• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Shonen Jump Vs. Capcom: Tankobon Throwdown

Should Jotaro’s classic fighting game stand mechanic return in Shonen Jump vs. Capcom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
All Things Considered Yamato uses he/him pronouns.

Getting official confirmation from Oda would be great but I doubt it at this point.
Yeah, I get that. Yamato's Vivre Card describes the character as female without any qualifiers, unlike Kiku's card which effectively refers to her as being transgender, but that's the only official word that we have on the subject, and Yamato is still referred to as "Kaidou's son" or with male pronouns. (Pronouns are ambiguous in Japanese, but I don't think something like "Kaidou's son" would be - then again, I don't know how to read Japanese)

I don't know how many people are fans of One Piece, so I thought that would be easier than trying to explain the past year-plus of dialogue surrounding the character's gender identity. Though it's a pretty thorny issue no matter how you choose to refer to Yamato - they/them sounds clunky at times, she/her goes against the character's preferences, and he/him goes against the information from the Vivre Card (on top of bringing in controversy and transphobic comments).

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
My submissions:

Shonen Jump: Bakugo (MHA)

Deku’s rival and arguably the deuteragonist of the series, Bakugo would fight with his explosive powers and would be an absolute scream lord (which are pretty much always fun to play as in fighting games) I think he would be a good choice because his moveset would be rather unique and pretty fun, and he’s a really iconic character.

Capcom: Ryunosuke Naruhodo (Great Ace Attorney)
and yeah I had the idea to submit this before herlock got submitted lol

Phoenix Wright’s ancestor and protagonist of the Great Ace Attorney series, Ryunosuke would be somewhat of a “semi-clone” to Phoenix, having the same gimmick but different attacks aside from a few similar ones. I feel like he would be a good pick because he would represent a popular yet underrated side of a franchise, and would bring an interesting tone to the series given how he’s from the past.
also one of his moves would absolutely summon susato to do a susato takedown

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Here are the options for Job #12. Please vote for your top three most wanted in order for capcom and jump, you can only vote for your own submission in second or third place.
Shonen Jump
Jondolio Jondolio Light Yagami/Ryuk
@Darkonedagger Tsuna
Kamen Minecraft Kamen Minecraft Asta
Megadoomer Megadoomer Yamato
cashregister9 cashregister9 Tanjiro
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Iori Katanagi
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Bakugo

Capcom
Jondolio Jondolio Miles Edgeworth
@Darkonedagger Asura
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Frank West
Kamen Minecraft Kamen Minecraft Hunter
Megadoomer Megadoomer Amaterasu
cashregister9 cashregister9 Nero
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Herlock Sholmes
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Ryunosuke

My votes:
1. Asta
2. Tanjiro
3. Bakugo
(yamato is an honorable mention here, I like the idea of him getting in a crossover like this but I just don’t think he’s been in the story enough to make it in especially because we don’t really know his role in the story and his character is likely to go through lots of changes)

1. Nero
2. Ryunosuke
3. Hunter
(Would be funny if we included ryunosuke and robin and then had an interaction that referenced that one dragon from zou)
how has the one piece community forgotten about ryunosuke? The scene in zou with him was hilarious and he’s the perfect meme. And one piece fans love referencing random obscure characters and calling them amazing and the best character ever, have you seen the “con d. oriano” or “guy who aske d. roger about his treasure” memes? we need more agnowledgment of the best character ever ryunosuke

also the manga needs a scene where robin confronts kanjuro and takes revenge for ryunosuke

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Jump:

1. Tsuna
2. Yamato
3. Bakugo

Capcom:

1. Nero
2. Amaterasu
3. Asura

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Here are the results of the Job #13 voting:
Light 9
Tsuna 4
Asta 5
Yamato 6
Tanjiro 15
Iori Katanagi 1
Bakugo 8

Miles Edgeworth 0
Asura 7
Frank West 5
Hunter 5
Amaterasu 10
Nero 14
Herlock Sholmes 5
Ryunosuke 2

And so the characters we will add are:
Light, Tanjiro, Nero and Amaterasu. I will start the next job soon so stay tuned for now.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Job #14: Submit a Jojo or YuYu Hakusho Stage
Submit a stage from either yuyu hakusho or jojos bizarre adventure or both. Please submit the location, explain where the fight would take place, and any cameos. Do keep in mind that the jjba characters we have are Jotaro and Yoshikage Kira so it might be good to have a stage from part 3 or part 4.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 14

Morioh

This stage would be right in front of Ghost Girl Alley. You can see Reimi in the alley as well as many other Jojo Part 4 characters like Rohan, Hayato and Yukako.

Dark Tournament Stadium

The main location from YYH's Dark Tournament saga, it's a pretty straightforward stage you can see several characters who participated in the tournament duking it out in the background.

D

Deleted member

Was gonna submit Morioh but got beat to the punch.

Jotaro appears in Part 6 so I feel this still counts.

Green Dolphin Street Prison

The island prison that is one of the main settings of Stone Ocean. Takes place inside the prison. The various main characters from the arc make appearances. Pucci will sometimes make a menacing appearance. This could also be a tie in to the upcoming anime adaptation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
My submissions:
Cairo

You play on the street where the final battle of part 3 takes place. Assuming they don’t become playable, DIO and Joseph have cameos

Enma’s Office
Couldn’t really find a good picture, but this is the office where Koenma “works” in yuyu hakusho. Ogres run around in the background with stacks of paper and Koenma is at his desk with Jorge next to him watching the fight.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #14: Submit a Jojo or YuYu Hakusho Stage
Submit a stage from either yuyu hakusho or jojos bizarre adventure or both. Please submit the location, explain where the fight would take place, and any cameos. Do keep in mind that the jjba characters we have are Jotaro and Yoshikage Kira so it might be good to have a stage from part 3 or part 4.
DIO's Mansion
1634316957907.png

Based on the Mansion of DIO during Part 3, this takes place within the mansion itself - which is notably a quite large place, looking huge on the inside due to the effect of Kenny G's Stand. As a result, the inside takes the form of a dark, labyrinthine structure with a surprising amount of "smoke" inside for dramatic effect.

Cameos within the Mansion include Vanilla Ice, Hol Horse, Enya, Telence D'Arby, Pet Shop, and DIO himself (who notably appears atop the stairs in the background in reference to his confrontation with Polnareff, usually sipping wine before mysteriously "vanishing" by use of his Stand.) They don't actually do anything, but they often interact in various ways - for instance, Pet Shop might perch on top of Enya's stick and such.

Attachments

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Naples Train Station from Jojo Part 5:
The Train Station is where a lot of important events take place in Jojo part 5, Here would also be a good place to show cameos from Part 5 characters.

20150903_jojoeoh_05.jpg

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Here are the options for Job #14. Please vote for your top three most wanted for JJBA and then you can vote for your top one or two YuYu Hakusho stages. Guess it's not as popular as jojo here lol. Anyways your own submission can only be in second or last place.

JJBA:
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Roman Coliseum
cashregister9 cashregister9 Morioh
@Darkonedagger Green Dophin Prison
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Cairo
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 DIO's Mansion
Kamen Minecraft Kamen Minecraft Naples Train Station

YuYu Hakusho:
cashregister9 cashregister9 Dark Tournament Arena
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Enma's Office

My votes:
1. Morioh
2. Cairo
3. DIO Mansion

1. Tournament Arena
2. Enma Office

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Morioh
2. Cairo
3. Green Dolphin Prison

1. Tournament Arena
2. Enma Office

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Here are the options for Job #14. Please vote for your top three most wanted for JJBA and then you can vote for your top one or two YuYu Hakusho stages. Guess it's not as popular as jojo here lol. Anyways your own submission can only be in second or last place.

JJBA:
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Roman Coliseum
cashregister9 cashregister9 Morioh
@Darkonedagger Green Dophin Prison
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Cairo
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 DIO's Mansion
Kamen Minecraft Kamen Minecraft Naples Train Station

YuYu Hakusho:
cashregister9 cashregister9 Dark Tournament Arena
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Enma's Office

My votes:
1. DIO Mansion
2. Cairo
3. Morioh

1. Tournament Arena
2. Enma Office
1. Cairo
2. Morioh
3. Green Dolphin Prison

1. Tournament Arena
2. Enma's Office

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Sorry for the wait, here are the results of the Job #14 voting:

JJBA
Roman Coliseum 2
Morioh 12
Green Dolphin Prison 5
Cairo 8
DIO’s Mansion 9
Naples Train Station 0

YuYu Hakusho
Dark Tournament Arena 18
Enma’s Office 12

And so Dark Tournament Arena and Morioh will be added as stages! Now onto the next job:

Job #15: Submit an Arcade Mode Boss
So most of the time, arcade modes in games like this will have big bosses as the finale for arcade mode and I think I’ll carry it onto this game as well. So for this job I’d like you to submit what you think should be the arcade mode boss. It can be a character from Shonen Jump, Capcom or an original character that’s some mixture of the two like MvCI’s Ultron Sigma.

Anyways, please explain who the boss is, each phase, and all their big attacks.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Caramel Skull J

A mix of Dr. Mashirito's Caramel Man robots from Dr. Slump and Dr. Wily's various final boss mechs from Mega Man.

In the first stage, the boss is a mix of the final boss of Mega Man 9 and the first Caramel Man robot from Dr. Slump. Occasionally (either by hitting the body enough or after a certain amount of time has passed), the shutters on either eye will open to show one of the doctors working away at the controls, leaving them vulnerable and causing the boss to take more damage if they're hit. (Dr. Mashirito will be in his older appearance from Jump Ultimate Stars, shown at the top, to reflect the current appearance of Toriyama's former editor who the character is based on) The boss can still take damage normally; it's just that it takes more if the doctors get hit.

The mech will stomp around the stage, or hover around it with rocket boots before stomping on the ground. It can also attack by shooting bouncing projectiles, swiping with its tail, and firing rocket punches from its arms, which come out of the red circles where the legs are attached to the body.

Once its health is depleted, the boss battle enters its second phase, with Wily piloting his Wily Capsule (like his assist trophy from Smash) while Dr. Mashirito pilots Caramel Man J, the mech designed to look like the pirate mascot of Shonen Jump. Caramel Man J is the main opponent, with Wily acting like an assist or a special move. Here's a video of the character in action, though it's from Mugen rather than Jump Ultimate Stars:

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
My submission: M. Bison (Bison Form)

(no pictures because it’s technically a new character)

So the idea is that M. Bison ate a zoan type devil fruit (a reference to one piece) and actually gained a bison form. He fights with all his psycho power and normal attacks only with some animalistic attacks in as well. Now technically there is already a character with the bison devil fruit but I think we can explain it by saying there are devil fruits in different universes or say that he used some of Seth’s technology to be able to copy devil fruit abilities (Personally I like the later explanation much better)

So the first round is a normal fight against M Bison where he attacks will all the moves he has in the street fighter games. Pretty simple fight.

For the second phase he goes into his hybrid form. He becomes half-bison but still humanoid. Think something like Dalton’s hybrid form:
03B04D54-5F57-4A27-9A1E-D48AAA904AE2.jpeg
He fights with shoulder charges but also some psycho power blasts

For the final form he goes almost full bison, it looks a bit like this:
31D99E09-5093-4289-82B8-07AFCE8BB92E.jpeg
He fights by charging forward and attacking with his horns as well as making psycho power explode around him.

(I know he’s not called m bison in japan but I think giving him the bison fruit still works as a fun reference to the nameswaps)

D

Deleted member

This is maybe one of the most out there ideas I've ever submitted for one of these threads

Seto Kaiba (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
You heard that right. The fight takes place at the Kibacorp building, where it is revealed that the battles the player had been through in Arcade Mode where actualy part of a tournament set up by Kaiba himself in order to test the warriors of the two worlds.

And now the players have to face off against Kaiba himself. But he won't fight directly. For the first phase. Kaiba will unleash his favourite monster.

Blue Eyes White Dragon (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
The player will have to contend with the powerful beast. But even after the monster is defeated, its not over, as Kaiba unleashes his trump card:

Nergigante (Monster Hunter)

That's right. Somehow in the dimensional chaos, Kaiba has managed to gain control of the powerful elder dragon. This beast is extremely strong, putting up an intense fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Okay so I think that’s enough submissions that we can just do ranked voting… Well, here are the options for Job #15. Please vote for your top two or three most wanted in order. You can only put your own submission in second or third place.
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Frieza
Megadoomer Megadoomer Caramel Skull J
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule M. Bison but actually a bison
@Darkonedagger Seto

My votes:
1. Frieza
2. Bison
(I really like the concept of caramel skull j but I feel like the boss kind of needs to be a bit more intimidating since these bosses are usually what makes all these universes come together to fight. Caramel skull j is just a little too comical for this role in my book)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm torn about whether to vote for Freeza or not; he seems like he'd be a good fit for a playable character, we don't have many playable villains at the moment, and I'm not sure if him being a boss would rule out the option of him being playable.

1. Kaiba
2. Caramel Skull J

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Here are the results of the Job #15 voting:
Frieza 8
Caramel Skull J 6
M. Bison (Bison Form) 10
Seto 11

And so the boss will be Seto! Now onto the next job:

Job #16: Submit A Second Character For A Shonen Jump Series
Please submit a second character for any currently represented shonen jump series that has only one rep so far. This job will be exclusively shonen jump. Please submit the character, explain a bit about how they would fight, and why they should be in this game.

Job 16:
Himiko Toga (My hero Academia)

Himiko Toga is a character from MHA and she has quirk ability to transform into Random people. She could have Brutal Moveset and she could use her Shapeshifting to turn into same enemies. She could be First female villain to appear in SJvC game.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Job 16:
Chun-li (Street Fighter)

Chun-li is a Female character from Street Fighter series. She attacks with kicks, who give that devastating damage. She was used to be Chinese Police Officer, but she changed to be Fighter.
This job is just for shonen jump series for now and chun li is already in the game

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Here are the results of the Job #15 voting:
Frieza 8
Caramel Skull J 6
M. Bison (Bison Form) 10
Seto 11

And so the boss will be Seto! Now onto the next job:

Job #16: Submit A Second Character For A Shonen Jump Series
Please submit a second character for any currently represented shonen jump series that has only one rep so far. This job will be exclusively shonen jump. Please submit the character, explain a bit about how they would fight, and why they should be in this game.
JOB #16
Character Name: Katsuki Bakugou
Character Series: My Hero Academia
Character Debut: My Hero Academia: Chapter 1 (2014)
Character Abilities: His Quirk - "Explosion"

1634661787738.png

Acting as a sort of antagonist for the MHA series and Deku specifically (especially given the series' overall popularity) Bakugou is the choice I make here because of his intensely violent playstyle. Where a lot of characters in the Shonen side of this roster are bruisers, or have the ability to at least move quickly, Bakugou is the definition of rushdown - using his Quirk to blast forward at high speed and lay down heavy-hitting attacks... though his lack of defence can leave him open if you're clever with how you face him.

Whilst there are lots of incredibly interesting characters from MHA as a whole that could play in unusual ways - Uraraka, Todoroki, Ida, All Might and Tokoyami spring to mind as "logical" picks, and characters like Sero, Stain and even Eraser Head could be more weird picks - I feel Bakugou simply needs to be here, in a sense.

Top Bottom