• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Mini-Recreates: The SSB Series Rosters

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Job 30:

Additions:
1. Shulk
2. Villager
3. Robin

Cuts:
1. Isaac
2. Black Shadow
3. Krystal

If someone’s getting cut because they won’t work on the 3DS, my bets are on Isaac. He’s going to be heavily demanded going into Ultimate.

Black Shadow’s time has passed, and I’m okay leaving him behind.

Krystal also just takes Wolf’s position of possibly missing the boat.

Job 31:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultpit::ultolimar:
How would Isaac not work on the 3DS? He's not a duo or transformation character

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the results

King K. Rool 2
Little Mac 7
R.O.B. 8
Palutena 1
Mega Man 4
Robin 5
Bandana Waddle Dee 5
Crash Bandicoot 1
Villager 16
Mii 4
Shulk 7

Villager and R.O.B. are the first two newcomers, and they’d be revealed around E3 2013

Here is the tally for supported veterans

Mario 9
Luigi
Wario
Link 9
Samus 9
Marth 4
Captain Falcon 4
Kirby 9
Fox 6
Ness 1
Pikachu 9
Meowth
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser 4
Princess Peach
Donkey Kong 7
Yoshi
Princess Zelda
Black Shadow
King Dedede
Falco
Diddy Kong
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Ridley
Dark Samus
Pit 7
Lyn
Ike
Meta Knight
Krystal
Blaziken
Grovyle
Mudkip 1
Lucario
Isaac
Olimar 2
Snake
Sonic

Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Pit are confirmed to be in E3 2013. Please use this poll to determine if Bowser, Marth, or Captain Falcon should be the last E3 2013 veteran.

Based on the votes, it appears that the majority would like me to set up a poll for the Gen 6 Starter Pokemon. I’ll include the poll below.

Job 32: Submit a Newcomer from a Represented Franchise.
Game & Watch
Super Mario / Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Wario
Gyromyte
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Fire Emblem
F-Zero
Kirby
Star Fox
Mother
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Golden Sun
Pikmin
Metal Gear
Sonic the Hedgehog

Portrait robin m fe13.pngPortrait robin f fe13.png
I’ll nominate Robin from Fire Emblem to promote Awakening’s release, and I like mage characters.

Submit a List of 6 Veterans to Return
Submit a List of Four Veterans to Return
Add Newcomers from an Unrepresented Series
Add One/Two Third Party Fighters
Vote for three veterans
Submit Newcomers (Open Ended)
Submit Last Minute Clones.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Job 32: Bowser Jr. (Super Mario)
IMG_6609.png

At this point in time, it’s unclear whether he would use his actual Smash moveset with the Clown Car, or my previously proposed idea of a Sunshine/NSMB moveset.

I was kind of bummed he didn’t make it into the alternate Brawl roster. Anyhow, I’d like him to get a chance here.

As for Rosalina… while I like the character, I cannot get behind a puppet fighter myself. It’s just not very intuitive for me. I think the niche has its place, and I won’t be against its latter inclusion, but I’m just gonna go with this little rascal for now (especially if we bring Daisy back from Melee).

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Character Name: Ravio
Character Origin: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)
Franchise: The Legend of Zelda

Given the Zelda franchise is currently represented by the Triforce trio, I don't think it'd be a bad call to suggest another rep to add to the fold - and circa-2014 is probably a pretty good time for it, too. That said, I also want to lean into Sm4sh's dual focus on home consoles and handhelds with a handheld rep... and Ravio springs to mind as a great candidate for this. His moveset could easily be made up of a wide variety of items from ALBW or the greater classic Zelda series, and he was notable enough to be included as Hyrule Warriors DLC down the line.

(However, if he's too recent to have reasonably had the chance to be included, feel free to let me know. I have another idea as a backup.)

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Impa

The next most reoccurring Zelda character? Saw a big push at time with Skyward Sword & Hyrule Warrior plus Sheik is not on our roster so any conflict their doesnt exist.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Job 32: Bandana Dee (Kirby)
banda.png

Kirby's franchise has never gotten a newcomer after Brawl for a really long time.

Plus, some representation from non-Sakurai AKA Modern era would be nice alongside him.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Huh, didn't expect ROB to pull through this early on. Cool!

By the way, how are we handling third parties? Are we going to move ahead with Mega Man and Pac-Man?

Based on the votes, it appears that the majority would like me to set up a poll for the Gen 6 Starter Pokemon.
In the future (so I guess for Ultimate) I think you should just open the floor for us to choose any Pokemon from the latest generation. Like I said before, we don't have any word that Sakurai was limited to exclusively starters and could have very easily looked at several designs for other wild Pokemon and legendaries. Let alone the unevolved forms of starters... there are too many options here for it to be fair to limit our options.

For this one though, I'm not gonna fight it too hard. We would obviously end up choosing Greninja anyway. I'm just saying I don't really like this kind of arbitrary restriction in a game that should be letting us have more authority over those choices - particularly stuff like "choose a starter" which I'm certain is a trend many of us would be interested in subverting, if anything.

Job 32: Genesect (Pokemon Black & White)
1718592695188.png

Alright, hear me out. First of all... how could you not love this thing. It's one of the coolest Pokemon ever. Its design is so striking and pretty much instantly gives you an idea of how it may fight...

But if that doesn't convince you on its own, I want to shed light on the fact that we have been able to add a Pokemon from every single generation up to this point. I realize this is kinda arbitrary - but I think we've been able to achieve this pretty organically so far. So what next? Well, as we know Gen 5 was less than fortunate in receiving a new character for Smash 4. I don't personally care that much about maintaining some sort of generational balance on paper, but now that we've made it this far I think it's at least worth considering tapping into Black / White for further inspiration. Being able to say "we have a Pokemon from every generation" would be an interesting way to give our AU another unique quirk.

So does Genesect hold up in its own right? The "Legend Awakened" movie featured Genesect (and Mewtwo) as a central figure, so around the time the game was being developed this thing was fairly relevant. It is also the last Pokemon in Unova's Pokedex, so it's something of the last note Gen 5 left off on. I think there are a lot of striking things about Genesect's design and concept that would make it a compelling fighter too. We technically have a steel type Pokemon in Lucario, but he doesn't really utilize it. Genesect is steel / bug, a typing that is assured to make it stand out among the pack so far... moreso than Zoroark, who I considered but ultimately felt overlaps too much in design and ability with some other fighters. And I feel like Smash hasn't explored robot characters as much as it could... Mega Man is kind of his own beast, and ROB is a totally different kind of robot. Nobody quite as sleek as Genesect.

I realize we're already going to be seeing a Pokemon newcomer in Greninja, and we've got a few returning Pokemon to decide what to do with. It may not be a series we want to pile a whole bunch of new content onto. But I wanted to take a risk on a new idea, a Pokemon that I thought would have been really cool back in the day and which may let us continue our trend of a more fleshed out representation of Pokemon's history. The catch is we might have to shed off a little more than expected... I guess we'll get there if we get there.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Huh, didn't expect ROB to pull through this early on. Cool!

By the way, how are we handling third parties? Are we going to move ahead with Mega Man and Pac-Man?

In the future (so I guess for Ultimate) I think you should just open the floor for us to choose any Pokemon from the latest generation. Like I said before, we don't have any word that Sakurai was limited to exclusively starters and could have very easily looked at several designs for other wild Pokemon and legendaries. Let alone the unevolved forms of starters... there are too many options here for it to be fair to limit our options.

For this one though, I'm not gonna fight it too hard. We would obviously end up choosing Greninja anyway. I'm just saying I don't really like this kind of arbitrary restriction in a game that should be letting us have more authority over those choices - particularly stuff like "choose a starter" which I'm certain is a trend many of us would be interested in subverting, if anything.
I plan on setting up a job for third party newcomers, and the next time we handle a promotional pokemon (Ultimate in this case), I’ll let it be more open ended.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
From the polls, Bowser and Greninja are added.

Here are the nominations
Pupp135 Pupp135 Robin
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Bowser Jr.
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Rosalina & Luma
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Ravio
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Palutena
nirvanafan nirvanafan Impa
Mamboo07 Mamboo07 Bandana Waddle Dee
D darkvortex King K. Rool
TORNADO BUS DRIVER TORNADO BUS DRIVER Ashley
Louie G. Louie G. Genesect
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP Hades
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter Magolor

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Palutena
2. Robin
3. Rosalina & Luma

Job 33: Submit for a list of 6 Veterans to Return
Luigi
Wario
Marth
Captain Falcon
Ness
Meowth
Mr. Game & Watch
Princess Peach
Yoshi
Princess Zelda
Black Shadow
King Dedede
Falco
Diddy Kong
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Ridley
Dark Samus
Lyn
Ike
Meta Knight
Krystal
Blaziken
Grovyle
Mudkip
Lucario
Isaac
Olimar
Snake
Sonic

:ultpeach::ultzelda::ultmarth::ultfalcon::ultsonic::ultolimar:

Princesses Peach and Zelda help flesh out the Super Mario and Legend of Zelda series respectively. Marth and Captain Falcon round out our alternate original 8. Sonic is the poster child for third party picks. Olimar is relevant enough to add here in my opinion.

Vote for three veterans

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
1. Palutena
2. Bowser Jr.
3. Robin

I think these three make the most sense. Rosalina would have come fourth here, but I thought I’d spice it up a bit.

I think the other suggestions are either calling it too early or too much of oddball suggestions, which while nice, I’d rather focus on obvious inclusions. Pokémon I feel has an obvious inclusion who I think should join at this stage.

Job 33:
I’ll just back Pupp’s lineup here.

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Veterans:
:4bowser::4zelda::4falcon::4ness::4myfriends::4sonic:

Falcon, Bowser and Ike's returns would bring some hype, Zelda gives us another female fighter, Ness is a legacy pick and Sonic speaks for himself; this also gives us a nice balance of two fighters from each game thus far.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
From the polls, Bowser and Greninja are added.

Here are the nominations
Pupp135 Pupp135 Robin
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Bowser Jr.
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Rosalina & Luma
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Ravio
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Palutena
nirvanafan nirvanafan Impa
Mamboo07 Mamboo07 Bandana Waddle Dee
D darkvortex King K. Rool
TORNADO BUS DRIVER TORNADO BUS DRIVER Ashley
Louie G. Louie G. Genesect
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP Hades
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter Magolor

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Palutena
2. Robin
3. Rosalina & Luma

Luigi
Wario
Marth
Captain Falcon
Ness
Meowth
Mr. Game & Watch
Princess Peach
Yoshi
Princess Zelda
Black Shadow
King Dedede
Falco
Diddy Kong
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Ridley
Dark Samus
Lyn
Ike
Meta Knight
Krystal
Blaziken
Grovyle
Mudkip
Lucario
Isaac
Olimar
Snake
Sonic

:ultpeach::ultzelda::ultmarth::ultfalcon::ultsonic::ultolimar:

Princesses Peach and Zelda help flesh out the Super Mario and Legend of Zelda series respectively. Marth and Captain Falcon round out our alternate original 8. Sonic is the poster child for third party picks. Olimar is relevant enough to add here in my opinion.

Vote for three veterans
Job #032
  1. Robin (Makes a lot of sense as the new Fire Emblem rep, and their moveset is really unique compared to everyone we have so far.)
  2. Palutena (I think her role as a showcase for the custom moves system is pretty cool, plus a new Kid Icarus character makes sense around now.)
  3. Magolor (A really cool Kirby rep, who feels especially fitting for this time period.)
Shoutout to Hades, Genesect and Impa especially who came close to my third spot. Submissions across the board are great here, though!

Job #033

:ultluigi::ultmarth::ultgnw::ultganondorf::ultlucario::ultsonic:

An eclectic mix of icons, which I think would be a decently logical group to bring back. Luigi's pretty much a must-have, Marth's an obvious Fire Emblem candidate, Mr. Game & Watch - while a little odd - still feels absolutely worth keeping around, Ganondorf extends our Zelda representation in a cool way, Lucario's a popular Pokemon candidate who people will be glad to see back, and Sonic makes it clear that third-parties are still on the table.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Job #32:
1. Bowser Jr.: he was among the characters I would have liked back in Brawl. I consider him to be a top priority pick for this game, being an iconic villain from the Mario series. Not much else to say, Junior is probably one of the more iconic Mario characters added relatively recently (that is, he has more than 20 years now, but most of the Mario characters were a thing way back in the day) and definitely the one that made the biggest splash in the past decades.
2. Waddle Dee: huge fan of the Kirby series and huge fan of Waddle Dee specifically, I think he could lend himself to an entertaining moveset. Also, as pointed out, some representation for the post-Sakurai era of Kirby, which actually makes up about half of the series, is a healthy for the Smash series and while some other characters might be more popular (Magolor comes to mind), none of them stood the test of time like Waddle Dee. As a side note, I keep referring to him as just Waddle Dee because I like it way better as a name
3. Ravio: completely biased pick, but I find this rabbit-wearing mysterious character to be very charming and I think that a moveset based on the many items you can rent from him could be ingenious.

Job #33:
:ultpeach::ultluigi::ultolimar::ultmarth::ultzelda::ultkingdedede:
A royal selection here, as four out of six entries are made up by aristocracy, but the idea, in a nutshell is that:
  • Peach and Luigi are shoo-ins, honestly it doesn't make much sense to hide them for too long and, again, I praise the decision of having them being the third and second veterans to be revealed after E3. The first one would be...
  • Olimar! Makes sense as he is a very well-loved character from a currently unrepresented series that had a title launched around that time. Again, I'm just following Sakurai's footsteps here, but I think it makes sense.
  • Marth is yet another one of the Original 8 is a nice foil to Luigi, as they both would be traditional unlockable veterans from Smash 64 that are now starters (much like Captain Falcon and Luigi himself in Smash for) and we need some early Fire Emblem representation, since Fire Emblem is of course gaining at least a newcomer and a veteran.
  • Princess Zelda balances things out nicely in terms of, well, Zelda representation. It's funny to notice how, in our original timeline, Toon Link was the second Zelda character to be confirmed for a comeback, but here I think that Zelda makes still a lot of sense (and maybe we want to save Toon Link for later, I can see him being an unlockable character)
  • King Dedede was a personal pick. Personally, I wanted to push Falcon back a little bit because I believe that having one of the Original 8 to be delayed (à la Yoshi in Smash for) makes sense and Falcon is such a hype character that he could feasibly be added along with a newcomer to increase the hype
For this job, I wanted to focus on a "reveal" approach. Maybe it is unrequested, but I've lived the release cycle of Smash for and I still remember it fondly, so it is a sort of nostalgia trip to me (this is part of my coming to an age character arc)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Palutena - She was one of my most wanted characters for Smash 4 and I'd like if she could be in this roster too. Uprising is a great game and everyone at the time was excited to see what it could offer to Smash. If we're looking at series that have seen massive boosts between games, it's Kid Icarus...

2. Robin - ...and Fire Emblem. Yeah, Awakening is a really important game. It's founded the modern direction of the series and its success arguably saved it from retirement. I think Robin was the right move out of the game's protagonists, and a mage juxtaposes well with the kind of fighters FE has garnered thus far. Feels like a no brainer, if any series was gonna see new content in Smash 4 this is the most obvious answer.

3. Bowser Jr - I would have liked to be more creative with these picks, given the innovation from many of you in your pitches, but we're still setting the stage on this game and working out the essentials. Mario ought to get at least a new character and Bowser Jr is probably the smartest choice. He's been a rising star since Sunshine and between Brawl - Smash 4 has only gotten brighter. And his clown car provides a striking, fun gameplay hook to explore.

So with that, and the addition of Greninja, I think we tap into the series that most warrant new characters. If we do another round like this, I'll try to endorse more varied characters who may not have been so fortunate in our universe's version of Smash 4. But 4 was quite efficient with its newcomers and I'm sure we'll largely follow in its footsteps. Little Mac and Shulk are no brainers in upcoming rounds, and I'm sure Mega Man and Pac-Man will return.

Out of these, I'd be interested to see Magolor or Ashley come up again later. Ravio is a cool idea too, although I'm skeptical of whether or not he'd be viable for consideration for a roster decided in 2012. Not impossible, but Pokemon usually remains the sole exception.

I want to speak a bit on BWD, just because it's something I've been thinking about for a little while - as much as he's remained a persistent part of the series to this day, during Smash 4's project plan he really didn't exist to be much more than RTDL's Player 4. Come Triple Deluxe, he was regulated to a minor supporting role. For now, until he establishes his unique role in the series a bit further, Dee doesn't hold much weight on his own. I'm trying to judge this in the context of 2012 and not 2024, so he just doesn't strike me as very compelling yet. Probably a conversation I'd be more interested in having next game.

Job 33: :ultluigi::ultpeach::ultzelda::ultkingdedede::ultridley::ultolimar:
An extra character to boost most of the major series, as well as the protagonist of a series that has just received a new game that year. Pokemon just got Greninja and I'm satisfied letting Fire Emblem show off the new guy before we bring back the old heads (assuming Robin makes it). Ness and Falcon should return soon, but I don't mind letting them be added a little later. In their stead I just want to stick my neck out for Dedede and Ridley.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes
Robin 14
Bowser Jr. 16
Rosalina & Luma 5
Ravio 1
Palutena 15
Impa 4
Bandana Waddle Dee 12
King K. Rool 1
Ashley
Genesect 2
Hades
Magolor 2

Bowser Jr. and Palutena are the next newcomers.

Luigi 5
Wario
Marth 7
Captain Falcon 6
Ness 2
Meowth
Mr. Game & Watch 1
Princess Peach 5
Yoshi 1
Princess Zelda 9
Black Shadow
King Dedede 6
Falco
Diddy Kong
Ganondorf 3
Toon Link
Ridley 5
Dark Samus
Lyn
Ike 1
Meta Knight 1
Krystal
Blaziken
Grovyle
Mudkip 1
Lucario 1
Isaac 1
Olimar 9
Snake
Sonic 8

Princess Zelda, Olimar, Sonic, Marth, Captain Falcon, and King Dedede will join the list of added veterans.

Job 34: Submit a Third Party Newcomer

I’ll submit Sora here to try something different. Kingdom Hearts had been popular at the time, and he has an interesting moveset.

Vote for three veterans

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Job 34: Ryu (Street Fighter)
IMG_8459.png

Might go for something different here, with an alternative Capcom representative. Mega Man was neat, but I wonder how Smash 4 would have fared with Ryu instead.

Top Bottom