• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So I've diddled around with Online a bit more, and at this point, you're honestly better off playing another game. ****ing Mario + Rabbids will give you a more enjoyable experience. The input delay combined with terrible netcode makes the game unbearable to play.

Again, we're paying $20 for this.

Oh, and that supposed SNES Online games list? Yeah, pretty much the same sentiments as Smash's Online.

View attachment 186842
A list that has Yoshi's Island in it is the opposite of lame :yoshi:

NineS

Smash Lord
So I've diddled around with Online a bit more, and at this point, you're honestly better off playing another game. ****ing Mario + Rabbids will give you a more enjoyable experience. The input delay combined with terrible netcode makes the game unbearable to play.

Oh, and that supposed SNES Online games list? Yeah, pretty much the same sentiments as Smash's Online.

View attachment 186842
I feel ashamed for feeling like the online is pretty good. Nothing bad, nothing all that revolutionary. Just glaringly average.

Unless we're talking about the service as a whole, that could use some improvements. But I'm not gonna complain, it's a mobile console and only 20 bucks a year.

Of course, I know a lot of people hate that kind of thinking for whatever reason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

hey man super punch out aint that bad
Super Punch-Out!! is a legitimate classic and is very underrated, I'll give you that.

However when you miss practically every RPG except Breath of Fire 2 and the DKC trilogy, you lose me.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Super Punch-Out!! is a legitimate classic and is very underrated, I'll give you that.

However when you miss practically every RPG except Breath of Fire 2 and the DKC trilogy, you lose me.
They gotta sell the SNES Classic somehow.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I dunno, I think February is gonna be reserved for Pokemon.
For some reason Im thinking March for pokemon.

View attachment 186842
Tmk Mario and Rabbids is generally considered pretty good so not sure what point bringing it up means in this instance.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

View attachment 186842
I really don’t get the problem with online now. Like, I know it sucked on launch but matchmaking has rarely been a problem for me. 85%-90% of the time I get stock with no items or hazsards like I want.

Everyone once in a while I’ll get a laggy game but it’s the exception not the norm.

The price is stupid though but that’s how everything works now. Nintendo should have had it ready on launch to avoid the backlash

D

Deleted member

They gotta sell the SNES Classic somehow.
Okay.

But they're also re-releasing Star Fox 2, so I guess there goes all that "SNES Classic" pizzazz, huh?

I feel ashamed for feeling like the online is pretty good. Nothing bad, nothing all that revolutionary. Just glaringly average.

Unless we're talking about the service as a whole, that could use some improvements. But I'm not gonna complain, it's a mobile console and only 20 bucks a year.

Of course, I know a lot of people hate that kind of thinking for whatever reason.
It's the fact that we are now at the THIRD Smash game that has online, in the year 2019, and again, paying $20 and I can't play with smooth inputs and flow that upsets me.

At this point, we'll get Mother 3 before Smash has DECENT online.

A list that has Yoshi's Island in it is the opposite of lame :yoshi:
A list that has doesn't have EarthBound in it is also the opposite of not-lame. :drflip:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 186842
Don't really care about the actual point here, but I will not stand for badmouthing Mario + Rabbids. That game is fantastic

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Now what would REALLY make the SNES list great is if Nintendo for some reason decided to translate the Fire Emblem 3-5 and plop 'em on there. :p
Though given that they couldn't even do that for Joy Mech Fight...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really don’t get the problem with online now. Like, I know it sucked on launch but matchmaking has rarely been a problem for me. 85%-90% of the time I get stock with no items or hazsards like I want.

Everyone once in a while I’ll get a laggy game but it’s the exception not the norm.

The price is stupid though but that’s how everything works now. Nintendo should have had it ready on launch to avoid the backlash
That's precisely it. Not being as bad as it was on launch doesn't make it good or even average.
The online is absolute garbage when 85 to 90% of your matches are absolutely awful

A typical online in the 2000's has
a consistent ruleset
shows you your opponent's name
shows you your opponent's connection
an understandable ranking system
an unranked ranking system
and not to mention was free.

Nowadays, the average fighting game has connection filters, skill filters, rage-quitting tags, allows you to accept or decline a match and whatever else I've forgotten to mention.

The fact that Smash's paid online is as bad as it is in the first place is pretty damn awful in the year 2019, moreso because thei other games, Splatoon and Mario Tennis Aces already have that down pat. But ****, I guess I can play an emulated Metroid so I guess that makes it all worth it.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Now what would REALLY make the SNES list great is if Nintendo for some reason decided to translate the Fire Emblem 3-5 and plop 'em on there. :p
Though given that they couldn't even do that for Joy Mech Fight...
Then how will they sell more echoes games?

D

Deleted member

That SNES list is good, but it needs the DKC Trilogy and Earthbound to be great.
Here, I'll 1-up ya and do you a solid list of what's missing.
  • Donkey Kong Country Trilogy (Original / 2: Diddy's Kong Quest / 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!)
  • EarthBound
  • Secret of Mana (at least that game, I know there's Secret of Mana Collection. Maybe being SD3 over?)
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Mega Man X (at least this game, I know there's Mega Man X Legacy Collection)
  • Chrono Trigger (QUIT ****ING JIPPING THIS SERIES, SQUARE)
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • SimCity
  • ActRaiser
  • Shadowrun
  • Mortal Kombat 2
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (for Japanese SNES Online)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I don’t love the online, truly
I wish there was a different ranking, I wish you could switch characters between matches, and I wish I always got to play the rule set I wanted(which I do about 90% of the time, with the other 9% just being different stock or FD)

BUT I do love this game and I really am happy that I can play online against people and have SOMETHING.

Maybe it’s settling, but as long as I can play online vs people in smash I’ll always be happy, even if there is room for 10x improvement

(Corny, tacky, cliche, yes yes...but as long as I can nair my heart away w palutena I’m feeling good)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don’t love the online, truly
I wish there was a different ranking, I wish you could switch characters between matches, and I wish I always got to play the rule set I wanted(which I do about 90% of the time, with the other 9% just being different stock or FD)

BUT I do love this game and I really am happy that I can play online against people and have SOMETHING.

Maybe it’s settling, but as long as I can play online vs people in smash I’ll always be happy, even if there is room for 10x improvement

(Corny, tacky, cliche, yes yes...but as long as I can nair my heart away w palutena I’m feeling good)
Odd, I feel the exact same way about playing against people online.

D

Deleted member

Don't really care about the actual point here, but I will not stand for badmouthing Mario + Rabbids. That game is fantastic
Oh, you have me mistaken, because I actually really enjoy that game. More than I really should have.

How that ****ing game with the ideas makes me hype all the time still shocks me. Also bless Grant Kirkhope. Another ****ing banger OST.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here, I'll 1-up ya and do you a solid list of what's missing.
  • Donkey Kong Country Trilogy (Original / 2: Diddy's Kong Quest / 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!)
  • EarthBound
  • Secret of Mana (at least that game, I know there's Secret of Mana Collection. Maybe being SD3 over?)
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Mega Man X (at least this game, I know there's Mega Man X Legacy Collection)
  • Chrono Trigger (QUIT ****ING JIPPING THIS SERIES, SQUARE)
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • SimCity
  • ActRaiser
  • Shadowrun
  • Mortal Kombat 2
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (for Japanese SNES Online)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Whoa whoa whoa...they don't even have Mystery of the Emblem for the Japanese version?

I was kinda kidding around with calling for a translation (as much as I would love that), but that's actually a HUGE omission. FE3 was absolutely massive in Japan, and is often seen the same way as we see games like the DKC trilogy or Super Metroid. To this day it's still the best selling game in the franchise if you look only at Japan.

For them to leave it out is honestly baffling.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
You know what, here's something I never ****ing see. If your most wanted from an unrepresented franchise gets in, what Spirit battles would you expect to see added? My case is Dante so....
Vergil: Blue Dante with a Killing Edge, increased sword strikes
Trish: Bayonetta with a Death Scythe
Lady: Zero Suit with a Super Scope, neutral B gets buffed alongside her Super Scope.
Sparda: Ganondorf, increased physical attack
Sora
Riku: Silver Hair Shulk, Likes to Block, Dracula's Castle (Hollow Bastion Reference)
Kairi: School Girl Inkling, assisted by Limit Form Sora, Silver Hair Shulk, Destiny Islands (locked in original form)
Xehanort: White Hair Ganondorf, Random Assist Trophy: Nightmare, Destiny Islands (locked in Final Arena form (if my stage concept happened)
Roxas: Final Form Sora, Killing Edge. Umbra Clocktower (Twilight Town Reference)
Xion: Anti-Sora, Assisted by Final Form Sora (Roxas), Umbra Clocktower (Twilight Town Reference)
Aqua: Blue Zelda, Killing Edge, Stronger Magic Attacks, Omega Kalos Pokémon League (Land of Departure Reference)
Terra: Redhead Simon, Killing Edge, Sudden Earthquake, Omega Find Mii (Terra's Final Boss Arena Reference)
Ven: Final Form Sora, High Winds, Final Destination (Ven Final Battle Arena Reference)

2B
9S: Grayscale Mewtwo (Hacking = Psychic), Killing Edge, Flat Zone X (Hacking Area Reference)
A2: Purple Lucina, Killing Edge, Mushroomy Kingdom (Desert Area Reference)
Emil: Black Pac-Man, Sudden Assist Trophy: Moon, Distant Planet (Forest Kingdom Reference)
Pascal: Green ROB, Sudden TF: Giant, Distant Planet (Forest Village Reference)
Commander White: White ZS Samus, Killing Edge, Lylat Cruise (Bunker Reference)
Operator 91O: Black ZS Samus, Arena Ferox (Battle Area Resemblance)
Popula & Devola: Pink Robin, Assisted by Pink Corrin,
Adam & Eve: Blue Corrin, Assisted by Blue Robin. Wii Fit Studio (Reference to Copied City)

LetterO

Smash Lord
As much as I like taking a crap on the Online, I actually very rarely get very bad rulesets or really terrible lag.

Also Super Metroid is amazing. That alone makes the SNES lineup great.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sora
Riku: Silver Hair Shulk, Likes to Block, Dracula's Castle (Hollow Bastion Reference)
Kairi: School Girl Inkling, assisted by Limit Form Sora, Silver Hair Shulk, Destiny Islands (locked in original form)
Xehanort: White Hair Ganondorf, Random Assist Trophy: Nightmare, Destiny Islands (locked in Final Arena form (if my stage concept happened)
Roxas: Final Form Sora, Killing Edge. Umbra Clocktower (Twilight Town Reference)
Xion: Anti-Sora, Assisted by Final Form Sora (Roxas), Umbra Clocktower (Twilight Town Reference)
Aqua: Blue Zelda, Killing Edge, Stronger Magic Attacks, Omega Kalos Pokémon League (Land of Departure Reference)
Terra: Redhead Simon, Killing Edge, Sudden Earthquake, Omega Find Mii (Terra's Final Boss Arena Reference)
Ven: Final Form Sora, High Winds, Final Destination (Ven Final Battle Arena Reference)

2B
9S: Grayscale Mewtwo (Hacking = Psychic), Killing Edge, Flat Zone X (Hacking Area Reference)
A2: Purple Lucina, Killing Edge, Mushroomy Kingdom (Desert Area Reference)
Emil: Black Pac-Man, Sudden Assist Trophy: Moon, Distant Planet (Forest Kingdom Reference)
Pascal: Green ROB, Sudden TF: Giant, Distant Planet (Forest Village Reference)
Commander White: White ZS Samus, Killing Edge, Lylat Cruise (Bunker Reference)
Operator 91O: Black ZS Samus, Arena Ferox (Battle Area Resemblance)
Popula & Devola: Pink Robin, Assisted by Pink Corrin,
Adam & Eve: Blue Corrin, Assisted by Blue Robin. Wii Fit Studio (Reference to Copied City)
I'm not seeing a Goofy spirit battle, bucko.
DCIEbVCV0AAzcsL.jpg

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'd just like to know if the SNES games are launching together of if they'll be slowly rolled out over this year.

I could talk about the lineup but for every X game that isn't there, Y game is. Plus there's always the fact that this list should grow over time.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Eh, I’m just happy there’s a prospect of SNES games at all. Those are games that are actually enjoyable, playing NES games in this era is really only for nostalgia for those who had an NES in the 80’s and a novelty for those born after. I expect they’ll update the initial list with Earthbound, DKC, *cough*Kaga games, the peak era of Fire Emblem*cough*, etc. within a few months simply due to their own merit and overwhelming demand.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
As much as I like taking a crap on the Online, I actually very rarely get very bad rulesets or really terrible lag.

Also Super Metroid is amazing. That alone makes the SNES lineup great.
I do not get bad rule sets either since I do not touch Quickplay. Arenas only.

Baffled that anyone would do quickplay. Host an arena and you have complete control on rulesets and who gets to stay or not with the kick feature. Limit it to two and you will get a match going.

D

Deleted member

I'd just like to know if the SNES games are launching together of if they'll be slowly rolled out over this year.

I could talk about the lineup but for every X game that isn't there, Y game is. Plus there's always the fact that this list should grow over time.
We saw games like Metroid and TwinBee during the NES Online reveal. We got Metroid in ****ing November.

Don't expect all 22 games to come out at once, and don't be surprised if that's all we're getting, given the track record we've been getting.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
We saw games like Metroid and TwinBee during the NES Online reveal. We got Metroid in ****ing November.

Don't expect all 22 games to come out at once, and don't be surprised if that's all we're getting, given the track record we've been getting.
I'd be content if we even got half of the games at launch.
I could live with us getting those games over the course of 2019 at the rate we get the NES games.
I'd be annoyed if that was the complete list for the entirety of the Switch's lifespan.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Why you gotta be such a pessimist bro

what did sakurai do to you
did the current president of nintendo whos name i dont even remember sneak in your bed, put warm water on your hand, and made you wet the bed or smth

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Also there was sign of there being a third emulator in there but who knows how long it'll be until that's implemented, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom