• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Shonen Jump Vs. Capcom: Tankobon Throwdown

Should Jotaro’s classic fighting game stand mechanic return in Shonen Jump vs. Capcom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll start a poll for our title:

Now I’ll start the next job. It isn’t really a “job” because it’ll be on-going throught the thread but:

Job #21: Submit An Alternate Costume For Two Characters
A lot of games like this have alternate costumes so we’ll do it for this game. Please submit two alternate costumes (or one of you want) for two different characters. Whatever you decide will be added automatically although if people object to it then we can have a discussion and voting. Each character will have two alternate costumes but there will be a few characters that might be able to have more.

Like the MvC4 thread, you cannot submit alternate costumes that would change a characters voice or moves, so something like goku black or ken wouldn’t be allowed for this. Pitch shifted voices are allowed though. You also can’t submit two alternate costumes for the same character for now. Once pretty much everyone gets a chance to submit two costumes then you can submit more. If there are any questions about this please go ahead and ask.

Also, the design used on the front page is the default design of the character without any alternate costumes applied

I will submit:
Sogeking (Usopp)

College Phoenix Wright

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Kenshiro:

Bartender outfit (from the game Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise)

Wesker:

S.T.A.R.S. uniform (from Resident Evil 1)

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Jotaro: Part 4 Jotaro (needs pitch shifting)
1635279895039.png
We have Kira(s), we have Morioh, now we just need Part 4 Jotaro to continue the battle. Jotaro doesn't gain any abilities between Part 3 and 4 and neither did his battle style change. Pitch shifting needed to sound older.

Yoshikage Kira: Kosaku Kawajiri
1635280427097.png
When Yoshikage Kira was being chased into the Cinderella Beauty Salon, he decided to kill Kosaku and forced Aya to switch Kira's face with Kosaku's. He then went on living as Kosaku Kawajiri, this is the outfit that comes from that.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Curious; is it pre or post timeskip Usopp? Only his moveset varies greatly depending on which side of the timeskip he's on.

(That said, I'm really happy we got someone a little different for the second One Piece rep)

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Dont worry. It won't be bad if Dante's VA could fit in DMC: Devil May Cry costume.
We technically could give the DmC version of dante his old voice actor but since he canonically has a different voice actor he won’t be eligible now.

Curious; is it pre or post timeskip Usopp? Only his moveset varies greatly depending on which side of the timeskip he's on.

(That said, I'm really happy we got someone a little different for the second One Piece rep)
Yeah it’s supposed to be his post time skip design. I just realized the image link broke lol

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Tankobon Throwdown will be the subtitle of this game! Now onto the next job:

Job #22: Submit A Shonen Jump Character From An Unrepresented Series
Submit a shonen jump character from a series that isn’t represented yet. Please submit the character, explain a bit about how they would fight, and why they should be in this game. Two characters will be added.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Resubmitting Killua
Shonen Jump: Killua Zoldyck (Hunter × Hunter)
View attachment 333204
Killua is the deuteragonist of Hunter × Hunter. He's arguably more popular than his best friend and the protagonist, Gon, and has a more unique set of powers - due to being raised in a family of assassins, he has many techniques that would distinguish him from the rest of the cast, such as being able to sharpen his fingernails (to the point he can rip a person's heart out), shadow stepping, and the ability to turn his arms into whips, as well as a pair of yo-yos that pack a serious punch made by his brother Milluki. He's also immune to poison and electricity, the latter which plays into his nen ability as he's able to "charge" himself with electricity and attack with it. This includes his iconic "godspeed" transformation which increases his speed.

Like Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule 's submission, Killua being added before Gon would prove that we don't neccesarily need to add the main character first (also coincidentally, Killua was modeled after Hiei and they share a creator).

Nothing from Capcom unfortunately, the only Capcom series I played are ones that are already on the roster.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job 22: Arale Norimaki (Dr. Slump)

Arale is the main character of Akira Toriyama's pre-Dragon Ball hit, Dr. Slump. While Dragon Ball tends to overshadow Toriyama's other work nowadays, Dr. Slump is what put him on the map to begin with. As a character from a gag manga, and a super-powered robot, she's got plenty of material to work with, and it seems like it would be funny to put her up against a more serious robot like Mega Man X.

Here's some clips of her in action:

Most of the Jump series that we've included so far are serious and/or action based, so I figure it would be interesting to change things up a bit and include a gag series instead. (I could have nominated Bo-bobo instead, but I wanted to do something different)

Last edited:
Job 22:
Shinra Kusakabe (Fire Force)

Shinra Kusakabe is a main character from Fire Force series released by Shonen. He is Pyrokinetic Boy, who can control Fire as the name of Anime says. It could be Representing modern shonen series in the Game.
I picked him, because he could have moveset potential due to Pyrokinesis and he could burn down opponents. He could be first SJvC character, who uses fire.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Tankobon Throwdown will be the subtitle of this game! Now onto the next job:

Job #22: Submit A Shonen Jump Character From An Unrepresented Series
Submit a shonen jump character from a series that isn’t represented yet. Please submit the character, explain a bit about how they would fight, and why they should be in this game. Two characters will be added.
Character Name: Genos
Character Series: One Punch Man

1635348820830.png

A clever take on the superhero genre, it might seem weird that I'm not adding the main character... but if you know anything at all about Saitama, well... you know exactly why he's not here. As a result, I'm suggesting Genos (arguably the "Shonen Protagonist" of the series) as the character of choice here.

Utilising his cyborg body to the fullest, I imagine Genos would be a powerful rushdown character with a variety of ranged options - such as his Incinerate Cannon and his ability to fire his arms at opponents on tethers - as well as his incredible speed - he'd be very dangerous to face one-on-one. However, he's essentially a glass cannon - in reference to his constant defeats in the series in question, Genos can quite easily be taken into combos, and is surprisingly light, meaning you need to be careful with how you play him... or wind up just like Genos himself.

Maybe even have Saitama arrive for Genos's ultimate super move?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 22

Denji (Chainsaw Man)

Denji is the protagonist of Chainsaw Man. He was a neglected teenager who did anything he could to gain money to live including selling Organs and the like. Until one day he fused with his pet, Pochita, and he is now the Chainsaw Devil

Denji is powerful and arrogant and also he has several chainsaws on his body.

Chainsaw Man was an incredible hit by the time it ended and will be getting an anime soon

Last edited:
Job 22:
Senku Ishigami (Dr. Stone)

Senku Ishigami is character from Dr. Stone series. He wa petrified during 3,700 Years after mysterious Event occurred when the World became petrified and He needs to bring back World's Life.

He could have moveset Potential (Don't say that he doesn't ore else I'll become Angry!), because he could use his Scientific stuff during the Fight like stuff from Manga mostly. He was made by Shonen Jump and he could join the Battle. We never had a Character, who was a Scientist and we're gonna have Senku in the SJvC roster!

D

Deleted member

Lala Satalin Deviluke

A central character from the romantic comedy manga series To Love Ru. An alien princess who ran away from her home planet to avoid a marriage, having to pretend to be in love with the human boy Rito Yuki. But she finds herself falling in love for real.

I think including a character like this would be funny to be honest. But she does actually have some decent moveset potential.

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Job 22: Asta from Black Clover. resubmission

00-featured-asta-black-clover-closeup-screenshot.jpg

Asta a magicless peasant gifted with the power of Anti-Magic. Asta aims to become the Wizard King and show the world that even a low class commoner can become something great.
Asta's moveset has a lot of potential and as a series Black Clover is very popular.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Admittedly I spent a long time making a write-up for Conan Edogawa but forgot that even though Shogakukan founded Shueisha (company responsible for Shonen Jump), Shueisha became independent a while ago. Because of that I'm not going to go in-depth because I don't feel like writing much more.

Job #22: Dragon Shiryu (Saint Seiya)
1635370592327.png

Dragon Shiryu is one of the main protagonists of the Saint Seiya series. Despite not being the main character, this game's roster should tell you that doesn't mean anything, and Dragon Shiryu is the most popular of the 5 protagonists. Saint Seiya was a 1980's powerhouse so this would be a great deep cut character for newer audiences to research and to please old fans.

Dragon Shiryu has great physical strength, an Excalibur, and Dragon powers.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
My submission will be Gon
See the source image

Just the straight-up main character of hunter x hunter, Gon would fight with all the techniques he has in hxh. I imagine despite his small size he would fight with rather large, heavy attacks

We've already had a lot of submissions for hxh characters so i won't go too into detail about why he should be in smash, but popularity alone is enough to secure a spot for a character from the series. Like if you go to any high school in a western country hunter x hunter and my hero academia are both easily the anime you'll see the most merchandise for, heck maybe even the tv series you'll see the most merchandise for. Overall I think hxh is pretty much a necessity for a game like this and I think gon would be a good choice.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Gon
2. Asta
We danced around adding them for a long while but if we continue we might accidentally dance off stage before they are added. Relatively boring additions but we just added Herlock so getting the essentials that are dearly beloved makes sense right now.
3. Denji (chainsaws are cool)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are all the results of the voting:
Killua 2
Arale 2
Genos 2
Denji 5
Senku 4
Lala Satalin Deviluke 0
Asta 10
Dragon Shiryu 0
Gon 22

And so Gon and Asta will be added to the roster! Now here's the next job, pretty much the exact same thing only with capcom again:

Job #23: Submit A Capcom Character From An Unrepresented Series
Submit a capcom character from a series that isn't represented yet. Please submit a character, explain who they are, and a bit about how they would fight.

Also, submissions for alternate costumes are open again. You can submit two, and the same rules apply as before:

A lot of games like this have alternate costumes so we’ll do it for this game. Please submit two alternate costumes (or one of you want) for two different characters. Whatever you decide will be added automatically although if people object to it then we can have a discussion and voting. Each character will have two alternate costumes but there will be a few characters that might be able to have more.

Like the MvC4 thread, you cannot submit alternate costumes that would change a characters voice or moves, so something like goku black or ken wouldn’t be allowed for this. Pitch shifted voices are allowed though. You also can’t submit two alternate costumes for the same character for now. Once pretty much everyone gets a chance to submit two costumes then you can submit more. If there are any questions about this please go ahead and ask.
And after this I'm probably gonna go back to having "submit a shonen jump (thing) or capcom (thing) jobs later

D

Deleted member

Nina (Breath of Fire)

One of the two main characters from the jrpg series Breath of Fire, with a version of her appearing as a playable character in every game in the seires. She is a fae princess from Windia. She is a magic user, and her wings would give her an interesting play style.

Nina would represent a popular and underutilized series that has yet to appear in a VS game.

Last edited by a moderator:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #23: Frank West
1635464890966.png

Dead Rising is a game where you, a freelance photojournalist, drop into a mall surrounded by zombies and use whatever you have to fight off the undead with stuff including, but not limited to, a Real Mega Buster, a Laser Sword, Baking Ingredients, a Novelty Mask, and a Bench, just to name a few.

Yea, Frank West already proved he has great moveset potential being in both MvC3 and MvCI, plus he's a fun character.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Costumes:

Dante: Devil May Cry 1 Dante (coat-less)

(this version was playable in DMC3 voiced by Reuben Langdon, so his voice wouldn't need to be changed; I figured it was visibly different from his default costumes from other DMC games)

Naruto: Hokage cloak

I'll submit a character later, if I get the chance. I have a few ideas, but I'll likely have to look up videos or play the games in question to see how viable they are.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 23

Princess Devilotte de Death Satan IX (Or Just Devilotte)

Devilotte is a character from Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness. She pilots the mech S-008 SUPER-8

Devilotte is a spoiled brat villain princess and would be a fun character to play is in a game. Her moveset could involve her mech and also various other quirks around her character and Cyberbots as a whole.

Costumes:

Luffytaro

Nero (DMC4)

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Character Name: Ruby Heart
Character Series: Capcom VS
Character Origin: Marvel VS Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (2000)

1635510204508.png

This is a VS series game... so I think it's only right to have a VS series character here.

Ruby Heart essentially acted as the "protagonist" of MVC2 - being a pirate with a flying ship, who fights with an anchor, a whip, and even a haunted chest. Being a collector of obscure objects and items, as well as the leader of a pirate crew... I think she'd go well against Luffy here, as well as having a cool enough design to work well with the cast, but also stand out enough to be individualised compared to the others. Not only that, but being that she was originally planned to be a Darkstalker - I think she could have some interesting interactions with Morrigan.

It's also implied that her ship is what allowed the events of MVC2 to actually take place - which could be a nice and tight explaination for how the Capcom and Shonen characters met?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Character Name: Ruby Heart
Character Series: Capcom VS
Character Origin: Marvel VS Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (2000)

View attachment 336111

This is a VS series game... so I think it's only right to have a VS series character here.

Ruby Heart essentially acted as the "protagonist" of MVC2 - being a pirate with a flying ship, who fights with an anchor, a whip, and even a haunted chest. Being a collector of obscure objects and items, as well as the leader of a pirate crew... I think she'd go well against Luffy here, as well as having a cool enough design to work well with the cast, but also stand out enough to be individualised compared to the others. Not only that, but being that she was originally planned to be a Darkstalker - I think she could have some interesting interactions with Morrigan.

It's also implied that her ship is what allowed the events of MVC2 to actually take place - which could be a nice and tight explaination for how the Capcom and Shonen characters met?
Unfortunately Ruby Heart wouldn’t be eligible for this. It’s a job about unrepresented series and since I already accepted airship in a job for stages from represented series, this isn’t eligible for the sake of making it consistent wether or not MvC content counts as being “represented”

Unrepresented Character Job:
Regina (Dino Crisis)

Regina is a character from Dino Crisis Series, she works in T.R.A.T., a group who defend themselves from Dinosaurs.

Regina could use Dinosaurs and her weapon as Moves in the Game, perhaps she could have high KO rate than others due to use of Dinosaurs. She could be OP character from Capcom Side.

Top Bottom