• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Mini-Recreates: The SSB Series Rosters

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Ness
2. Pit
3. Banjo

Trying to think practically about this. This has already happened with Ness, I laid out why it may work for Pit and Banjo seems practical enough as well. With Banjo, I think we ought to have something Rare-related here if DK isn’t. But needing to be immediately cut next game is a point against them for now.

Some of these other suggestions just don’t feel like they make a lot of sense over their provided character like Yoshi or Meowth. In Meta Knight’s case, or Wario’s, it could work but I think I’d just like to put priority elsewhere for now.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes

Wario 10
Meta Knight 2
Meowth 12
Jago 1
Muddy Mole
Ness 12
Banjo 3
Yoshi 6
Pit 8

There is a tie between Meowth and Ness, so please use this poll to vote.

Job 3: Submit a Semi-Clone
Jigglypuff's original artwork from Pokémon Red & Green versions.

I’m sticking with Jigglypuff for this one as a Kirby semi-clone. I think it was a clever choice, and it was relevant at the time.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Ray Mk I as a Samus Semi-Clone.

New series about with a sequel coming out the year after Smash.

Not sure it would work especially with their decently different models but didnt really have any other ideas i like.

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
I think Wario could have another shot. He has used a couple moves like the Fireball in canon and could be diversified later down the line.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Ray Mk I as a Samus Semi-Clone.

New series about with a sequel coming out the year after Smash.

Not sure it would work especially with their decently different models but didnt really have any other ideas i like.
Job 3: Saki Amamiya (Samus' Semi-Clone)

I will submit Saki as Samus Semi-Clone
Because Custom Robo was first released in late 1999 and Sin & Punishment came out in 2000, these characters would unfortunately be ineligible given SSB64’s timeline.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the nominations
Pupp135 Pupp135 Jigglypuff
M Master Hero Sock-on-Rye Takamaru
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter Wario
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Falco

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Wario
2. Jigglypuff
3. Takamaru

For the Ness vs Meowth poll, I ended up deciding to add both of them to make the scenario more realistic (I considered doing a job where the last fighter was open ended, but I don’t know how much went into Ness and the scrapped fighters, and job 2 would’ve been repeated otherwise).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Wario
2. Takamaru
3. Falco

Since Meowth is getting added now, I think we can skip out on Jigglypuff. Also still do not feel right bringing Wario in without DK but it is what it is.

For the Ness vs Meowth poll, I ended up deciding to add both of them to make the scenario more realistic (I considered doing a job where the last fighter was open ended, but I don’t know how much went into Ness and the scrapped fighters, and job 2 would’ve been repeated otherwise).
With respect, what does Meowth have in common with Mario? I'm not saying we should walk this back but in the future, personally I'd like for people to back up these kind of character choices with some explanation of how it would work because it feels like this vote would have went about the same even if the Job had nothing to do with character bases. I like Meowth a lot but I had trouble visualizing him in this way.

Just a suggestion, don't want to sound pretentious about it but I feel like it's not a tall order. Like if we're saying a character can be built off another character, you should be able to back up why you feel that way IMO.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes

Jigglypuff 9
Takamaru 9
Wario 23
Falco 7

Wario is the last fighter added for our SSB64 roster. Before we start with the Melee roster, I have three questions to ask?

Should I set something kind of like a Smash 2 poll? Thr most voted fighter would added automatically.

My take: I think having a Smash 2 like poll is cool to have, so we can gauge what we want going into the next game.

How many clones should we have on the Melee roster (max is 6)? Please note that clones cannot be replaced with unique fighters.

My take: I’d keep at 6 as the more the merrier in my opinion. Also, I don’t think we’d get too many bug fixes by excluding clones.
What do you like about the SSB64 roster, and who do you wish was added/will be added in alternate Melee?

My take: It‘s cool to see Marth and Wario on this roster even though Donkey Kong feels like a large omission. I like Jigglypuff and Yoshi, but their typically viewed as the most expendable from SSB64.

Based on our SSB64 roster, I feel like Mario and Mario adjacent characters is going to take a (justifiably imo) big part of the newcomer lineup as were missing Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Bowser, and Peach.

In terms of other newcomers, I’d like to see Ice Climbers and Sheik, but I understand that they’re typically considered as more expendable fighters.

Last edited:
Should I set something kind of like a Smash 2 poll? Thr most voted fighter would added automatically.

How many clones should we have on the Melee roster (max is 6)? Please note that clones cannot be replaced with unique fighters.

What do you like about the SSB64 roster, and who do you wish was added/will be added in alternate Melee?
Yes, you should add a Smash 2-esque poll. I'm pretty sure the sky's the limit here.

I would like to see six clones added. Sure, they only became loved in Ultimate, but it does add more characters to the game.

I do like how there are more properties added, and we could see a Game Boy Color port of this game with that roster. However, I wish we got DK and Yoshi added to the game. That is why I think a Smash 2 poll would be great, because DK would win by a landslide.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That sounds like a pretty good idea, I feel like you might want to take more than one character from that poll but either way. Not sure how large the sample size will be and I feel like its results are fairly obvious, but would be cool to see.

6 clones is fine. We attempted to replicate the 64 roster in the same manner that it was originally developed so Melee should be the same. Of course that means once it comes to Brawl, we'll have to determine which of these characters gets cut blah blah blah. But yeah I think we should probably try to stick as true to the identity of each roster as possible.

Well, it's nice that Marth and Meowth are there I suppose. Wario is cool, but would sit better with me if Donkey Kong wasn't missing. I really feel like we kind of messed up not adding DK to the roster, as I said before that's not only a neglect of one of Nintendo's biggest IPs and characters at the time but also the absence of the superheavy archetype that would be come a staple moving forward. I'm sure he will be added in Melee, but it makes our 64 roster not sit so well with me.

I'm a bit uncertain how much wiggle room we're going to have in our version of Melee now. Perhaps DK replaces Marth, since he's already in. Bowser and Peach need to return, probably Zelda too, hopefully Mewtwo and I really sincerely hope there's enough love for Game & Watch to save him. Sheik and Ice Climbers are unorthodox choices beyond that who I'd gladly welcome back but may fall by the wayside here. If they must be replaced by someone I think I'll be advocating for King Dedede, and maybe Yoshi's absence will be felt here as well, although I expect that Ganondorf might make it instead.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Based on the feedback above, I’ll set up a Smash 2‘esque poll, and we’ll add 6 clones.

Job 5: Vote for your three most wanted fighters for our alternate Melee.
1. Donkey Kong
2. Ice Climbers
3. Peach

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes
Bowser 9
Peach 7
Donkey Kong 17
Ice Climbers 2
Ganondorf 2
Zelda 3
Yoshi 5
King Dedede 5
Meta Knight 1
Muddy Mole 1
Ray MK II 2

Donkey Kong is our first Melee newcomer. Even though Melee has a limited unique newcomer size, I decided to also add the second place fighter, who is Bowser in the case (I’m confident Bowser probably would’ve been added pretty soon after).

Job 6: Submit a list of Ten Veterans to show at E3 2001
Mario
Luigi
Link
Samus
Marth
Captain Falcon
Kirby
Fox
Wario
Ness
Pikachu
Meowth
Mario
Luigi
Link
Samus
Marth
Captain Falcon
Kirby
Fox
Ness
Pikachu

Last edited:
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Marth
  6. Kirby
  7. Captain Falcon
  8. Fox
  9. Pikachu
  10. Meowth
Wario and Ness can be revealed through a Nintendo Power article, and we have to give ample screen time to DK and Bowser's reveals. I will say that if Yoshi doesn't get in here, he's most likely getting an Assist Trophy role in Brawl.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
:ultmario::ultlink::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultfalcon::ultkirby::ultwario::ultfox::ultness::ultpikachu:

Pretty similar to what we actually saw at E3, just with Marth / Wario replacing Yoshi / DK.

Worth noting, Wario Land 4 drops a few months before Melee so he’s still quite a hot commodity with an active series to his name. Luigi can be regulated to an unlockable character this time with the number of Mario newcomers likely being high.

Top Bottom