• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[ COMPLETE! ] Smashboards Creates: All-Star Strife (An indie-based platform fighter!)

FazDude

Smash Master
Voting is closed... and only I voted. I guess this means we'll be using cashregister9 cashregister9 's Madeline alts and my Hat Kid alts.

Alrighty, looks like it's time for another fighter/stage job!

Job 77: Submit a fighter from a roguelike game!
For those of you who don't know what a roguelike is, they are traditionally games which feature randomly generated areas and permadeath, among other concepts and mechanics. This Wikipedia article has some more information and examples should you need them.

Job 78: Submit a stage from a 3D game!
Please submit a stage which makes use of the third dimension (A Hat in Time is a good example). Note that you should actually be able to explore in said third dimension, meaning 2.5D games are not eligible.

Submissions close tomorrow night!

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Job 77: Guy Spelunky (Spelunky)

Guy Spelunky (henceforth Guy) is the eponymous protagonist of Spelunky, and a major character in its sequel. Descending into a mysterious cave in search of riches, he'll run into thrilling biomes, dangerous monsters, and... eggplants.

Ideally, Guy would use his design from the first Spelunky, though I'd be all for his bearded appearance from Spelunky 2 being an alt. In battle, he could make use of the various items you can find in Spelunky, such as ropes, bombs, and all sorts of weapons. I think he could be a very fun character!

Job 78: Snaktooth Island (Bugsnax)

Just like my Omori submission from a previous job, I haven't played Bugsnax yet. However, seeing as it's a relatively newer game with a large audience, I feel like it warrants a spot on our stage list. As for what the stage itself would be like, it would be a more gimmicky stage featuring the Bugsnax themselves interfering with the battle at random intervals.

Isaac (Binding of Isaac)
1651163822672.png

He is an obvious pick for Allstars Strife, since he would be another McMillen rep for this game.
He would use random items from his game as his moveset, which it would be cool.

Even speaking of his moveset, BrawlFan1 made a video based on his moveset concept.
(Is it ok to put the video here just for reference?)

I'll do the 3D stage later.

Baysha

Smash Ace
@
Nethacker
So far we've got 2 rogueliTe submissions, but no rogueliKe submissions. Why, yes, I am fun at parties. Nethacker would fight using a combination of stand weaponry and the various items that can be found in Nethack. (Represented all by text of course.) On the topic of alts, various tilesets exist that can be used.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Roguelike Character
It's hard since two of my favorite options are roguelike characters (actually three but Zagreus is already here), I will go for The Beheaded/The Prisoner/Bob from Dead Cells
1651164361911.png
I love Dead Cells, easy not only one of my top 5 favorite indie games but my top 10 games overall. The Beheaded could have a great moveset using a lot of different weapons like broadswords, crossbows, ice bombs, sandals and of course the almighty fryer pan!. And also could have a gimmick using the three different buffs from the game.

Shout out to the Gungeonners from Enter the Gungeon (my second option), if someone wants to submitt them.
Stage
1651164867304.png
The Desert from Journey, I just want something from Journey and I think this works.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The Bullet (Enter The Gungeon)

The Bullet is a Gungeoneer from Enter The Gungeon, they use guns

The Bullet and by extension the Bullet Kin are the mascots of Enter The Gungeon

Resubmitting Idiot Party
Idiot Party (Cruelty Squad)

This stage would be incredibly vertical and the platforms would be a single bridge in the middle that stretches between walls and also some platforms that float in and out.

D

Deleted member

Lady_Luck.png

Lady Luck

From the Indie Rougelike deck builder Dicey Dungeons. She would fight using the various dice from the game.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
For rougelike character, I submit Cadance from Crypt of the Necrodancer
Screenshot 2022-04-28 6.04.42 PM.png

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a rhythm game created by Brace Yourself Games in which you can only fight and move to the music. I think it would be neat to have a rhythm character in would be interesting.

My 3D stage will be Fall Mountain
Screenshot 2022-04-28 6.12.10 PM.png

Fall Mountain is the final stage in any match in Fall Guys,which was a big hit in the middle of 2020. It would be a side-scrolling stage in which you have to dodge obstacles like giant fruit and whirlygigs. If someone were to get the crown at the end, they would be invinceble for 10 seconds and the stage will reset with the characters back at the bottom.

FazDude

Smash Master
Fall Mountain is the final stage in any match in Fall Guys,which was a big hit in the middle of 2020. It would be a side-scrolling stage in which you have to dodge obstacles like giant fruit and whirlygigs. If someone were to get the crown at the end, they would be invinceble for 10 seconds and the stage will reset with the characters back at the bottom.
Despite Fall Guys no longer being an indie game due to Epic Games' buyout, this submission will be accepted per the requirements I set at the beginning of the thread: "Please note that for our purposes, for a game to be eligible, they must have been indie at their conception (meaning that games such as Minecraft are okay, despite being owned by larger entities."

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions are closed!

Please vote for your top three fighters (self-voting in 2nd-3rd only). The top two will make it in!
  • Guy Spelunky (Spelunky) (FazDude)
  • Isaac (The Binding of Isaac) (Tankman from Newgrounds)
  • Nethacker (Nethacker) (Baysha)
  • The Beheaded (Dead Cells) (Infinity Sorcerer)
  • The Bullet (Enter the Gungeon) (cashregister9)
  • Lady Luck (Dicey Dungeons) (Darkonedagger)
  • Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer) (Qwerty UIOP)
Please vote for your top two stages (self-voting in 2nd only). The top two will make it in!
  • Snaktooth Island (Bugsnax) (FazDude)
  • The Desert (Journey) (Infinity Sorcerer)
  • Idiot Party (Cruelty Squad) (cashregister9)
  • Fall Mountain (Fall Guys) (Qwerty UIOP)
---
Job 79: Submit up to two alternate announcers!
We will have a default, generic announcer, but I also want to open up the floor to other announcers from the world of indie gaming! Ideally, these characters should serve an announcer role in their home games, but non-announcers can also lend their voice if you so wish.
---
Finally, here are my votes/submissions.

Fighter votes:
  1. Nethacker
  2. Guy
  3. Lady Luck
Stage Votes:
  1. Idiot Party
  2. The Desert
Announcers
  • Hand Unit (Five Nights at Freddy's)
  • Announcer (Cuphead)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Isaac
2. Cadence
3. The Beheaded

1. Snaktooth Island
2. Idiot Party

With the Narrator from the Stanley Parable and the announcer from Broforce nominated, I think I'll pass on nominating anyone for that category - those two were the main ones that came to mind for me as far as narrators in indie games are concerned.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Announcers
I think the male and female announcers would count as two separate announcers. Unless you’re intending for them to speak in unison or something like that, you’d need to cut one of them or the Broforce announcer.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Works for me!

I'll nominate Broforce announcer and (as long as it doesn't prevent him from being a playable character) Octodad. (I figure he'd make for a funny alternate announcer, seeing as he can only speak in blurbs that vaguely sound like words)

If nominating a character would rule them out from being playable, then I'll just nominate the Broforce announcer.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
1. Cadence
2. Lady Luck
3. Bullet

1. Snaktooth Island
2. Fall Mountain

Announcers: The Default announcer from Paladins and Bain from PAYDAY 2

FazDude

Smash Master
Voting on new fighters/stages has closed!
  • Please welcome Isaac and Cadence to the roster, courtesy of Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds and Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP !
  • As for stages, our next two will be Snaktooth Island and Fall Mountain, submitted by myself and Qwerty UIOP!
----
Announcer submissions have also closed. Please pick out your top five from this list. Please note that ranked voting is not in effect; Regardless of where you put an announcer in your list, they will recieve one point. The top five announcers will be added, making for a nice even six with our default announcer!
  • Hand Unit (Five Nights at Freddy's) (FazDude)
  • Announcer (Cuphead) (FazDude)
  • SSF1 Announcer (Wario Wario Wario)
  • Old SSB Crusade Announcer (Wario Wario Wario)
  • Stanley Parable Narrator (Baysha)
  • Binding of Isaac Narrator (Baysha)
  • Male Announcer (Skullgirls) (Infinity Sorcerer)
  • Female Announcer (Skullgirls) (Infinity Sorcerer)
  • Broforce Announcer (Megadoomer)
  • Octodad (Megadoomer)
  • Crow (Nefarious) (Qwerty UIOP)
  • Padalins Announcer (cashregister9)
  • Bain (Payday 2) (cashregister9)
  • Announcer (There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension) (Tankman from Newgrounds)
----
Finally, here's today's jobs!

Job 80: Submit a major collectible!
Submit a major collectible which would be a "top prize" for certain accolades. Think of it like Smash's trophies.

Job 81: Submit a minor collectible!
Submit a minor collectible that would be more like stickers from Smash Brawl; They'd be more plentiful, but they would also have less flashiness to them.

Submissions and voting will close tomorrow night.

FazDude

Smash Master
Announcer Voting:
  • Broforce Announcer
  • Cuphead Announcer
  • SSF1 Announcer
  • Stanley Parable Narrator
  • Male Skullgirls Announcer
Job 80: Action Figures
These would be similar to trophies, but you could also twist their limbs and put them in all sorts of wacky poses!

Job 81: Stickers
Yep. Just stickers. Simple, but effective.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
-The Stanley Parable Narrator
-Broforce Announcer
-Cuphead Announcer
-Crow
-Female Skullgirls Announcer

I might nominate collectibles later, but I'll have to think about what to include.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
1. old Smash Crusade announcer
2. Broforce announcer
3. Cuphead announcer
4. SSF1 announcer
5. Slanley Parable narrator

Job 80:Cards

the Cards are normal collection cards (same as Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards) and they are similar to Spirits from Smash Ultimate, and the cards have two sides,the front side which is the image and title and the back side which is description of the card

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Job 80:Cards

the Cards are normal collection cards (same as Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards) and they are similar to Spirits from Smash Ultimate, and the cards have two sides,the front side which is the image and title and the back side which is description of the card
I think we can have a complete minigame based on that like Sho el Knight King Of Cards or something like that was called

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
  1. Game(There is no Game)
  2. Cuphead Annoucner
  3. Hand Unit
  4. Stanley Parable Annoucner
  5. Crow
Job 80: Collectable

For collectable, I'll submit Trophies
....Wait,What?
Yeah, so in Indie Pogo, The main collectable were Trophies that'll function the same as in Smash Bros. Pretty Neat,Huh?

FazDude

Smash Master
Voting on announcers has closed! The announcers from Stanley Parable, Cuphead, and Broforce, joined by Crow, will be four of our five guest announcers! However, there is a four-way tie for the fifth slot: The SSF1 Announcer, both announcers from Skullgirls, and the narrator of There is No Game. Which one will make it in? Decide in this StrawPoll: https://strawpoll.com/polls/kogjvXmlvg6
----
As for collectibles, our major collectible choices from Job 80 include...
  • Action Figures (FazDude)
  • Cards (DragonRobotKing26)
  • Trophies (Qwerty UIOP)
Please pick your favorite from the above list (self-voting will not be allowed for this vote).

My submission from Job 81, stickers, wins by default. Expect a sticker job in the near future!
----
Finally, here's today's new jobs!

Job 82/83: Submit animations for Anton and/or Peacock!
Finishing off two more fighters, please submit an entrance animation, three taunts, and/or three victory animations for either or both characters! Each category of animations will be its own vote. (Keep in mind that Annie Bell, Danton, and Nina are alts for Anton, so make sure your animations can fit them as well!)

Animation submissions and voting will close tomorrow night.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Major Collectible Vote: Cards

Anton-imations
  • Entrance
    • Anton crawls out of a manhole, dusting himself off before entering battle stance.
  • Taunts
    • Up: Anton flashes a peace sign at the camera.
    • Side: Anton plays hackey-sack with a ball.
    • Down: Anton chugs a can of soda.
  • Victory Animations
    • Anton backflips onto the screen, landing with a thumbs-up.
    • Anton shoulder bashes a Ballbuster out of frame before flexing his arms.
    • Anton flashes a thumbs-up at the camera with both hands one at a time before flexing.
Peacock Animations
  • Entrance
    • Peacock just kinda manifests herself from her hat.
  • Taunts
    • Up: Peacock removes her hat, revealing Avery beneath it.
    • Side: Peacock smokes a cigar before puffing out some smoke.
    • Down: Peacock does a ragtimey dance with a cane, clearly enjoying herself.
  • Victory Animations
    • Peacock tap dances before posing.
    • Peacock and her goons close in on the camera, with Peacock herself wearing a malicious grin.
    • Peacock appears from a portable hole (although only her head and upper body are visible), quipping "That's all, folks!" before dipping back inside as the hole closes up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom