• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: An Alternate SSB Universe, Part II: Melee

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Job 21:

For Yoshi, I'll submit Yoshi's New Island Inc. (a stage hack for Brawl), though it would simply be referred to as Yoshi's Island, as it would be the first Yoshi stage implemented.

For Wario, the stage I'm submitting is Wario Castle. It's the same as the Smash 2 version (above).

Now that the Cracker Launcher is an item, I'll submit the Chozo Statue as a trophy.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
I changed my Rice Beach layout where it is similar to the one in Crusade except for the three blocks in midair.
From the submissions, Dancing Blade was added as Marth’s side special by default.

For the Yoshi stage, we’ll decide if Yoshi’s Island will have the Super Smash Flash layout or a layout similar to hazardless WarioWare with the poll below.

For the Kirby side special and Wario stage, there are three nominations for each,

Kirby side special
Pupp135 Pupp135 Hammer
Butters Stotch Butters Stotch Hammer Flip
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Flame

Wario Stage
Pupp135 Pupp135 Rice Beach
Butters Stotch Butters Stotch Wario’s Castle
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Awazon River Basin

For groups, vote for your two most wanted ones, where your submission cannot be first.

My votes

Kirby side special
1. Hammer Flip
2. Flame

Wario Stage
1. Wario’s Castle
2. Rice Beach

Pupp135

Smash Champion
From the poll, there was a tie, and since I haven’t placed my vote yet, I’ll go with the Super Smash Flash layout, so that will be our layout.

For the Kirby Side Special:
Hammer 0
Hammer Flip 7
Flame 5
Hammer Flip is Kirby’s side special.

For the Wario stages:
Rice Beach 3
Wario’s Castle 7
Awazon River Basin 5

Wario’s Castle is the Wario stage.

Job 22: Submit a newcomer whose debut is before 2000 and why you think that they would be a good fit. I’d like to note that transformation characters are allowed for nominations, but remember that each part of transformations are separate fighters in terms of development. Also, one person can submit a transformation character, but some one else is allowed to nominate the one of these characters separately.
I’ll renominate Ness for my newcomer.

Ness SSB.png
I’ll nominate Ness from Mother since Earthbound 64 was in development at the time, and the PSI moves would lead to an interesting moveset.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Job 22:

I’ll submit King Dedede. He was previously submitted by another user and deserves another shot. He’s the most iconic HAL Labs character that isn’t Kirby and serves as his #1 rival. He in top 5 for the Smash 2 poll and is/was a very relevant character.

Barring some of his specials, his moveset would be slightly different, as he would hold his hammer with one hand instead of two (which he does in the Kirby games, but not in Smash); maybe he could borrow some moves from Hammer Kirby?

Last edited:
My Submittion for Job 22:
Pit (Kid Icarus) Resubmittion:

I nominate Pit, because he could be NES Retro Rep of AU SSB Melee. Even though, he has a lot of Moveset Potential to borrow from, like Palutena's Bow as Neutral B or Wings of Icarus as Up B. He is even representing series that wasn't even alive by years and he could be cool on Fight.
His design is Based on Melee Trophy version of Him with Leaf Crown from Myths and Monsters.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Job 22: Diddy Kong
1633885043106.png

Being around since Donkey Kong Country started, Diddy Kong would be a great fit for this game.
He will use his Peanut Popgun, Throw banana peels and use a jet pack, among other tools.
I was considering a Pokémon, but since Mewtwo just got in, I decided to switch things up a bit.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m making two submissions…

Skull Kid
Skull Kid was the major antagonistic in Majora’s Mask. Considering we have Great Bay (kind of wondering why it wasn’t Clock Town or Termina Field but I disagree). Now, the character debuted in 2000 so perhaps it’s not fit for this job. Skull Kid has consistently been on the top of my most-wanted character list so having him in playable form would simply be amazing. There’s tons of potential the character can have with an unique moveset that would be possible for the Melee era. Attacks could include magical attacks that aim as disrupting opponents rather than our right damage as well as ones centered around childish pranks. Skull Kid would be rather floaty and be a character that levitates while in battle - a first in the series.

If that’s too close to 2000, then…

Baby Mario & Luigi
These would serve as a secondary Yoshi newcomer but works in tandem. It would be possible to switch the two with both of them having different abilities. Without one though, the other is helpless. Attacks could including crying, diaper floating, throwing rudimentary childish fireballs, and transforming into Super Baby. Despite their short, stubby toddler legs and learning to walk just months prior; they would be surprisingly fast and nimble - comparable to Pichu. They would lack a notable jump though but their short stature and nature of ganging up on opponents like toddlers in the playground would be their strong suit.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion

Skull Kid
Skull Kid was the major antagonistic in Majora’s Mask. Considering we have Great Bay (kind of wondering why it wasn’t Clock Town or Termina Field but I disagree). Now, the character debuted in 2000 so perhaps it’s not fit for this job. Skull Kid has consistently been on the top of my most-wanted character list so having him in playable form would simply be amazing. There’s tons of potential the character can have with an unique moveset that would be possible for the Melee era. Attacks could include magical attacks that aim as disrupting opponents rather than our right damage as well as ones centered around childish pranks. Skull Kid would be rather floaty and be a character that levitates while in battle - a first in the series.

Baby Mario & Luigi
These would serve as a secondary Yoshi newcomer but works in tandem. It would be possible to switch the two with both of them having different abilities. Without one though, the other is helpless. Attacks could including crying, diaper floating, throwing rudimentary childish fireballs, and transforming into Super Baby. Despite their short, stubby toddler legs and learning to walk just months prior; they would be surprisingly fast and nimble - comparable to Pichu. They would lack a notable jump though but their short stature and nature of ganging up on opponents like toddlers in the playground would be their strong suit.
Since Skull Kid technically debuted in OoT, he would still be eligible. Also, since Lucas was originally intended to be in Melee over Ness, I feel that incorporating attacks from Majora’s mask would be okay in this case, and just like the Jhoto pokemon, we’ll assume that we had information about upcoming LoZ games.

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace

Skull Kid

Baby Mario & Luigi
Majora's Mask came out in early 2000, so it's likely that there were concepts and such to go off of at the time of planning. By the way, I really like your submissions and I think they have a lot of potential as fighters.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
I think we're not gonna see any new series representative in this AU Melee except Wario.
If our next three newcomers (this one, another free choice, and a female) aren’t retros, the next one would be a retro character, so there will be another series at some point (I’d like to see Ness and maybe Popo/Nana, but we’ll see). Even if the retro character is our last character from a new series, I’d be ok with it since there are a ton of interesting side characters to add like Peach, Diddy, K. Rool, Skull Kid, Ganon(dorf), Zelda/Sheik, Dedede, Red (hes technically a protagonist, but he’d still be another pokemon character), and Meowth (I also like that idea with the Baby Mario Bros).

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
If our next three newcomers (this one, another free choice, and a female) aren’t retros, the next one would be a retro character, so there will be another series at some point (I’d like to see Ness and maybe Popo/Nana, but we’ll see). Even if the retro character is our last character from a new series, I’d be ok with it since there are a ton of interesting side characters to add like Peach, Diddy, K. Rool, Skull Kid, Ganon(dorf), Zelda/Sheik, Dedede, Red (hes technically a protagonist, but he’d still be another pokemon character), and Meowth (I also like that idea with the Baby Mario Bros).
Speaking of Red, I’m actually thinking of submitting a Pokemon Trainer for either this or the hypothetical sequel (if it happens). Instead of being a transformation character, they would be a singular one and would actually fight instead of leaving the work to their Pokemon.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Speaking of Red, I’m actually thinking of submitting a Pokemon Trainer for either this or the hypothetical sequel (if it happens). Instead of being a transformation character, they would be a singular one and would actually fight instead of leaving the work to their Pokemon.
A solo pokemon trainer will be allowed for all subsequent jobs/sequels. I was also thinking of doing it for our alternate Smash 3 when we get to that point.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
A solo pokemon trainer will be allowed for all subsequent jobs/sequels. I was also thinking of doing it for our alternate Smash 3 when we get to that point.
If I wait until Smash 3/Brawl, then I might submit May to represent Gen 3 (the closest we had was a scrapped duo) and to add to the number of female characters.

By the way, will we be covering SSE, and if so, what changes will be made? I know we won’t be talking about an alternate Brawl for a while, but I’m just curious as to what will happen.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
If I wait until Smash 3/Brawl, then I might submit May to represent Gen 3 (the closest we had was a scrapped duo) and to add to the number of female characters.

By the way, will we be covering SSE, and if so, what changes will be made? I know we won’t be talking about an alternate Brawl for a while, but I’m just curious as to what will happen.
I’ll allow any Pokemon Trainer from the first 3 generations, Lucas, and Dawn. For Subspace, I’m unsure how we’ll approach that. I might make a poll at the beginning if we should go through with it, or do something else if we want something else. If we do Subspace, we’ll pick 30-35 characters and figure out how to group them, do bosses, and list which groups go to each level.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
I’ll allow any Pokemon Trainer from the first 3 generations, Lucas, and Dawn. For Subspace, I’m unsure how we’ll approach that. I might make a poll at the beginning if we should go through with it, or do something else if we want something else. If we do Subspace, we’ll pick 30-35 characters and figure out how to group them, do bosses, and list which groups go to each level.
Sounds good! Looking forward to the rest of this AU.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
From the votes

Ness 5
King Dedede 11
Pit 8
Skull Kid 6
Diddy Kong 12

I miscounted and made a poll, but Diddy actually had 12 votes, so he’ll be our next newcomer.

Since event matches are a fun way to add some quirky challenges, our next job is propose of a list of 5 event matches. Also, the stages do not need to be explicitly specified since we only have about a third of our stages.

First Event: Double Trouble
Player character: Mario
Stage: Mushroom Kingdom
This would be a 1v2 battle against Wario and Bowser, and the player has 2 lives

Second Event: Battle of the Swordsmen
Player character: Link
Stage: Castle Seige
This is a 1v1 against Marth, where both characters have 150hp

Third Event: Revenge of the Koopa King
Player character: Bowser
Stage: Princess Peach’s Castle
This would be a 1v3 fight against Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi, and the player has 2 lives. Also, only Mario items appear.

Fourth Event: Race to the Finish Line
Player character: Captain Falcon
Stage: Race to the Finish Line
You would race to beat Excitebiker to the end of the Race to the Finish map. If a character gets KO’ed, they must respawn at the beginning.

Fifth Event: Hungry, hungry, fighters
Player character: Wario
You, and Kirby and Yoshi CPUs start with 300 damage, and to win, you must heal all of your damage with Maxim Tomatoes before the others. KO’ed characters respawn with 300 damage.

Last edited:
Job about Event Match:
First Event: First Encounter
Player Character: Mario
Stage: Bowser's Castle
This would be 1v1 against Giant Bowser and the Fight has HP system like Mario has 100HP and Bowser has 150HP

Second Event: Galactic Shoot-out
Player character: Fox
Stage: Fountain of Dreams
This would be 1v2 against Samus and Captain Falcon with NES Zapper equipped, and Player has 2 Lives, while Enemies have also 2 Lives.

Third Event: Obstacle Course Rivalry
Player Character: Excitebiker
Stage: Traverse through Level
You would race with Captain Falcon on Traverst through Level. If Character gets KO'ed it must respawn at the beginning of Level.

Fourth Event: Two Kings and two Queens
Player Character: Mario
Stage: Wario's Castle
This would be Team Fight (2v2) with your team as Giant Wario and Normal Mario against enemy team as Giant Bowser and Yoshi. You need to KO the Pawn Character before you kill the King. Also, enemy team does the Same thing like you that fights to kill Pawn and later kill King.

Fifth Event: Trophy Tussle 1
Player Character: Wario
Stage: Princess Peach's Castle Trophy
This would act as in Real Smash event based on Trophy Tussle.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
First Event: Double Trouble
Player character: Mario
Stage: Mushroom Kingdom
This would be a 1v2 battle against Wario and Bowser, and the player has 2 lives

Second Event: Battle of the Swordsmen
Player character: Link
Stage: Castle Seige
This is a 1v1 against Marth, where both characters have 150hp

Third Event: Revenge of the Koopa King
Player character: Bowser
Stage: Princess Peach’s Castle
This would be a 1v3 fight against Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi, and the player has 2 lives. Also, only Mario items appear.

Fourth Event: Race to the Finish Line
Player character: Captain Falcon
Stage: Race to the Finish Line
You would race to beat Excitebiker to the end of the Race to the Finish map. If a character gets KO’ed, they must respawn at the beginning.

Fifth Event: Hungry, hungry, fighters
Player character: Wario
You, and Kirby and Yoshi CPUs start with 300 damage, and to win, you must heal all of your damage with Maxim Tomatoes before the others. KO’ed characters respawn with 300 damage.
Conveniently, some ideas I had for this were quite similar to yours, so I’ll just submit my ideas for event 3 and 5. I'll leave off stages, as the ones for DK and Metroid have yet to be decided on.

Kong of the Hill
Beat two DKs (or two Diddys if he’s unlocked from the start) at King of the Hill.

Bomb Fest
Based on the event from the original Melee. You fight Link and Samus as a character of choice. Explosive items will constantly spawn.

Now that Diddy is playable, I’ll submit R.O.B. as a trophy. I was actually gonna submit a Diddy & Dixie duo later down the line, but I’m glad he’s in regardless.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
First, I’m surprised that Diddy Kong got in, I was honestly expecting King Dedede to win.

Anyways, are are a bit of events

Leaders of Mario
Stage: Peaches Castle
Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Wario have a free for all. You can choose between the four.

Powerhouse Pokémon
Stage: Pokémon Stadium
Pikachu and Mewtwo fight each other. You are Pikachu and several Pokéball can spawn.

Fast and Faster
Stage: Excitebiker’s stage
Excitebiker, Fox and Captain Falcon have a battle to see who is the fastest. You can choose between the three.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Here are our nominations
Pupp135 Pupp135 Double Trouble, Battle of the Swordsmen, Revenge of the Koopa King, Race to the Finish Line, Hungry, Hungry Fighters
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds First Enounter, Galactic Shootout, Obstacle Course Rivalry, Two Kings and Two Queens, Trophy Tussle 1
Butters Stotch Butters Stotch Double Trouble, Battle of the Swordsmen, Kong of the Hill, Race to the Finish Line, Bomb Fest
BowserKing BowserKing Leaders of Mario, Powerhouse Pokemon, Fast and Faster.

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first
My votes
1. Butters Stotch Butters Stotch
2. Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
3. Pupp135 Pupp135

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
1. Pupp135
2. Butters Stotch
3. Tankman from Newgrounds

By the way, thanks for including the other events with mine. You didn’t have to do it, but I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Job 24:

I’ll submit Battlefield. It’s where they’re fought in 64 and Melee and is one of the most iconic stages in the series. It’s hard to imagine Smash without it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom