• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
My list for the year, pretty good but not without blemish.
The Ugly
- Everything surrounding Quantic Dream and Detroit Become Human (aside from the guy that played Connor)
- The fall of Telltale, no severance
- Persona 5 Dancing completely ignoring Ann's arc in P5 (which they also ignored there smh) and heavily sexualising her and Futaba.
- Fallout 76 being a colossal disaster
- Rockstar's awful work ethics
- Nintendo cracking down on Rom sites whilst still not providing a good retro games service
- Ninja winning the content creator award
- FFXV's DLC beyond Episode Ardyn being cancelled
- Sony's E3 being a ****ing mess.
- CD Projekt Red doubling down on supporting Gamergate
- The shooting at the Madden tournament in Florida
- "The Gamers" are still an embarrassment.

The Bad
- MvC:I's absence from EVO
- Toei ****ing over DBFZ tournaments
- Nintendo's Online service being subpar.
- The handling of BBTAG's roster and DLC, especially the fifth fate.
- PS Classic having the worse versions of the games and not even having some iconic games like SotN
- Battlefield V having a stupid release that was poorly communicated and advertised
- Poor soundtrack nominations at the Game Awards including the winner, RDR2 and Spider-Man.
- Blizzard bungling with Diablo at BlizzCon
- Prima Games shutting down
- Metal Gear Survive was a thing apparently, paid save files too

The Decent
- XC2: Torna being significantly better than the base game it's based off of
- Jurassic World Evolution being the successor to Operation Genesis fans have been waiting for.
- SFV winning people over/back with Arcade Edition
- Nintendo's E3

The Good
- Monster Hunter becoming a mainstream success
- Mega Man is back
- Castlevania showing that video games can be successfully adapted into a short tv/netflix series by having a great second season
- Detective Pikachu looking to be the first good video game film.
- Pokemon Lets Go performing well to the shock of no sane person.
- Hitman 2
- Microsoft making gains so they can be more competitive in future
- Epic and Discord looking to provide Steam with competition
- Battlefield V standing up against people who never studied history
- Capcom redemption arc carrying on with REmake 2 and DMC V
- Microsoft's E3

The Great
- SonicFox winning best eSports player and his speech at the Game Awards
- Smash Bros' reveal and release in the same year adding big names like Simon Belmont and Ken with popular characters like Ridley and Inkling.
- Dad of Boi and it actually making Kratos a character
- Insomniac's Spider-Man being an amazing, spectacular, sensational, ultimate celebration of the Friendly Neighbourhood Webhead, superior to other superhero games. Astonishing work all around. Uhh... Avenging... the past few years of Marvel games?
- Spyro is back
- An overall fantastic year for fighting games with SC returning with 2B as a guest, DBFZ turning out great, BBTAG being great, UNIST being amazing, FEXL doing well enough for an indie to the point Terry Bogard is gonna be in it and even more content for them with MK11 set to release in 4 months as well as EVO being amazing.
- Celeste garnering the recognition it deserves
- AC: Odyssey having multiple LGBTQ+ romances and having Kassandra as the canon protagonist on top of already being an excellent game
- **** yeah loads more Yakuza, **** yeah future games getting dubbed. Would pay for dubs to be added to 0, K1 and K2, double if Mark Hamill is back as Majima.
- Life is Strange Season 2

Ganondorf as Santa? I'm in love
Ridley as Krampus.

The bowling ball is infused with corrupt, dark magic. Why do you think Villager is nicknamed Killager? :p
They're a slasher villain

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
My list for the year, pretty good but not without blemish.
The Ugly
- Everything surrounding Quantic Dream and Detroit Become Human (aside from the guy that played Connor)
- The fall of Telltale, no severance
- Persona 5 Dancing completely ignoring Ann's arc in P5 (which they also ignored there smh) and heavily sexualising her and Futaba.
- Fallout 76 being a colossal disaster
- Rockstar's awful work ethics
- Nintendo cracking down on Rom sites whilst still not providing a good retro games service
- Ninja winning the content creator award
- FFXV's DLC beyond Episode Ardyn being cancelled
- Sony's E3 being a ****ing mess.
- CD Projekt Red doubling down on supporting Gamergate
- The shooting at the Madden tournament in Florida
- "The Gamers" are still an embarrassment.

The Bad
- MvC:I's absence from EVO
- Toei ****ing over DBFZ tournaments
- Nintendo's Online service being subpar.
- The handling of BBTAG's roster and DLC, especially the fifth fate.
- PS Classic having the worse versions of the games and not even having some iconic games like SotN
- Battlefield V having a stupid release that was poorly communicated and advertised
- Poor soundtrack nominations at the Game Awards including the winner, RDR2 and Spider-Man.
- Blizzard bungling with Diablo at BlizzCon
- Prima Games shutting down
- Metal Gear Survive was a thing apparently, paid save files too

The Decent
- XC2: Torna being significantly better than the base game it's based off of
- Jurassic World Evolution being the successor to Operation Genesis fans have been waiting for.
- SFV winning people over/back with Arcade Edition
- Nintendo's E3

The Good
- Monster Hunter becoming a mainstream success
- Mega Man is back
- Castlevania showing that video games can be successfully adapted into a short tv/netflix series by having a great second season
- Detective Pikachu looking to be the first good video game film.
- Pokemon Lets Go performing well to the shock of no sane person.
- Hitman 2
- Microsoft making gains so they can be more competitive in future
- Epic and Discord looking to provide Steam with competition
- Battlefield V standing up against people who never studied history
- Capcom redemption arc carrying on with REmake 2 and DMC V
- Microsoft's E3

The Great
- SonicFox winning best eSports player and his speech at the Game Awards
- Smash Bros' reveal and release in the same year adding big names like Simon Belmont and Ken with popular characters like Ridley and Inkling.
- Dad of Boi and it actually making Kratos a character
- Insomniac's Spider-Man being an amazing, spectacular, sensational, ultimate celebration of the Friendly Neighbourhood Webhead, superior to other superhero games. Astonishing work all around. Uhh... Avenging... the past few years of Marvel games?
- Spyro is back
- An overall fantastic year for fighting games with SC returning with 2B as a guest, DBFZ turning out great, BBTAG being great, UNIST being amazing, FEXL doing well enough for an indie to the point Terry Bogard is gonna be in it and even more content for them with MK11 set to release in 4 months as well as EVO being amazing.
- Celeste garnering the recognition it deserves
- AC: Odyssey having multiple LGBTQ+ romances and having Kassandra as the canon protagonist on top of already being an excellent game
- **** yeah loads more Yakuza, **** yeah future games getting dubbed. Would pay for dubs to be added to 0, K1 and K2, double if Mark Hamill is back as Majima.
- Life is Strange Season 2

Ridley as Krampus.

They're a slasher villain

Hmmmm

Most of the bad things aren’t specific releases, just companies taking stances and doing things I’ve never heard of.

No wonder I thought 2018 was fine.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
When Villager sets up that tree I have a panic attack
But why? its easy to avoid that tree, or im missin' somethin'?

Anyway, im pretty bummed, I played yesterday some quickplays and it's so friggin frustating to lose because the lag, its to watch your character about to dying and your inputs dont responding, and I cant even play vs friends online.

Sucks to live with your parents and bros, everybody it's watching youtube or netflix all the day.

/end of the rant

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ganondorf is also easy to avoid, but it doesn't mean I don't have two heart attacks whenever I have to fight with one as Jigglypuff.

D

Deleted member

Anyway, im pretty bummed, I played yesterday some quickplays and it's so friggin frustating to lose because the lag, its to watch your character about to dying and your inputs dont responding, and I cant even play vs friends online.

Sucks to live with your parents and bros, everybody it's watching youtube or netflix all the day.

/end of the rant
Yeah but idk people getting stage control and making me focus on two things at once freaks me out

I always feel like while I'm focusing on Villager the tree's gonna get me and vice versa. It's why good Links give me nightmares

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Since everyone was making tier lists before. Here's my tier list for new series likely to get in Smash Ultimate's DLC(whether it's the current Fighter Pass or a Season 2 Pass).

S Tier(Very Likely)

Dragon Quest, Tales Of

A Tier(Pretty Likely)

Resident Evil, Minecraft, Banjo-Kazooie, Chrono Trigger(If DQ fails through)

B Tier(Has a possibility)

Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Souls, Crash Bandicoot

C Tier(Not likely, but a small possibility)

Tomb Raider, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Elder Scrolls, Assassin's Creed, Doom

D Tier(Pray for that possible Miracle Here)

Yokai-Watch, Golden Sun, Puyo Puyo, No More Heroes, Halo, Ray Man, Shantae, Shovel Knight

E Tier(E is for E....nope they have a huge near impossible barrier.)

Everyone else

F Tier(Fatality Tier)

Mortal Kombat

G Tier(Goku Tier)

Dragon Ball
yokai watch should be moved up to b tier. it has way more going for it than ninja gaiden, kingdom hearts, or literally any of the c tier

(also you have layton in b tier when yokai watch is far more popular than its ever been lol)

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I am finally back after these days!
I am done finishing my End of Course Exams and finishing a good amount of Ultimate on my Switch!

I had a great experience with my classmates and friends at the video game club after I carry my Switch and dock to the club.

Since yesterday is my last school for this semester, I will try to be a little more active here and on, although not TOO active since I am grinding Adventure mode. I will add some posts in here and the competitive speculation there.

Also we are a few days from Christmas so, I hope you have a great Christmas time!

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
More notes on the Smash Bros. Found a few more songs that I really dig. Forest of Hope, Light Plane (Vocal Mix), Bein' Friend, Environmental Noises.

Also, you all might already know this, but Goku already is in Smash, as a Spirit character.

Oh, also, have you ever heard or read someone request a character for Smash and asked (at least internally if not directly to them) 'what the h*ck is wrong with you?'

Also, I wish more good Golden Sun music was in this game. "Snowman"'s reminding me of all the great stuff those two games had, and all it has representing it now is that one obnoxious remixed tune.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So does the 1.21 update do anything at all or did I hallucinate that happening

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
yokai watch should be moved up to b tier. it has way more going for it than ninja gaiden, kingdom hearts, or literally any of the c tier

(also you have layton in b tier when yokai watch is far more popular than its ever been lol)
From what I've seen, as of 2018, the Layton series sold 17 Million copies whereas Yokai Watch sold about 10 Million, granted Yokai Watch is a bit younger than the Layton series but at the same time, while the series has been massive in Japan, it struggles to pull the same numbers globally, whereas the Layton series has been fairly popular globally, including Japan (Even if not to the same extend)

Granted, I'm expecting Jibanyan to make it in over Layton, mainly because I'm expecting Sakurai to favor Japan over the West, even if Layton would debatably do better sales wise due to more global appeal as far as Level-5 characters go. Also because I don't want to get my hopes up....

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
So does the 1.21 update do anything at all or did I hallucinate that happening
It did make for "various gameplay fixes" again.

I guess just bug fixes. No character changes, or anything like that.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
When has a Smash character ever been revealed outside of
A. a Nintendo Direct
B. a big general "gaming" event (E3, The Game Awards, etc.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
>Imying joker is bad
https://www.twitter.com/MLFoxwell/status/1076506631893069824

also hi hello I'm still here
You're aware that guy's only noteworthy personality trait is "Lol my opinion is different" right? He thinks Shovel Knight is bad and one of his issues was that it punishes death too harshly and still thinks 'lol look at all these anime swordsmen' jokes are still funny. Only reason anyone cares about him is that he works for source gaming like Smashschu and that he traces over artwork for his articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom