• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I remember in Sm4sh when people somehow convinced one another that the stork from Yoshi's Island was a real possible candidate to the point where it was considered reasonable to have Stork on an expected roster.
...This was a real thing, wasn't it?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
...This was a real thing, wasn't it?
Sadly, yes it was. I've been around a long time. I remember a lot of the stupid **** that went down that we'd rather all forget.

This site is great for discussion and sharing love of characters, but there's a lot of echo chambering that goes on which leads to, at the extreme, Stork situations.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
So the next "unexpected" character to join would be Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh.
Be prepared..

Edit: Oh wait, he started in manga.. scratch that idea then

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I remember in Sm4sh when people somehow convinced one another that the stork from Yoshi's Island was a real possible candidate to the point where it was considered reasonable to have Stork on an expected roster.
I'd like to know the climate around that, cause even I wouldn't think that...

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sadly, yes it was. I've been around a long time. I remember a lot of the stupid **** that went down that we'd rather all forget.

This site is great for discussion and sharing love of characters, but there's a lot of echo chambering that goes on which leads to, at the extreme, Stork situations.
But...why?

Why The Stork from Yoshi's Island of all characters? He's a plot device! He doesn't do anything anyway! Even among Yoshi's Island characters, why him?

It's so random.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But...why?

Why The Stork from Yoshi's Island of all characters? He's a plot device! He doesn't do anything anyway! Even among Yoshi's Island characters, why him?

It's so random.
"But Sakurai is such a troll!"

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I can't recall a single time I ever got into an argument with anyone here. The most I've done was metaphorically finger-waggle at stuff I didn't agree with, but generally speaking, I think most people are fine here. Maybe there's a pocket area in this forum that I'm not aware of?
Were you here for the worst of the Theory Wars and the Grinch hoax?

Myself and others who played Devil's Advocate for Box Theory and against the Grinch hoax were derided, insulted, and dismissed for the most part. I had at least 10 people on my ignore list because they insulted me in one way or another, and I remember a specific instance where someone mocked my maturity because I was against the Grinch hoax, citing my "Leaks" Archive/Count project because apparently it's not mature to log data for the fanbase. All for saying that Box Theory could be real or the Grinch hoax could be fake, and that people should temper their expectations.

This fanbase is far from perfect, and while the original user was obviously baiting, they aren't necessarily wrong.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I remember in Sm4sh when people somehow convinced one another that the stork from Yoshi's Island was a real possible candidate to the point where it was considered reasonable to have Stork on an expected roster
I had to look up what that even was. Truly the wildest idea I even seen.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Was this early Sm4sh speculation? Because I don't remember anything of the sort occurring. Then again, I was a user of GameFAQs until around Summer 2013, when I moved here, so I wouldn't have seen anything before then.

At the very least, Stork never appeared on any of my Sm4sh roster predictions (which I can provide if ya'll want to see).

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Was this early Sm4sh speculation? Because I don't remember anything of the sort occurring. Then again, I was a user of GameFAQs until around Summer 2013, when I moved here, so I wouldn't have seen anything before then.

At the very least, Stork never appeared on any of my Sm4sh roster predictions (which I can provide if ya'll want to see).
If I recall right(and correct me fellow veterans if not) it was somewhere around the Greninja reveal the idea took off.

The general gist for those who are curious was Stork would carry his baby bag and you'd cycle through the kids Pokémon Trainer style.

Stork was essentially a work around to avoid violence against babies so the bird would take the hits.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Deliver it to me.

I wanna see 2014 Tehpony's predictions.

Last edited:
Finally got my hands on Ultimate today (i was patiently waiting for Boxing Day)

I'm still unlocking characters right now but i already have some brand new favorite things in my life:

-Ridley's F-Smash (ouch)
-Edgeguarding with a Belmont (this is just dumb... i feel satisfied and guilty at the same time)
-Burying opponents with K. Rool's down throw (lol)
-Killing with only 2-3 hits from Ganondorf's sword (*triforce of power intensifies*)
-Switching Pokemon off stage to recover with Charizard (because why not?)
-Snake's Nikita (it's so freaking fast and surprisingly strong compare to Brawl, i think i'm in love)
-Having many kill options with Zelda (finally)
-Link's new bomb (of course)

Appart from that, everything else feels and looks great so far. The only tiny downside for me is that Samus doesn't seem to be better in this game (if not worse? considering almost every other returning character got better...? idk) and since its a character i've always liked to play i'm a tad disappointed but it's still early for me to say and it's not that big of a deal anyway.

The hype is likely to keep me up all night and beyond send help.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Finally got my hands on Ultimate today (i was patiently waiting for Boxing Day)

I'm still unlocking characters right now but i already have some brand new favorite things in my life:

-Ridley's F-Smash (ouch)
-Edgeguarding with a Belmont (this is just dumb... i feel satisfied and guilty at the same time)
-Burying opponents with K. Rool's down throw (lol)
-Killing with only 2-3 hits from Ganondorf's sword (*triforce of power intensifies*)
-Switching Pokemon off stage to recover with Charizard (because why not?)
-Snake's Nikita (it's so freaking fast and surprisingly strong compare to Brawl, i think i'm in love)
-Having many kill options with Zelda (finally)
-Link's new bomb (of course)

Appart from that, everything else feels and looks great so far. The only tiny downside for me is that Samus doesn't seem to be better in this game (if not worse? considering almost every other returning character got better...? idk) and since its a character i've always liked to play i'm a tad disappointed but it's still early for me to say and it's not that big of a deal anyway.

The hype is likely to keep me up all night and beyond send help.
Welcome to the fray, brother.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Tbf this site is pretty damn awful at times. He ain't wrong
I mean they're also not wrong.
Sm4sh's reactions to K. Rool and Ridley not making it, Waluigi, Ashley, Shadow, Geno, Isaac, etc this time, When ROB was announced as the last fighter in Brawl...Corrin...

The genuine **** is wrong with us?
You know what? I won't lie. The Grinch hoax era, as short as it was, was horrendous. I was still grumpy with the website and fanbase as a whole afterwards almost all the way up to release (I still kind of am, admittedly). Let's not rewrite history as to where this entire forum refused to believe the Ken leak. Even in the Grinch hoax era I remember a lot of people staying neutral on it.

I suppose I saw their small post count and thought "oh, they're clearly just here to look for a fight" without considering that they may have been a lurker here for a while. That doesn't explain the discrepancy with the Ken leak though...eh, I suppose I've just been a little paranoid about trolls ever since the influxes of them we received after the Grinch hoax and November direct.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
*crickets*

............................so how 'bout that Poochy :yoshi:
Poochy is neat. I don't think he has any chance (though who knows after Joker), but if he gets in, he'll have my approval and "awww, who's the good boy?".

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie..I don't remember the Stork from Yoshi's Island being seen as a likely candidate..I remember Bayonetta being 'absolutely in base roster' along with Chrom and Chorus Kids because of the Gematsu Leak, some said Heihachi too before Pac-Man was announced..but I don't recall the Stork.

Granted, there were a LOT of 'absolutely, positively gonna be in' for that game, especially when everyone 'knew' they knew the results of the Ballot, crying to the heavens that Shovel Knight was absolutely going to be a DLC Fighter, no question based solely on Fan Polls that only took into account the Minority of Smash Fans that would actually take the time to do a poll in the first placed..which was a small fraction of the people that would the time to do the Ballot in the first place..and even then, only for one language usually..making the percentage even smaller..

*crickets*

............................so how 'bout that Poochy :yoshi:
Poochy is neat. I don't think he has any chance (though who knows after Joker), but if he gets in, he'll have my approval and "awww, who's the good boy?".
I don't want Poochy....I don't want to hit the greatest boy..
Now Shy Gal Shy Guy on the other hand..my favorite enemy from the Mario & Yoshi series would be perfect now that we have mooks as a possibility, it could have a Snifit blaster, Peach's veggie Down Special, the helicoptor thing from Yoshi's Story for an Up Special, a Spear for some attacks...and I really want a Final Smash which just has a shot from behind scene of Shy Guy taking off its mask to a terrified foe..
For a Yoshi's Island reference, have it pop out of a bush of yellow flowers like some hid in in that game for its entrance.
And, of course, make it a Yoshi Rep considering they appear more often in Yoshi games then mainline Mario games at this point.
If I could pick Yoshi Reps, it would definitely be Yoshi, Kamek, and Shy Guy.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Were you here for the worst of the Theory Wars and the Grinch hoax?

Myself and others who played Devil's Advocate for Box Theory and against the Grinch hoax were derided, insulted, and dismissed for the most part. I had at least 10 people on my ignore list because they insulted me in one way or another, and I remember a specific instance where someone mocked my maturity because I was against the Grinch hoax, citing my "Leaks" Archive/Count project because apparently it's not mature to log data for the fanbase. All for saying that Box Theory could be real or the Grinch hoax could be fake, and that people should temper their expectations.

This fanbase is far from perfect, and while the original user was obviously baiting, they aren't necessarily wrong.
I haven't been in the war here, and I have poked fun at the whole ordeal behind the Grinch Leak. I was firmly on Team Fence, being cautiously optimistic, but also recognizing that any leak can be an elaborate troll. Gamefaqs was a total dumpster fire when it was going on though. Needless to say, all of the memes associated with it went to waste. Oh well.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you guys got a bunch of new members solely to wage some petty war?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I still dunno why Sakurai didn’t atleast go with Shy Guy if he wanted a basic Mario enemy playable.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If I recall right(and correct me fellow veterans if not) it was somewhere around the Greninja reveal the idea took off.

The general gist for those who are curious was Stork would carry his baby bag and you'd cycle through the kids Pokémon Trainer style.

Stork was essentially a work around to avoid violence against babies so the bird would take the hits.
I don't recall the idea becoming very popular.

At most it was people going, "huh, that could work I suppose."

Yoshi not getting anyone was the popular and most held opinion.

If you didn't think that you most likely rooted for Kamek.

If you want a crazy opinion that went on for a while, let's talk about "Mr. Hanafuda."

That was a riot.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I still dunno why Sakurai didn’t atleast go with Shy Guy if he wanted a basic Mario enemy playable.
I have my own justifications for Piranha Plant. It forms a duality of sorts with Yoshi. Reposting reasons:
-One is an animal with human-like intelligence, while the other is a plant with violent impulses. You've got Fauna & Flora here.

-One is an animal with recognizable features that makes them feel humanized, while the other is a plant with unconventional means of emoting.

-One is portrayed as a friendly and mostly-harmless creature with a goofy nose, while the other is menacing and has a mouth for a head with killer teeth.

-One moves around like a person, while the other is mostly stationary, with unconventional means of locomotion when forced to get by.

-Both are gluttonous and their methods of chowing down on prey differs slightly. Yoshi reels in food while Piranha Plant moves toward its food.

-Both sport white, red, green, and brown in their color schemes, funnily enough.

-Both weaponize round objects that they're able to toss at their foes, and their objects travel in arcs.

-Both of them are minions, with one being a companion (a heroic mook if you will), and the other being an obstacle/enemy.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Moveset potential? Like Piranha Plant is more expressive and can do more stuff with his body.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Because Piranha Plant was unconventional.

Look at the interviews. Sakurai values the occasional weird character. A character who fights without limbs stands out. Remember, Sakurai equated him to R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch. Fighters that can work but you don't expect.

Shy Guy wasn't chosen because he makes sense.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Moveset potential? Like Piranha Plant is more expressive and can do more stuff with his body.
Piranha Plant takes a lot of moves from various subspecies. Shy Guys have the most subspecies of any generic Mario enemy, so you've got a lot of material to draw from when creating a moveset taking a similar approach. I think Piranha Plant just had the bonus of being more unconventional (it is a plant after all).

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Because Piranha Plant was unconventional.

Look at the interviews. Sakurai values the occasional weird character. A character who fights without limbs stands out. Remember, Sakurai equated him to R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch. Fighters that can work but you don't expect.

Shy Guy wasn't chosen because he makes sense.
I mean...Piranha Plant has little tiny feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom