• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: DreamWorks All-Star Brawl (AU Nick All-Star Brawl)

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
I know everyone is kind of sick of platform fighter creation threads and I currently run three. But, with PBS Kids: Brawltime! potentially going on a long hiatus soon as well as this being an idea I had in my head for a while that will probably be the quickest to finish potentially, I thought I would go for it.

We head into the headquarters of Ludosity in early 2020.

2f3b859a-01c9-4c65-8486-9f5bf1f83d0a.png

Nickelodeon and Viacom have approached the good people of Ludosity to make a platform fighter starring their roster of icons. Initially...Thaddeus likes the idea but wait.....there's some competition up ahead from other companies. It seems Viacom is not the only company to pitch a deal. Plus...they were being stingy to them in terms of what he can use. Therefore, it's time to enter this alternate universe of another licensed platform fighter developed by the great people of Ludosity! Thaddeus is ready to make some funny memes happen.

Fair Play Labs joins the party too, eventually.

The movesets will have the same template as Nick All-Star Brawl as this is an alternate universe.

1. Shrek
2. Cat in Boots
3. Po
4. Toothless
5. Alex the Lion
6. Megamind
7. Jack Frost

WIP

WIP

Same as NASB.

Credit to the FVGuy

1j6892qvhyk71.png

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Now, it's time for our first two jobs!

Job 1:

Submit a company to get a platform fighter under the development of Ludosity and Fair Play Labs. It must be a company that's not a video game company, won't be TOO expensive to license a platform fighter for, and can't be Warner Bros or Disney as they would be too expensive (plus Warner has a platform fighter). Explain your choice of company, the IPs they have, what they have to offer for Ludosity, and such that makes them the ideal choice for an "All-Star Brawl" platform fighter.

Job 2:

How many fighters should this game have for the base roster? It cannot go past 25.

Get submitting!

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #01: Netflix.
Admittedly, Netflix isn't the immediate company you'd think of in terms of a game like this - but I think it makes a degree of sense. They seem to be working on expanding their brand outward and trying to diversify what with the streaming market getting a bit crowded, so it makes sense that they'd be interested in a promotional tool like this. They also have a fairly diverse array of series and original films to pull from, even if we do make a point of focusing on Netflix originals.

Job #02: 20. This seems pretty decent in my mind. It gives enough space for a decent variety of both headlining picks and a couple of deeper cuts, whilst avoiding the allegations of "ITS CRAP BECAUSE THERE ARENT ENOUGH CHARACTERS" hopefully

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
There's a bit of misinfo about NASB in the OP. Thaddeus is not a lead at Ludosity nor a lead on NASB. I also don't really get how this thread benefits from using a specific real world studio
I will fix the info on Thaddeus.

As for the second point….basically, it’s an idea I had in my head as a “What If?” Scenario where Ludosity went forth with a different company instead of Nickelodeon for an “All-Star Brawl” game. I have heard that Cartoon Network approached them (not sure if this is true or false) but yeah, it’s just for a hook. It’s not to offend them, I just like alternate world scenarios. Plus, I think of it as a hook in a way if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 1: Sony (Not PlayStation)

images.png

Sony is a most known company for creating eletronic objects,movies and video games. Sony's platform fighter will be only movies and TV shows made by Sony,PlayStation is not allowed in this thread.

Job 2:23 Characters

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 1

Teletoon

IMG_9845.png

I know there’s a thread about a potential platform fighter involving the Teletoon IPs but now…we can make that a reality…well, alternate reality here.

Basically, Teletoon is (well, was) a cartoon channel that aired in 1997 and had original programming such as 6Teen, Totally Spies, Johnny Test (even though he is owned by WildBrain), Redwall, Ned’s Newt, etc. While it is a little nichè of a brand of a cartoon channel and revamping to Cartoon Network this year….a platform fighter for this collection of Canadian cartoons can bring more attention to them. Imagine if a Teletoon platform fighter got revealed at a Get On My Level tournament (the big Smash Bros/FGC major that happens in the summer in Toronto) and the hype it would get for sure.

Job 2:

25 Fighters

A lot of potential here for sure.

We could get potential Donkey Kong Country (the cartoon) and Caillou content for DLC/post-game stuff.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Job #01: Image Comics
Job#001_ImageComics.png

After DC Comics and Marvel Comics, Image Comics is probably the most important comic book publisher in the US. They made a plethora of famous and interesting titles, including Spawn, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Witchblade, and Savage Dragon. Despite its decently large roster of icons, Image rarely gets talked about in threads like this, so I wanted to give them a chance.

Job #02
Image Comics is a decently large company, but not a huge one. So I’m going with 20 characters at base. This allows us to add some fan-favorites, while also being able to add some more out-there picks

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Job 1: Aardman Animations

The master of stop motion, this company has famous IPs from Wallace and Gromit, Shaun the Sheep to Chicken Run and has experience with video games in the past. The game would have a unique art style and gameplay mechanics due to the clay figures.

Job 2: 16
Aardman is a smaller company.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast for Job #02, the amount of characters is related to the company we’re submitting in Job #01 or are these going to be separate votes? Because my submission for Job #02 was mostly for the sake of having the choice of a lower number

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast for Job #02, the amount of characters is related to the company we’re submitting in Job #01 or are these going to be separate votes? Because my submission for Job #02 was mostly for the sake of having the choice of a lower number
For Job 2, I have now decided the roster number will be attached to your company for voting.

Also, submissions will be closing around Wednesday/Thursday-ish! That means, get your company submissions alongside the roster number in soon!

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Weekly Shonen Sunday

The most popular Shonen manga besides Jump (which has a **** ton of crossover games, including platform fighters!) so I think it’s long overdue for a crossover video game. Some of their most famous IP’s we could have are Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, InuYasha, Detective Conan, Magi, and Komi Can’t Communicate. Fairly good variety of styles from comedy to mystery to more action focused stories

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 1: DreamWorks

With nearly 30 years under its belt and a variety of beloved properties (Shrek, Madagascar, and Kung Fu Panda to name a few), there's no shortage of potential when it comes to DreamWorks.

Job 2: 25 - DreamWorks can easily meet that.
Job #01: Netflix.
Admittedly, Netflix isn't the immediate company you'd think of in terms of a game like this - but I think it makes a degree of sense. They seem to be working on expanding their brand outward and trying to diversify what with the streaming market getting a bit crowded, so it makes sense that they'd be interested in a promotional tool like this. They also have a fairly diverse array of series and original films to pull from, even if we do make a point of focusing on Netflix originals.

Job #02: 20. This seems pretty decent in my mind. It gives enough space for a decent variety of both headlining picks and a couple of deeper cuts, whilst avoiding the allegations of "ITS CRAP BECAUSE THERE ARENT ENOUGH CHARACTERS" hopefully
Job 1: Sony (Not PlayStation)

View attachment 374460

Sony is a most known company for creating eletronic objects,movies and video games. Sony's platform fighter will be only movies and TV shows made by Sony,PlayStation is not allowed in this thread.

Job 2:23 Characters
Job 1

Teletoon

View attachment 374465

I know there’s a thread about a potential platform fighter involving the Teletoon IPs but now…we can make that a reality…well, alternate reality here.

Basically, Teletoon is (well, was) a cartoon channel that aired in 1997 and had original programming such as 6Teen, Totally Spies, Johnny Test (even though he is owned by WildBrain), Redwall, Ned’s Newt, etc. While it is a little nichè of a brand of a cartoon channel and revamping to Cartoon Network this year….a platform fighter for this collection of Canadian cartoons can bring more attention to them. Imagine if a Teletoon platform fighter got revealed at a Get On My Level tournament (the big Smash Bros/FGC major that happens in the summer in Toronto) and the hype it would get for sure.

Job 2:

25 Fighters

A lot of potential here for sure.

We could get potential Donkey Kong Country (the cartoon) and Caillou content for DLC/post-game stuff.
Job #01: Image Comics
View attachment 374491
After DC Comics and Marvel Comics, Image Comics is probably the most important comic book publisher in the US. They made a plethora of famous and interesting titles, including Spawn, The Walking Dead, Invincible, Witchblade, and Savage Dragon. Despite its decently large roster of icons, Image rarely gets talked about in threads like this, so I wanted to give them a chance.

Job #02
Image Comics is a decently large company, but not a huge one. So I’m going with 20 characters at base. This allows us to add some fan-favorites, while also being able to add some more out-there picks
Job 1: Aardman Animations

The master of stop motion, this company has famous IPs from Wallace and Gromit, Shaun the Sheep to Chicken Run and has experience with video games in the past. The game would have a unique art style and gameplay mechanics due to the clay figures.

Job 2: 16
Aardman is a smaller company.
Weekly Shonen Sunday

The most popular Shonen manga besides Jump (which has a **** ton of crossover games, including platform fighters!) so I think it’s long overdue for a crossover video game. Some of their most famous IP’s we could have are Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, InuYasha, Detective Conan, Magi, and Komi Can’t Communicate. Fairly good variety of styles from comedy to mystery to more action focused stories
Alright, I will close both jobs. Vote for your top 3 companies. Remember, the roster number you submitted is attached to your company. You can only put the company you submitted in second or third.

Dreamworks (25 fighters) FazDude FazDude
Netflix (20 fighters) KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Sony Entertainment (23 fighters) DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26
Teletoon (25 fighters) AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Image Comics (20 fighters) LoZ00 LoZ00
Aardman Animations (16 fighters) Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
Weekly Shonen Sunday (25 fighters) Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule

1. Dreamworks
2. Aardman
3. Teletoon

I am extremely familiar with Dreamworks and they fit the "kooey kablooey" aspect of an "All-Star Brawl" platform fighter made by Ludosity. They are a no-brainer for this genre. Aardman would be extremely fun too especially with a platform fighter with claymation aspects and such. Self-vote for Teletoon as I feel the company needs some love. They fit the kooey kablooey aspect I like as well.

All the other companies submitted were great choices. Sony Entertainment and Image Comics came very close though.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
1. Aardman Animations: I love some fun companies that you don’t see that often. Aardman gets a bonus over other companies here simply because claymation means that the game could take a very cartoony approach and I’d personally love to see it irl. I know it won’t happen, but still, it made me dream.
2. Dreamworks: a company that fits very well with this genre, Dreamworks has some extremely cool characters that would make for fantastic fighters. I mean, Shrek is love, Shrek is life, am I right?
3. Image Comics: self-vote, but I stand by what I said when I submitted Image Comics: this comic book publisher is decently large, has some very cool characters and yet it gets talked only a handful of times.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Alright, I will close both jobs. Vote for your top 3 companies. Remember, the roster number you submitted is attached to your company. You can only put the company you submitted in second or third.

Dreamworks (25 fighters) FazDude FazDude
Netflix (20 fighters) KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Sony Entertainment (23 fighters) DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26
Teletoon (25 fighters) AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Image Comics (20 fighters) LoZ00 LoZ00
Aardman Animations (16 fighters) Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
Weekly Shonen Sunday (25 fighters) Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule

1. Dreamworks
2. Aardman
3. Teletoon

I am extremely familiar with Dreamworks and they fit the "kooey kablooey" aspect of an "All-Star Brawl" platform fighter made by Ludosity. They are a no-brainer for this genre. Aardman would be extremely fun too especially with a platform fighter with claymation aspects and such. Self-vote for Teletoon as I feel the company needs some love. They fit the kooey kablooey aspect I like as well.

All the other companies submitted were great choices. Sony Entertainment and Image Comics came very close though.
  1. DreamWorks. Hey, even if a lot of people see their output as mostly being memes, schlock, and Megamind, DreamWorks' stuff is genuinely pretty solid and I don't think enough people give it genuine credit. Plus, come to think of it, this would end up being a sequel to Shrek Super Slam. Weird. Cool.
  2. Image Comics. Okay, I actually came really close to submitting this and I'm glad someone else did (mostly because I wasn't sure if it'd be applicable due to all of the properties being creator-owned), but it's still got plenty of potential even in a more cartoony style. (I'd lowkey love to see it stylised like a 90s cartoon or something, if that were possible.)
  3. Aardman. Okay, personally wouldn't have thought of this, but you know what? I'm liking it! It'd certainly be something really unique overall, and you could easily go with a mix of pretty iconic inclusions as well as a ton of interesting deep cuts. Can't help but imagine that the "joke character" would be a ****ing DFS Furniture employee though like from the adverts

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright, here are the results:

Dreamworks: 37
Netflix: 12
Sony Entertainment: 1
Teletoon: 3
Image Comics: 16
Aardman: 15
Weekly Shonen Sunday: 5

It seems we have a clear winner with the Dreamworks sweep! Congrats to FazDude FazDude and his submission of DreamWorks being chosen. This game will have 25 fighters!

To start us off, I have added four of the most iconic DreamWorks characters to the roster, those being Shrek (can't forget him), Po, Alex the Lion and Toothless! A good start to our roster!

Now, onto our next three jobs, one character submission and a few discussion questions:

Job 2:

Submit a character to join the roster. It can be any character owned by DreamWorks. However, please explain why they are deserving to be on the roster and what they can bring.

Discussion Question #1:

Should we follow Nick All Star Brawl's route of each fighter getting their home stage or do we just give each series a few stages with a few extras? Talk about it here.

Discussion Question #2:

Should we just title this game "DreamWorks All Star Brawl" or give it a different name?

Get submitting!

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Character Submission:

Jack Frost (Rise of The Guardians)

6493003d6d2bcf311f3e498764fb09c3.jpg

Rise of the Guardians is a DreamWorks movie that was released in 2012 that was based on the book series, The Guardians of Childhood and the short film The Man on The Moon. The story is about how guardians Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Sand Man recruited Jack Frost to stop their arch nemesis, Pitch Black from making the world into a world of darkness within dreams. Jack Frost is a super capable fighter as he has ice powers via his staff. I do think he can potentially be a rushdown/zoner hybrid in this game and I just think his cool (no pun intended) gimmick of him using his cryokinesis powers against his fellow DreamWorks fighters. The movie is fun and Jack would be a fun addition as he is the Guardian of Fun after all!

As for stages, I agree with Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule . However, we could potentially do a few extra for maybe DLC or for the future since DreamWorks is giving us a bigger budget. For the title, I am fine with DreamWorks All-Star Brawl as well. It has a nice ring to it.

FazDude

Smash Master
Character: The Penguins of Madagascar

Some of the Madagascar franchise's most iconic characters; Popular enough to get their own movie and TV show, at that! There'd be an element of teamwork involved, with the player controlling Skipper and the other penguins appearing to help out with some attacks.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #02: Boss Baby (The Boss Baby)

Let's be honest. He's the reason you're playing this game. Sure, characters like Shrek or Toothless have their appeal. But at the same time, we all know that having a roster consisting of Boss Baby alone with like 20 roster slots, all consisting of variations of Boss Baby that have minor differentiations, would be the best-selling game in recorded history. I mean, no other DreamWorks project has ever connected so incredibly deeply with its viewers, with its nuanced critiques of late-stage capitalism and of the expectations placed upon the youth. If any film of the 21st century can be said to be equivalent in importance to Citizen Kane, The Boss Baby is obviously the key candidate for that list. I think it's high time for the #BossBabySweep.

Jokes aside, it is a more modern and prominent DreamWorks project, and I think there's genuine potential for some of the elements from the films to make for a decent moveset. It'd also be pretty funny.

Discussion: The name seems fine to me! Also, I think a stage for each character feels best. It gives a lot more potential for some more personalised picks that we might otherwise not really see!

Last edited:
Dreamworks fighter submission:
Felix the Cat
1689605794115.png
Felix the Cat is one of earliest cartoon characters that existed before Mickey existed. He is a monochromatic black & white cat that goes on random adventures like any cartoon character.
Felix the Cat was made by Pat Sullivan and Otto Messmer and he was a character originating from silent film-era. He was later redesigned by Joe Oriolo while he was making a 1953 TV series based on him.
He is also one of iconic artoon characters and from now on, he's owned by Dreamworks Animation and recently, WildBrain is making series based on Felix the Cat.

He could have interesting moveset, like he could use random stuff taken from his cartoons or he could use rubberhose physics in the fight.
He could have a lot of alts in the game ranging from his classic design to modern redesign.
He would be middleweight character with no additional movement options.

I mean, Felix is owned by Dreamworks and he experienced fighting, so he could make sense somehow. Plus he would be Mr. Game & Watch of the game due to being a retro fighter (and also one of the oldest Dreamworks characters ever created) and even one of most unexpected choices for the game.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I don't have any character I'd rather see over a few that have been thrown around already, so I won't submit anybody for this job.
What I want to do however is to advocate for the Smash route, when it comes to stages. I really love when platfighters add stages from franchises without characters, so I believe that this approach would allow us to give a better representation to DreamWorks as a whole.

Top Bottom