• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Presents: Doomslayer - A Smash Perspective Part 1

During Smash speculation, the words “likeliness” and “iconic” get thrown around a lot. It’s obvious there is a certain set criteria that helps determine if a character is suitable for Smash. Popularity, uniqueness, playability, and how iconic a character is are all important factors. In this new series of articles, I want to look at character who are from series who have yet to appear in Smash. This series will contain two separate articles to address Doomslayer and then the Doom franchise.

Smashboards Presents: Doomslayer - A Smash Perspective

41F56B2D-6EBE-4A93-9B63-6B968FA1F276.jpeg

Written by Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom with assistance by @NonSpecificGuy

Introduction to Doom and Doom Slayer

Very few games have impacted a whole genre the way Doom has. While certainly not the first shooter, it helped pioneer and influence the genre by its fast-paced gameplay and the need to solve puzzles while gunning down enemies. Though Doom has had its share of controversies since the beginning; the series is still going strong with a new game, Doom Eternal, coming this year. Doom is well-known for its fast-paced action, heavy-hitting visuals, and it’s dark and violent atmosphere.

Doomguy Character Overview

0D0ABAB7-A3C1-4D21-A07D-37F64D779E55.png

The Doom Slayer goes by many names: Doomguy, Doom Marine, Space Marine, etc. In each Doom game, he is shown to be extremely powerful and steadfast against the forces of Hell. He is an expert at almost every firearm he picks up. In Doom (2016), he fights using a powerful battle suit called the Praetor Armor which gave him superhuman abilities. Doom Slayer, being an expert in firearms, could have access to several firearms found within the Doom games. Doom Slayer would be a heavyweight with above average speed and have the ability to deal high amounts of damage. Doom is a game where you have to constantly be moving and thinking so we felt that this kind of playstyle works well for Doom Slayer. In terms of design, Doom Slayer’s alternate costumes could be split between his 2016 version and the Doomguy version.

Doom Slayer Specials and Final Smash

Neutral Special: Loadout

Doom Slayer can cycle between one of five firearms: Super Shotgun, Pistol, Gauss Cannon, Plasma Rifle, and the Rocket Launcher. Each weapon has different properties, damage output, firing speed, animations, and knockback output. Knowing which one and how to use it is pivotal in gaining victory. Doom Slayer’s screen icon would feature which gun is selected.

1E7D9B53-CEC0-4C18-B5BE-1EB837764362.png

The Super Shotgun is Doom Slayer’s default firearm. Once he has selected a firearm, he must use it until the Ammo runs out. At that point, he switches to the Super Shotgun and then can change to a new gun. Ammo replenishes over time but it recharged faster by hitting and KO’ing opponents by hitting opponents with the Side Special, Chainsaw. I have given Doom Slayer a chance to deal more damage for a limited time through his Down Special, Quad Damage/Berserk, to increase his weapon and melee damage output. This changes the functions of Loadout which draws inspiration from Modifications found in Doom (2016)

BE9CFA85-CABC-40D0-A2F3-504037AA5CF0.jpeg

Super Shotgun: Deals 13% up close and 10% further away, has good stopping power, but a slow rate of fire. In Quad Damage Mode, it fires a repeating blast followed by the initial blast. The repeating blast deals 15% up close and 14% further away. It has unlimited ammo which allows it to always be used.

504F19C0-054C-41F8-A7AE-4FF799D24357.png

Pistol: A sidearm that favors precision and accuracy. It deals only 5% per shot but has a wide hit box and a quick range of fire. In Quad Damage mode, it can be charged to fire a larger energy round which deals 8% per shot. It has 10 rounds per use.

F95C8B14-818A-4804-81EC-ED25B3899C2F.png

Gauss Cannon: A large rifle that fires ammo magnetized for higher velocity. It deals 8% per shot but does 15% damage if it breaks a Shield. The Quad Damage form becomes an electric beam that has a wider radius. It does 3% per bit while active. The Gauss Cannon has 20 rounds per use.

75E87821-380B-4212-9898-A3A62B2E5921.jpeg

Plasma Rifle: It has a high rate of fire and functions similar to Fox’s laser with zero hitstun and minimal damage. It deals 2% per bit. The Quad Damage version releases damaging energy spheres that are slower but does 8% per contact that’s similar to Zero Suit Samus’s Paralyzer. The Pulse Rifle has 30 rounds per use.

D4F55033-587B-4B9C-AEC2-982DFDB8AA70.jpeg

Rocket Launcher: Fires an extremely powerful rocket that deals up to 20% damage. The rockets fire in a straight line but the Quad Damage version releases a homing rocket that also deals 20% damage. The Rocket Launcher has 5 rockets per use.

AC80BB11-F1F2-4025-8234-ABF36F42B726.png

Side Special: Chainsaw/Glory Kill
Doomguy pulls out his Chainsaw and slashes forward. It deals 2% damage per hit bit deals 4% when charged. While in Berserk Mode, the Chainsaw can perform a Glory Kill that OHKO’s at 150% if all the hits connect. Performing a Glory Kill OHKO grants higher ammo restock plus adds slightly more health to Doom Slayer

Up Special: Delta V-Jump Boots/Rocket Launch/Meat Hook

This move depends on the weapon selected. With the Super Shotgun, he can fire the Meat Hook which functions similar to Joker’s up special but can attach itself to opponents and drag Doomslayer to them. The Meat Hook deals 5% damage. When the Rocket Launcher, he fires it below his feet which explodes and sends him high into the air. It also damages Doom Slayer and adds to the Berserk status. It deals up to 17% damage to opponents and 8% damage to Doomslayer. Finally, the default up special that’s used for every other weapon is the Delta V-Jump Boots which is a chargeable vault jump with Doom Slayer dealing damage on take off and landing. Taking off deals 10% and landing deals 14%.

Down Special: Quad Damage/Berserk

Doomslayer converts damage taken over a period of time into raw attack power. When performing melee attacks, it becomes Berserk and his fists glows red. When using firearms, it becomes Quad Damage and his firearms glows purple. He deals less damage with a smaller time duration at low damage percentages compared to higher ones. There is one downside that after the effect wears off, he suffers a sudden decrease in speed and more hitstun. As mentioned above, his specials change when in Berserk/Quad Damage Mode.

Final Smash: To Hell and Back

A Gore Nest opens up and drags the opponent into it. This transports the opponent into a cinematic Final Smash of burning chasm filled with all sorts of deranged and evil creatures. Several Imps launch a volley of energy blasts followed by a charge attack performed by Pinky. This is followed an appearance by the Cyberdemon who lunges forward, grabs the opponent, and throws them into the air followed by a barrage of missiles which detonates and launches the opponent pack through the Gore Nest. After leaving the portal, Doom Slayer appears in front of the opponent and fires a massive blast from the BFG which decimates the opponent and the demons trying to escape. Altogether, the Final Smash deals up to 65% damage.

Classic Mode: Smash the Wicked

Origins of the Name: Inspired by Level E4M3 of Ultimate Doom - Sever the Wicked

Concept: The Doom Slayer has one enemy. Evil. This Classic Mode is inspired by his tendency to go head first into Hell and kill every demon that gets in his way. This time he hunts for the adversary that has released evil onto this once peaceful Nintendo world.

Round 1 - Vs. :ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus:
Frigate Orpheon

Inspired by the first level of Doom 3 where the protagonist has to battle through an onslaught of possessed crew members on a pitch-dark Mars UAC Research Base.

Round 2 - Vs. :ultbayonetta:
Venom

Inspired by the Summoner in the games whose main form of attack is summoning more infernal demons to the battlefield just like our beloved witch.

Round 3 - Vs. :ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:
Norfair

Inspired by most Doom games first trip to Hell where you’re often bombarded by a slew of different demons to fend off. Chronicles Doom Slayer's descent into Hell.

Round 4 - Vs. :ultbowser:(Giant Pink)
Brinstar Depths

Inspired by the Baron of Hell, one of Hells most formidable demons. Chronicles Doom Slayer’s further descent into Hell to find the one behind the invasion of evil.

Round 5 - Vs. :ultganondorf:
Castle Siege 3rd Form

Inspired by Doom Eternal’s, Marauder who, by all intents and purposes, is essentially Hell’s answer to the Doom Slayer. Chronicles Doom Slayer’s discovery that the mastermind is on Earth.

Round 6 - :ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter: (Allies) Vs. :ultridley::ultkrool::ultlink: (Dark Alt.), :ultken: Violent Alt.)
Umbra Clock Tower

Inspired by Doom Eternal’s take of Hell on Earth from Doom II. Earth is overrun by Demons and only a few remain who are strong enough to hold them back

Final Round - Dracula
Inspired by Olivia Pierce and Samuel Hayden’s insistence that Hell, and in turn evil, is necessary risk for the betterment of the human race much like Dracula’s insistence on the eradication of the human species.

Miscellaneous Information

Alternate Costumes

555CA07D-4920-4188-A764-A2A6F6037505.png

Default: Doom 4/Doom Eternal.
Red: Based off the Demonic Armor set in Doom 2016 multiplayer.
White: Based off the Night Sentinels
Black: Based off the UAC uniform in Doom 2016 multiplayer.
Green (Based off pre-2016 Doomslayer)
Yellow
Blue
Pink

Taunts/Victory Poses

Any one of his Taunt or Victory Poses could be based off his taunts, dances, or poses in the Doom 2016 Multiplayer

Video by ScereBro PSNU

Victory Theme

Video by GB6

That wraps up our look into Doomslayer and what he could bring to the table in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. His inclusion would be quite the game changer and would stretch the boundaries of what is acceptable in Smash. In Part 2, we will look at what kind of Doom content that could be included in a potential Fighter’s Pass.

Author’s Note: What do you think of Doomslayer in Smash? Do you agree with this analysis that it portrays Doomslayer well? Let us know your thoughts down below!

Last edited:
Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

D
I keep saying this: Doom is way too mature (more so than Bayonetta, I might argue) to be added.

I keep saying this: Doom is way too mature (more so than Bayonetta, I might argue) to be added.
Well this is an easy indicator on how to find someone who has never played the OG Doom games. Go pick it up on Switch and you’ll see that its’s far less violent than any Bayonetta game.

Just honestly really sick of people only seeing NuDoom and going “It’s too violent1!!1!”. Doom can easily be toned down for a younger audience. You can design a moveset with brutality without having and blood or gore. Just look at Ridley. If you can’t conceive of that then that’s just a fault in your imagination.

I am absolutely sick of this argument being brought up.

DOOM has more to it than just wanton violence and gore, such as the iconic music and enemy designs. Hell, despite the fact that the character of the Doom Slayer largely involves his hatred of demonkind and his desire to rip and tear them apart, his brutality could still be represented in Smash whilst keeping the E10+ rating, such as having rather satisfying, bone-crushing (but bloodless) grabs and punches.

Also, in terms of "mature" games DOOM isn't even all that bad. The classic games in the series are very tame by today's standards and while 2016 and Eternal are indeed very violent, it's a means to make the games more satisfying rather than shocking. Compare that to something like the NetherRealm Mortal Kombat games, which contain fatalities that are downright sadistic and disgusting (and Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Raiden got into the T-rated Injustice series anyway so like that even matters), Manhunt, which involves killing people in over-the-top ways to the amusement of a snuff film director, or Postal, where every single crevice of it relies on crossing the line twice.

And you know, to compare the Doom Slayer to Bayonetta, the latter has finishers in her home series that are comparatively drawn-out and have a large element of sadism to them, whereas the former's are relatively quick and clean (even if they're portrayed in a gorier fashion).

Last edited:
D
This would be awesome DOOM deserves representation and Doomslayer would be a great pick.

Don't know kf he gets in but dang this is the kind of moveset I could see for him!

Very Interesting but to be honest if I had to choose I'd go for Master Chief, but he's never been on a nintendo platform before.

Last edited:
This would be awesome DOOM deserves representation and Doomslayer would be a great pick.

Don't know kf he gets in but dang this is the kind of moveset I could see for him!
I’m glad you enjoyed the write up. More often than not, I think the community is often too held up on wether a character is likely or not based on a set of criteria but never bother to entertain if that character actually got in.

If this set of articles are received well, I will be writing similar analysis articles not only on big name characters within DLC speculation but also on rarely-brought-up or very unlikely characters. While some my question “why?”, I say “Why not?”

Quick question if you're still looking at comments: What are his jabs, tilt, and smash attacks? BTW, love the article, you put a bunch of thought into this, and i can tell! Good job!

Last edited:
Quick question of you're still looking at comments: What are his jabs, tilt, and smash attacks? BTW, love the article, you put a bunch of thought into riots and i can tell! Good job!
In order to keep things condensed and less cluttered for easier reading; we decided to forgo normal and Smash attacks and focused solely on the specials and Final Smash. Thank you for reading and the comment!

While I can understand the concern, Doom Slayer can easily be toned down for Smash. They just have to remove the blood and dismemberment from his moveset, which would be easy because he has a lot of weaponry to work with. He would fit in well with Snake.

Last edited:
Isn't true road block lack of popularity in Japan? That's the argument that is constantly used against Master Chief, but Doom Slayer has this problem far worse.

Isn't true road block lack of popularity in Japan? That's the argument that is constantly used against Master Chief, but Doom Slayer has this problem far worse.
It could be, bit at the same time there is the part where Banjo wasn't wanted in Japan, but hey! He came. We could have something like that again. But you do raise a validpoint.

It could be, bit at the same time there is the part where Banjo wasn't wanted in Japan, but hey! He came. We could have something like that again. But you do raise a validpoint.
At least the first Banjo game sold around 455k or something like that last time I heard. Even Halo at its peak (Halo 3) sold 110k there. Still impressive, considering Xbox presence in Japan. That's the argument (or excuse) people bring to counter Banjo point. It's not my argument, but what I encountered in other site. "At least Banjo had more sales in Japan!"
So far, we haven't had characters whose popularity is high in west, but more obscure than Banjo in Japan. That's where they are getting at. But hopefully, they eat their shoes one day.

Last edited:
Excellent article, Venus!

Also, I really like your idea for his moveset, and how you tied Weapon Mods and Glory Kills to power-ups and the like. That doesn’t sound like something I would’ve come up with, but regardless, I think it’s good!

Ever since Smash Ultimate was revealed at E3, there have been so many characters added that break conventional rules. No heavily violent characters? Ridley hit the big time. No realistic firearms in Smash? Joker stole the show. No western characters? Banjo and Kazooie were raring to go. That character has to be relevant in Japan? Little Mac punched in. (I know, that was from SSB4, but you get the idea). With all these new characters it feels like things are opening up more and more for the Doom Slayer, and for us, his supporters, that’s a good thing. So again, I have to say that your article was excellent, Venus.

At least the first Banjo game sold around 455k or something like that last time I heard. Even Halo at its peak (Halo 3) sold 110k there. Still impressive, considering Xbox presence in Japan. That's the argument (or excuse) people bring to counter Banjo point. It's not my argument, but what I encountered in other site. "At least Banjo had more sales in Japan!"
So far, we haven't had characters whose popularity is high in west, but more obscure than Banjo in Japan. That's where they are getting at. But hopefully, they eat their shoes one day.
I actually didn't know the sales statistics, my friend told me, so that is actually really cool. And I'm crossing my fingers with you.

Also, I really like your idea for his moveset, and how you tied Weapon Mods and Glory Kills to power-ups and the like. That doesn’t sound like something I would’ve come up with, but regardless, I think it’s good!

Ever since Smash Ultimate was revealed at E3, there have been so many characters added that break conventional rules. No heavily violent characters? Ridley hit the big time. No realistic firearms in Smash? Joker stole the show. No western characters? Banjo and Kazooie were raring to go. That character has to be relevant in Japan? Little Mac punched in. (I know, that was from SSB4, but you get the idea). With all these new characters it feels like things are opening up more and more for the Doom Slayer, and for us, his supporters, that’s a good thing. So again, I have to say that your article was excellent, Venus.
"B-but Little Mac is still Nintendo property! He is easy to put! So he doesn't count!!"

Thanks for the awesome post! I have only played Doom since 2017 when it came out on the Switch but surprisingly fell in love with the series. Turned me from someone who despised FPS games to a FPS fan. I believe the Doom slayer/marine/guy (whatever he is called in this minute) has a chance to be a character in Smash, and is the best Zenimax character to pick. I know some people think he is too violent but I don’t think of it as a problem and others do. Blood can easily be removed and most of the weapons in Doom Eternal look fictional enough to be used. He is my top character wanted for smash and I would be in tears to see him in. Here’s to hoping the gets in for DLC!!!

Thanks for the awesome post! I have only played Doom since 2017 when it came out on the Switch but surprisingly fell in love with the series. Turned me from someone who despised FPS games to a FPS fan. I believe the Doom slayer/marine/guy (whatever he is called in this minute) has a chance to be a character in Smash, and is the best Zenimax character to pick. I know some people think he is too violent but I don’t think of it as a problem and others do. Blood can easily be removed and most of the weapons in Doom Eternal look fictional enough to be used. He is my top character wanted for smash and I would be in tears to see him in. Here’s to hoping the gets in for DLC!!!
Thank you for taking the time to read it. I had a blast writing it and I learned a lot about the Doom series. This is also a reminder that Part 2 which will cover other areas other than Doom will be coming very soon. Also, if you enjoyed this character analysis, please show your support for these articles as a good turn out lead to future articles covering more characters and series!

Last edited:
I just want one of the main 5 characters I want to be the fifth fighters pass character.
-Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
-Tree Rex (Skylanders)
-Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
-Tracer (Overwatch)
-Doom Slayer (Doom)

I see where you're coming from, but Metal Gear and Bayonetta are very explicit games, with MGS being a Mature 17+ game... Although I do admit, glory kills are one of the best parts of DOOM 2016 and I have no idea how they'd fit that in. (Considering it's basically a super violent finisher to a demon, one of which, being my favorite, is breaking the arm of a demon and using the arm to implode the head of said demon)

I see where you're coming from, but Metal Gear and Bayonetta are very explicit games, with MGS being a Mature 17+ game... Although I do admit, glory kills are one of the best parts of DOOM 2016 and I have no idea how they'd fit that in. (Considering it's basically a super violent finisher to a demon, one of which, being my favorite, is breaking the arm of a demon and using the arm to implode the head of said demon)
If anything, we know Sakurai can make it safer for a more general audience. Amirigh?

Excellent article.

I kind of like his gimmick being switching weapons, it was an integral part of his games (if mostly for resource managing).
I've been a fan of Doom since the mid 90's, and it left a really positive impression in me.

I used to lowkey want Doomguy in Smash in the very back of my mind, because I really thought he didn't stand a chance.

But suddenly, with how flexible 3rd party inclusions are becoming, and idSoft/Bethesda putting EVERYTHING Doom on the Switch. (Not to mention seeing so much support for Doomguy/slayer from so many people) he... might have a chance after all.
I still think he's unlikely, but at least I don't find him in pipe-dream status anymore. :)

That said, Doomguy is 1 of my 2 current most wanted characters in Smash, and after him I'm not as passionate for any other character to come afterwards.

Edit: Some of my ideas for Tilt attacks were, I think...

Pistol (jab)
Punch (ftilt)
Flashlight (Doom3) overhead swing (utilt)
Blade (Doom Eternal)

Last edited:
Excellent article.

I kind of like his gimmick being switching weapons, it was an integral part of his games (if mostly for resource managing).
I've been a fan of Doom since the mid 90's, and it left a really positive impression in me.

I used to lowkey want Doomguy in Smash in the very back of my mind, because I really thought he didn't stand a chance.

But suddenly, with how flexible 3rd party inclusions are becoming, and idSoft/Bethesda putting EVERYTHING Doom on the Switch. (Not to mention seeing so much support for Doomguy/slayer from so many people) he... might have a chance after all.
I still think he's unlikely, but at least I don't find him in pipe-dream status anymore. :)

That said, Doomguy is 1 of my 2 current most wanted characters in Smash, and after him I'm not as passionate for any other character to come afterwards.

Edit: Some of my ideas for Tilt attacks were, I think...

Pistol (jab)
Punch (ftilt)
Flashlight (Doom3) overhead swing (utilt)
Blade (Doom Eternal)
Those are some cool ideas! I think that the pistol could work, but would be more fun as a secial. As for the flashlight, It could work, but not many people have played doom 3. Which games have you played?

I appreciate any feedback, criticize, or comments for Part 1 of the Doomslayer Analysis as it helps with writing content for Part 2 as well as improving future articles for potential new characters for Smash!

Those are some cool ideas! I think that the pistol could work, but would be more fun as a secial. As for the flashlight, It could work, but not many people have played doom 3. Which games have you played?
Thanks!

I’ve played:
Ultimate Doom (eps 1~4)
Doom 2
Master Levels (I think..?)
Final Doom
Doom 64 (8 maps only)
Doom 3 (BFG Edition, expansions included).

I recently bought Doom 2016 but I’m saving it for when I beat DQ XIs. Just messed around with it a bit.

Thanks!

I’ve played:
Ultimate Doom (eps 1~4)
Doom 2
Master Levels (I think..?)
Final Doom
Doom 64 (8 maps only)
Doom 3 (BFG Edition, expansions included).

I recently bought Doom 2016 but I’m saving it for when I beat DQ XIs. Just messed around with it a bit.
Nice. I have only played doom 1 and doom 2016, so I just wanted to hear about the others. Beaten DQ11S, so fricking worth it!

Nice. I have only played doom 1 and doom 2016, so I just wanted to hear about the others. Beaten DQ11S, so fricking worth it!
Ah, well Doom 2 is Doom 1 with much more demons and a new weapon. People consider this the better one of the 2.

Doom 3 is the odd one of the bunch. IMO it tried to be Half Life when it didn’t need to. There’s a lot less ammo so the focus is mostly resource managing in the first half of the game at least. It’s also pretty dark, and again for the first half of the game you use the flashlight a lot. It became pretty fun on the 2nd half and expansions.

Doom 64 feels like a direct sequel to Doom 2 with updated graphics and all. Haven’t played this one much, but I was having n blast. The first few levels though were pitch black. Hopefully they fix this on the Switch release.

Oh and I am enjoying DQXI a lot. Best thing is I’ll have at least 4 more ways to play it. (2D, 3D with Japanese VA, and both with and without draconian trials). Can’t ever have more excuses to replay DQ titles!

Top Bottom