• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Mini-Recreates: The SSB Series Rosters

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the proposals:

Pupp135 Pupp135
Mario
Luigi
Link
Samus
Marth
Captain Falcon
Kirby
Fox
Ness
Pikachu

DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 / Louie G. Louie G.
Mario
Link
Samus
Marth
Captain Falcon
Kirby
Fox
Wario
Ness
Pikachu

darkvortex darkvortex / nirvanafan nirvanafan
Mario
Link
Samus
Marth
Captain Falcon
Kirby
Fox
Wario
Pikachu
Meowth

M Master Hero Sock-on-Rye
Mario
Luigi
Link
Samus
Marth
Captain Falcon
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Meowth

Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
Mario
Luigi
Link
Samus
Marth
Captain Falcon
Kirby
Fox
Wario
Pikachu

Vote for your three most wanted.

1. DragonRobotKing26 / Louie G.
2. Mine
3. Master Hero Sock-On-Rye

Job 7: Submit a Newcomer for E3 2001.
Sheik OoT.png
Based on the suggestions below, I entertained the idea of King Dedede, but I’ll nominate Sheik instead. At the time of Melee’s development, Sheik was Zelda’s role with the most agency at the time, and the moveset‘s cool.

Last edited:
  1. Pupp135
  2. darkvortex / nirvanafan
  3. Mine.
Job 7: E3 2001 Newcomer

I submit Donkey Kong to be our E3 Newcomer. We already chose him as the poll's winner, so I'd imagine he would entice more customers.

If he and Bowser aren't on the table for this exhibition, then I choose the Ice Climbers.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #06:
  1. Darkvortex / Nirvanafan
  2. Pupp135
  3. Master Hero Sock-on-Rye
Job #07:
(I'm presuming that this submission is exclusively based on the list y'all ended up with here after Job #05.)
With that in mind, I'd suggest Meta Knight - a prominent rival character from a headlining Nintendo series makes a lot of sense to showcase as a high-profile newcomer, and I reckon his design is cool enough to also pique the interest of people who aren't particularly familiar with him, both of which are great qualities for a newcomer introduced at E3.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
  1. Pupp135
  2. darkvortex / nirvanafan
  3. Mine.
Job 7: E3 2001 Newcomer

I submit Donkey Kong to be our E3 Newcomer. We already chose him as the poll's winner, so I'd imagine he would entice more customers.

If he and Bowser aren't on the table for this exhibition, then I choose the Ice Climbers.
I should’ve mentioned this earlier, but Bowser and Donkey Kong are in the E3 2001 trailer.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes:
Pupp135 11
DragonRobotKing26 / Louie G. 11
darkvortex / nirvanafan 10
Master Hero Sock on Rye 8
Northsouthmap 2
Please use this poll to vote for DragonRobotKing26 / Louie G. or my proposal.

Here are the nominations:
Pupp135 Pupp135 Sheik
M Master Hero Sock-on-Rye Ice Climbers
nirvanafan nirvanafan Zelda
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Ganondorf
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Yoshi
darkvortex darkvortex Peach
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Meta Knight

Vote for your three most wanted newcomers, where yours is not first.

1. Icies
2. Sheik
3. Peach

1. Yoshi - The other missing invite from Smash 64, next to Donkey Kong.
  2. Ganondorf - Hopefully, with him being revealed at E3, Ganondorf will be more unique.
  3. Sheik - If it was up to me, I'd scrap the transformation gimmick and just have Sheik by herself.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Peach
2. Sheik
3. Zelda

We could really use more girls on the roster. I dig some of these other choices too but I don’t think they ought to take precedent over Peach. Yoshi almost made it on here but I kinda like the idea of keeping Sheik around, maybe even as their own thing.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
  1. Peach (An iconic and long-lasting character in the Mario universe who also brings a bit of female representation? Sounds good to me!)
  2. Ganondorf (Given he's one of Nintendo's most iconic villains, I think it'd feel like a big deal for him to actually be revealed here.)
  3. Sheik (As described, this is a really cool concept. I wouldn't be against it, especially as their own thing as people've mentioned.)

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes

Sheik 6
Ice Climbers 12
Zelda 13
Ganondorf 4
Yoshi 7
Peachn 14
Meta Knight 4

Princesses Peach and Zelda finalize the E3 2001 roster.

Also, we’ll go with darkvortex/Louie G.’s proposal where Wario and Ness become starters.

Job 8: Submit a character not from Mario, Donkey Kong, or Legend of Zelda
Ice Climbers.PNG

I’ll nominate Ice Climbers here as it’s nice to have a throwback pick, and the double team gimmick led to a cool moveset

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Job 8: Mewtwo

I think Melee made the right choice prioritizing Mewtwo next for Pokemon. On the heels of his big movie, he's the defacto legendary Pokemon and offers a distinctly fresh essence to the roster through his psychic powers and intimidating, demigod-like presence. And we definitely need a new Pokemon anyway.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
This one's a little difficult, because I have two particular concepts on my mind. That said, given I reckon we'll probably get a dedicated clone job down the line, I'll go with my more unique submission, that being...

Lip is in a uniquely decent state for inclusion this time around. Nintendo's got a couple of decent puzzle games and franchises under their belt, but a lot of them use already-existing characters. However, a neat little exception to this is Lip, the main character from Panel de Pon.

At this point in time, the series is in a surprisingly decent state - while Lip herself only appeared in Panel de Pon, the series continued onward with games like Pokémon Puzzle League - and an emulated N64 remake that originally made up that game would be included in 2003's Nintendo Puzzle Collection. Plus, Melee was the game that actually added Lip's Stick (as in, the item), as well as Fire Emblem content, so previously Japan-exclusive stuff is hardly off the table here. Also... did you know that a garbage block from Panel de Pon has been one of Kirby's Stone forms since Melee, too?

Not only that, she's got plenty of moveset potential with her magical girl-inspired fairy magic and the like, even on top of taking additional elements from the actual Puzzle League games and gameplay loop. Whether it be a couple of her attacks using her Watabou in a very loose precursor to Rosalina & Luma, some elemental fairy magic based on the different elements seen in the series, or actually just using straight up panels to drop on opponents, there's potential here.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the nominations:
Pupp135 Pupp135 Ice Climbers
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Ridley
nirvanafan nirvanafan King Dedede
M Master Hero Sock-on-Rye Isaac
darkvortex darkvortex Feraligatr
TORNADO BUS DRIVER TORNADO BUS DRIVER Ayumi Tachibana
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Samurai Goroh
Louie G. Louie G. Mewtwo
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Lip

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Mewtwo
2. Icies
3. Dedede

Job 9: Submit a Clone
Young Link.png

I think that Young Link was a clever choice during Melee’s development cycle as he helped provide a faster Link. Also, a child Link was a recurring thing even before Melee.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
  1. Mewtwo (Brilliantly obvious candidate, makes sense to bring over from the real world!)
  2. King Dedede (I like the point of a game between entries. Plus, he's a pretty iconic and unique character for this roster!)
  3. Ayumi Tachibana (Honestly, really inspired pick that I've always had a soft spot for.)
Shoutouts to Feraligitr for being a pretty inspired Pokemon submission, and both Ridley and Samurai Goroh for taking inspiration from a pretty clever source. Submissions all around here though were pretty awesome!

Job #09.
Clone Name: Ryota Hayami
Clone Origin: Wave Race 64 (1996)
Clone Of?: Captain Falcon

I don't know how we feel about cross-series clones (or, well, echoes), but this one makes a lot of sense to me. Wave Race is a decently prominent series around this time after the popularity of Wave Race 64 spawned a sequel, Blue Storm - and Ryota's design in that game would feature over in Melee anyway as a Trophy. Plus, I don't think you need to actually have him ride his jet ski akin to how Falcon isn't driving around the Blue Falcon, but their shared DNA as "drivers of fast vehicles in racing games" really helps in this regard.

In the most general sense, he'd be a little slower than Captain Falcon in terms of ground speed, but he'd have faster attacks - though this is offset by them being on the weaker side and lacking a fire property, instead having a watery look and maintaining great combo potential while slightly lacking in outright kill moves. Additionally, Ryota's a little shorter than Captain Falcon, and he has a couple of different animations and voicelines here and there for things like his idle animation, taunts, and victory screen.

Maybe he could also have a water-based projectile as a neutral special, if we're allowing a larger difference akin to like, Marth/Roy? If that were the case, his neutral special would let him create a chargable wave projectile on the ground (akin to the Water Wave in Mega Man 5), but if used in the air, it'd work more like Terry's aerial Power Wave. (After all, KoF was a big inspiration for the Smash series.) Seems like it'd really change things up in terms of how you'd actually play him!

Last edited:
  1. Mewtwo
  2. King Dedede
  3. Lip
Job 9: I Think I'm A Clone Now

I submit Wolf as an echo for Fox.
Wolf O'Donnell | Villains Wiki | Fandom

I think this would make as much sense as Falco did, but for more malicious intent.

Imagine if Mr. O'Donnell were to destroy Team Star Fox from the inside. All he'd have to do is dabble in vague silhouettes, and their leader would be framed for (insert crime here).

My point is, you would only need to change the aesthetic to Fox's moveset at this early point in the series.

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
  1. Mewtwo (Brilliantly obvious candidate, makes sense to bring over from the real world!)
  2. King Dedede (I like the point of a game between entries. Plus, he's a pretty iconic and unique character for this roster!)
  3. Ayumi Tachibana (Honestly, really inspired pick that I've always had a soft spot for.)
Shoutouts to Feraligitr for being a pretty inspired Pokemon submission, and both Ridley and Samurai Goroh for taking inspiration from a pretty clever source. Submissions all around here though were pretty awesome!

Job #09.
Clone Name: Ryota Hayami
Clone Origin: Wave Race 64 (1996)
Clone Of?: Captain Falcon

I don't know how we feel about cross-series clones (or, well, echoes), but this one makes a lot of sense to me. Wave Race is a decently prominent series around this time after the popularity of Wave Race 64 spawned a sequel, Blue Storm - and Ryota's design in that game would feature over in Melee anyway as a Trophy. Plus, I don't think you need to actually have him ride his jet ski akin to how Falcon isn't driving around the Blue Falcon, but their shared DNA as "drivers of fast vehicles in racing games" really helps in this regard.

In the most general sense, he'd be a little slower than Captain Falcon in terms of ground speed, but he'd have faster attacks - though this is offset by them being on the weaker side and lacking a fire property, instead having a watery look and maintaining great combo potential while slightly lacking in outright kill moves. Additionally, Ryota's a little shorter than Captain Falcon, and he has a couple of different animations and voicelines here and there for things like his idle animation, taunts, and victory screen.

Maybe he could also have a water-based projectile as a neutral special, if we're allowing a larger difference akin to like, Marth/Roy? If that were the case, his neutral special would let him create a chargable wave projectile on the ground (akin to the Water Wave in Mega Man 5), but if used in the air, it'd work more like Terry's aerial Power Wave. Seems like it'd really change things up in terms of how you'd actually play him!
Actually, this would have gone hard.

Top Bottom