• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sora and Geno are stuck in a fierce competition, head to head against each other

And a Dragon Quest character sneaks right through

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
wow, 20+ new pages since I went sleeping. Why are people certain about Sora now? Can somebody please explain?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
wow, 20+ new pages since I went sleeping. Why are people certain about Sora now? Can somebody please explain?
I wonder that too. The only signs that have pointed to Sora have been an unfounded rumor, which also mentioned Geno, and that tweet by the co-creator of Sora which more likely meant he likes the idea

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Typical Smash fanbase histrionics based around poorly communicated claims.

Everyone up in arms over a claim from a past leaker that "sources indicate" Sora is coming, when his elaboration reads:
Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.47.56 AM.png

Very credible sources, aren't they.

Disney airs smash tournaments on their channel, so I don’t think they take issue with the game. Sure they don’t have their ips in it, but the fact that they still actively air the series is something worth noting
Broadcasting Smash and putting your own characters on the battlefield are apples and oranges though.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
This isn't relevant to the immediate discussion but I feel it's extremely important that every leak speculator is aware of this.
doesnotuse4chan.png

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Kingdom Hearts also has side games where Sora does not actively team up with Donald and Goofy. Basically whenever he gets pulled in a world where people cant follow him. I wouldn't mind seeing him without them. I would really love Sora. Kingdom Hearts is among my favourite games ever.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
First of all, Donald was a German Nazi who worked with nukes in the cartoons. No need to get all sassafras over here. I'm friends with people in Disney Legal. I'm literally feeding lines I have spoken to them about in the past (not specifically about Smash). Having life-like artillery and explosives around Donald is something they actively avoid.

Here's the cartoon if anyone is interested. Sensitive political content and whatnot.
That's very interesting insight, thank you for sharing! Thinking over what the most likely scenarios for Sakurai playing it safe with Disney's big three's appearances would probably be, this is what I would expect (with the most controversial situations listed after):
  • In a cinematic cutscene like Captain Falcon's or Duck Hunt's, Sora teams with Goofy and Donald to attack the helpless opponent(s) in a Kingdom Hearts-accurate unrealistic manner.
    • Donald and Goofy are seen interacting with (attacking) characters that could be seen as somewhat provocative, such as Zero Suit Samus, Bayonetta, or naked Shulk.
    • Donald and Goofy are seen attacking characters wielding unrealistic or cartoonish weapons, such as Bayonetta's guns, Link's sword, or Pit's bow/swords, or characters not actively wielding realistic weapons but with them subtly included in their design, such as the Belmonts' medieval flails with cross handles or Snake's holstered pistol (only its handle physically visible).
  • Mickey appears in the background of a Kingdom Hearts stage in a non-interactive role.
    • Characters in the foreground, in front of Mickey but completely separated from him, use explosives with unrealistic/cartoonish effects, swords, flails, unrealistic guns, baseball bats, and fists for the purpose of cartoonish/unrealistic violence toward other characters.
Do you believe Disney would accept these circumstances in the context of an E10+ video game, or would they take too much issue with one or any of these situations? I'm inclined to believe that if not, the only option would be for Mickey, Donald, and Goofy to not appear in actual gameplay in any capacity, but seeing as you're quite familiar with their limitations, I refer to your opinion for whether it would come to that or not.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
People that think Donald, Mickey and Goofy are very innocent characters that would never interact with guns have not read the comics from Disney Italia, such as DoubleDuck or Duck Avenger, where Donald gets held at gunpoint.

Even Mickey gets in on the action in an Italian comic series.

Sometimes, the guns get censored as tranquillizers but there are instances where they are kept as realistic guns.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It seems everyone deserted the General Discussions and came to here.
Waking up to 20 pages later, yet reading the latest posts made me think I accidentally stumbled upon the General Discussion thread--was an indication to me we had diddly squat.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
C'mon... Thinking that Sora not bringing the Disney characters with him is what hurt him or is untrue to his Character is the most literal non-issue.

That's literally the last of the issue he have and gasping at straw.

He only is with his Disney Ally for the two main games. But in MOST of his appearance he fights alone and have MORE than enough moveset potential with the **** tons of abilities in his games.

Not saying that He's in because lmao. Sora have a tons more issue and I believe he would be third considered for a Square rep behind Geno and a Dragon-Quest rep who all have immensely more chance.

But using OTHER Disney characters as an issue is not what is hurting his chance. What hurt his chance is his legal connection to Disney that might be the hardest obstacle to overcome even if Square-Enix are the one managing most of his appearance and the fact that it might becomes a game of "Disney say yes but Nomura Say no" or vice-versa since you need two party to agree.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
I would be happy for sora fans if sora is in smash, but mickey, donald and goofy in smash... this doesnt feel right :/

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Now would be the best time for Sora to be in Smash, considering it can promote KH3 coming out the month after

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think that while Disney characters aren't necessary for Sora to be included in the game, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Kingdom Hearts included without them, it would be a nice inclusion that would add unique possibilities. I feel like the non-video game character rule only does and only should apply to playable characters. There are interesting grey areas--for instance, Dracula is a literary character, but it's very difficult to fully represent Castlevania without his inclusion. Disney characters is a whole other level, yes, but iconic Disney characters design-wise fit well with Nintendo characters--there are many superficial similarities owing to them both being animated characters in a sense, even though Nintendo characters originated in video games.

And while I agree the inclusion would be more difficult legally than getting Sora solo--I do believe Sora is much more likely than people think, and likewise, Disney characters, while more complicated, aren't out of the realms of possibility. And Nintendo and Disney have shown they have worked together well enough in the past, they share a demographic while not being directly opposed to each other, and there are no obvious conflicts between the companies that would make me think Disney would be harder than say--Microsoft, as Microsoft is technically a rival company, despite working in different regimes with different demographics. I think the major legal hurdles would be money, as well as how they are represented, rather than a design philosophy or business conflict from either company that would cause issues.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Now would be the best time for Sora to be in Smash, considering it can promote KH3 coming out the month after
Though the problem is KHIII isn't gonna be on the Switch...
I'm in the same boat with Skull Kid.

Too many fake image leaks for my boi, yet no actual credible leaker has mentioned him *feelsbadman*
I know exactly how you feel... I'm Waiting for a Rhythm Heaven Rep to get leaked (The Agnes Leak had me on the edge of my seat, Just because the Chorus Men were involved...)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Simon, Richter and Alucard are the only Castlevania characters that were made for the games rather than taken from mythology or literature that are in Smash and even then, the idea of Dracula backwards as a name isn't that original.

Speaking of, Medusa and Hades are also lifted from Greek Mythology, albeit Medusa getting a promotion from cursed mortal to Goddess and Hades definetly being based more of Disney's version that the actual figure of myth.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I see you your Dr Kawashima and Dracula and raise you they video game specific versions of those characters while Kingdom Heart Disney characters are still very much meant to be the original counterpart.

Same as Medusa and Hades are still Kid Icarus Uprising characters because they are their own interpretation in every possible way of those characters.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here's my take:

Incineroar, Ken, Shadow, Sora, and Steve are what's left on the base roster. Incineroar will be revealed in October, and the other four will be revealed in a November Smash Bros. Direct alongside Geno, who is our first DLC character. Either that, or Geno is revealed at the literal last second at the Video Game Awards the day before the game releases, and someone else is our DLC character (Either Isaac, Rex & Pyra, or maybe Banjo & Kazooie)

Remember this when it's proven right.
That is a bold claim, but something tells me your hot take will knee-jerkingly change when the legitimate leaks and reveals come around.

I can't help but instinctively feel that you will be wrong. You should retract your statement soon IMO. :p

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Here's my take:

Incineroar, Ken, Shadow, Sora, and Steve are what's left on the base roster. Incineroar will be revealed in October, and the other four will be revealed in a November Smash Bros. Direct alongside Geno, who is our first DLC character. Either that, or Geno is revealed at the literal last second at the Video Game Awards the day before the game releases, and someone else is our DLC character (Either Isaac, Rex & Pyra, or maybe Banjo & Kazooie)

Remember this when it's proven right.
The only one of your predictions I'm unsure of is Sora...
Sora only got big again after the creator commented on a Smash related post... That's not really what you call evidence.
Also, No Rhythm Heaven Reps in your DLC predictions makes Me Upset

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The only one of your predictions I'm unsure of is Sora...
Sora only got big again after the creator commented on a Smash related post... That's not really what you call evidence.
That's revisionism. Sora was EXTREMELY big during the Smash 4 ballot.
His fans woke up for Ultimate after Disney said that they would be okay.
Then Vergeben talked about a mystery SE-rep
And Finally after the tweet.

Not because a fanbase doesnt push their Characters in everyone's face that it means that It wasn't big. Just look at the KH community outside of smash and you'll see how massive his support was.

Anyway. I feel like it will be constant back and forth for that mystery square Characters until we get more info.

I just want more leaks. Even fake one to debate.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... when do y'all think we'll get our next reveal?
I'm Thinking that there might be a Trailer Dropping early October Featuring Ken and Incineroar (Like Lucina and Robin in July)

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
TyrantLizardKing TyrantLizardKing

Hey I just want to apologize for the little bit of an outburst regarding Tails and Shadow earlier. The recent discussions in this thread has left me with an epiphany/new perspective regardless what happens in this game.

Expect me to still campaign for Tails come DLC time. But Tails or no Tails. Or Shadow or no Shadow (Don't even care as much if he's an echo or not anymore. That's how much I've changed perspective in less then 24 hours). The possibility Sonic Adventure 2 is represented in the newcomer roster amongst Minecraft, Kingdom Hearts or Dragon Quest, etc. is still so mind numbingly amazing. That I should just chill regarding all this.
Oh thank you, I feel I should have apologized as well since I was making bad arguments due to my bias against Tails as I really just want Shadow. They both do have equal chances though so I'll gladly campaign for them with ya. Thanks for being a good sport about it and I'm sorry I overreacted as well.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Sora happens I feel like it'll be as DLC, in that way they can manage all of the rights difficulties he'd bring with him isolated from the rest of the game's development. I think with how convoluted it'd be to bring him in it'd be too much having to juggle it alongside the rest of the game, which already features an absurd amount of 3rd party content, and with more on the way aswell, I think this is also why we're largely only seeing the same companies involved as before. With two parties involved it might also be easier from a financial standpoint and determining how profits are split, although I'm not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of that.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Just gimme that Isaac screenshot already. It’s gotta be out there somewhere...

...right?
I'm in the same boat with Skull Kid.

Too many fake image leaks for my boi, yet no actual credible leaker has mentioned him *feelsbadman*
My boats sinking given recent events, so a screenshot would certainly be a relief right now. Though, I guess in terms of fake screenshots, I still have sausage fingered Banjo (though I can no longer find it for the lolz).

bigblast181

Smash Rookie
NNID
bigblast181
3DS FC
1934-1420-5506
Switch FC
SW 8295 7726 8006
So... when do y'all think we'll get our next reveal?
I'm Thinking that there might be a Trailer Dropping early October Featuring Ken and Incineroar (Like Lucina and Robin in July)
I think it depends on the amount of things to reveal. If there are only a maximum of 4 or less characters to reveal then I'd say that there probably be a smash direct in early to mid November. If there is something like 8 characters left there would be two slightly smaller but still beefy directs.
Things to go over before games release:
  1. Green Menu Option (assumed to be Spirits)
  2. Games and More/Vault (Trophies, Side content, etc.)
  3. The other blurred menu option on the side bar
  4. Online
  5. New Items/Pokemon/Assist Trophies
  6. New Characters (Trailers, Movesets, etc.)
If you have ideas of what more they could talk about do share.
Somebody pointed out that the sooner to the release of the game the more people will know Smash info. Nintendo wants to get all the characters announced before release. So likely we will get the info closer to a month before release rather than a week before release.
So when and how many directs they have is entirely dependent on how much info the will reveal.
Though this is all speculation.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Putting Donald and/or Goofy into Smash, in any form, is a Bridge too far. You want Sora? Fine. No problem. But 70 plus year old characters? No way.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think we're only having 1 more direct, in Mid October, it'll start with Ken/Incineroar fighting in either Ultra Space or the Battle Royale area from S/M.
From then it'll explain Ken/Incineroar and the remaining 5 stages, and the unrevealed ATs and items (they mentioned more than 40 but we haven't seen all of them yet). From that point on they'll talk about online stuff and the spirits mode. They'll close on a bombshell announcement... for a testsmash in November.

With only 2 months left until the game drops I can't see 2 more major directs personally, but I can see another 50 fact extravaganza ending with DLC announcement like last time. (Bowser Jr. was revealed during that but the game was already out at that point so whatever.)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Between June and August we had 7 characters revealed, so unless reveals drop considerably as some have suggested, we may have 6-7 characters between September and November, one being Isabelle, who's already been revealed. This also aligns with the blog, at an average of 3 characters a week with 26 weeks, that's 7-8 characters that have yet to be revealed of the potential 78, though it should be noted this is probably a maximum--not a minimum. Judging by that, I could see a Pokemon being revealed either in or around a potential Pokemon Direct in October, as well as a standalone character reveal with potentially an echo (my guess is Isaac/Felix). That leaves around 3-4 being revealed in a November Smash Direct, including echoes. So it's not as crazy as some people think, but there's no denying it's an optimistic view. Cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
With the inevitable storm of DLC coming I hope there's a season pass for this game as recent Nintendo titles have been doing like FE Warriors and Xenoblade 2.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
Putting Donald and/or Goofy into Smash, in any form, is a Bridge too far. You want Sora? Fine. No problem. But 70 plus year old characters? No way.
i think the problem with Sora is that he himself comes from a crossover game, so he'd have to bring the Disney characters from the crossover with him, which would be a packaged deal, giving Disney more control over Smash and possibly limiting Sakurais creative freedom for other characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom