• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My sister has a male one, and she was trying to get a female...
I'm fairly certain all starters have an overwhelming male gender ratio, probably having to do with making it a rare occurrence to be able to breed more before you get a ditto or something. At least that's how I rationalized it when I was a kid lol

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm fairly certain all starters have an overwhelming male gender ratio, probably having to do with making it a rare occurrence to be able to breed more before you get a ditto or something. At least that's how I rationalized it when I was a kid lol
True, and she spent nearly an hour trying to find what she was looking for, before she gave up.

The 87.5% male, 12.5% female rule never fails.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
where the **** you get that from
That thing about Reggie talking about unexpected characters new to the series and stuff.

I'm not completely sold, but I would like to see what is the popular opinion.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
That thing about Reggie talking about unexpected characters new to the series and stuff.

he said "characters new to smash", which is also the exact same phrasing he used when talking about waluigi in a recent interview

unless waluigi is third party, he probably just tried to come up with a more exciting way of saying newcomers

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
because we don't want to get our hopes up too much i guess lol
that is exactly getting your hopes up because most of the most wanted right now are third parties

At least one, that's a big brain conclusion.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
that is exactly getting your hopes up because most of the most wanted right now are third parties
well i don't want a lot of third parties that aren't rayman, jibanyan, or banjo so i think its safe to say that i should keep my expectations low

Troykv

Smash Master
he said "characters new to smash", which is also the exact same phrasing he used when talking about waluigi in a recent interview

unless waluigi is third party, he probably just tried to come up with a more exciting way of saying newcomers
I see; I said that mostly because pretty much all the Popular First Party choices are Spirits unless we count people like... Edelgard.

At least one, that's a big brain conclusion.
I'm not sure how to take this; but I definitely expect at least One Additional Third Party.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I see; I said that mostly because pretty much all the First Party choices are Spirits unless we count people like... Edelgard.

I'm not sure how to take this; but I definitely expect at least One Additional Third Party.
Sylux and Porky aren’t spirits so they have a chance!

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i still think we're only going to get one first party character if we're lucky

otherwise its going to be third party trash (unless its characters i like then its cool)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The latest Famitsu Column where Sakurai mentioned that Joker barely started development and it was Nintendo's decision to reveal him there.

https://nintendowire.com/news/2018/...sues-and-getting-some-rest-in-famitsu-column/
This is interesting...

So if Joker wasn't originally intended to be the first announced, who was? Considering the timelines, we know that PP is pretty far along, so the modellers would probably have started someone by that point, perhaps even have some animations done. But if they have literally nothing on Joker, that means he wasn't supposed to be revealed at that point. I guess they'll table the character they'd started so they can get him first?

Also they recorded his lines already, so that's one of the first things they do. I guess Xander's already recorded the names for all five...the question is whether they've planned the movesets for all of them so that Makiko Omoto (Kirby's VA) can do the rest of her lines for their hats...

So, theories? Was Vergy actually right and they were gonna start with the Squeenix rep, but decided to rush Joker instead? I know a lot of people were talking about Erdrick and Dragon Quest coming with music that has some baggage attached. Or were they gonna announce someone like Sora, but then decided to delay it to match a release later? Or were there external factors that decided that someone wasn't a good choice? Best timeline: they held off on a Dovahkiin announcement since Bethesda's in hot water with Fallout 76, so they're letting that cool off to announce him...

I still really hope that we'll get more DLC beyond these five and the inevitable Mii costumes. There are so many options Tails for simple echoes Tails that they could just throw in Tails and people would pay for them Tails . Not to mention a second fighter pack could do amazingly.

And speaking of Mii costumes, when are we gonna hear about those? It'd be great to get fighter DLC costumes, but we are basically guaranteed to get new Mii costumes coming by eventually. We got the first set for 4 the same day Mewtwo was available for sale, so I'd expect that mid January we'll be getting our potted plant and a batch of Mii outfits...

Untouch

Smash Master
This is interesting...

So if Joker wasn't originally intended to be the first announced, who was? Considering the timelines, we know that PP is pretty far along, so the modellers would probably have started someone by that point, perhaps even have some animations done. But if they have literally nothing on Joker, that means he wasn't supposed to be revealed at that point. I guess they'll table the character they'd started so they can get him first?

Also they recorded his lines already, so that's one of the first things they do. I guess Xander's already recorded the names for all five...the question is whether they've planned the movesets for all of them so that Makiko Omoto (Kirby's VA) can do the rest of her lines for their hats...

So, theories? Was Vergy actually right and they were gonna start with the Squeenix rep, but decided to rush Joker instead? I know a lot of people were talking about Erdrick and Dragon Quest coming with music that has some baggage attached. Or were they gonna announce someone like Sora, but then decided to delay it to match a release later? Or were there external factors that decided that someone wasn't a good choice? Best timeline: they held off on a Dovahkiin announcement since Bethesda's in hot water with Fallout 76, so they're letting that cool off to announce him...

I still really hope that we'll get more DLC beyond these five and the inevitable Mii costumes. There are so many options Tails for simple echoes Tails that they could just throw in Tails and people would pay for them Tails . Not to mention a second fighter pack could do amazingly.

And speaking of Mii costumes, when are we gonna hear about those? It'd be great to get fighter DLC costumes, but we are basically guaranteed to get new Mii costumes coming by eventually. We got the first set for 4 the same day Mewtwo was available for sale, so I'd expect that mid January we'll be getting our potted plant and a batch of Mii outfits...
I don't take this as Joker not being planned to be the first added and revealed, just that Sakurai didn't know he was going to be revealed so early.
Sounds like Joker WAS in development, but not in a state that was ready to be shown off yet. Feels as if DLC started development after the game went gold shortly after the November direct, a month is really early.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't take this as Joker not being planned to be the first added and revealed, just that Sakurai didn't know he was going to be revealed so early.
Sounds like Joker WAS in development, but not in a state that was ready to be shown off yet. Feels as if DLC started development after the game went gold shortly after the November direct, a month is really early.
Honestly, the descriptions I heard on these threads made it sound like no work was done on him. Which is kind of annoying, considering my recent posts. >.<

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Dark Samus is never referred to as "it," but rather exclusively referred to as "she" in both the Metroid games and in Smash itself (save for the error in her Smash blog post, which was later corrected).

Some people erroneously call her "it" because Metroid Prime in the first game was an "it," and Dark Samus is part Metroid Prime, but it is mainly Samus's DNA+Phazon+the Phazon Suit, and therefore is female.

It's bizarre how many people insist on referring to Dark Samus as "it" when she's never been referred to as such in any capacity, and by definition is biologically female. So I don't blame you for picking that up from other people, I just don't understand where the misconception even started.
I mean, Metroid is an it, and it takes the Phazon Suit to mimic Samus. So I'd refer to Dark Samus as an "it..."

unless, of course, you wanted to say Dark Samus in Smash Bros. Ultimate is Metroid Prime 3 Samus having been corrupted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBpVsFEVGYw

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, Metroid is an it, and it takes the Phazon Suit to mimic Samus. So I'd refer to Dark Samus as an "it..."

unless, of course, you wanted to say Dark Samus in Smash Bros. Ultimate is Metroid Prime 3 Samus having been corrupted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBpVsFEVGYw
In this case, Dark Samus is implied to be female within the game's own lore and writing. This could just be referring to their gender, which is what they mentally identify as. Physically, it's an it, since they lack any kind of reproduction system or body parts to determine a proper sex. Mentally, we don't know. Female is the only in-game official thing we have, so it's the most accurate in this case. Especially since it's about characterization too.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Hmm.

Well by this definition liking a pokemon for its design isn't shallow if you put thought into why you like its design. That said, any decent artist could tell you that making or recognizing good design requires some degree of thought.
Fair enough, but I also said I didn't think liking a pokemon for its competitive usefulness isn't shallow.

Besides, if you asked me why I liked my favorite pokemon for reasons other then competitive usefulness, I could probably give you reasons why. I could go into depth about what I like or don't like about their designs. Then there's personal and nostalgic attachment from using them in their teams, which I'd understand if you couldn't relate but is still a legitimate reason to like something.

And even if you want to get into stats and such the game just simply isn't balanced with competitive play in mind. That's the real reason every pokemon can be useful in single player. Fighting AI is very different from fighting real players, and there's other factors to consider such as how quickly they gain experience, what levels pokemon evolve at, and how rare or difficult they are to find. Starter pokemon generally have flexible stats that make them very easy to fit on most single player teams, evolve at a steady pace, and have fire/water/grass typings which are generally useful in a lot of areas of most game's stories.
A person isn't going to put serious thought into why they like a Pokemon most of the time except out of nostalgia or just liking it for how it looks to them immediately, which goes back to being shallow, which is synonymous with being superficial. Designs are more of preferential and superficial factor in the end. Not everyone has the same ideals, standards and tastes regarding what they like from a monster in regards to how it looks.

Arguably, none of that stuff about Starters actually matters even remotely in playing through the story because it's all murdered by the fact that it is entirely possible to solo the game with worse Pokemon like Caterpie due to how easy the game is built. It's only because of this severe lack of difficulty that any monster that isn't even good is going to be able to accomplish the feat, making it a completely unimpressive feat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29VxwtNiGBo

Other monster collectors that AREN'T Pokemon usually have tons of steady difficulty spikes to them that generally make it impossible to pull off anything similar. Try taking on Leonyx from Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 with an unfused Stub Stump.

Even if you're not doing a solo run, the existence of ingame tiers and stronger options in the game can free up space Starters could easily be replaced with. Abra and Archen are top tier on ingame tier lists because they're easy to get pretty early, have super good stats compared to a ton of unevolved mons you get around the time including Starters and can usually power through a ton of stuff with their STABs that end up making them way more useful in the stories.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
In this case, Dark Samus is implied to be female within the game's own lore and writing. This could just be referring to their gender, which is what they mentally identify as. Physically, it's an it, since they lack any kind of reproduction system or body parts to determine a proper sex. Mentally, we don't know. Female is the only in-game official thing we have, so it's the most accurate in this case. Especially since it's about characterization too.
join us next time as we see dark samus get his/her/it/w̤̲̯͍̭̰̔̃ͩ͒h́̿̍͋a̷̮̜̼̣t̤̦̊͋̓̚ě͙̺͉v͈̞̟̩ͩͤ̚ę͖̤͉̱̲̊ͧṛ̡̣̺͔̘̞͙ͮ̔͑͒ͮ nails done

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
join us next time as we see dark samus get his/her/it/w̤̲̯͍̭̰̔̃ͩ͒h́̿̍͋a̷̮̜̼̣t̤̦̊͋̓̚ě͙̺͉v͈̞̟̩ͩͤ̚ę͖̤͉̱̲̊ͧṛ̡̣̺͔̘̞͙ͮ̔͑͒ͮ nails done
I dunno, I imagine she'd put flowers around her arm cannon~

Gotta look pretty for Zero Suit Samus' wedding, right?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Dark Samus is basically an Eldritch Horror shoved into a human like shape. Without the armor it just kind of looks like a monstrous thing that barely resembles a human outside of the general shape.

D

Deleted member

Woo! We're getting new Spirits for the first time (assuming you didn't have Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee) this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom