• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NessIsAChad

Banned via Warnings
How the **** is the composer, whose greedy ownership is separate from Square, making them stingy when they themselves aren't in the equation for music?

Perhaps you dove too deep into the le square greed xD meme
How’s it a meme when they can’t even spare 2D artwork for the spirits? Stop defending them for literally no reason. When every other third party including Konami who don’t even care about making video games anymore or the Metal Gear and Castlevania IPs are being more lenient than you then you’re the problem.

You’re a moron. Sugiyama didn’t make FF music yet there’s only two FF songs in the game, zero FF spirits, zero bosses, zero assists and zero Mii outfits. How is it not Square’s fault?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So from my understanding the Xeno series encompasses:
Xenogears (ps1)
Xenosaga 1-3 (ps2)
Xenoblade 1,2, X (Wii U/Switch)

From what I know, its the same writer, but he never got explicit permission to ever confirm theyre all the same universe.
There's some thematic links. Some Xenosaga characters appear in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but that's the closest there is to a direct link.

Oh and this yellow thing thats name escapes me.
IfIHadADollarForEveryBrokenImage.jpg

Last edited:

NessIsAChad

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post; trolling
This site is so awful man. You guys just come up with some random hive mind for some character you think is getting in and get upset at people who try to bring you back to reality to the point you’ll pretend Square isn’t being ridiculously stingy and greedy with their Smash content

Remember when Isaac was all but confirmed to you guys? Remember when the Ken leak was supposedly fake? Remember when “le grinch has too much evidence to be fake. xD didn’t think we’d be talking about le grinch on a Smash Bros site xD rofl”

Noipoi

Howdy!
This site is so awful man. You guys just come up with some random hive mind for some character you think is getting in and get upset at people who try to bring you back to reality to the point you’ll pretend Square isn’t being ridiculously stingy and greedy with their Smash content

Remember when Isaac was all but confirmed to you guys? Remember when the Ken leak was supposedly fake? Remember when “le grinch has too much evidence to be fake. xD didn’t think we’d be talking about le grinch on a Smash Bros site xD rofl”
Uh...What?
Where'd this come from?

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
How’s it a meme when they can’t even spare 2D artwork for the spirits? Stop defending them for literally no reason. When every other third party including Konami who don’t even care about making video games anymore or the Metal Gear and Castlevania IPs are being more lenient than you then you’re the problem.

You’re a moron. Sugiyama didn’t make FF music yet there’s only two FF songs in the game, zero FF spirits, zero bosses, zero assists and zero Mii outfits. How is it not Square’s fault?
I dont want to validate anger posts but this is a solid statement. Rayman, Shantae, and Geno all got spirits, yet Cecil, Tifa, and Terra get nothing? It is a little ridiculous.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

No I don't remember when the Ken leak was fake.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I dont want to validate anger posts but this is a solid statement. Rayman, Shantae, and Geno all got spirits, yet Cecil, Tifa, and Terra get nothing? It is a little ridiculous.
don't forget, cloud didn't even get a "real" fighter spirit, since he just uses his ****in ultimate artwork instead of official art

they couldn't get 10 goddamn images for the game, that's all they would need. square is incredibly stingy, and this pretty much proves it

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
don't forget, cloud didn't even get a "real" fighter spirit, since he just uses his ****in ultimate artwork instead of official art

they couldn't get 10 goddamn images for the game, that's all they would need. square is incredibly stingy, and this pretty much proves it
I don't know why they didn't even use the summons from the Midgar stage as spirits.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
She actually looks kinda interesting. The moveset potential is definitely there.
If the close-ups to her body feel awkward to you, there's her Xenoblade 2 incarnation. She's a lot more reserved there while retaining some aspects from her older games. X-BUSTER in particular is Final-Smash worthy. Here's a comparison between the old and the new (time-stamped):
Bonus version:

You must be new here just based on your post count. Though I agree with you in regards to how tight Square's restrictions are, let's keep our discussions civil here, alright? Arigarmy might be wrong, but he certainly isn't a moron. No one here is. Welcome to the Boards, by the way! Have a pleasant stay and don't be a stranger!

Last edited:

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
SquareEnix has always been a mystery to me. Its like theyre entirely out of touch with all society. Maybe Stormblood is good but ever since FF13 they seem to have had their heads so far up their own *** that they dont know what people want anymore. Add in the departure of their lead developer and the cancellation of the remaining FF15 DLC, and they are a hot mess. Who knows what they do from here.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
There's some thematic links. Some Xenosaga characters appear in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but that's the closest there is to a direct link.

Oh and this yellow thing thats name escapes me.
View attachment 184464
I believe it's called the Zohar. They repurposed it and KOS-MOS' main weapons into laser-firing gatling guns. The Conduit is loosely based on the Zohar, which is the main artifact that ties the Saga and Blade games together, if only thinly.

LetterO

Smash Lord

Nobody denied the Ken leak. We all basically agreed in unison for once in a while over a leak.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Wait if you think this site is so awful then why'd you come here- oh wait I get it.

This has been a public service announcement.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The result of Monolith Soft's background prior to being a Nintendo studio. Starting with Tetsuya Takahashi working with Square giving us Xenogears. Then founding the company under Namco giving us Xenosaga. And now being under Nintendo giving us Xenoblade. Resulting in a 3-way IP rights mess
Xenoblade wasn’t even supposed to be a part of the Xeno trilogy to begin with.

They originally named the game after the Monado, but Nintendo chose the name Xenoblade and that’s what the series is considered now.

Last edited:

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
KOS-MOS was a main character in the Xeno Saga series on PS2, and total waifu bait. The whole Xeno series already has a long history with several titles now, Xeno Blade being the latest. Basically she was a scantily clad android woman at her finest, thus the fanclub.
You forgot about being a creepy scifi horror puppet that eats an enemy armada by firing blue lasers from her stomach. Yeah, the plot got weird.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
Xenoblade wasn’t even supposed to be a part of the Xeno trilogy to begin with.

They originally named the game after the Monado, but Nintendo chose the name Xenoblade and that’s what the series is considered now.
So this is news to me. Do you have cite-able sources? One way or the other I don't know enough to argue.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Last edited:

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
https://www.wired.com/2010/01/the-last-story-wii/
Scroll down a bit.
Was originally called Monado: The Beginning of the World at E3 2009 but was changed to Xenoblade to honour Takahashi.
Fair enough!
All in all, the entirety of the series is on my long list of 'games I want to play' so I am mostly unfamiliar, but I hope it lives on. If Star Ocean can survive 3 bad titles in a row hopefully Xeno can survive some underselling good titles.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So personal thoughts, taking Reggies 'new to smash' to heart:
I Won't Be Shocked
3. Adol from Y's
NIS is getting along with Nintendo, and he has a ton of legacy, even if his series has never been super popular.
Ys isn't NIS. Ys is Falcom. NIS has published some of the Ys games outside of Japan, including the recent Ys VIII, but the Ys series belongs to Falcom and they publish the games themselves in Japan. And the Ys series is definitely popular in Japan.

Not saying that Adol Cristin would be a bad choice. His series is almost as old as Zelda, Metroid, etc. Not to mention the frickin' awesome and beautiful music. Although it's definitely hard to imagine it getting in much like other games that are primarily on Playstation and PC and Adol himself doesn't really stand out from other characters like Link, Roy, etc.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
More fun facts. There was never meant to be any Xeno games. Xenogears was originally pitched as FFVII.
Fair enough!
All in all, the entirety of the series is on my long list of 'games I want to play' so I am mostly unfamiliar, but I hope it lives on. If Star Ocean can survive 3 bad titles in a row hopefully Xeno can survive some underselling good titles.
Xenogears is kind of stuck in Square's "Not FF, DQ or KH" catalogue of RPGs but hey, at least they did some stuff for its anniversary. Xenosaga might at least get a rerelease. KOS-MOS still shows up in crossovers and XC2, so its not like Monlith's departure from Namco is doing much. Xenoblade is doing well, with XC2 becoming the best selling Xeno title and Smash helps give it a bigger presence. Monolith is making a new game, which may not be a Xenoblade or more general Xeno title but unless we're told the series is finished, I could see another one coming.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ys isn't NIS. Ys is Falcom. NIS has published some of the Ys games outside of Japan, including the recent Ys VIII, but the Ys series belongs to Falcom and they publish the games themselves in Japan. And the Ys series is definitely popular in Japan.

Not saying that Adol Cristin would be a bad choice. His series is almost as old as Zelda, Metroid, etc. Not to mention the frickin' awesome and beautiful music. Although it's definitely hard to imagine it getting in much like other games that are primarily on Playstation and PC and Adol himself doesn't really stand out from other characters like Link, Roy, etc.
Adol attacks only by moving towards characters while slightly to the side of them.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Adol attacks only by moving towards characters while slightly to the side of them.
While that would be interesting, isn't that gimmick taken away by the existence of Spirits that give Impact Run?

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice

You are totally right, thats my bad. Did not do my due diligence on that. Side note: Does Falcom do the graphics for most the Y's games? I know they developed 'Trails in the Sky' and they share the same style as some of the earlier Y's, which is the same as Harvest Moon 64. Only ask cause Farmer Jack circa HM 64 is like my dream smash challenger.

I've no idea.

Honestly, I was just joking.
I don't think Ys has a snowball's chance in Hell.
I've long since abandoned the idea that anyone has no chance. Pichu, Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Ice Climbers, Daisy, and Piranha all argue otherwise. Sure, those examples are all Nintendo reps, but the case stands; when it comes to inclusion, the only hurdle is licensing.

Not that I think it's happening, just, crazier things have happened.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Tbf this site is pretty damn awful at times. He ain't wrong
I can't recall a single time I ever got into an argument with anyone here. The most I've done was metaphorically finger-waggle at stuff I didn't agree with, but generally speaking, I think most people are fine here. Maybe there's a pocket area in this forum that I'm not aware of?

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I do remember things got pretty heated around the Grinch leak days, this site is generally fairly calm. Can't say I have a bad time on this site.

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Usually the forums for the current game start out really heated until everything settles down but in general people are usually fine.
Yeah it gets a bit samey but a lot of it just is because there's a lot of people who have similar ideas.

D

Deleted member

For your pleasure, an interview with Sakurai himself all about Persona 5's inclusion in Smash Ultimate.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I've no idea.

Honestly, I was just joking.
I don't think Ys has a snowball's chance in Hell.
I'd love to get Dana from Ys VIII. Her fighting style is elegant as hell, but her chances are basically nill.

I think most of us realize our 'most likely' guesses have like a 10% to get in. All the 50+% guesses people give are more like the chance the character was seriously discussed for inclusion. The people actually deciding who goes in are looking at this from a completely different prospective than we are. We rely too much on trends (like why would over half the characters in DLC come from RPGs like many are guessing?)

We could say the menu for Smash was influenced by Persona 5 so they included it and the bonus game is modeled off Automata so 2-B is definitely in or we could see Persona 5 was buzzword #10 in Japan this year.

Then we talk about bias toward the Japanese market, but when you think about it the American market is dominated by visceral heroes that don't fit the cartoony smash. From that prospective, Joker makes a lot of sense. An anime style that's palatable for their whole audience is their goal, but you can tell just from the board each choice is going to leave someone hanging. Thus we have a ???? fighter pass.

Most of our frustration and disappointment is self made as we dig in for our best bets, but even those are a gamble.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
For your pleasure, an interview with Sakurai himself all about Persona 5's inclusion in Smash Ultimate.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm just now imagining Sakurai walking into various game companies on his Sunday stroll, just casually greeting the staff and mascots like family as he drops off Smash invitations.

D

Deleted member

Here's the thing.

From this interview, they've used the full vocals from songs like Last Surprise and Life Will Change, and not going with instrumentals like usual interviews.

I want to believe, I really do.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wait if you think this site is so awful then why'd you come here- oh wait I get it.

This has been a public service announcement.
I mean they're also not wrong.
Sm4sh's reactions to K. Rool and Ridley not making it, Waluigi, Ashley, Shadow, Geno, Isaac, etc this time, When ROB was announced as the last fighter in Brawl...Corrin...

I remember in Sm4sh when people somehow convinced one another that the stork from Yoshi's Island was a real possible candidate to the point where it was considered reasonable to have Stork on an expected roster.

The genuine **** is wrong with us?

D

Deleted member

Here's this from the recent Smash Ultimate x Persona 5 interview from Atlus.

DvaJtxmXQAAqD0v.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom