• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just realized something. There is so much fan service in each character that they most likely played each game for research. This most likely holds true of Joker. So somebody at Nintendo played Persona 5. Which means someone at Nintendo owns a PS4.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just realized something. There is so much fan service in each character that they most likely played each game for research. This most likely holds true of Joker. So somebody at Nintendo played Persona 5. Which means someone at Nintendo owns a PS4.
It's not that weird, really. There's probably lots of people at Nintendo who own PS4s, and lots of people at Microsoft or Sony who own Switches or even Wii Us. A lot of game developers are likley gamers themselves on their free time.

Besides, it's not like working for a company means you have to swear total loyalty to them and agree to never give money to their competitors. I work at Wal-mart but you can bet I shop at the Safeway across the street from time to time.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Man this game makes me feel like a newb again. This faster game engine, as well as the fact that I've picked up slippery little Squirtle, just goes to show how sloppy my movement is and how poor my reflexes can be. I still need to learn to short hop consistently and dashdance just outside of someone's range without getting immediately hit.

I think I'm always either over-utilizing shield or under-utilizing it. How much you should shield seems pretty match up dependent in this game unlike in Smash 4 where shield was your go-to neutral tool. I underused shield in some Pokemon Trainer matches earlier and got hit by a couple random Flare Blitzes. Although I beat that player in two out of three matches it feels a bit humiliating to be taken out by unsafe Flare Blitzes after I mocked that move a little and the other day. I need to get better at adapting to my opponents.

This game is kind of frustrating me. Like, it's frustrating for me in a way that makes me want to improve rather then give up, but it's still frustrating. And the amount of matchups I've yet to properly learn in a roster this big is kind terrifying to me.
I know what you mean.

My worst habit is forgetting that the shield button is a thing, so I've always been best with the rushdown heavies since I never used it. Now I'm trying to break that habit, but it's not going well...

And yeah, :007:'s a load of fun to play and I'm so happy he's back, but I'm really bad with speedsters on principle. I'd like to be better with him (and :ultfox::ultsonic::ultwolf:), but it's tough. I keep side b'ing off the edge.

Wolf is also a ***** this round too...I want to not suck with him. I played a bit of Wolf in Brawl, but now you can clearly see that Wolf != Fox

Sidenote - are we gonna get the :007::002::006: icons? I assume they've been mined already.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Rate these characters chances.

2B
Agumon
Crash Bandicoot
Ryu Hayabusa
Porky Minch
Steve
Already in another crossover; depends how you view it.
Good: Shows Square want to use her in other titles. Bad: They may want to diversify the use of their IPs.

Unlikely, but I think the Digimon v Pokemon thing is something that would intrigue a lot of people and thus Nintendo. I think people downplay it a bit.

Most likely third party in my opinion. Every criteria he hits.

It's possible, but I am not sure on the likelihood.

Extremely doubtful

Depends on many factors. Microsoft and Nintendo may have a decent working "relationship" but so do Ubisoft and they still have nothing but spirits. I think being western may play a more detrimental role than people think.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Already in another crossover; depends how you view it.
Good: Shows Square want to use her in other titles. Bad: They may want to diversify the use of their IPs.

Unlikely, but I think the Digimon v Pokemon thing is something that would intrigue a lot of people and thus Nintendo. I think people downplay it a bit.

Most likely third party in my opinion. Every criteria he hits.

It's possible, but I am not sure on the likelihood.

Extremely doubtful

Depends on many factors. Microsoft and Nintendo may have a decent working "relationship" but so do Ubisoft and they still have nothing but spirits. I think being western may play a more detrimental role than people think.
I think you think that’s a bigger problem than it actually is. Like, if Nintendo was so against western devs, Unbisoft, Wayforward, and Yacht Club Games wouldn’t have anything in at all. They wouldn’t have leant Mario to Ubisoft for Kingdom Battle, Retro wouldn’t exist, and they’d never have given Rare Donkey Kong all those years ago. It’s all just wether or not it makes sense from a business perspective.

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Hey guys! Here's a fun tech I discovered:

When your family doesn't care about your overall existence and you spend your holidays alone, just play Smash Ultimate!
If the seclusion from your loved ones is still getting to you, then you just aren't playing enough. Keep going! Classic mode and WoL still need to be beaten 100%!

PvtPepperoni

Smash Rookie
Ok so hear me out,

I think there is at least a possibility for Sans being a DLC character because of the following.

In Toon Link's tips (https://i.imgur.com/OVcwKRx.png) it says
"If you try to dunk someone with it, you're gonna have a bad time."
this is, of course, a popular Sans quote during the Sans fight in Undertale and a reference to when you spare Sans he says "Get dunked on."

Overall, I think there is at least a chance of his appearance, and I hope he does join the battle.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ok so hear me out,

I think there is at least a possibility for Sans being a DLC character because of the following.

this is, of course, a popular Sans quote during the Sans fight in Undertale and a reference to when you spare Sans he says "Get dunked on."

Overall, I think there is at least a chance of his appearance, and I hope he does join the battle.
That same tip was in Smash 4, before Undertale was released. It's just a coincidence.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Ok so hear me out,

This was in Smash 4 before Undertale came out. It means nothing.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Ok so hear me out,

Imma keep it real with you chief

A tip for Toon Link's down air is in no way a hint towards an Undertale character

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Ok so hear me out,

Huh look at that. A tip that existed before Undertale means Sans is gonna be dlc.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey man, i'm pushing for any Undertale character.

I say Frisk the most because it makes the most sense. As far as I know a side character has never gotten in before a main character.
I wouldn't say that makes it impossible. Alucard was originally the choice for a Castlevania character, and he wasn't necessarily the protagonist more than he was a helping hand.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I wouldn't say that makes it impossible. Alucard was originally the choice for a Castlevania character, and he wasn't necessarily the protagonist more than he was a helping hand.
Oh really? I didn't know that, how interesting. And I suppose there's a first time for everything.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah I think it’s all about being iconic for Sakurai, which is why Alucard was considered but the Belmont’s ultimately won out. But I think Sans has Frisk beat on that account

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pokémon Trainer :upsidedown:
Exactly. And couldn't get in till Brawl.

Pikachu, the mascot, came first. Mascots and major icons have priority over simply the playable character. It's more logical to choose the most recognizable one in many cases. It doesn't mean the protagonist/playable character is a bad choice, as they sometimes might win out due to moveset potential. It also depends if DLC as well.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It would be half hype, half salt and I would enjoy both reactions
Wouldn't be as salty as a Steve reveal, though.

Untitled.jpg

master chief would bring the least amount of salt because nobody has any real reason to complain

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm finally going through My Music and picking songs for every stage. I keep getting sidetracked whenever I go to a Pokemon / FE / Kirby stage and just end up listening to their music. There's too many good selections this time around.

...Anyway, anyone else here feel like there's too many stages this time around? Having 103 different stages to play on is a novel idea, but it makes picking stages really hard. And while people do miss stages, I don't think people tend to miss them as much as cut characters. Some of them look really nice this time around though. Halberd has always been one of my favorite stages and now it just blows me away with its visuals whenever I play on it.

They should still bring back Pokemon Floats though
Sidenote - are we gonna get the :007::002::006: icons? I assume they've been mined already.
I've seen them posted before, so those icons are definitely datamined. We'll probably get them whenever we get the icons for the Koopalings and gender alts. So never.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Wouldn't be as salty as a Steve reveal, though.

View attachment 184313

master chief would bring the least amount of salt because nobody has any real reason to complain
I dunno I think if any Microsoft character got in before Banjo there’d be salt. Even if Master Chief and Steve are way more recognizable and profitable than Banjo (I say as a huge Banjo fan)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I dunno I think if any Microsoft character got in before Banjo there’d be salt. Even if Master Chief and Steve are way more recognizable and profitable than Banjo (I say as a huge Banjo fan)
Hence the "any real reason to complain" outside of m-m-muh nostalgia or whatever.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And with that, Cloud was the last character unlocked. Clearly this is somehow Square-Enix's fault. :p Now to update past 1.0.0 since I did the harder unlock AI.

Also my Switch FC is in my postbit if folks want to add me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom