• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I've accepted new Kirby stuff is most likely never happening with Sakurai in charge.

Marx was probably our only shot, and that's out for this game.

TBH I don't think the DLC is gonna have Kirby stuff either. If we're getting a Nintendo first-party next year, it's probably going to be related to a game coming out (my money is on a Pokemon).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Until we actually get a playable Kirby character from a post-Sakurai game, I will absolutely believe there's a reason for the lack of anyone beyond the three we have.

D

Deleted member

Until we actually get a playable Kirby character from a post-Sakurai game, I will absolutely believe there's a reason for the lack of anyone beyond the three we have.
And i won’t claim that Sakurai hates Modern Kirby until he declares that.

hot take: geno sucks and should not be in smash
I don’t mind your take, but i am curious about the reasons behind it.

Do you prefer Mallow?
You would rather have Paper Mario?
You are fine with just the Mii Costume?
You don’t like his design? Or portrayal in SMRPG?
You don’t want more Mario characters?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

This. For whatever reason, Sakurai seems to want nothing to do with the Kirby games he didn't make. It's...very strange, and almost seems like an aversion of some sort, but TBH that's just me guessing. I don't know the guy, so I can't say for sure what the reason is exactly, but I honestly feel there is one.

hot take: geno sucks and should not be in smash
Aw shoot son, this is a spicy post.

No way to contend with this one, friends. We've been outplayed.
6kcz4vs2veu11.jpg

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not saying he hates it. He clearly worries about overrepresenting series he created, so I think he purposely adds things from the parts he made. He'd know those characters the best, anyway. If he needs to limit the Kirby characters, he'd naturally want to use his own.

Or we could just ignore the fact that Marx was chosen as a boss over characters like Magolor or Sectonia, that no modern Kirby games got remixes, and that none have ever gotten stages (even the Epic Yarn stage was dropped once a game with a similar aesthetic came around to give a reason to replace it).

Folks can believe what they want, but believing modern Kirby stuff is purposely left for less major content shouldn't be treated as some insane conspiracy theory.

D

Deleted member

This. For whatever reason, Sakurai seems to want nothing to do with the Kirby games he didn't make. It's...very strange, and almost seems like an aversion of some sort, but TBH that's just me guessing. I don't know the guy, so I can't say for sure what the reason is exactly, but I honestly feel there is one.
We shouldn’t jump the gun without clear proofs of Sakurai disliking Modern Kirby.

Remember when we thought that Isaac was in just for the Direct delay and the lack of mention of his AT?

Galactic Gecko

Smash Cadet

I don’t mind your take, but i am curious about the reasons behind it.

Do you prefer Mallow?
You would rather have Paper Mario?
You are fine with just the Mii Costume?
You don’t like his design? Or portrayal in SMRPG?
You don’t want more Mario characters?
1.) Geno has no personality to speak of, and has less than 30 lines of dialogue in his entire game, don't know why people think he is so cool when we can barely see that he is cool.
2.) Mallow is actually interesting, and Paper Mario would be great.
3.) Geno honestly is only popular within the Smash fanbase.
4.) Geno has only appeared in 1 game 30 years ago, he did make a cameo in Superstar Saga but he got taken out in the remake.
the only thing Geno has going for him is moveset potential

osby

Smash Obsessed
We shouldn’t jump the gun without clear proofs of Sakurai disliking Modern Kirby.

Remember when we thought that Isaac was in just for the Direct delay and the lack of mention of his AT?
...that's a comletely different thing.

Though, I don't think three characters we have now is a proof of anything. It's like saying Sakurai doesn't want to add Star Fox characters that weren't in 64.

D

Deleted member

1.) Geno has no personality to speak of, and has less than 30 lines of dialogue in his entire game, don't know why people think he is so cool when we can barely see that he is cool.
2.) Mallow is actually interesting, and Paper Mario would be great.
3.) Geno honestly is only popular within the Smash fanbase.
4.) Geno has only appeared in 1 game 30 years ago, he did make a cameo in Superstar Saga but he got taken out in the remake.
the only thing Geno has going for him is moveset potential
Those are fair points, and i would also like to get Paper Mario in Smash.

D

Deleted member

It's definitely an assumption on my part, and I'm not trying to say it's fact: It 100% isn't. TBH Opossum Opossum 's post is a way more likely theory than mine, so I'd just disregard what I said.

D

Deleted member

...that's a comletely different thing.

Though, I don't think three characters we have now is a proof of anything. It's like saying Sakurai doesn't want to add Star Fox characters that weren't in 64.
Exactly.

And many people online used to claim that Metroid would never get newcomers after the “Ridley is too big” comment and the focus on Other M and Super Metroid in Smash 4.

We can’t judge anything just for three characters.

D

Deleted member

Maybe Sakurai doesn't give us any new Kirby characters because we already have the best one: :ultkingdedede:

The game itself even says so!

D

Deleted member

It is worth to note that some Kirby games where Sakurai wasn’t involved had Smash elements to a bigger or smaller extenct.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I just wish we had more Kirby content from the Dream Land 2/Dream Land 3/ Kirby 64 trilogy other than the 02 remix.

Like the animal friends.

D

Deleted member

I would love the Animal Friends too.

They can work pretty well if done right.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Maybe the Animal Friends could work like Pokémon Trainer? The only difficult part could be figuring out how Kine would work though. It would be amusing to see him flop around the stage.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Wait, how many bugs are there and which characters get absolutely broken? I heard about Isabelle literally becoming the Goddess of Smash and relinquishing you of playing the game, but now the Icies cam apparently become immune to anything trying to grip them?

Are there more than this?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
idk what the deal is with Sakurai and modern Kirby but whatever it is, it clearly isn't changing anytime soon. We'd be lucky if we get a newcomer from there at all in the next game.

I fully expect the Fighters Pass to consist of four third parties and a Fire Emblem: Three Houses character so I have my expectations pretty low for the Kirby cast.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
What are you on about? Besides, she's been in games made by Sakurai. Not like any of that matters.
she hasn't? all the game's she's shown up in are directed by someone other than sakurai (he only directed dreamland, adventure, super star, nightmare in dreamland, and air ride, had no input on dreamland 2, only voiced dedede in 64, and was an advisor on amazing mirror)

we've only gotten scant references to other games, none of which are any major things. no new stages, no new characters, no new items, basically nothing outside of two final smashes and a costume for meta knight. there's basically no way he isn't biased towards his own games at this point, it makes absolutely no sense otherwise

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I had no choice. I'm sorry...
Okay? I’m a little confused but I guess let’s just move on then.

Those are fair points, and i would also like to get Paper Mario in Smash.
Personally the Mario RPG character I’d like to see is Fawful, but Paper Mario would’ve pretty fun and there is so much unique moveset potential to him.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wait, how many bugs are there and which characters get absolutely broken? I heard about Isabelle literally becoming the Goddess of Smash and relinquishing you of playing the game, but now the Icies cam apparently become immune to anything trying to grip them?

Are there more than this?
The Nabbit glitch is back, the ICs and King Dedede can get more distance on their up-B when standing on ink for some reason, and the Monado Art glitch still exists for Shulk (and Kirby).

And that's not the end, but there's a notable amount of glitches out there that I haven't seen yet either.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
maybe sakurai dislikes modern kirby games because they're better than the kirby games he made and he knows it

(except for air ride, that's a masterpiece)

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Now that Piranha Plant is in people will stop saying that bandana dee cant get in because he is just a hat goomba
I don't think he's getting in simply because it would be one hell of a low note after joker. I feel like bandanna Dee is base roster material but maybe not DLC. Could always be wrong but Bandanna Dee compared to joker are two vastly different levels of "holy ****"

osby

Smash Obsessed
maybe sakurai dislikes modern kirby games because they're better than the kirby games he made and he knows it

(except for air ride, that's a masterpiece)
Yeah, the content people include in their work is always a good indication of their personal opinions and you should treat them like absolute truth, that's very smart.

So what's the current discussion at the moment? DLC as usual?
'Sakurai hates modern Kirby' as usual.

Also someone mentioned Fire Emblem because reasons.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Inb4 it's not Paper Mario that gets in as an RPG rep, but M&L Mario.

Granted, how do you make that sound good for the announcer to say? Hammer Mario?

Speaking of which, he's used one in pretty much every RPG and even in the main games a few times: Why doesn't he have his hammer already?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't think he's getting in simply because it would be one hell of a low note after joker. I feel like bandanna Dee is base roster material but maybe not DLC. Could always be wrong but Bandanna Dee compared to joker are two vastly different levels of "holy ****"
Well you gotta keep in mind that he's also had a large amount of support since the Smash 4 hype cycle. Dunno if the support was actually bigger than Joker but it was certainly more vocal. His inclusion would be pretty hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom