• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Mini-Recreates: The SSB Series Rosters

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm gonna sit out nominating this round because I really only have interest in supporting Mega Man or Pac-Man.

Big maybe for Ryu, although I'd probably still prioritize Mega Man first. Everyone else can wait.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the nominations
Pupp135 Pupp135 Sora
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Ryu
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Pac-Man
nirvanafan nirvanafan Crash Bandicoot
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter Mega Man
D darkvortex Simon Belmont
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP Banjo & Kazooie
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Rayman

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Mega Man
2. Sora
3. Pac-Man

I have Mega Man first as he was the most requested third party going into the real For. Pac-Man feels like an obvious choice, so I have him in my list of votes.

Job 35: Submit a List of Four Veterans to Add.
Luigi
Wario
Ness
Meowth
Mr. Game & Watch
Princess Peach
Yoshi
Black Shadow
Falco
Diddy Kong
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Ridley
Dark Samus
Lyn
Ike
Meta Knight
Krystal
Blaziken
Grovyle
Mudkip
Lucario
Isaac
Snake

:ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdiddy::ultridley:

All four of these veterans would be used to expand franchises currently on the roster. I went with Luigi and Peach as Luigi is one of the originals, and Peach feels more important to reveal than Yoshi in this timeline. Diddy Kong and Ridley were used to help catch up on Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
1. Sora(If he gets added, he should be in his Dream Drop Distance outfit since A.) most recent appearance then and B.) It was on the 3DS)
2. Banjo - Kazooie
3. Pacman

1. Luigi
2. Peach
3. Ganondorf
4. Ridley

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Mega Man
2. Pac-Man
3. Ryu

Can we please not mess with this that much? Sonic / Mega Man / Pac-Man is perfect - if we want to shuffle around for Ryu instead then okay. Everything else feels a little superfluous to me right now. Like sure, Sora and Banjo are cool, but that doesn't feel like a fair, even trade. We don't know if they would be feasible for base game Smash 4, and I'd rather stick closer to what is. Mega Man was the most popular choice, and his reveal was huge. Pac-Man is Pac-Man. No notes. I know, I'm waiting for this game's roster to take more liberties too... but I feel like this isn't the place. That's a DLC conversation.

Up to this point all of our choices have been well within the realm of possibility and have been fairly equal, practical exchanges for others. I like working within those boundaries. Collaborating with Microsoft (a western company), DISNEY (no elaboration needed), etc is going to be way different, way more difficult and likely way more expensive than collaborating with Capcom and especially Namco. It will make our roster feel a bit unreasonable. I kinda wish we just grandfathered the third parties in again like Brawl or at least voted within the confines of Capcom and Namco. I really hope we just decide to keep this as is.

Job 35: :ultluigi::ultpeach::ultridley::ultness:
With the likes of Captain Falcon reinstated, I'd like to bring back Ness as well. Earthbound actually just had a highly promoted release on Virtual Console in July 2013, so that's a good opportunity to sync up his reveal on the website or at least justifies the series being in the public eye again. Luigi / Peach are obvious and Ridley is just someone I'd like to see back sooner than later, it looks like everyone else is on the same page there.

I'm a little bit torn on how I'd like to handle Pokemon too. For now I'm cool with just leaving it Pikachu / Greninja and figuring that out next batch.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Job #34:
1. Mega Man: Come on, his addition in irl Smash 4 was the best choice they could have gone with. He was a super popular, super requested fighter for a reason, although I'd personally say I was more into and I like better...
2. PAC-MAN: yeah. PAC-MAN is one of my favorite third party reveals ever, probably because I remember I saw him for the first time in a YouTube thumbnail and I thought "Nah, there's no way they included Sonic, Mega Man, AND Pac-Man. This must be a hoax" only to turn out that it was, indeed, true. However, I acknowledge that Mega Man was the more relevant of the two, especially due to his relationship with Nintendo
3. Banjo & Kazooie: the least iconic of the three choices I picked overall, but by far the most Nintendo one! Fits the vibe super well, important for Nintendo, fun, what else?

Job #35:
:ultluigi::ultpeach::ultridley: :ultlucario:

Luigi and Peach should have been included in the previous job, imo, but probably their support was split between the two and we ended up having none. Sad. Ridley and Lucario round out the representation for Metroid and Pokémon respectively

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
:ultpacman:
:ultsimon:
Crash

HM - :ultbanjokazooie: , pains me to admit but limited 3rd party space leaves them as a better fit later on compared to others imo.

:ultness: (Meowth) :ultridley: (Isaac)

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes
Sora 5
Ryu 6
Pac-Man 19
Crash Bandicoot 2
Mega Man 16
Simon Belmont 5
Banjo & Kazooie 6
Rayman 1

Mega Man and Pac-Man are the third party newcomers being added.

Veterans:
Luigi 9
Wario
Ness 3
Meowth 1
Mr. Game & Watch
Princess Peach 8
Yoshi
Black Shadow
Falco
Diddy Kong 2
Ganondorf 3
Toon Link
Ridley 10
Dark Samus
Lyn
Ike
Meta Knight
Krystal
Blaziken
Grovyle
Mudkip
Lucario 3
Isaac 1
Snake

Ridley, Luigi, and Princess Peach are added. A poll will be used to decide among Ness, Ganondorf, and Lucario.

Job 37: Submit a Nintendo newcomer from an unrepresented franchise.

Game & Watch
Super Mario/Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Wario
Gyromite
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Fire Emblem
F-Zero
Kirby
Star Fox
Mother
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Golden Sun
Pikmin

Shulk Artwork.png
I’ll nominate Shulk here. Xenoblade was a new franchise that hadn’t been really popular yet, but it received Western releases around the time of project planning, and the Monado led to an interesting moveset.

Half of the roster has been added, so here are the next jobs that I was thinking of.
Submit a Nintendo Newcomer from a Represented Franchise
Add Two Newcomers
Add Two Fighters (not necessarily newcomers)
Add Three Clones (cut Melee clones are allowed here)

Submit Four Veterans (Like the April 2014 Direct)
Submit Three Veterans (Akin to Ike, Captain Falcon, and Meta Knight’s reveals)
Submit Two/Three Semi-Clones (Effectively Falco, Ganondorf, and if applicable, Toon Link’s reveals)
Submit Five Veterans (Effectively Ness, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, Wario, and R.O.B.’s spots)

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Chibi Robo

Feel like the series was getting a little push at the time with Photo Finder, as well in the near future being one the few non-Smash series amiibo & getting another 3DS game (for better or worse) being Zip Lash.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Takamaru.png

Takamaru
Sakurai has said that Takamaru was considered for Smash 4 in real life. His game gets ported to the Eshop around this time too.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Job 37: Little Mac
1719242398487.png

A little obvious sure, but it really feels like high time to add him to the roster and he's the character I'd like to see the most right now. Mac was pretty much fair game throughout Smash's entire run and now he's finally got a brand new game to reinvigorate interest in his series. I feel like I don't need to elaborate on this too much right? Punch-Out is a classic Nintendo game and Little Mac is a highly requested newcomer, he had a new game in 2009, he fulfills a distinct, untapped archetype within Smash. It just makes sense.

I want to submit a Rhytnm Heaven character,the girl from the series i think that is a good choice as fighter
I'm so happy that someone is nominating a Rhythm Heaven character! I'd probably suggest you give her a bit more of a distinct title, either the fan adopted "Tap Girl" or "Yuka" which is her official name according to Nintendo Badge Arcade. She's one of a few options I'd be content to have represent the series.

Last edited:

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
Dillon.png

Dillon
He had several games around this time including a very recent sequel. Came down to this or Wonder Red but felt that may be too new.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Chibi Robo

Feel like the series was getting a little push at the time with Photo Finder, as well in the near future being one the few non-Smash series amiibo & getting another 3DS game (for better or worse) being Zip Lash.
I can't see the image

Pupp135

Smash Lord
From the poll, Ganondorf is our next veteran.

Here are the nominations

Pupp135 Pupp135 Shulk
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Yuka
nirvanafan nirvanafan Chibi-Robo
D darkvortex Takamaru
Louie G. Louie G. Little Mac
TORNADO BUS DRIVER TORNADO BUS DRIVER Dillon
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Mi
Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Little Mac
2. Shulk
3. Mii

Job 38: Submit a List of Four Veterans to Return.
Veterans:
Wario
Ness
Meowth
Mr. Game & Watch
Yoshi
Black Shadow
Falco
Diddy Kong
Toon Link
Dark Samus
Lyn
Ike
Meta Knight
Krystal
Blaziken
Grovyle
Mudkip
Lucario
Isaac
Snake

:ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultness::ultlucario:

Diddy Kong and Yoshi are major characters missing from the roster at the moment. Lucario helps build up the pokemon selection. Isaac and Ness help bring forth more Nintendo series to the roster.

Upcoming jobs
Submit a Nintendo Newcomer from a Represented Franchise
Add Two Newcomers
Add Two Fighters (not necessarily newcomers)
Add Three Clones (cut Melee clones are allowed here)

Submit Three Veterans (Akin to Ike, Captain Falcon, and Meta Knight’s reveals)
Submit Two/Three Semi-Clones (Effectively Falco, Ganondorf, and if applicable, Toon Link’s reveals)
Submit Five Veterans (Effectively Ness, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, Wario, and R.O.B.’s spots)

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
1. Shulk
2. Little Mac
3. Mii

I’d rather see more obvious additions here first. Shulk is the obvious new face from a new series at this point, and Little Mac got a revival shortly before that.

Job 39: :ultyoshi::ultdiddy::ultike::ultlucario:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Yuka
2. Little Mac
3. Shulk

So aside from Punch-Out, my most wanted new series addition is Rhythm Heaven. I adore those games and they would bring an incredible amount of style and charm to the roster. I had been contemplating which RH character would be the best to nominate, and I put them on the backburner for Little Mac this round. But Yuka is a good choice, seeing how some version of a Rhythm Girl character has appeared in every game up to that point and the alternate costumes could play into that. Tap Trial, her game of origin, also involves the little monkey characters who have become a series staple. So perhaps she could be paired up with a little monkey on her shoulder, and otherwise would likely operate as a summoner of other faces and props from various minigames.

Little Mac and Shulk are no brainers, one receiving a revival prior to Smash 4's release and the other from a compelling new series and rising cult classic. Shulk is super obvious in retrospect, since Xenoblade has grown tremendously since 2014, but back then he was a risk. With Rhythm Heaven and Punch-Out having multiple games under their belt, I'm giving them slight priority. But I'm not worried about Shulk's odds, most of us seem to agree he should be here either way.

Honorable mention to "Mii", like just one Mii moveset. I think that's smart, we could do a lot with a couple extra free spaces. I'm not that compelled by a sports centric kit, but maybe just a goofy generalized kit involving bopping people around with those little nubs. Lots of punches and kicks, just given a distinct flair by the goofy personality on display in many Wii centric games. No bad choices this round really - I'd be down to take a gamble on Takamaru, and Chibi-Robo / Dillon are both cool and are at least a little active at this point in time.

Job 39: :ultdiddy::ultness: (Blaziken) (Isaac)

Two supplementary veterans, and two of the remaining unrepresented series. I don't want to leave any series behind, so I'm advocating for Ness and Isaac early. Diddy is obvious, and I'm choosing to endorse Blaziken first. At risk of splintering the Pokemon votes to an extent where none of them make it this round (pretty sure Lucario is in good shape anyway), I just think Blaziken is more interesting. He was seeing a very similar spotlight around this time, having a highly promoted (and cooler) Mega Evo and standing alongside Lucario in that original Pokken screencap. Plus, with Greninja here I think that fire / water dichotomy is important. So I'd like to keep him around, and if push comes to shove he just excites me a little more than Lucario.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Job #38:
1. Little Mac: I've said it countless times and I'll say that again: Little Mac deserves to be in. Being quite literally a bruiser from a classic Nintendo IP that had semi-recently had a revival makes him a no brainer. Again, personally speaking I would have had him in since Melee, but now we HAVE to add him in
2. Mii: another cornerstone of Nintendo, especially in the Wii/3DS/Wii U era (not as much today, I feel). I would not only accept, but even endorse a singular Mii style to leave room for more characters down the line, so this checks all my boxes. Again, Mii was a character I wanted in Brawl, so I hope they get their chance now.
3. Shulk: Xenoblade was a biggish thing when Smash for was releasing, which only blew up more and more as Ultimate released and eventually ended its development cycle, so I feel it's only natural we bring Shulk in. Plus, his moveset was very fun and ingenious

Honorable mentions go to Yuka and Chibi-Robo, two fresh and fun additions that I wish we will add (at least one of them), but these three characters, who all incidentally got in Smash for, are way too important to me

Job #39:
:ultlucario: :ultdiddy:(Isaac):ultyoshi:

Lucario, Diddy Kong, and Yoshi help fleshing out their respective series while Isaac adds back in a cool veteran from an otherwise unrepresented franchise

Top Bottom