• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Eh don't bother me I was gonna leave this box cult site when the game came out anyway.
Lol, most of us are like that. I really pay attention to this forum for the leaks to be honest, once the game releases i really dont pay attention to forums or such.

On the other hand, like someone mentioned, any character can get it, whats the point of getting salty cause "John" joined smash? Or if a theory is fake or not?

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
You know what else bothers me about box theory, literally it never crosses anyones mind that that version of the image of the box without isabelle on it could been given to amazon or whoever as a placeholder til all the newcomers are revealed to avoid potential spoilers.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
A Bayonetta 2.0 situation?

...sounds nice.
He can send you flying off the top of the stage with his noob tower (up special)

You know what else bothers me about box theory, literally it never crosses anyones mind that that version of the image of the box without isabelle on it could been given to amazon or whoever as a placeholder til all the newcomers are revealed to avoid potential spoilers.
It literally crossed everyone's mind and is half the basis of the whole theory itself, the other half being the pattern by 9's.

This is coming from someone intentionally ignoring the box theory: don't criticize what you don't understand, my guy

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That's a completely valid point. The only thing is though: a lot of people aren't doing that. Hence why I feel box theory needs to be argued for.
And I agree with the premise, I see people having too high expectations and use dismantling the box theory as a means to work with their confirmation bias. It's the conclusion I'm confused about--that we should lower our expectations, therefore we should argue for the box theory. It's backwards--though, as below, perhaps I'm reading that too literally.

I dont think he means the box theory itself necessarily; just more in the line of 'you need to accept the possibility that there are only 2 characters left' and the Box theory kind of represents that; it represents the "worst-case scenario" in terms of characters left.
Oh, I can think of much worse case scenarios--and I'm bracing for them. But, I think I understand what the overall point is now, even if I don't think the box theory has much going for it. I'm going to go with the "No more character theory"--now I'm guaranteed to have the rest surpass my expectations!

EDIT:
Oh, trust me, that does bother me, which is why I don't think the theory has any merits. People are free to disagree, though.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
It literally crossed everyone's mind and is half the basis of the whole theory itself, the other half being the pattern by 9's.

This is coming from someone intentionally ignoring the box theory: don't criticize what you don't understand, my guy
It's a picture of a Cardboard box, not hard to understand this isnt the Da Vinci Code.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Okay, but don't come crying to us when Ken and Incineroar are the only characters left...
On the flip side, I don't think you really need to believe in the box theory to believe those two are the last ones in the base roster.

Dunno. It seems like a reasonable guess outside of any kinda promotional art theory.

It'll kinda be funny to me either way the Box Theory turns out haha

lol don't come crying to us when we get more than 2 characters. This is to you and everyone else supporting that stupid theory.
This is actually stupid cause this implies people actually want the theory to be real because of their personal desires or something lol

inb4 someone accuses me of being pro-box

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
In terms of the box theory, I can see it, but I’m fully confident in the square rep. If the last five characters aren’t ken, incenroar, steve, Sora and Geno.

Then I think we dont get steve but we do get one of the two square reps as day 1 dlc

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Prediction: Steve will be the big Bayo counter of SmUsh. Lol
Considering how the Smash community has a vastly negative opinion of both characters, if Steve actually IS the Bayonetta counter in Smash Ultimate, I feel like opinions on both characters would just flip to positive in a split second. Bayonetta would be smiled upon because of Steve being a heavy counter to her and Steve would be smiled upon for successfully bringing down the competitive monster that is Bayonetta!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
lol don't come crying to us when we get more than 2 characters. This is to you and everyone else supporting that stupid theory.
Who said I was supporting the Theory? Because I don't. It's just a what if situation... I believe there will be more than just Ken and Incineroar...

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Yeah, I don't understand why people keep putting Black Shadow in their fake leaks. F-Zero hasn't had a new game in nearly 15 years... why do people assume it's getting a new character over current ongoing franchises like Kirby and Star Fox?
Edit: Changed one word because it caused angry comments.
Same reason people put Ninten.

If we got Ninten (mainly Ninten, but any Mother/Earthbound third playable), and no second F-Zero, that could literally be the only thing that could piss me off.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
In terms of the box theory, I can see it, but I’m fully confident in the square rep. If the last five characters aren’t ken, incenroar, steve, Sora and Geno.

Then I think we dont get steve but we do get one of the two square reps as day 1 dlc
I'm thinking the "final five" will include Ken, a Gen 7 Pokemon, and Geno.
I also think Sora (or Riku or Tidus or whatever you want the second SE rep to be) and Steve would end up DLC

But I don't have answers as to who I think the remaining two in the "final five" are haha. I'm thinking two more echos.
That'd be the scenario in my head.

I think the very first DLC character revealed will probably be someone "surprising".

I don't think they necessarily need to end the base roster reveals on anyone super "hype", but it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
This is actually stupid cause this implies people actually want the theory to be real because of their personal desires or something lol

inb4 someone accuses me of being pro-box
You just described what the box theory is. Congratulations lol. At least blog theory has a solid basis regarding a strict schedule by Nintendo themselves, not based on placeholder BS of a product releasing a 37 days before the actual game. Like i said before, see you around when we get more than 2, which we will.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You just described what the box theory is. Congratulations lol. At least blog theory has a solid basis regarding a strict schedule by Nintendo themselves, not based on placeholder BS of a product releasing a 37 days before the actual game. Like i said before, see you around when we get more than 2, which we will.
Which I also believe.
Think you're missing my point.

Nobody actually desires the theory to be real. It's a lot of people's "potential worst case scenarios" despite the roster being totally fine even as it is currently.
People would more than likely not cry over it being wrong.

Why is everyone on both sides of this so far in their own head that it's gotten so toxic lol

I shouldn't have to keep disclaiming my posts with the fact I am not "pro-box theory" but some rabid people might like to assume I am because I try and correct people's assumptions about it lmao

Last edited:

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
Has something changed about the box theory today or are we on the 10th day of going around in circles?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Don't come crying to me when we get new content!

...ok I won't.

Because I won't be crying.

Because i'll be happy.

Because I don't want box theory to be real...

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
not even deserve. I don't think he would work gameplay wise.
He would be either ganondorf or falcon. Quite redundant, even visually (as black shadow would probably employ purple flames).
Really?

Link, Toon Link, Young Link.
Marth, Roy, Lucina, Chrom.
Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi.
Fox, Falco, Wolf.
Ness, Lucas.
Samus, Dark Samus,
Pit, Dark Pit.
Pikachu, Pichu.
Simon, Ricther.
Peach, Daisy.

He must be Falcon or Meleedorf?
Just like Isabelle had to be a Villager echo?
And how Dixie Kong must also be an echo?

What does even the word "deserve" and "not deserve" even mean? I feel that it's utter bull****.
We don't decide who deserves it or not. Sakurai choose the ones he'd like to have in the game.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Okay, but don't come crying to us when Ken and Incineroar are the only characters left...
"I'm not saying box theory is definitive and making other people look dumb for believing otherwise!!"
"Don't come crying to us when box theory is right..."
What was that about box theory not being aggressively shoved to 'temper expectations'? You are literally saying people who don't believe it will come "crying back" as if you're 100% right. Please, just give up.

splat

Smash Lord
You could also argue the box theory has a solid basis regarding a schedule by Nintendo themselves: the Nintendo Direct schedule that we’ve seen in the previous years. Smash speculation is filled with made up patterns, it’s insane.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
All I see is people saying box practitioners are condescending when blog practitioners are often by far more condescending.

'See you when we get more than 2 characters, then.'

Seriously? You gotta be joking me. I don't even fully believe Box Theory and this is one the most pointless, laughable statements you could make. Box Theorists don't WANT to be right, they would like there to be more just like anyone would, but they have found a reasonable basis to assume there isn't much left and would prefer if the community would hold back on their expectations as well. Getting more than 2 characters would make everyone happy, including boxers. I can't speak for everyone, and their will of course be minorities who legit are just being pricks, but by and large the main idea is that it's a reasonable idea that would honestly help everyone in the long run to at least consider, lest people let their subjective need for a character or two override the objective quality of the whole game.

What you said proves it's no longer about the thrill of speculation and character reveals to you. It's just about being right.

Bloggers and boxers alike get to rejoice if blog theory is right. Boxers have exclusive right to say 'told you so' if bloggers complain if box theory is right. 'Told you so' to boxers means NOTHING.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Has something changed about the box theory today or are we on the 10th day of going around in circles?
Day 10 of the circle game. To be fair, I think this is spillover from hype caused by the last direct. People waited an extra week and put a lot of faith that Smash information would be in it, only for Isabelle, and Isabelle alone, to finally be revealed. This appealed greatly to very few people; was indifferent to many more; and caused discontent amongst a larger amount.

In a sense, the hype garnered by the direct (exacerbated by a longer wait) was never satisfied and now people are getting edgy and circling things that normally would have died or retreated into obscurity a lot sooner.

Also, as it approaches the 'final hour' in terms of what we're all expecting, many people who don't like the possibility that there could only be 2 left are vehemently denying it, causing the circle to continue.

Disappointing rumors like this usually get a long life span. I remember waiting for X/Y to release and I was on the Serebii forums. The late rumor that detailed all the pokemon, but showing only 89 new additions, was hated by a lot of people and fought pretty hard. Even after the game was datamined and proven to only have 89 new additions, people still argued and clung to hope that simply wasn't there.

So the thought of even acknowledging the box theory is driving a lot of people out of the woodwork to revive the discussion and argue against it as others (from 2 different sides no less) are arguing in favor: 1 side saying "yeah, its gotta be true" and another saying "True or not; the possibility of only 2 left needs to be taken into consideration". Having two sides argue essentially in favor of the box theory is getting people on edge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do you have any reason for claiming it's "stupid"? It matches with what Vergeben's concretely said about the roster (and he's been extremely accurate so far), and it lines up with Sakurai's comment telling us to not expect too many new characters.

I'd love to see more characters added beyond Ken and Incineroar, but it seems weird to dismiss it entirely without any justification.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It keeps going in circles because people keep escalating it because they keep getting personally offended by it for some reason.
It's ridiculous lol

Reminds me of old people on facebook arguing about politics

But anyway this is getting out of hand a bit (as if it hasn't already lol)

Have a controversial viewpoint to talk about:
While Vergeben has been "typically correct", there's no telling what could happen with his other information, or even information he's had for a while.
A slim chance, but a non-zero chance, exists for Incineroar not actually being in the game base game.
While Nintendo is very forward about how much they're "waiting for the game to be complete before considering DLC", it's not like they couldn't just be lying just a little bit. Incineroar came into the picture with a notable delay compared to Simon and Isabelle, so maybe they ended up talking about Incineroar being DLC early, with a different Gen 7 Pokemon being in or no Gen 7 Pokemon in Base at all.

There is a non-zero chance of this happening.

More like a 0.001% chance. Yes, this is almost entirely unlikely, just kinda wanna see what happens haha. What-if scenarios help think about things other than the "most likely course of action" as we're all accustomed to.
Btw Riku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom