• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Yes, in your User CP go to "Edit Options". Under "default subscription mode" switch to "no emal notification" if you don't want emails or one of the other options if you do. Either way, you will autosubscribe to threads when you post in them.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Another ask for directions(man this forum is wayyyyyy too big for me). A little like the Arena, i'm hoping to verse lucas/ness mains to help me get better, and i recall a kind of arena specifically for them(i seem to recall FC's of good lucas/ness mains in it or something). Anyone know where that is, or am i just being delusional?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Can you all as SWF Staff pinpoint members down by their IP Address to the point where they cannot sign up by the recognized address? This is just instanced by something like major harassment on the boards, resulting in numerous bans of the same member. I mean sure, they can get to another computer, but it shouldn't be hard to tell them out unless they play their cards right. Which I seldom see.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I changed my skin to ''Revolution''. So now Bowser looks french. You can see him on the top left of my screen. Why does he not have a mustache? It would really put things in perspective.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
We could also give him a beret, a cigarette, and a stripey shirt.

However, horizontal stripes would be unflattering for Bowser's body type.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
We could also give him a beret, a cigarette, and a stripey shirt.

However, horizontal stripes would be unflattering for Bowser's body type.
Man. I love you guys. What a beautifully carved answer. Magnificent! I am in awe.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey again. I notice how in other ppl's signatures, they have the pics of who they want to be in the next SSB with flashing names and so on. Errr, how can i do this? Since there's so many ppl doing it, i can't believe that they simply did all the hard work of finding other sites to use and copy-pasted etc.(but i might be wrong) so i suspect there is an easier way to do it?

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
This may not be necessarily a forum question, but I can't find any other appropriate thread for this, so I apologize in advance.

A few years ago, NealDT made an add-on for Google Earth that showed where smashers were around the world, making it easier to keep track of who was nearby you. Would it be possible to have a simple Google Maps enabled somewhere on the site that would do this? I understand there could be issues with privacy of giving EXACT locations, which is why players volunteered this information (and many simply gave major cross-streets).

Just and idea. Thanks for reading :)

EDIT: I recall you may be right Ankoku lol. You said the name, and it clicked...

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
Would it be allowed/possible in the mean time to create a thread specifically for the locations of smashers in my state? Where you just post name, approximate location, melee/brawl, etc?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yes, I believe that's what a lot of people do for their region, actually.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey again. I notice how in other ppl's signatures, they have the pics of who they want to be in the next SSB with flashing names and so on. Errr, how can i do this? Since there's so many ppl doing it, i can't believe that they simply did all the hard work of finding other sites to use and copy-pasted etc.(but i might be wrong) so i suspect there is an easier way to do it?
They've either made them themselves or had someone make it for them. You're rpobably better off asking them where they got it from, or check the artwork emporium and ask the sig shops to make one for you.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It's ok, i found it, thanks to Star. Probably should have posted *scratches back of head*... But thanks for the advice anyway :D

Sariku

Smash Master
If I state that Brawl is the worst game ever made, but I by no means state that any other game is better than it by name, in a forum section completely unrelated to Brawl, can a moderator overstep his powers and infract me for this? The post in question:

Brawl is the worst game ever made. and I was like, 13 back then, rofl. I was such a loser.

You can't ACTUALLY infract me for saying Brawl is the worst game ever made. I refuse to believe that.
This is not in the Global Rules, but rumor on the street says that I can be infracted for this statement, but I refuse to believe it. I would like confirmation from the higher powers.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sounds like you're saying so simply to get a reaction, it's trolling, so yes.

Sariku

Smash Master
When an opinion can become a troll statement due to the fact vocal inflection can't be recognized correctly on the internet, I know that this is now a pitiful world.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Did you seriously ask that question just to bring your post to our attention?

Sariku

Smash Master
I asked that question as I needed to make sure for the future, when I decide my negative opinions on a game should be stated, that I'll need to edit out any bashing of a game that has the words "Smash Bros." in the title.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Hello, I just wanted to let you guys know that SWF has recently been getting a "bad gateway" messages at random times when I'm browsing through the site; meaning the site is down at times, I just wanted the authority to be aware of this if you guys haven't already noticed. Thanks

:phone:

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
When an opinion can become a troll statement due to the fact vocal inflection can't be recognized correctly on the internet, I know that this is now a pitiful world.
So you think my opinion that every one that isn't American sucks is fine, because vocal inflection can't be recognized correctly on the internet? Good to know.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I just noticed today that the disco room was available to me again, but I have not payed for more premium, so this must be an error. While I would love to go back, I morally would find it to be stealing if I used it while not paying for it.

Sariku

Smash Master
So you think my opinion that every one that isn't American sucks is fine, because vocal inflection can't be recognized correctly on the internet? Good to know.
Yes, it is fine because it's an opinion. Sure, this is a family friendly site but mine was about a game that this forum is all about in an unrelated forum to the game. If someone mentions to me how I used to be a Brawl fan, I will respond with I think that game is trash. If that's seriously against the rules, then let me be banned next time I break it. :/ Because that's a ******** rule.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Sariku, i think you are going about this in completely the wrong way. No, expressing your opinion is not against the rules, but be mindful that this is a site about super smash brothers, and brawl is one of the most popular games. Many of the examples you have used are boarderline offensive, rude, untactful and otherwise unsociable.

Sariku

Smash Master
Sariku, i think you are going about this in completely the wrong way. No, expressing your opinion is not against the rules, but be mindful that this is a site about super smash brothers, and brawl is one of the most popular games. Many of the examples you have used are boarderline offensive, rude, untactful and otherwise unsociable.
So the unwritten rule here is that I can't state an opinion that a 12 year old would find mean because Brawl is his favorite game? Or I need to be mindful of the many users on SWF who would actually find offense to a SWF nobody stating that he has a severe dislike for a game in a non-trolling manner in a forum completely unrelated?

You should make that a written rule, because I had absolutely no idea that SWF is scared of people getting butthurt by such simple comments.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I don't think you understood my post. Its not what your opinion is, but rather how you express it. Yes you will get in trouble if you post offensively. No you aren't convincing anyone or helping your cause by insulting the people trying to help you or answer your questions.

Sariku

Smash Master
I don't think you understood my post. Its not what your opinion is, but rather how you express it. Yes you will get in trouble if you post offensively. No you aren't convincing anyone or helping your cause by insulting the people trying to help you or answer your questions.
My question was answered ages ago. All you're trying to do is prove a point, which I'm arguing is complete bull****. If people can't handle a comment from me of all people (the only people that see that have known me even over YouTube since January), then they can kindly get a life and grow some balls. :]

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
well said pseudo staff member sveet lol.

lets be real here...what are u really adding to the conversation?

if u said I don't like the overly defensive nature if the game, lack of technical difficulty, and slower game speed and that you find melee or 64 more favorable...im sure u will be fine.

but brawl is gay, **** that ****....come on really? even ppl who agree with you don't really care to read that. its unprovoked spam...just a bottomless empty opinions. id hope that you could do better.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Global Rules 7.0 said:
2. No Flaming/Trolling
Respect other users. Flaming (insulting, heated arguing with) other members is not allowed. Demeaning or derogatory comments based on race, religion, sexual orientation, culture, ethnicity, handicap, nationality, or gender will not be tolerated. Physical threats against and repeated harassment of other members is strictly prohibited. If another user is flaming or harassing you, you should not retaliate--instead, report it to a moderator.
Sariku, you should probably refer to that part of the global rules. Specifically the first and second sentences.

Sariku

Smash Master
So next time I need to ****ing say that I dislike Brawl because the characters suck, it's slow, it's unbalanced, the stages are boring, the new players are annoying; the examples are endless. ORRRR in a thread that consists my friends in a forum that I'm going to go ahead and call my baby, you're telling me that I can't express my opinion in my own terms of "This game is abysmal"?

It's hardly spam. People care to read someone's opinion. It's not like I compared the game to their mom or something. They can seriously GTFO. :]

Oh, so now a user saying people should sack up is considered flaming and trolling? Mods must have flack jacket or something, because they're untouchable by it.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
nobody cares to read this game is abysmal. its no different then brawl sucks, brawl is gay, barwl.

cause and effect make complete post. I don't like this game because is much more suitable.

bottom line, because im sensing a bit of immaturity from you...you are missing the bigger picture, but bottom line is this is a public forum open to all those who follow the rules, and yes some are at moderator discretion....nothing you can do about it. "sack it up" and follow the rules or don't plan on keeping your account long.

Sariku

Smash Master
Oh my, I didn't know being a sensible human being is seen as immature to closed-minded people like yourself. If you wish to read through my posts, you can check and see that I'm an outstanding poster and follow the rules to the T. The issue is that having an opinion that people with the mentality of a 12 year old would find offensive is an unwritten rule. I think that should change.

I'm done wasting my time here now though. I got my answer, and I'll hold my opinions back. I hope arguing with me was really worth your time.

- Jason

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
What Frown said.

Hello, I just wanted to let you guys know that SWF has recently been getting a "bad gateway" messages at random times when I'm browsing through the site; meaning the site is down at times, I just wanted the authority to be aware of this if you guys haven't already noticed. Thanks

Yeah, we're aware of it (Getting them too) Not quite sure what's causing it but Bionic's poking around to find out.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
so i got a question for the site, generally.

sometimes when i try going to this site, www.smashboards.com, it will say "502 Bad Gateway." This doesnt havent every time, but it happens often. also, on 1 of my other computers, whenever i try to go to smashboards, the page only loads up to the user blogs section - never past that.

y is this?

Frown

poekmon
so i got a question for the site, generally.

sometimes when i try going to this site, www.smashboards.com, it will say "502 Bad Gateway." This doesnt havent every time, but it happens often. also, on 1 of my other computers, whenever i try to go to smashboards, the page only loads up to the user blogs section - never past that.

y is this?
When this is happening to you, it's most likely happening to everyone else as well. It's a server error that most of us can't do much about.

Top Bottom