• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate's Future: Paid DLC or Free Continuous Updates?

Room100

Smash Apprentice
There's lot of talk about final roster size, if/when we'll get DLC characters, so on and so forth. The more I think about the topic though, the more I'm of two minds as to how Nintendo and Sakurai are going to approach future Smash Ultimate content.

Will they use the same paid DLC method they used in Smash 4, bringing in packs of fighters/stages for a small amount of money?
OR
Will they periodically update Ultimate not only with balance changes but also with new fighters, new stages, or maybe even new costumes/items?

Personally, I really hope and think they might go for the latter. With that approach working well for MK8, Splatoon 2, and ARMS, I think that would be a fantastic way to handle Ultimate and keep it fresh for a long time considering it's most likely the last new Smash we'll get for a while. Or maybe since the updates require online connectivity, those character updates are "free" for members of Switch Online. What do you think?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Any characters or stages will definitely be paid dlc again.

I hope we get a combo of unique and echo together though. Of stuff that makes sense like if Geno is dlc he comes with Boshi as a Yoshi echo and Booster as a Wario echo as example.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I hope we get a combo of unique and echo together though. Of stuff that makes sense like if Geno is dlc he comes with Boshi as a Yoshi echo and Booster as a Wario echo as example.
That'd be smart, though the idea of Echoes is partially why I think at least some things will be free updates. Echoes would make a lot more sense as free additions as opposed to paid brand new fighters.

I think it'd also be cool if some kind of unlock challenge or special Event Match came with new fighters so that there's still a sense of unlocking everyone.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
That'd be smart, though the idea of Echoes is partially why I think at least some things will be free updates. Echoes would make a lot more sense as free additions as opposed to paid brand new fighters.

I think it'd also be cool if some kind of unlock challenge or special Event Match came with new fighters so that there's still a sense of unlocking everyone.
I don’t think even echoes will be free. They still take time to make, even if it’s not as long as unique characters. At best they’d be a discounted price.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
they will charge, don't expect them to work for free and nor should they be expected 2. Plus dlc is more likely to last longer if there getting paid then if it's free

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I can see costumes being free (lobster shirt toon link plz) and maybe a returning stage or two, but the rest will be paid; with possible discounts for online subscribers, as potentially hinted in the last direct. Whatever the case, DLC this time round should be more interesting because bringing back veterans is no longer an option. It should also last longer, because they won't be planning another Smash anytime soon.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I can see costumes being free (lobster shirt toon link plz) and maybe a returning stage or two, but the rest will be paid; with possible discounts for online subscribers, as potentially hinted in the last direct. Whatever the case, DLC this time round should be more interesting because bringing back veterans is no longer an option. It should also last longer, because they won't be planning another Smash anytime soon.
All that makes a lot of sense, I could totally see discounts or exclusive costumes for NSO members.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Future continous updates would be my choice. I can't see any Smash game topping this one so if they continue it. I'd say they keep releasing it for every future console with constant updates of new characters, stages, music, etc.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Paid DLC for sure. I don't want free DLC for Smash. The more money they have, the more they can accomplish. Sakurai's mentioned that DLC development is much harder for his team than core game development, so I'd rather pay and support them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don’t think even echoes will be free. They still take time to make, even if it’s not as long as unique characters. At best they’d be a discounted price.
Yeah, if Mii costumes weren't free, and echoes have more work put into them, why would they be free?

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
Since I really don't see where they go from here, I really hope they've made this a platform that can sustain itself. I'm hoping for paid DLC so it keeps going longer.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Honestly, I can see it happening either way. Free updates seems to be the norm for Nintendo's other big franchises. But I personally would PREFER Paid DLC, as odd as that sounds, as it would mean that the game is making more money, and thus its lifecycle is inherently extended. And that would imply more overall characters added.

I like the idea of the game becoming a continuously-expanding platform for adding new fighters, stages, items, COSTUMES, etc.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I imagine they'll be paid, but with a large discount if you have switch online.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Free balance patches should be a given. However, paying for DLC characters would incentivize their continued production.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I feel the first two DLC characters and stages may be free. The rest will have to pay

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I think I saw a "leak" or something say the 1st dlc would be free for switch online subscribers kind of like the mewtwo promotion and the rest being payed, probably a lot like smash 4. I actually can see this happening, does make a lot of sense and seems like something they would do to promote everything.

Last edited:

Game Boy Blue

Smash Cadet
There are so many costumes akin to Builder and Wedding Mario, and even Alph, as extras.

•Sunshine Mario
•Outset Toonlink
•Conductor Toonlink
•Narpas Zero Suit Samus (more a color pallet)
•Jody Summer Zero Suit Samus (pallet)
•Horn hat villager, Cone hat villager
•Tuxedo Snake
•Liberty Raiden Snake (alt)
•Eyepatch and/or Big Boss Snake
•Animal villagers Isabelle (alts)
•Dry Bowser
•N64/low poly for all fighters.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
After Switch Online got so much bad feedback I wouldn't be surprised if any content added after the base game is released is just free.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
After Switch Online got so much bad feedback I wouldn't be surprised if any content added after the base game is released is just free.
Why do people hate Switch Online so much, again? I really don't understand the flack.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Why do people hate Switch Online so much, again? I really don't understand the flack.
I'm with you there. NSO is absolutely fine. Virtual Console would be nice and as always Nintendo just makes some weird backwards choices sometimes like most games with online not having in-game chatting and party systems, but the fact remains that I'm still having a TON of fun on Switch and with friends NSO costs like $5 a year.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm with you there. NSO is absolutely fine. Virtual Console would be nice and as always Nintendo just makes some weird backwards choices sometimes like most games with online not having in-game chatting and party systems, but the fact remains that I'm still having a TON of fun on Switch and with friends NSO costs like $5 a year.
People used to be mad about the cloud saves fiasco but now that's resolved. It's the fact that we haven't seen any "deals" that Nintendo has talked about, there is still no organized voice chat, and the NES simulator is weak (and has already been hacked), and seems like more of a distraction.

Or simply the fact no one complained about not having to pay previously.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
People used to be mad about the cloud saves fiasco but now that's resolved. It's the fact that we haven't seen any "deals" that Nintendo has talked about, there is still no organized voice chat, and the NES simulator is weak (and has already been hacked), and seems like more of a distraction.

Or simply the fact no one complained about not having to pay previously.
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the deals, I'm sure they'll come. The voice chat is the main thing that's gets me, it's one of those classic "Oh Nintendo"s that will hopefully be fixed at some point or in future games. Didn't know about the NES hacks.

Dibble

Smash Cadet
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the deals, I'm sure they'll come. The voice chat is the main thing that's gets me, it's one of those classic "Oh Nintendo"s that will hopefully be fixed at some point or in future games. Didn't know about the NES hacks.
To be honest I wouldn't be too optimistic about that. Nintendo's attitude on online is always perplexingly 2 generations too outdated, so it usually doesn't get much better. At the end of the day, the distaste left by the NSO comes from paying for a service that was previously free, but somehow at the cost of the virtual console. I'd much rather have a Virtual Console similar to that of the Wii's rather than a Netflix service for NES games and maybe SNES and paid online.

To get back to the topic, I expect a mix of both. There's no way they WON'T charge for newcomer DLC unless they have a very good reason too. However, I can see Mii costumes going free, unless they come in packs that include third party content. Stages unrelated to newcomer DLC oughta be free too
Echoes are tricky. Unless they're also part of a DLC pack, I don't think they have enough pull to them to guarantee big sales. Either they are free or significantly cheaper.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
We all wish they'd do free updates that included characters but how would everyone feel if these updates were free for Switch online subscribers and everyone else would pay like $4.99 or something.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
We all wish they'd do free updates that included characters but how would everyone feel if these updates were free for Switch online subscribers and everyone else would pay like $4.99 or something.
I feel like thatd be a pretty cool compromise all things considered

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Giving a free echo fighter or something every once and a while wouldn't necessarily be a loss for Nintendo. It'd create good will with fans, keep them playing, and encourage them to give a look at the paid fighters as well. However, few games take this route, and Smash 4 didn't really, so I don't expect it in the slightest. Especially not after BotW made you pay for an inconsequential map feature.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I've got a Nintendo online subscription... But I don't want DLC to be locked behind a Nintendo Online subscription. Especially if they're no longer available for you to play if your subscription lapses, or the service is discontinued in the far future.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
My guess would be paid DLC being characters and stages, while continuous updates will be to balance the game along with updates to certain characters, etc.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
I don’t think there will be free dlc costumes for the characters. Look what they did with little mac, cutting his to half.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I don't have anything valuable to add to this discussion aside from that I would be completely ok with paying for DLC.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Out of any game that does paid DLC. This would be the one game I’d be 100% down to pay $30-$40 for more characters, stages, and maybe a skins (if they do it). I have no problem with having to purchase a Smash Pass. However I would like to know atleast a couple of the characters to assure it’s worth the money.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
As a small business owner, I understand that the price you're willing to pay for something indicates how genuinely you want it.

While games with different business models-- like Splatoon, for example-- are nice, the development staff required to continue to make new content for an ongoing game need to get paid. As such, assuming the prices are fair and the content is good, I'm always willing to pay for DLC to further enhance a game I love.

Expecting something for free that requires multiple salaried employees isn't what I'm about.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Hmm. You don't suppose The big bad adventure mode everybody's hoping for might end up being DLC, Octo Expansion style, do you? I'm not entirely convinced that "Spirits" is going to be what anyone expects it to be.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. You don't suppose The big bad adventure mode everybody's hoping for might end up being DLC, Octo Expansion style, do you? I'm not entirely convinced that "Spirits" is going to be what anyone expects it to be.
With the scope of the roster, it could be interesting to see a more episodic approach as opposed to a straight add-on like Octo. I also heard a neat idea similar to a raid where the boss rotated out frequently, but that would have to be free. Smash was story-based DLC would certainly be different.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
With the scope of the roster, it could be interesting to see a more episodic approach as opposed to a straight add-on like Octo. I also heard a neat idea similar to a raid where the boss rotated out frequently, but that would have to be free. Smash was story-based DLC would certainly be different.
love the idea of a rotating boss, also would love if they do what pokken is doing and have a daily challenge

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
With how big Ultimate's roster is, I doubt we're getting continuous updates. The development must've been gruelling as hell so I don't mind Sakurai making everything paid from then on.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Obviously paid DLC; they did it with Smash 4, they'll do it again with Ultimate.

Top Bottom