod is abusing their power, then post in Forum Disputes.

You don't receive infractions for neg-repping people, UNLESS you're really flaming them and it is called to our attention. While rep is anonymous, Admins can check to see who is leaving rep for whom, and what they're saying.

Skywalker

Space Jump
No, you have no chance to receive infractions, but you have many chances to get neg-repped back, because you are currently saying in bold that you may be the neg-repping guy saying ''you suck'' to people.
I was always afraid to flame people because of the fear of being warned, and so I never did it much. And I'll still try not to.

Also,
*Never mind*

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
And along with his question ^... how many tournaments should you host before applying?

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
And along with his question ^... how many tournaments should you host before applying?
There really isn't a set amount. One is all it takes. If it is a legitimate tournament that generates a lot of activity on smashboads, then send the URL of your tourney thread in your application through user cp and you should be able to become one [a tourney director].

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Alright... here's another one to throw at ya.

So there's a rule that basically says 'No playing mod', right? Like-- when someone makes a video game thread in the PRoom, you shouldn't waste a post by saying "LITe HOWSE ZOMFG"

And then, when you click the "Report This Post" thing, the little note says: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

So my question is, if someone makes a new thread that should obviously be closed or moved, but isn't spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts... do we just ignore it, just talk like normal until the mods get there, or report?

Basically, I'm asking what the mods prefer.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright... here's another one to throw at ya.

So there's a rule that basically says 'No playing mod', right? Like-- when someone makes a video game thread in the PRoom, you shouldn't waste a post by saying "LITe HOWSE ZOMFG"

And then, when you click the "Report This Post" thing, the little note says: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

So my question is, if someone makes a new thread that should obviously be closed or moved, but isn't spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts... do we just ignore it, just talk like normal until the mods get there, or report?

Basically, I'm asking what the mods prefer.
If there is a thread that should be moved, closed, whatever, we prefer that you don't encourage it. We mods don't like posters to continue to post in a worthless thread. So, no, do not continue to "talk like normal". Simply do not post in the thread at all. By doing that, either the thread will die by being moved to the next page or a mod will come by and close it. We don't want the worthless thread to continue to be bumped. So, yes, ignore it.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Alright, I pretty much understand that to gain entry to the SBroom you have to post useful info about Melee or the original. But with so many FAQs and guides and info on pretty much every aspect of both games how can one help out others if everything is already provided? In other words, is it impossible to become a SBroomer now?

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
The SBroom, now, is mostly for important smash directors such as kishprime, alphazealot and Jv3x3. Not people like me or m2k who memorized the whole frame data or knows everything about the advanced techniques. In other words, it doesn't really matter if you post useful things about smash, it's preferable if you have in mind some good changes we should have about the tournament scene.

I also believe the smash back room scene is complete. Plus, M3D, the moderator of the room supposed to allow people wanting to join the room is now pretty unactive on the board.

At all, it's still possible to enter in it, but not now. We were thinking of getting a new (and more active) moderator for the SBroom. However don't expect to get allowed in it for now... unless you ask to an administrator, but still.

Wait, when I think about it, people in the SBroom choose by themself who will be allowed in the room. You need to be known from them before.

EDIT: Forget it, B-Will. I'm faster AND cooler than you.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, I pretty much understand that to gain entry to the SBroom you have to post useful info about Melee or the original. But with so many FAQs and guides and info on pretty much every aspect of both games how can one help out others if everything is already provided? In other words, is it impossible to become a SBroomer now?
Posting useful information is NOT the only way you can make your way to the SBroom, in fact, it's plays a very little role into getting accepted.

I quote M3D:

"My intent is to ONLY let those people who are high level tournament players, well-respected tournament organizers and people who make important contributions to the smash community back there."

There you have it. Yes, it is extremely hard to get into but not impossible. You just have to have one hell of a resume. :laugh:

EDIT: heh, Wak beat me to it. Everything he says on top of what I said is all true. Damn you, Wak, I hate you. Yes, being part of the elite scene, i.e. knowing the sbroomers themselves help. Also, like I said, having an incredible resume that you can post come application time helps immensely too.

DOUBLE EDIT: How can you be faster and cooler than me? You're name says so itself, you're whack.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wait, when I think about it, people in the SBroom choose by themself who will be allowed in the room. You need to be known from them before.
If I remember rightly M3D wasn't too pleased about the topic for sugesting new SBroomers.

Anyway, Brawl's coming out soon enough, so with all the new stuff, I wouldn't be suprised if there's an influx of new SBroomers.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
The BRoom mascot is a Grimer because of magic.

Moderators have access to all rooms.

The Smash and Melee Back Rooms are the same room, people just call them the different things. The Back Room (sans a prefix) is the other one.

What exactly are you trying to do with your sig?

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have some questions for Wak:

It it pronounced Walk or Whack

How many languages do you speaK?

Lol, finally a question that I know enough so McFox will not need to clarify... I hope :p

It's pronounced whack, and I know 4 languages: french, my born language, english, spanish and portuguese (in order of how good I am at those languages)
I also learned some japanese 4 years ago, but I just forgot every word already.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Well, this is the questions and SUGGESTIONS thread so I guess I can make a suggestion right? You hold Debate With Your Power and Write With Your Power Contests but how about a Draw With Your Power Contest for the Artwork Eporium? Err... or you can call it Sketch With Your Power to separate it from Debate With Your Power. If you think this is a good idea then I volunteer to be one of the judges to take a little work off your hands and if there is one already or you don't like the idea then sorry for wasting a post.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I liked Toomin myself (it was an obscure reference to the Animorphs book series and a unique name I haven't seen used much on the internet (don't take it!)), but there was public outcry so I changed it back.

flaco

The Terminator
Does The head Admin assuming Mcfox or Gideon picks the Moderators also when are you going to pick up new Mods example when the site keeps growing.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Well, this is the questions and SUGGESTIONS thread so I guess I can make a suggestion right? You hold Debate With Your Power and Write With Your Power Contests but how about a Draw With Your Power Contest for the Artwork Eporium? Err... or you can call it Sketch With Your Power to separate it from Debate With Your Power. If you think this is a good idea then I volunteer to be one of the judges to take a little work off your hands and if there is one already or you don't like the idea then sorry for wasting a post.
We are about to start a new contest. Check the topic in the Artwork Emporium.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Gideon owns the site, so he would be considered the "head Admin." I just help out where I can.

Choosing mods all depends on what we need at any particular time. It was obvious that we needed some mods specifically for the regional zones, so I organized that myself. Most of the time, we only add one or two mods at a time, and those times we usually make a group decision with the staff to get the rest of the mods' input on who they think would be a good addition.

flaco

The Terminator
um interesting thanks mcfox for clearing up that for me.Don't you guys have a code or something lets say your gonna choose on person or users to mod one area do they need to have certain post count certain rep or you could pick and user that has been there only three months?

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
heh...i'll answer that one since i know first hand.

when i became mod, i had less that 500 posts, only like 18 rep, and joined relatively recently. this just shows that when it comes down to it, none of the above matters. if you are seen to post well, help out the community in more than one way, and prove that you would be an asset to the staff of SWF, you have just as good a chance as anyone.

REP DOES NOT MATTTER i'm going to say that again and again lol. i was nominated for my good posting and my active role in the southwest forums, thus I got the opportunity to become one for the southwest.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Where did my custom avatar and title go? The avatar appears at the top of the page "Welcome OnYourMark." but not in my posts...

And who is that girl on a lot of the mods' avatars?

EDIT: Darn, I didn't read the rules...

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Where did my custom avatar and title go? The avatar appears at the top of the page "Welcome OnYourMark." but not in my posts...
I suggest you to put it back. If you had a custom avatar because of a premium membership, the only way to get it back is giving an administrator your avatar, he'll do it for you.

And who is that girl on a lot of the mods' avatars?
Anyone noticed that in the first page, it says to not ask questions about moderators, though the only questions we're not answering are the questions about the Back Room?

Top Bottom