• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Jump Stars EX REBOOTED - A Shonen Jump Platform Fighter

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Submissions are now closed. Voting will now begin. Please vote for your top 3 stages out of this selection (Two will be added, but they won't be from the same franchise) -

KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Konoha Village
Jondolio Jondolio Kame House
tonygameman tonygameman Thousand Sunny
Oracle Link Oracle Link Tenkaichi Budokai Arena
Megadoomer Megadoomer Soukyoku Hill
@DarkVortex Valley of the End

As well as your top 2 from the character selection (the top two will be added) -

Jondolio Jondolio Cobra
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Hayato Nanjou
Megadoomer Megadoomer Hiroshi and Pyonkichi
tonygameman tonygameman Kinnikuman
Speed Weed Speed Weed Ryuji Takane
Job #03
  1. Thousand Sunny.
  2. Kame House.
  3. Kohona Village.
Job #04
  1. Kinnikuman.
  2. Ryuji Takane.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Okay, sorry for the delay, been really busy the past couple days so I couldn't really promote this thread as much as I wanted to, but I'll try to get it back on track. Voting is done.

Konoha Village 5
Kame House 2
Thousand Sunny 14
Tenkaichi Budokai Arena 14
Soukyoku Hill 2
Valley of the End 0

Our first stages will be the Tenkaichi Budokai Arena and Thousand Sunny! Congrats Oracle Link Oracle Link and tonygameman tonygameman !

For characters:

Cobra 7
Hayato 0
Hiroshi and Pyonkichi 0
Kinnikuman 12
Ryuji 3

Unsurprisingly, the two most notable characters from that era that aren't Ryotsu, Cobra and Kinnikuman, won and will be added to the roster! Congrats again tonygameman tonygameman !

On to the next job.

Job #5: Submit an 80s character
Pretty much what it says on the tin. Submit a character that debuted between 1980 to 1989. There are a lot of notable choices here aside from the obvious Dragon Ball and JoJo's, including but not limited to -

Fist of the North Star
Dr. Slump
City Hunter
Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai
Rokudenashi Blues
Captain Tsubasa
Sakigake!! Otokojuku
And more. Here's a full list in case you need it.

As for how many characters we'll be adding, I'm actually not sure. 2 per decade seems like it could slow us down substantially in getting us to our goal of 50 so I would like to hear some input from you guys.

Anyway I'm gonna be super busy for the next two weeks so I don't know if I'll be able to update this thread consistently, I'll try my best though

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For the number of characters, I'd say go with your gut - if you want to add three or four characters from some rounds, then go right ahead.

---

As for my nomination, I know exactly who I'm picking.

The Savior of Century's End
KENSHIRO
(Fist of the North Star)

In the distant future of 199X, nuclear war obliterated society. Plants died out, water dried up, but humanity lived on. Wandering through this post-apocalyptic wasteland, Kenshiro uses the ancient martial art of Hokuto Shinken to protect the weak and punish those who would prey on them. If you hurt the innocent while he's around, then you are already dead.

A mix of Bruce Lee and Mad Max, Kenshiro is a master martial artist, capable of destroying his opponent's body with a touch to their pressure points. While he has a few short-range ki attacks, he largely sticks to fighting with his bare hands.

When it comes to Shonen Jump crossover games, Kenshiro's a veteran, having been part of them going back to the NES days. While he's usually a stoic warrior, he's also kind-hearted and sensitive, crying openly at times. He's influenced characters ranging from Jonathan Joestar to Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, and his series is still getting spin-offs and games to this day. I figure it makes a lot of sense for him to be in a Jump crossover roster.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Gonna submit Arale Norimaki from Dr. Slump
Arale Norimaki
View attachment 339050
Arale is the main protagonist of Dr. Slump, a gag manga that ran in Weekly Shonen Jump from 1980 to 1984. Arale is a little girl robot built by an inventor named Senbei Norimaki who lives in a town called Penguin Village. Arale is extremely naive and doesn't quite understand human social norms, which combined with her hyperactivity and insane strength gets her into all sorts of wacky misadventures.

By the way, of those personality traits I described sound like young Goku, that's probably no coincidence as Dr. Slump was created by non other than Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball. Dr. Slump actually predates Dragon Ball and was Toriyama's first full series to be published in Jump, which began a very long partnership that's still going on to this day. In fact, Arale made an appearance in the Red Ribbon Arc of Dragon Ball, and from what I understand she's made a few appearances in Super as well!
View attachment 339052

Arale has been playable in every Jump fighting game since Jump Super Stars (other than Jump Force), so she would likely fight like she did in Jump Ultimate Stars, accompanied by her friend Gatchan.

Most of our cast currently consists of action-based characters which is to be expected from a Jump game, but Jump is so much more than that. Arale would provide more representation to the gag manga side of Jump, which is actually pretty big and is currently represented solely by Ryotsu. She's also a girl, which as of right now we only have none on our roster, and Arale's one of our best options.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I will say, as for characters you guys can submit, this time I'll just say this: read the blog I posted. It covers a ton of great picks for yall to choose from.

Anyway I'll throw one in myself

80s Pick: Ryo Saeba from City Hunter
20230613_155012.jpg

City Hunter is a famous action manga by Tsukasa Hojo, which ran on Jump from 1985 to 1991. The series follows the adventures of a man named Ryo Saeba, who works in Tokyo as a "sweeper" - a skilled sharpshooter who takes on jobs to "sweep" the city of evil. Sometimes he's asked to take out criminals, and sometimes he's asked to protect people who have become their targets. Either way, he's extremely proficient at his job, with the exception of one particular flaw: he's uhhhh kind of a massive horndog, although he is often kept in check by others in this regard.

City Hunter I would say might genuinely be in the like....what, top 30? most iconic Jump manga of all time. Certainly one of their biggest 80s hits, and one of their all-time best-sellers. It's a massively iconic and popular manga that still gets new media, merchandise, etc, and it's definitely not unknown in the West either - it's very very popular in certain sects of Europe in particular, to the point that movies have been made of it in places like France. It's one of Jump's all-time greats, basically, and I think it's a necessity for any Jump roster. But thing is.....it somehow took until goddamn Jump Force for this series to show up in one of the big console fighters. It wasn't in the DS games, and it wasn't in J-Stars. It's insane that it took this long for the series to be featured in these games outside of more minor crossover media, and I think we should keep its presence going and ensure it doesn't fall by the wayside again, considering how mega important it is. It helps that Ryo could be a very fun sort of action-y firearm user, and is generally just a really cool character. City Hunter is based

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In case anyone wants some examples of characters who've made playable appearances in previous Jump crossovers and would qualify for this round...

Seiya (Saint Seiya)

Momotaro (Sakigake!! Otokojuku)

THE PRINCIPAL OF OTOKOJUKU, EDAJIMA HEIHACHI! (Sakigake!! Otokojuku)

Tar-chan (Jungle King Tar-Chan)
Taluluto (Magical Taluluto)

Maeda Taison (Rokudenashi Blues)

Tsubasa (Captain Tsubasa)
...among others. (some of the series didn't have Wikipedia articles, so I wasn't sure how important they were)

There's also Cyborg Grandpa G! (I haven't read the series, but it's become something of a meme, so I figure he's worth mentioning)

And a second character from series like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure or Dragon Ball, but I'm not sure if people would want to double up on a series so soon.

I haven't read much of Saint Seiya (just the first volume or so), but I'm surprised he hasn't been nominated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, sorry for the delay, been really busy the past couple days so I couldn't really promote this thread as much as I wanted to, but I'll try to get it back on track. Voting is done.

Konoha Village 5
Kame House 2
Thousand Sunny 14
Tenkaichi Budokai Arena 14
Soukyoku Hill 2
Valley of the End 0

Our first stages will be the Tenkaichi Budokai Arena and Thousand Sunny! Congrats Oracle Link Oracle Link and tonygameman tonygameman !

For characters:

Cobra 7
Hayato 0
Hiroshi and Pyonkichi 0
Kinnikuman 12
Ryuji 3

Unsurprisingly, the two most notable characters from that era that aren't Ryotsu, Cobra and Kinnikuman, won and will be added to the roster! Congrats again tonygameman tonygameman !

On to the next job.

Job #5: Submit an 80s character
Pretty much what it says on the tin. Submit a character that debuted between 1980 to 1989. There are a lot of notable choices here aside from the obvious Dragon Ball and JoJo's, including but not limited to -

Fist of the North Star
Dr. Slump
City Hunter
Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai
Rokudenashi Blues
Captain Tsubasa
Sakigake!! Otokojuku
And more. Here's a full list in case you need it.

As for how many characters we'll be adding, I'm actually not sure. 2 per decade seems like it could slow us down substantially in getting us to our goal of 50 so I would like to hear some input from you guys.

Anyway I'm gonna be super busy for the next two weeks so I don't know if I'll be able to update this thread consistently, I'll try my best though
Job 5: Popp from Dragon Quest: The Adventures Of Dai.

While he is not a main character, he is quite an important part of both the original 80s anime and the reboot from recent years.

He could be a fun character since he relies on magic and could use all sorts of Attack, healing and elemental spells.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Job #5 (80s Shonen Jump Character): Momotaro Tsurugi (Sakigake!! Otokojuku)
1686873845103.png

Momotaro Tsurugi is the protagonist of Sakigake!! Otokojuku (translated "Charge!! Men's Private School"), a martial arts manga written and illustrated by Akira Miya****a and serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump from 1985 to 1991. Set at the titular Otokojuku, a strict all-boys' private school that trains delinquents to become true men, the series follows Momotaro and his fellow first-year students as they endure and overcome the school's rigorous training and competitive environment.

Said to be the strongest of the first-year students, Momotaro is a highly skilled martial artist, having studied numerous techniques at the Wang-Hu temple prior to his enrollment at Otokojuku. His primary style of martial arts is the Infinite One-Sword Style, a single-sword style that excels both offensively and defensively. Momotaro also has the ability to use ki to augment his abilities, albeit at the expense of his stamina. Noteworthy techniques he's used include the Fist-Breaking Punch (breaks an opponent's hand by countering their punch with a well-timed punch of his own), Mind's Eye Blade (closes his eyes to heighten his other senses, increasing the precision of his attacks), Stiff Cloth Fist Breaker (channels his ki into his headband to turn it into a sharp blade), and Secret Crane Spindle Blade (thrusts his katana into the ground and moves on the hilt at high speeds, a technique only possible due to his powerful tendons and remarkable sense of balance). His strongest technique is the Rising Ki Tiger Spirit, which involves concentrating his ki into his katana and then releasing it as a shockwave in the form of a tiger.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Apologies for the wait, but I'm finally ready to continue the thread. Submissions are closed, you may now vote -

Megadoomer Megadoomer Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
Jondolio Jondolio Arale Norimaki (Dr. Slump)
cashregister9 cashregister9 Dai (Dragon Quest: The Adventures of Dai)
Speed Weed Speed Weed Ryo Saeba (City Hunter)
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya)
@Jotadé Popp (Dragon Quest: The Adventures of Dai)
GamingFan1997 GamingFan1997 Momotaro Tsurugi (Sakigake!! Otokojuku)

We will be adding the three most voted characters. My votes:

1. Kenshiro
2. Seiya
3. Arale

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Kenshiro 23
Arale 11
Dai 1
Ryo 2
Seiya 17
Popp 0
Momotaro 0

Kenshiro, Seiya, and Arale will be added to the roster as playable characters.

Job #6: Submit a Naruto or Bleach stage. Pretty self explanatory since we have a Dragon Ball and a One Piece stage.
Admittedly this is outside my area of expertise (I've never read Bleach and I dropped the Naruto anime midway through the chunin exam) so I'm gonna sit this one out

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Hokage Monument (Naruto stage)

Taking place on the Hokage's office (the red building with the white roof - floating platforms would presumably be added for gameplay purposes, though they could be something like large scrolls), the stage has the Hokage monument looming in the background. (though it would be the pre-time-skip version, rather than the one seen at the end of the series)

As the stage is set in Konoha Village, it allows for cameos from any non-playable Naruto characters. To reflect Konoha's relatively peaceful nature, there probably wouldn't be much in the way of hazards.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ramen Ichiarku

Naruto's favorite place to eat. You can go inside, slightly outside, or on the rooftop. The blastzones are very close but the stage itself is the length of Onett in Smash 64. Ramen bowls are sometimes placed on the bar, and you can jump up there to eat them for healing. The signs and parts of the roof are destructible.

The only animes I've watched are My Hero and Sonic X until they both got boring so I won't contribute unless the thread's in need of submissions

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Closing submissions now. Sokyoku Hill will be added as the Bleach stage. For the Naruto stage, vote in this poll: https://strawpoll.com/eNg69DdEAnA It's important that you vote even if you don't have a preference!

Job #7: Submit a 90s character
I don't think I need to explain this one. For reference, the 90s are generally where some of the more familiar series to western audiences debuted, but also some lesser known ones. Series introduced include -
Slam Dunk
YuYu Hakusho
Tottemo! Luckyman
Hell Teacher Nube
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Hoshin Engi
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
Hikaru no Go
Naruto

and more. Do note that if you look at the list, you'll see Shaman King listed as one of the series that debuted in this decade - while that is true, the series is not viable for this game as the author had a falling out with the editorial over creative differences and took the series with him to Kodansha, a rival publisher, and as such it is no longer considered a Jump series.

We'll be adding three new characters from this decade, possibly four if we get enough submissions. Here's mine -

Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)
1689423382956.png

Himura Kenshin is the protagonist of Rurouni Kenshin, a battle manga that ran in Weekly Shonen Jump from 1994 to 1999. Kenshin is a rurouni - a traveling swordsman with no master, who wields a reversed blade katana to avoid landing a lethal blow to his opponents. He used to be an infamous assassin known as Hitokiri Battōsai who fought in the Bakumatsu, so he wanders the Japanese Countryside protecting the innocents to atone for his sins.

Kenshin may seem like just an ordinary swordsman, but he uses a sword style known as Hiten Mitsurugi-ryū, which is very fast and acrobatic and would distinguish him from other sword users on the roster. He'd be rather straightforward, but very unique.

Rurouni Kenshin is an extremely influential and beloved series and Kenshin is a staple of Jump crossovers. However, I should probably address the elephant in the room which is the fact that its author, Nobuhiro Watsuki, is... a deplorable human being for reasons I won't go into (If you know you know), and one could argue that we should not include a character made by a person like him in our game. However, very little of Watsuki's... less than admirable traits creeps into his writing, and the fact remains that Rurouni Kenshin is a very influential series. I think Kenshin has enough merit beyond that for us to overlook that and put him in the game. If he wasn't in the game, I'm sure a lot of people would be disappointed, especially in the Japanese side of the fandom.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Gon Freecss (Hunter x Hunter)

Gon is the main protagonist of Hunter x Hunter, a young boy who dreams of becoming a Hunter so he can meet his father. He wears his inspiration from Goku on his sleeve, between being almost perpetually cheerful, being extremely forgiving to all but the worst of the worst, using rock-paper-scissors as a fighting style, and even being introduced in a similar manner to how Goku first appeared. However, unlike Goku, the series takes time to examine how unusual someone with Gon's sense of morality would be, and his determination to win, save his friends, or avenge his friends can reach self-destructive levels at times.

Hunter x Hunter is consistently one of the best-selling series in Shonen Jump whenever a new volume comes out, which is impressive considering that the series' extensive hiatuses means that it doesn't get a regular release schedule like other Jump series. Gon's appeared in several Jump crossovers, such as Jump Super Stars, Jump Ultimate Stars, J Stars Victory Versus, and Jump Force, so presumably, he'd be expected in a game like this.

(Try as I might, I have a tough time describing Hunter x Hunter in a way that sells people on the series, but it's definitely worth watching)

Aside from his Rock-Paper-Scissors nen ability (where each of the three signs has differing amounts of power and range - Rock is just a normal punch in terms of range, but it hits insanely hard), he also has a fishing rod, which he's used in the Jump ___ Stars games.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord

Yusuke Urameshi
The main protagonist of the manga & anime series YuYu Hakusho. Yusuke is a former delinquent who died, and found himself without a place in heaven or in hell, so thus he was returned to earth. He became a Spirit Detective, taking care of supernatural problems and fighting demons. He has superhuman strength, speed, stamina and is capable of flight. He van fire energy from his hands, most often taking the from of various gun shots, but also loves a good melee brawl.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Yugi Mutou (Yu-Gi-Oh!)

Yugi Mutou is the main protagonist of Yu-Gi-Oh (Duel Monsters/Capsule Monsters). Yugi is a high school student who has a high interest in games. One day, Yugi's grandfather came across a puzzle that looked somewhat similar to one of the Egyptian Pyramids. Then one night, when Yugi completed the puzzle, monsters had appeared, and Yugi had transformed into a darker version of himself, Yami Yugi, and sent the monsters away (possibly into the "Shadow Realm"). Since that night, fate had chosen him to face the dark forces of the past and prevent the return of the Shadow Games, a game of great and terrible power played by Pharaohs.

Not only does Yugi have a vast amount of knowledge and dueling experience, but he also has plenty of cards that can help him in battle, like the Dark Magician. A good strategy and a good deck of cards can help Yugi turn the tide.

It's Time to D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUEL!

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Resubmitting this one from the previous thread
Job #17: Meisuke "Nube" Nueno from Hell Teacher Nube
View attachment 339316
Meisuke Nueno is the protagonist of the supernatural action manga Hell Teacher Nube, which ran in Weekly Shonen Jump from '93 to '99.

Meisuke - or as everyone calls him, "Nube" - is a 25-year-old man with two different sides to his life. One is his role as the teacher of Class 5-3 of Donmouri Elementary School. The other is, of course.....the fact that he's an exorcist. He treats both of these jobs with equal importance, and it just so happens that all the yokai he exorcises for his profession oftentimes haunt the very school he's in. And so begins a constant string of situations where he must deal with all kinds of demons to protect his class. Depending on the situation, he can come across as either a serious and focused man or a total goofball.

Now then, you may notice that something's up with his hand! That's the Oni no Te: the result of a battle with a powerful oni - so much so that he had to seal its power in his left hand. With this, he can channel both the oni's power and his own spiritual energy into fighting his opponents - it also helps him free spirits and communicate with yokai. However, much like Shaggy, Nube can only use a fraction of its power, as the oni is still too powerful for him to handle. In this game, he could fight by making use of both this and an assortment of other exorcism techniques. TL;DR: cool demon hand

HTN was pretty successful for its time - it sold well, it got an anime, it even got a sequel series in the 2010s, etc, etc. And he does have a history with the Jump Stars games. Namely, he showed up in JUS......as an assist. Which was frankly kinda lame, as I feel there wasn't any real reason not to make him playable. HOWEVER, this was rectified when he got to appear as a full-fledged playable character in J-Stars Victory Vs.! And that was epic. All the while, he's of course appeared in stuff like mobile games and the like. So if we're going back a bit and jumping off of JUS for this game, then I think out of all the assists, Nube strikes me as one of the most "yeah we should totally promote him" kinda people. IMO, he's very much earned his spot, so I think it's time we finally make this man playable!

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Genuinely so sorry I haven't been running the thread. I'll try to improve my pace moving forward. Anywho, only two people voted in the Naruto stage poll so Hokage Monument will be added as our Naruto stage.

And of course we will now begin voting on 90s characters.
Jondolio Jondolio Himura Kenshin
Megadoomer Megadoomer Gon Freecss
darkvortex darkvortex Yusuke Urameshi
ninjahmos ninjahmos Yugi Muto
Speed Weed Speed Weed Nube
cashregister9 cashregister9 Luckyman
We will be adding the three top voted of the bunch, but if a fourth one gets a notable amount of votes then we will make that four.

My picks -
1. Gon (Hunter x Hunter is my second favorite Jump series of all time and we gotta get Gon so that one of my favorite fictional characters will be eligible)
2. Yusuke (Togashi bois for life)
3. Kenshin

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I once again apologize for the delay, I'm really sorry that I didn't really update this thread in over a month but now I'm ready to make my comeback.

Anyway, time to tally the votes -

Kenshin 9
Gon 15
Yusuke 13
Yugi 4
Nube 0
Luckyman 1

Himura Kenshin, Gon Freecss, and Yusuke Urameshi will be added to the roster! Congrats to Megadoomer Megadoomer and darkvortex darkvortex as well as myself.

Job #8 - Submit a stage
Any stage will do, except for stages from the big four series. Make sure to elaborate on their origins and how they would be incorporated in the game

Top Bottom