• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Fighters Legacy, A Fighting Game Crossover

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
The Fighting Fighters Platform Fighter

To be honest this game is probably one of the most hard to give a name to because there is too many IPs and companies in and having a name similar to "Super Smash Bros." just might make the game seem lazy. I went with my choice because I feel it's absurdity could be reflective of what the game is (turning mostly 2D fighters into a platform fighter and just bringing too many diverse characters from different realms) and is an all encompassing name (it is a Fighting Fighters platform fighter, it even allows platforms fighting characters in). That said I do acknowledge it's probably a bad name that might only be acceptable when getting use to it (like how Super Smash Bros. is a weird name but we got used to it, maybe The Fighting Fighters Platform Fighter could get used to people), but I don't want the game to be nameless.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Fighters Legacy

idk the first thing that came to mind that i guess gets the point across of this being a celebration of the fighting genre of games.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
I’ll submit “Fighting All-Stars Clash.” It’s a pretty generic title but I think it’s good.

Here are all the options for Job #4. Please vote for your top two most wanted in order, your own submission can only be in last place.
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton The Fighting Fighters Platform Fighter
nirvanafan nirvanafan Fighters Legacy
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Super All-Star Fighterz
@Darkonedagger World Warriors
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Fighting All-Stars Clash

My votes:
1. Fighters Legacy
2. Fighting all stars clash

D

Deleted member

Fighters Legacy
Fighting All-Stars Clash

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Here are the results of the Job #4 voting:
The Fighting Fighters Platform Fighter 0
Fighters Legacy 7
Super All Star Fighterz 1
World Warriors 2
Fighting All-Stars Clash 2

And so Fighters Legacy will be the name of this game! Now onto the next job:

Job #5: Submit A Character From Before 1995
So we’re gonna be moving through the years as these jobs progress and we’re starting with the early 1990s as well as any other characters that come before. For this job I’d like you to submit a potential character to be added to the roster who is from before 1995. Please submit a character, explain a bit about how they fight, and why they should be in this game. You can submit second reps for franchises we already got in this game.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat - 1992)

Mortal Kombat is one of the most popular & recognizable fighters out there. Feel like Scorpion & Sub-Zero are the 2 biggest icons from the game. Even though Scorpion may have a little bit of an edge as the face of the series i feel like having Sub-Zero's ice based moveset would be more interesting for a platform fighter.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Fulgore (Killer Instinct - 1994)
1637098368470.png

Fulgore is a highly-advanced heavy assault cyborg from the Killer Instinct series. Being a very iconic character from the series, Fulgore should be considered now because we don't want to load all the highly popular characters now (otherwise there'd be no heavy hitting surprises later on) so how about someone who is still recognizable but not Street Fighter levels of iconic and I think Fulgore would fit that well. Also, Cyborgs are rad, every character ever should be a cyborg.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
Chun-Li (Street Fighter 2, 1991)

First Lady of Fighting Games, she would utilize both motion and charge commands for her specials. one of the most famous characters in all of video games and for this project is probably synonymous with the entire fighting game genre as Ryu. IMO its better to get her out the way early since she's a no brainer.

AlRex

Smash Lord
oolong-big.png

Oolong (Yie-Ar Kung-Fu)
Definitely before 1995, given it came out in 1984, before even the first Street Fighter! I guess I'm coming in here with odd picks. He mostly fights in game with a bunch of different punches and kicks, and can jump really high. It's a pretty simple game, but it's notable for giving us the first fighting game with lifebars, at least that I can recall. But with all the various opponents he fights, there could be some stuff taken from there to diversify his options a bit. Shurikens, nunchaku, bo staffs, chains with claws on them, spiked clubs, steel fans, swords, tonfas, daggers...if he can defeat all the people that wield those, I suppose he can just pick up those weapons for himself. Sure. Mostly his inclusion would be historical, in the same that characters like Mr. Game & Watch and ROB are in regular Smash Bros.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #5: Pre-1995 Fighter - Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter - 1993)

Akira Yuki is the mascot/face of SEGA's iconic video game series Virtua Fighter, which originally debuted on arcades in 1993. His fighting style is Bājíquán, a Chinese martial art (pronounced "Hakkyoku-ken" in Japanese). He serves as the assistant instructor at Yuki Budokan, striving for perfection and will drive himself relentlessly to master his techniques despite being known for his hot-blooded and impulsive nature. He seeks worthy opponents to fight in order to find flaws in his skills to further attain mastery, thus going on a quest to test his abilities by entering tournaments in order to achieve his grandfather's wish to see what "true strength" means, canonicallly winning the Second World Tournament (from Virtua Fighter 2). He was a childhood friend of Aoi Umenokoji.

The original Virtua Fighter, created by the legendary SEGA developer Yu Suzuki himself, is noteworthy for being a pioneer of the 3D fighting sub-genre to the point it inspired many fighting game series such as Tekken, Dead or Alive (in which he, Jacky, Sarah and Pai Chan made guest appearances), etc. and even worked as a influence for the original PlayStation console, Tomb Raider (especially Lara Croft's model) and John Romero's Quake (known for DOOM) thanks to it's polygonal graphics. It's success also spawned multiple revisions and sequels (with VF5: Ultimate Shodown released this year and became a candidate in The Game Awards), a few spin-offs and an anime series. Shenmue was originally planned to be a Virtua Fighter RPG with Akira as the protagonist (sharing some connections), as well. Akira even made multiple appearances in crossovers such as Project X Zone (alongside Pai and Kage-Maru), Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (alongside Jacky) and the Super Smash Bros. series (as a Mii Costume and Assist Trophy in his 3D polygon model from the first game).

While Akira may look like he's an amalgamation of Ryu and Kazuya Mishima themselves, he would be a bit beginner-friendly, yet hard-to-master character who focuses on strong, close-ranged melee attacks from his Bajiquan style with follow-ups such as his signature Tetsuzankou (body check/shoulder tackle), Renkantai (anti-aerial double kick), etc. and excels at throws, combos and mid-range brawls. As a final note, take these random concepts and two Virtua Fighter movesets (especially a latter format with former's moves) made by a fellow friend osby osby for Speed Weed Speed Weed 's Battle of AGES (join in if you want!) as examples.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Time to do what smash couldn't

Mai Shiranui

One of SNK's most popular characters and one of the most iconic female fighting game characters. Mai is a female ninja with the ability to control fire. It would be extremely cool to have her reunite with the likes of Chun-Li and Morrigan. There is the issue of her appearance, but considering we already have Morrigan and this game would likely have a more adult rating than smash anyway, I don't think it would be a problem here.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Oolong (I would be interested to see someone making a "full" moveset of him since there's nothing in Internet - pre-Street Fighter representation and Konami characters are welcome, too - reminds me of a certain NES kung-fu game)
2. Akira (Ten years too early!)
3. Chun-Li

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Chunners
2. Sub-Zero
3. Oolong

I really like all the submissions this round! Chun-li kidna needs to be here and so does an MK rep. Oolong would be a fun retro rep to surprise people with.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Oh hey, I made that Thomas moveset! tonygameman tonygameman
So surprising to see you back there! (why haven't I realized it sooner?)

AlRex AlRex You know, that first round in his classic mode route does reference Spelunker, but it seems more like Hammerin' Harry (gameplay) to me because of a construction setting and Mario being associated with hammers since the original Donkey Kong (almost similar design, too).

Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Having noticed how a moveset job of Ryu & Kyo came to an end, I would offer for Sol (as said back on voting) and maybe Chun-Li once an another prompt starts up.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Here are the results of the Job #5 voting:
Sub-Zero 8
Fulgore 6
Chun-Li 10
Oolong 12
Akira 4
Mai 1

And so Oolong and Chun-Li will be added as playable characters! Now onto the next job:

Job #6: Submit A Gameplay Mode
Arcade mode is already gonna be confirmed but we are gonna have some other kind of gameplay mode which we’ll decide now. Please submit the mode and explain how it work.

Job 6:
Story Mode (Road to Victory)

The Story Mode would act like in other games, but it would be revolving about every Fighter's dream about being the Champion. There are some levels like in WoL and some levels that are like Beat'em Up styled. There are 6 Bosses from franchises, who are villains and the Last one is final boss, who wants to defeat all fighters. If you complete whole Story Mode and defeat Final boss, you could get a Champion Trophy as Collectible.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Fighters Origins

Similar to the former Smash Masterpiece mode, play demos of classic fighting games, rather than a time limit you are limited to only play a specific battle. Will also offer challenges like playing certain demos in a row with loosing or performing certain combos, etc. Could also be a way to showcase other content that did not make the cut yet.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
I’ll submit a mode I call World Tournaments

You have an arcade mode made up of 3 to 8 fights (depends on series) based on each of our represented series. It takes you through the history of the franchise and you fight against characters from the series you’re in.

So for example, the Street Fighter world’s tournament will probably have eight battles and be a pretty long one while Yie Ar Kung Fu would probably just have three fight. Some franchises would likely have bosses as well but the bosses will probably end up being playable later. We will use stand-ins for characters just like the way Street Fighter V does for their arcade modes.

You can play any of the tournaments with any characters but playing them with characters who are actually from that franchise gets you an arcade ending in addition to alternate costumes which would be the reward of this mode. Later on we might even be able to give characters crossover arcade endings relating to other franchises such as Ryu winning the Tekken tournament, for example.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
World Tournaments will be used. Now onto the next job:

Job #7: Submit A Stage For Darkstalkers or Guilty Gear
Submit a stage for Darkstalkers, Guilty Gear or both. Please submit a location and a layout.

Also I wanna ask, is anyone actually interested in doing movesets here because if there isn’t then we won’t do them.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Also I wanna ask, is anyone actually interested in doing movesets here because if there isn’t then we won’t do them.
Well, I said back in a previous post, where I tagged you, that I would make those for Sol Badguy and Chun-Li (only special moves and Final Smashes for latter).

Admittedly said, I'm ashamed for being late on Kyo, as there's many things from The King of Fighters that differs from Street Fighter such as MAX Mode and Desperation Moves (common SNK fighter gimmick), as said in a same post (I liked your attempt, though).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Neo New York
Sol's home stage. Takes place in the city. Various shops and buildings can be spotted, including Polar Star Coffee (bear mascot included). Various characters from the series make cameos.

Deserted Chateau
Morrigan's home stage. Would be a a simple stage with a couple platforms and Morrigan's Castle in the back. Various demons including Q-Bees and Huitzils, will fly past. Lilith will cameo.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Well, I said back in a previous post, where I tagged you, that I would make those for Sol Badguy and Chun-Li (only special moves and Final Smashes for latter).

Admittedly said, I'm ashamed for being late on Kyo, as there's many things from The King of Fighters that differs from Street Fighter such as MAX Mode and Desperation Moves (common SNK fighter gimmick), as said in a same post (I liked your attempt, though).
Since my submission was an auto-pick, I'd be alright with you submitting a kyo moveset now if you'd want to,

AlRex

Smash Lord
Fetus of God (Darkstalkers 3)
fetus-of-god.jpg

More broadly, this is a location with Majigen/the Demon Dimension where Jedah dwells, but certainly the weird, inner organ sort of look and the big, freaky-looking baby in the back are striker. I'd modify this from a mostly flat stage to having slightly upward-curving hills at each end, sort of like Green Hill Zone, but a bit less pronounced.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Since my submission was an auto-pick, I'd be alright with you submitting a kyo moveset now if you'd want to,
Alright, then. Here you go, the justice has been made.
  • Shield Special: Charge Power/MAX Mode - By holding both shield and special buttons at the same time, Kyo will perform a pose to charge up power and a meter above his HUD. When full, Kyo will enter MAX Mode for 10 seconds, making his attacks do more damage and give him access to Desperation Moves before reaching 100% damage (though their damage will be improved when around 100% or so). This is based on how a gimmick was implemented in The King of Fighters '94 and '95.
  • Neutral Special: 108-Shiki: Yami Barai - Kyo swipes his hand forward, sending a spark-like fireball that travels along the ground. A projectile is fairly weak and only hits at low, but it comes out fast and can be used to zone out opponents or lead into a powerful follow-up. Using the strong special button variant will make it slightly larger, stronger and a bit faster like Terry's Power Wave. If a move is performed in the air, Kyo will generate a short-ranged flame burst instead, which offers decent knockback.
  • Forward Special:
    • Tap: 114-Shiki: Ara Gami - Kyo steps forward as he does a flaming, right hook. Like Marth's Dancing Blade, the player can press a button again for an another attack, though they can use a control stick to choose which attack Kyo uses. Pressing the strong special button will give a rekka-combo stronger damage and knockback.
      • Forward Special: 128-Shiki: Kono Kizu - Kyo steps once again, doing a fiery uppercut with his left fist.
        • A: 127-Shiki: Yanosabi - Kyo does a downwards elbow with his left arm. A stronger variant will give it a spike.
        • B: 127-Shiki: Nanase - Kyo performs a forward thrust kick with his left leg, knocking the opponent away.
      • Down Special: 127-Shiki: Yanosabi - Same as it's variation on his Forward Special attack.
    • Hold: 115-Shiki: Dokugami - Kyo performs a forward, spinning hook with his left hand. Unlike 114-Shiki: Ara Gami, it has only one following rekka combo input.
      • Back Special: 401-Shiki: Tsumiyomi - Kyo then follows with a back-hand punch with his other fist.
      • Forward Special: 402-Shiki: Batsuyomi - Kyo elbows the opponent with a left arm.
      • Up Special: 100-Shiki: Oni Yaki - Same as it's Up Special variation with a similar command input, but has shorter jump distance.
  • Back Special: 101-Shiki: Oboro Guruma - Kyo leaps forward, kicking twice while flying through the air. Using the strong special button variant will add a third kick that spikes an opponent when other two kicks connect and increase a move's damage.
  • Up Special: 100-Shiki: Oni Yaki - Kyo performs a flaming spiral uppercut, rising up into the air. Using the strong special button variant will make Kyo deal much more damage, do a second hit, go higher and grant himself invincibility while rising.
  • Down Special:
    • Ground: 202-Shiki: Koto Tsuki You - Kyo rushes forward with his elbow out. If he hits an opponent, he will lift them into the air and blow them up with a explosion, working similarly like Ganondorf's Flame Choke. Using the strong special button variant will increase a distance that Kyo runs and give stronger damage/knockback.
    • Air: R.E.D. Kick - Kyo performs an aerial leap in an arc and does a spinning kick during that, meteor-smashing an opponent with his foot akin to Terry's aerial Power Dunk. Using the strong special button variant will make a move much stronger and change it's height/length.
  • Desperation Moves:
    • Ura 108-Shiki: Orochi Nagi - Kyo generates fire in his hand and then lets loose a powerful serpent-shaped burst of flames in-front of him. Holding the button charges the attack. Can be executed by doing a quarter-circle back and then a half-circle forward (↓ ↙↙↘ →) while pressing either a light or strong special button, with stronger damage and multi-hit properties for a latter variant.
    • Saishuu Kessen Ougi: Mu Shiki - Kyo creates a pillar of fire around himself. If an opponent is hit, he will deliver a powerful volley of attacks, leaving a trail of fiery afterimages in his wake and finishes with a powerful variant of his Up Special. Can be executed by doing a quarter circle forward twice (↓ ↘ → ↓ ↘ →) while pressing either a light or strong special button, with stronger damage and a bigger fire pillar at the start of a latter variant.
  • Final Smash: Ura 1212-Shiki: Yakumo - Kyo charges up before summoning a quick, short-ranged flame wave forward in-front of him. If it hits an opponent, they will be set ablaze as Kyo delivers a powerful right hook and then performs a powerful left uppercut, which sends them flying into the air. He then spins around with a fiery aura and then creates a huge flame symbolized after the sun of his Kusanagi clan above him by spreading his arms out, which hits an opponent multiple times before sending them flying further away. Based on his new Climax Super Special Move from The King of Fighters XV.

EDIT: Fine, they're changed right now. Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Okay so we’re gonna do a poll to see whose moveset we want for Kyo:

Also tonygameman tonygameman I have a suggestion for your kyo moveset: for the moves that have a stronger version based on if you do a command, do you think you could make it so that the stronger version is instead mapped to the strong special button? I really do like your moveset, I even think it’s better than mine lol, but I just think it would work better with the gameplay system of this game if you did. You don’t have to though.

Anyways, everyone, here are all the options for stages. Please vote for your top three or two most wanted in order, your own submission can only be in second or third place.
Guilty Gear
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Lars Canyon
nirvanafan nirvanafan May Ship
@Darkonedagger Neo New York

Darkstalkers
nirvanafan nirvanafan Cat Casino
@Darkonedagger Deserted Chateau
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule England
AlRex AlRex Fetus of God

My votes:
1. May Ship
2. Neo NY