• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Just an update for whoever it was that was asking earlier, we are going ahead with Regional mods. Expect them to be instated by the end of this week.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
*Edit*
Apparently I had my settings set to time zones in the southern hemisphere...oops. Sorry.
My previous question was about daylight savings, but that just kind of...resolved itself.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
How does the "Join membership" thing actually work? Do the mods in power get a Pm, or do they just have to check it?

Skywalker

Space Jump
Is it against Forum Games rules to post your signature, even if it's equal or less than the post? I have a one-line signature.

jaej

Smash Journeyman
How many posts do you have to have before you can change your title, like 'smash journeyman'?

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
how do you go from being a smash n00b, to a smash child etc...

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
sorry about that, I didn't see the the post above, and about the double post. I'll go kill myself now...

demonsbane105

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it's been asked before but is there any way to customize your avatar? I'd like to load one from my computer. uh... sorry. forgot to disable sig. heh heh... heh.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Skywalker, we just don't like it when people post huge sigs with one-line posts. My sig is about equal to one line, so I usually leave it on too.

jaej and yorpy, that's been explain in this topic before, just check back and you'll find it.

demonsbane, you can get a custom avatar with Premium membership, or by winning a contest. Keep an eye on the Announcements room for contests.

F8X

Smash Ace
Is it possible to create a new skin the same as revolution but able to fit you screen?

I have a 20 inch monitor that looks great when on swf in Smash blue. Its just a pain when rev looks so much better and you only get a small area for posts. I know its a big request but I just figured I would post it up.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Can we get an actual moderator for the SSB forum? I don't think Gideon checks it a lot.

forward

Smash Champion
You know what I think would make smash boards more fun? A more general general discussion. The caption for this room is "General Discussion at it's prime. Come here to talk about life, sports, or virtually anything else." However you can't talk about video games, that's for another discussion room. You also can't talk about anime, movies, and music, that too is for another room.

Just a thought, y'know

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I don't really know how the skins work.

We'll look into the SSB room.

It doesn't make any sense to have a room that talks about everything when we have specific rooms.

I'll probably put up some new avatars from the trailer in the next few weeks.

The only ways to get a custom avatar are to get Premium Membership or to win a contest. Keep an eye on the Announcements room for information on contests.

forward

Smash Champion
It doesn't make any sense to have a room that talks about everything when we have specific rooms.

And I quote, "General discussion at its prime. Come here to talk about life, sports, or virtually anything else."

The point of this forum is general discussion, but there are so many other forums that it's no longer general, it has become "talk about anything that's not covered in the other forums.

Why can we talk about sports in the pool room? Shouldn't sports have it's own forum, just like movies and games do? Don't answer that, I don't care about the answer I'm only trying to prove a point. My point being that general discussino has already been mangled so much, why stop there?

It's annoying browsing through so many forums just to see topics that could all be put into one.

Have you noticed that most recognizable smashers, or smashers who post in the tournament discussion areas, don't post in the pool room? Honestly, I don't think I've seen one pro smasher post in here. I think what I'm trying to say is, I'd like to see everyone on smashboards in the general discussion, and I think a good way of doing so is cutting back on unneccessary forums.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
I don't really know how the skins work.

We'll look into the SSB room.

I'll probably put up some new avatars from the trailer in the next few weeks.

The only ways to get a custom avatar are to get Premium Membership or to win a contest. Keep an eye on the Announcements room for information on contests.
Is there a reason why you are having to answer these questions for the 17th time?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Earlier when I got my 700 somthingth post, I got a message saying
"If you have opted to post a poll, you will now be allowed to do so."
I thought it meant that I could post polls, so I looke into the FAQ. It said that thre is an option to post a poll in the lower corner, but I can't find it. Where is it? Or, does this actually mean I can post polls?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
So forward, whose job is it to decide which rooms are unecessary and which aren't? We're a primarily video-game based forum (obviously), so not only do we have specific rooms for the game the forum is based on, but on games in general. Since many people who are interested in games are also interesting in movies and other kinds of media, we have a room for that. We have a room for Pokemon because Gid made it a long time again and people still talk about it there. We have an F-Zero room because we have an F-Zero site, although it's not the focus of the forum.

My point is that the way things are run now are run the way they are because they are. That's how we do things around here. The fact of the matter is that we just have too many members, topics, and ideas to even ATTEMPT to contain them all in a single room. The Brawl Character room can barely contain its own discussion, and the scope of that room is pretty narrow. It's necessary for us to split up the rooms in some kind of fashion, and this is how we've chosen to do it.

You can apply to be a Tournament Director in Usergroups in your UserCP.

I'm not totally sure about the polls and who can post them, can another Mod fill in this part?

forward

Smash Champion
So forward, whose job is it to decide which rooms are unecessary and which aren't? We're a primarily video-game based forum (obviously), so not only do we have specific rooms for the game the forum is based on, but on games in general. Since many people who are interested in games are also interesting in movies and other kinds of media, we have a room for that. We have a room for Pokemon because Gid made it a long time again and people still talk about it there. We have an F-Zero room because we have an F-Zero site, although it's not the focus of the forum.

My point is that the way things are run now are run the way they are because they are. That's how we do things around here. The fact of the matter is that we just have too many members, topics, and ideas to even ATTEMPT to contain them all in a single room. The Brawl Character room can barely contain its own discussion, and the scope of that room is pretty narrow. It's necessary for us to split up the rooms in some kind of fashion, and this is how we've chosen to do it.QUOTE]

To answer your first question, it is the site director/owner's decision to decide which rooms are necessary and aren't. However why must you come off with that condescending tone? This is the thread of questions and suggestions, but it seems like everytime someone has a suggestion the mods are quick to shoot down their idea... Anyways back on topic.

From what I've seen this forum does not have too many members, topics, and ideas to put into less rooms. The general forums of the shoryuken.com site has influenced me to suggest this in the first place.

Checking the stats SWF has almost 50,000 members. The SRK forums have 45,000 members. Although SWF has more members, the most members ever online was 611, while SRK has had 3,000, which leads me to believe it has a much larger active user count. At this moment SRK general discussion has 80 members viewing, compared to a total of 7 on SWF.

IMO, I believe that the debate hall, light house, pit stop, and media metropilis could easily do away with and be catagorized in the Pool Room. Since this is a smash website it is fair to give smash64 it's own forum, just the way melee and brawl have theirs. While the pokemon thread seems to sustain enough topics that it may be too much for just one thread (which even then, is debatable).

Now just because this is the way you've chosen to seperate the rooms, it doesn't mean it's the best. Only a fool would say that they can't improve something. In the matter of the brawl character discussion, I agree, it is a very active room. However, outside of any smash related topics on this website the numbers are small, and topics are few and far between.

I would like to hear that you guys would take all this into consideration. That my idea and arguements will be brought up in the mods discussion area, and givin some discussion about it, you could to a reasonable answer, one that doesn't simply say, "we can't."

Skywalker

Space Jump
Can an administrator remove the infractions box in my User CP, if it's not too much trouble? I currently have 0 points, and it's somewhat annoying to see.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Can a person get a warning or infraction for sending in a false warning post? Let's say for example that I click on the send warning post sign at somebodies post for no reason, could I get in trouble for that?
I doubt it. We aren't that picky.

To answer your first question, it is the site director/owner's decision to decide which rooms are necessary and aren't.
Despite your opinions otherwise aparently.

However why must you come off with that condescending tone? This is the thread of questions and suggestions, but it seems like everytime someone has a suggestion the mods are quick to shoot down their idea... Anyways back on topic.
Why don't we just remove all webpages from the internet and just have one page. Is that a good or smart idea? It's not. Is merging rooms that deserve to be seperate a good idea? No, it's not.

From what I've seen this forum does not have too many members, topics, and ideas to put into less rooms. The general forums of the shoryuken.com site has influenced me to suggest this in the first place.
Some rooms are seperate for a reason. Like McFox said.

Checking the stats SWF has almost 50,000 members. The SRK forums have 45,000 members. Although SWF has more members, the most members ever online was 611, while SRK has had 3,000, which leads me to believe it has a much larger active user count. At this moment SRK general discussion has 80 members viewing, compared to a total of 7 on SWF.
Well since this is a videogame based forum, and a good number of people might make an account just to ask a question, I'm not suprised that another forum has more active members.

IMO, I believe that the debate hall, light house, pit stop, and media metropilis could easily do away with and be catagorized in the Pool Room. Since this is a smash website it is fair to give smash64 it's own forum, just the way melee and brawl have theirs. While the pokemon thread seems to sustain enough topics that it may be too much for just one thread (which even then, is debatable).
Why should discussion about videogames be mixed with discussion on the existance of God and topics on cakes? It makes no sense.

Now just because this is the way you've chosen to seperate the rooms, it doesn't mean it's the best. Only a fool would say that they can't improve something. In the matter of the brawl character discussion, I agree, it is a very active room. However, outside of any smash related topics on this website the numbers are small, and topics are few and far between.
Actually, that's a matter of opinion. All the other rooms get a good workout.

I would like to hear that you guys would take all this into consideration. That my idea and arguements will be brought up in the mods discussion area, and givin some discussion about it, you could to a reasonable answer, one that doesn't simply say, "we can't."
I was pretty sure McFox gave you a reasonable answer, which you've now gone and argued against it. McFox didn't say "We can't", it was more of a "We have no reason to change it, and thusly, won't."

forward

Smash Champion
Despite your opinions otherwise aparently.

Well it's also up to the mods to suggest who becomes new mods and when we need new mods but that changed from me suggesting didn't it? This is the SUGGESTIONS topic after all.

Why don't we just remove all webpages from the internet and just have one page. Is that a good or smart idea? It's not. Is merging rooms that deserve to be seperate a good idea? No, it's not.

You have givin me no reason as to why they should be seperate.

Some rooms are seperate for a reason. Like McFox said.

McFox said "It's necessary for us to split up the rooms in some kind of fashion, and this is how we've chosen to do it." He never gave me a reason why.

Well since this is a videogame based forum, and a good number of people might make an account just to ask a question, I'm not suprised that another forum has more active members.

Ok, this is not just *another* forum. This is shoryuken.com, there is where smashboards got the idea for regional zones, character specific forums, and regional mods. This forum seems to be significant in its influence on smashboards.

And anyways you missed the point completely. I was showing you that more active users in a more general general discussion isn't threatening.

Why should discussion about videogames be mixed with discussion on the existance of God and topics on cakes? It makes no sense.

Why should discussion of sports be mixed with topics on cake? Why should topics on cake be mixed with topics on girlfriends? Why should girlfriends be mixed with the clothes you wear? Geez that makes no sense. Why not just keep breaking down the forums?

You see how bad that logic is?

Actually, that's a matter of opinion. All the other rooms get a good workout.

Ok, so if saying the other forums are slow is an opinion, then saying that they get a good work out is also an opinion. Well what makes your opinion correct? You know what makes mine correct? The fact that right now the number of people viewing the general discussion forums, gaming forums, arts and entertainment forums, and smash rpg forums COMBINED is only 13. The COMBINED number of viewers on smash related topics is 145.

If >10% of viewers is considered a good work out... then wow, I give up on life.

I was pretty sure McFox gave you a reasonable answer, which you've now gone and argued against it. McFox didn't say "We can't", it was more of a "We have no reason to change it, and thusly, won't."
Ok, I gave you a reason to change it, bring more of the community together, instead of seperating them into smaller and smaller groups. If other people thought the same as me, would you then have a reason to change it?

Remember, this website makes money from advertisements, so you want people browsing the forums for as long as possible. If a more general discussion brought greater browsing of the forums do you still not have a reason?

P.S. Thanks for the negative rep annonomys.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Why should discussion of sports be mixed with topics on cake? Why should topics on cake be mixed with topics on girlfriends? Why should girlfriends be mixed with the clothes you wear? Geez that makes no sense. Why not just keep breaking down the forums?
Because we don't have a lot of topics about sport, cake and so on. But we do have a lot of topics on Videogames that aren't smash, lots of debates and so on.

Plus the debate hall is also designed to keep out people who would post once ina debate then not post again.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
All I can tell you is that the rooms are separated the way that they are now because we've decided that there's enough discussion going on in each to warrant a room dedicated to it. There aren't enough topics about sports for its own room, etc. Of course it's not a perfect system, and of course other forums do it differently. That's what makes us different from them. I really don't like the idea of just copying stuff other forums are doing because that's how they do it. If you don't like the rooms the way they are now, then I'm sorry. If you REALLY feel strongly that it's really important that the rooms be mixed, bring it up in the Forum Disputes and all the admins can take a look at it. Although I will tell you now, saying "shoryuken does it this way" isn't exactly convincing.

demonsbane105

Smash Journeyman
demonsbane, you can get a custom avatar with Premium membership, or by winning a contest. Keep an eye on the Announcements room for contests.
do you get premium membership by winning a contest or are there other ways? (such as post count)

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
How do you know when have become a tornament director? sorry i just really want to know... i already applied...what can i expect?

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
When M3D has enough time to look over your application.

EDIT: Its Gid not m3d. I saw tournament director but I read smash back room for some reason.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Yikes, I walked in here hoping to make a suggestion about forum divisions only to see a dispute on that very topic. Crap. Well, I may as well say it anyway. I apologize for adding wood to the fire. :(

Would it be possible to split Melee Discussion into two forums? One forum would focus on item-free, competitive melee; the other would focus on "everything else" (1P mode, items, 2v2 tactics, etc.). I hate reading threads on "NEW TACTICS" only to read about some weird trick with a fire flower. :(

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Gid is in charge of Tournament Directors, not M3D. M3D is in charge of the Smash BRoom.

And Buzz, it's come up before, but I really don't think it would do any good to split it up. It would end up being the Spam Melee room and the Low-Traffic Melee room.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
How do I use a signature which I have uploaded to the site? I see that it has been uploaded (it shows at the bottom of my EDIT SIG page), but I do not know how to make it show up.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Any chances of better "Report Post" options? Moderators cant be around all the time so I was thinking that there would be some sort of "servere violation" option where particularly bad posts with things like pornography, can be kept from public view until a mod checks things out.

Seriously, the porn that influenced me to suggest this has been up for four hours with no mods in sight. A hundred and two people have seen it already.:(

Top Bottom