• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Well you gotta keep in mind that he's also had a large amount of support since the Smash 4 hype cycle. Dunno if the support was actually bigger than Joker but it was certainly more vocal. His inclusion would be pretty hype.
id basically die of hype if any new kirby stuff gets added in

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
she hasn't? all the game's she's shown up in are directed by someone other than sakurai (he only directed dreamland, adventure, super star, nightmare in dreamland, and air ride, had no input on dreamland 2, only voiced dedede in 64, and was an advisor on amazing mirror)

we've only gotten scant references to other games, none of which are any major things. no new stages, no new characters, no new items, basically nothing outside of two final smashes and a costume for meta knight. there's basically no way he isn't biased towards his own games at this point, it makes absolutely no sense otherwise
So basically, there's some conspiracy theory that Sakurai has bias for Kirby except he doesn't really for anything not created by him.

Even though there's plenty of spirits and stuff from Kirby not created by him. Also, being an advisor does give him input and I don't know why you're trying to claim he hates the likes of Adeliene when we have no proof whatsoever.
What I mean is that he's probably next in line, like how Ashley is next in line for WarioWare.
For what??? A playable fighter? Where's the source suggesting she was even on the table for being a fighter???
there's basically no way he isn't biased towards his own games at this point, it makes absolutely no sense otherwise
You might as well be claiming he has a bias on every present series' eras with that aim of logic. :U

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Best thing about Bandanna Waddle Dee getting in is that I can laugh at all his detractors and drink their tears while I get to try out this new character that expands the roster by exactly one.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Well you gotta keep in mind that he's also had a large amount of support since the Smash 4 hype cycle. Dunno if the support was actually bigger than Joker but it was certainly more vocal. His inclusion would be pretty hype.
It was definitely bigger if only for the fact that people didn't think joker was a realistic pick. If Nintendo is going to continue to add characters we didn't think were possible, or at the very least are very shocking, Bandanna Dee doesn't really fit that criteria. Joker was shocking simply because literally no one thought it could happen. Piranha Plant was shocking because no one asked for it to happen. Just saying, if unpredictability plays a role in the future of the DLC, then I just can't see Bandanna Dee happening

D

Deleted member

Best thing about Bandanna Waddle Dee getting in is that I can laugh at all his detractors and drink their tears while I get to try out this new character that expands the roster by exactly one.
I may be a Bandana Dee hater, but even i find him in Smash as something fair and acceptable.

Dee isn’t at the level of Geno or Sylux (at least at the moment) mostly because he is important in almost every modern Kirby game released to this day.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
The only speculation characters who would be hype that I can see for DLC is Crash, Bandana Dee, maybe Elma, Dixie, maybe an LoZ character, Paper Mario, Geno, and... perhaps an FE or Pokémon rep.

Third parties are another question and might just be the whole crux of the DLC tbh. Yeah, there's no evidence to assume it'll all be 3rd Party, but I just can't shake the feeling. Joker as a start just gives the vibes that the Nintendo characters are done and it's time to move over.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Until we actually get a playable Kirby character from a post-Sakurai game, I will absolutely believe there's a reason for the lack of anyone beyond the three we have.
It's ironic. The bias that comes out of looking at this only with the Kirby series and never at any other franchises in this giant crossover that go through similar things, oy vey conspiracy theories can be annoying.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
So basically, there's some conspiracy theory that Sakurai has bias for Kirby except he doesn't really for anything not created by him.

Even though there's plenty of spirits and stuff from Kirby not created by him. Also, being an advisor does give him input and I don't know why you're trying to claim he hates the likes of Adeliene when we have no proof whatsoever.
sakurai was only the advisor on one game, he has nothing to do with any game adeleine is in, he might not even know she exists. i heard that the spirits were worked on by different people, which would mean that sakurai had no input on that either so the references there are completely unrelated to him

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's ironic. The bias that comes out of looking at this only with the Kirby series and never at any other franchises in this giant crossover that go through similar things, oy vey conspiracy theories can be annoying.
Way to ignore the follow up post.

The constant need to defend the sanctity of Sakurai's name is incredibly annoying. He's a man, not a god. People can absolutely have biases and there's nothing wrong with that. To call it a conspiracy theory just serves to keep up the "Sakurai can do no wrong, praise be to his name" circle jerk.

D

Deleted member

Teleporting Lesbian is one of my most wanted but I doubt she would happen.

Stranger things have happened though
I would love to see her alongside orange shirtless marsupial who spins to break any box crate on his way.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I may be a Bandana Dee hater, but even i find him in Smash as something fair and acceptable.

Dee isn’t at the level of Geno or Sylux (at least at the moment) mostly because he is important in almost every modern Kirby game released to this day.
Bandana Dee is definitely not on the level of Geno or Sylux because he's on a higher level.

The only speculation characters who would be hype that I can see for DLC is Crash, Bandana Dee, maybe Elma, Dixie, maybe an LoZ character, Paper Mario, Geno, and... perhaps an FE or Pokémon rep.

Third parties are another question and might just be the whole crux of the DLC tbh. Yeah, there's no evidence to assume it'll all be 3rd Party, but I just can't shake the feeling. Joker as a start just gives the vibes that the Nintendo characters are done and it's time to move over.
I still think we'll get at least one Nintendo character. Corrin was in the last reveal after all.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Rosalina I get because of the constant hints and vavue descriptions of her being some cosmic goddess, but Inkling? Is it just because he's colorful?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
sakurai was only the advisor on one game, he has nothing to do with any game adeleine is in, he might not even know she exists. i heard that the spirits were worked on by different people, which would mean that sakurai had no input on that either so the references there are completely unrelated to him
You realize how on each point you have to stretch for technical bits to facilitate this assumption of Sakurai having a bias against your longed for characters right?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There's a time and place for when a series gets a lot of focus, Kirby got that back in Brawl, and since then there's been a bigger priority to expand series like FE, KI and Metroid, either due to timing or demand (or a bit of both). Some series like Mario and Pokémon always gets a lot of new stuff of course, but they pretty much transcend any sort of rules anyways.

I don't think Kirby's been anywhere near the top of the list when it comes to series that need new content since pre-Brawl, so although I'd love Bandana Dee, I think it's okay that nothing much happens for it with Ultimate, because it's still in a good spot. Come the next game I do think it'll be fair to expect a new Kirby character though, it's probably only behind Xenoblade and Sonic at that point.

I think any case for Sakurai-era bias can mostly only be argued when it comes to stage selection, and in that case I can definitely understand the argument.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Having played Kirby games with Bandanna Waddle Dee in them in a playable capacity, I just don’t really get the hype.

Like, i’ve mellowed our with my dislike of the character...he’s the go to player 4 for Kirby games with that formula. But gameplay wise, I find him boring.

Sure, his moveset makes itself. But he will poke and stab with a spear....swing it around to recover...ok? Just seems a bit boring. Like, on those grounds I can see why Sakurai would look him over despite popularity. Personally I can acknowledge the popularity but still ask, “Why?”

In terms of bias against the Kirby series, I just think it has more to do with already having the 3 most important picks in and perhaps not feeling the need to add more? Zelda has more than Kirby, for example, but they have effectively 2 Zeldas and 3 Links. Another series with great newcomer potential, but only scratching the surface with the main 3, and different iterations of them.

I mean hey, if BWD gets in he gets in. I’m just not all that interested because i’m not convinced he’d be all that compelling of an addition.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Rosalina I get because of the constant hints and vavue descriptions of her being some cosmic goddess, but Inkling? Is it just because he's colorful?
i read a theory that suggests he's supposed to represent octavio but i think its just because he's colorful and that's the theme of their classic mode

D

Deleted member

Having played Kirby games with Bandanna Waddle Dee in them in a playable capacity, I just don’t really get the hype.

Like, i’ve mellowed our with my dislike of the character...he’s the go to player 4 for Kirby games with that formula. But gameplay wise, I find him boring.

Sure, his moveset makes itself. But he will poke and stab with a spear....swing it around to recover...ok? Just seems a bit boring. Like, on those grounds I can see why Sakurai would look him over despite popularity. Personally I can acknowledge the popularity but still ask, “Why?”

In terms of bias against the Kirby series, I just think it has more to do with already having the 3 most important picks in and perhaps not feeling the need to add more? Zelda has more than Kirby, for example, but they have effectively 2 Zeldas and 3 Links. Another series with great newcomer potential, but only scratching the surface with the main 3, and different iterations of them.

I mean hey, if BWD gets in he gets in. I’m just not all that interested because i’m not convinced he’d be all that compelling of an addition.
Exactly my thoughts.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Honestly, after some of the gimmick-fests of the SSB4/U newcomers, I'd be interested in seeing a simpler moveset and if those can still be relatively engaging.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i still think porky has like a 50/50 shot of being dlc

yall really think they would add in brick road and model the INSIDE of the monotoli building to look as close to how it did in earthbound and they just somehow forget to put porky in the game at all????

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

i mean that's fine but lots of people want characters for their own reasons. lots of people think characters are boring for their own reason.

I'm super hype for Joker and Plant, you can bet that there are people that think one, the other, or both totally killed any dlc hype at all. So...

I don't care about BWD. But I think he's kinda cool for what he is, too, and people attach themselves to side characters all the time and shuttle them into popularity. *shrug*
Honestly, after some of the gimmick-fests of the SSB4/U newcomers, I'd be interested in seeing a simpler moveset and if those can still be relatively engaging.
this too tbh

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
i still think porky has like a 50/50 shot of being dlc

yall really think they would add in brick road and model the INSIDE of the monotoli building to look as close to how it did in earthbound and they just somehow forget to put porky in the game at all????
Yes, considering stage modelling and Spirit selecting are probably done by different people.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
BWD can do more than use a spear, which, might I add, is one of the main reasons people wanted Krystal and because of the Sword hierarchy in FE.

I personally can't recall other instances off of memory, but I'm pretty sure there's more to him than "I throw spears"

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Way to ignore the follow up post.
I saw the follow up. It's still a conspiracy theory at best. Claiming Sakurai doesn't want to overrep a series and get accused of bias when the Fire Emblem meme is a thing.

And going off of the info, he apparently hasn't made more of the modern games. If anything, if he was truly worried of being accused of bias, the argument of him being biased against anything Kirby that he didn't create wouldn't have grown to be the mantra that it is on sites like these.

The constant need to defend the sanctity of Sakurai's name is incredibly annoying.
Can we NOT assume fan devotion whenever the ideal gets debated please? I don't have that much attachment to the situation to begin with. Doesn't mean I don't know the circumstances, but I'm not out to defend anyone's honor of that's what you think.
To call it a conspiracy theory just serves to keep up the "Sakurai can do no wrong, praise be to his name" circle jerk.
By definition, it is a conspiracy theory. Especially considering its lack of facilitating evidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom