• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Don't forget Persona 5 S, Persona 5 M, and Persona 5 B have been registered by Atlus.

The milking... has begun.

osby

Smash Obsessed
life is not worth living unless you make someone watch the room with you
Something something attention deficit something. I literally can't stay until the end of movies if they don't interest me.

Don't forget Persona 5 S, Persona 5 M, and Persona 5 B have been registered by Atlus.

I hope it means people can stop acting like Persona 4 has more spin-offs than Persona 3.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
"There's Aegis and some others in P4 Arena, isn't that good enough?" Atlus probably
Tbh, Ultimax had pretty much everyone except Shinji and Leader.

Though, whatever it takes to make Fuuka playable in a fighting game, I guess.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
"There's Aegis and some others in P4 Arena, isn't that good enough?" Atlus probably
I will not be satisfied until I am fighting as a giant golden door.

persona 5 s AND m?? color me interested
Put em all together and you'll get Persona 5 BDSM.

I guess there had to be a reason Panther was dressed like that.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

You make a success, you gotta capitalize.

Get ready for Persona 5 Kart, Persona 5 Party, Persona 5 Mystery Dungeon, Persona 5 Dance Dance Revolution, and Paper Morgana.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
A person isn't going to put serious thought into why they like a Pokemon most of the time except out of nostalgia or just liking it for how it looks to them immediately, which goes back to being shallow, which is synonymous with being superficial. Designs are more of preferential and superficial factor in the end. Not everyone has the same ideals, standards and tastes regarding what they like from a monster in regards to how it looks.

Arguably, none of that stuff about Starters actually matters even remotely in playing through the story because it's all murdered by the fact that it is entirely possible to solo the game with worse Pokemon like Caterpie due to how easy the game is built. It's only because of this severe lack of difficulty that any monster that isn't even good is going to be able to accomplish the feat, making it a completely unimpressive feat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29VxwtNiGBo

Other monster collectors that AREN'T Pokemon usually have tons of steady difficulty spikes to them that generally make it impossible to pull off anything similar. Try taking on Leonyx from Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 with an unfused Stub Stump.

Even if you're not doing a solo run, the existence of ingame tiers and stronger options in the game can free up space Starters could easily be replaced with. Abra and Archen are top tier on ingame tier lists because they're easy to get pretty early, have super good stats compared to a ton of unevolved mons you get around the time including Starters and can usually power through a ton of stuff with their STABs that end up making them way more useful in the stories.
Okay you lost me at "superficial". At this point I'm not sure if you're deliberately trolling or an actual elitist, but either way telling someone that their like for something is fake or ingenuine does not make you look good. Either way I'll humor this discussion with one last post but don't be surprised if I stop responding after this.

1) A lot of people may not always consciously think about what they like about a Pokemon's design but there is always a reason. If you press most fans of a pokemon for why they like it most of them will find reasons to justify their fondness of its design. Do you think anyone who appreciates pieces of art that lack practicality is shallow for doing so, by the way?

2) I wasn't talking about optimal, I was talking about useful. Abra is a rare encounter that flees on the first turn you encounter it, unlike starters who are free. It's also fast so its difficult to put to sleep. It also doesn't learn any damaging attacks without TMs or evolving, so you have to baby it for a bit. Yes it is intentionally very rewarding to do so, but should the typical player really be expected to? On that note, is it really fair to expect every player to have metgame knowledge? How many people even use single player tier list?

Besides, you exaggerate how easy pokemon is, especially for more casual fans. Most games have decently challenging bits that reward balanced teams, especially if you're like me and like to avoid optional trainer encounters and don't grind. There's no way you're soloing a game with just Caterpie without an absurd amount of grinding.

People like you are what give us competitive players the parter-pooper, no-fun-allowed reputation we have.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
So personal thoughts, taking Reggies 'new to smash' to heart:

Probable
1. FE: 3 Houses Rep
Nintendo called the shots for DLC and it just makes sense that they use Smash as a vessel for sales. I just pray its not a swordy. Plus I doubt Nintendo cares about the 'too many FE reps' discourse. With the release date coming soon, I'd expect reveal to be when PP is released.
2. Banjo-Kazooie
Nintendo knows they're highly requested, they fit right in, and Microsoft has been playing pretty nicely with Nintendo lately, plus the tweet. Makes a lot of sense, more-so if Rare plans on bringing back the series anytime soon.
3. Sylux
Conspicuously absent from spirits despite being relevant in the most recent games, and I've heard he is set up to be an antagonist in Prime 4. Again, his inclusion would be great marketing for the game if that is the case. If he was a trophy in prior smash games (honestly dont know) maybe that changes things, via Reggie, or the comments dont account for those, IDK. Just feels like not including him AT ALL is very weird. I imagine his reveal would coincide with a Prime 4 release date announcement. That game seems to be taking longer than expected, thus the 4th of 5 DLC.
4. Gen 8 Pokemon
By the time the final DLC rolls around Gen 8 should be released, and it only makes sense that one be included in smash. It only makes sense.

I Won't Be Shocked
1. Erdrick
He has legacy and SE needs another rep, and it sadly wont be Geno. Just hate that he's another swordy.
2. KOS-MOS
She's in Xenoblade 2 and has some legacy, and is very popular in some circles online. Plus it would be another Bamco rep.
3. Adol from Y's
NIS is getting along with Nintendo, and he has a ton of legacy, even if his series has never been super popular.

Out Of Left Field
1: Hallow Knight
Aesthetic fits smash, could do some cool things, reasonably popular
2: Randi (Secret Of Mana)
Again, SE needs another rep, and the Mana series has been dormant for awhile. Would love to see a moveset that incorporated most of the weapons, instead of being sword focused
3: Laharl
Again, NIS is a company that isnt represented yet, and Laharl is more or less their icon. Could do a lot with the moveset too.
4. Sephiroth
If you're gonna go in on SE might as well go all in on FF7 right? Considering villains were fairly prominent in ultimate he would help round things out. Plus meteor final smash would be sick.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Atlus have mastered the art of Milking.

The only thing I’m interested is that Persona 5 fighting game.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So personal thoughts, taking Reggies 'new to smash' to heart:

Probable
1. FE: 3 Houses Rep
Nintendo called the shots for DLC and it just makes sense that they use Smash as a vessel for sales. I just pray its not a swordy. Plus I doubt Nintendo cares about the 'too many FE reps' discourse. With the release date coming soon, I'd expect reveal to be when PP is released.
2. Banjo-Kazooie
Nintendo knows they're highly requested, they fit right in, and Microsoft has been playing pretty nicely with Nintendo lately, plus the tweet. Makes a lot of sense, more-so if Rare plans on bringing back the series anytime soon.
3. Sylux
Conspicuously absent from spirits despite being relevant in the most recent games, and I've heard he is set up to be an antagonist in Prime 4. Again, his inclusion would be great marketing for the game if that is the case. If he was a trophy in prior smash games (honestly dont know) maybe that changes things, via Reggie, or the comments dont account for those, IDK. Just feels like not including him AT ALL is very weird. I imagine his reveal would coincide with a Prime 4 release date announcement. That game seems to be taking longer than expected, thus the 4th of 5 DLC.
4. Gen 8 Pokemon
By the time the final DLC rolls around Gen 8 should be released, and it only makes sense that one be included in smash. It only makes sense.

I Won't Be Shocked
1. Erdrick
He has legacy and SE needs another rep, and it sadly wont be Geno. Just hate that he's another swordy.
2. KOS-MOS
She's in Xenoblade 2 and has some legacy, and is very popular in some circles online. Plus it would be another Bamco rep.
3. Adol from Y's
NIS is getting along with Nintendo, and he has a ton of legacy, even if his series has never been super popular.

Out Of Left Field
1: Hallow Knight
Aesthetic fits smash, could do some cool things, reasonably popular
2: Randi (Secret Of Mana)
Again, SE needs another rep, and the Mana series has been dormant for awhile. Would love to see a moveset that incorporated most of the weapons, instead of being sword focused
3: Laharl
Again, NIS is a company that isnt represented yet, and Laharl is more or less their icon. Could do a lot with the moveset too.
4. Sephiroth
If you're gonna go in on SE might as well go all in on 7 right? Considering villains were fairly prominent in ultimate he would help round things out. Plus meteor final smash would be sick.
Who's KOS-MOS? I've seen that name thrown around but I don't know who that is.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
Who's KOS-MOS? I've seen that name thrown around but I don't know who that is.
KOS-MOS was a main character in the Xeno Saga series on PS2, and total waifu bait. The whole Xeno series already has a long history with several titles now, Xeno Blade being the latest. Basically she was a scantily clad android woman at her finest, thus the fanclub.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
KOS-MOS was a main character in the Xeno Saga series on PS2, and total waifu bait. The whole Xeno series already has a long history with several titles now, Xeno Blade being the latest. Basically she was a scantily clad android woman at her finest, thus the fanclub.
Xenosaga and Xenoblade are related?

Well, looking at the names it makes sense...

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
KOS-MOS was a main character in the Xeno Saga series on PS2, and total waifu bait. The whole Xeno series already has a long history with several series now, Xeno Blade being the latest. Basically she was a scantily clad android woman at her finest, thus the fanclub.
That's a shallow way of putting it. I quite like KOS-MOS for... everything about her, really. No one I know that supports her in Smash is doing it because she's sexy. Let's not give Noipoi the wrong impression.

Noipoi Noipoi
I don't remember if Dinah's support thread has this, but here's a bite-sized look at KOS-MOS's arsenal. To summarize what her playstyle is like, she's essentially an all-in-one fighter, so she wouldn't feel like a rehash of any swordfighter, or brawler, or zoner:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

The result of Monolith Soft's background prior to being a Nintendo studio. Starting with Tetsuya Takahashi working with Square giving us Xenogears. Then founding the company under Namco giving us Xenosaga. And now being under Nintendo giving us Xenoblade. Resulting in a 3-way IP rights mess

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice

So from my understanding the Xeno series encompasses:
Xenogears (ps1)
Xenosaga 1-3 (ps2)
Xenoblade 1,2, X (Wii U/Switch)

From what I know, its the same writer, but he never got explicit permission to ever confirm theyre all the same universe.

Noipoi

Howdy!
That's a shallow way of putting it. I quite like KOS-MOS for... everything about her, really. No one I know that supports her in Smash is doing it because she's sexy. Let's not give Noipoi the wrong impression.

Noipoi Noipoi
I don't remember if Dinah's support thread has this, but here's a bite-sized look at KOS-MOS's arsenal. To summarize what her playstyle is like, she's essentially an all-in-one fighter, so she wouldn't feel like a rehash of any swordfighter, or brawler, or zoner:
She actually looks kinda interesting. The moveset potential is definitely there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom