• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Has Sakurai ever outright said Mii Costume DLC were consolation and deconfirms a characters chances? Honestly can't remember.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Or what if Steve is the character, and Banjo is the Mii fighter costume?
I can really see it go either way...
Consider_The_Following.jpg

Steve is a literal blank slate that Minecraft players modify to suit their image better. By putting Steve in the Swordfighter role, you essentially (and Alex for the female Mii Fighter) give the Minecraft fans a way to play as him like you would any Mii creation. Bonus points if you can import your Minecraft skins and use those as well, since Mii Fighters offer more leeway for alternate outfits as opposed to the 8 alts per non-Mii Fighter.

Has Sakurai ever outright said Mii Costume DLC were consolation and deconfirms a characters chances? Honestly can't remember.
Refer to my last post regarding this:
You do realize that costumes of non-playable characters are consolation prizes, and that those characters were never confirmed playable in the same game they debuted in, right? Inklings and K.Rool in particular had outfits in Smash 4, and none of them were in that game's DLC line-up. Come on my guy, you're smarter than this.
It's just an educated guess at this point. Nothing contradicts this belief.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well considering the entire reason the Rex outfit exists is because they didn't have time to put him in, I think that's a pretty safe inferrence.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yeah, but having the bone just encourages them to reuse that bone over and over and over again. That character might not have gotten in in the first place, but I'm sure having an easy placeholder to easily carry over probably doesn't help their chances.

And while you may like that, I don't. And I'm tired of being told that that's good enough and that everyone should be grateful with the scraps they get.
Honestly I think it makes little different regardless of the easy placeholder or not at all, the character likely had little chance of being realized because Sakurai, Nintendo, and the the development team likely didn't considering it in the first place.

There never been a official statement on the matter that I am aware of, it's just a pattern of past behavior to draw off on.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Also, we've never had a Mii costume of a character become a full character within the same game. K. Rool, Chrom and Inkling took a full game to be upgraded. It's still ultimately just pattern speculation, but I don't anticipate it being broken.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
View attachment 182884
Steve is a literal blank slate that Minecraft players modify to suit their image better. By putting Steve in the Swordfighter role, you essentially (and Alex for the female Mii Fighter) give the Minecraft fans a way to play as him like you would any Mii creation. Bonus points if you can import your Minecraft skins and use those as well, since Mii Fighters offer more leeway for alternate outfits as opposed to the 8 alts per non-Mii Fighter.
Steve may be a blank slate, but limiting him to a Mii fighter costume would be such missed potential, assuming how unique his moveset could be...
Having a moveset focusing on terraforming and crafting would definitely be something new to the Smash series...
Imo, the best Smash characters are the ones who bring unique movesets and game mechanics with them...

D

Deleted member

Well considering the entire reason the Rex outfit exists is because they didn't have time to put him in, I think that's a pretty safe inferrence.
I took that more as base game than for DLC.

I'm not really into using these fan rules as guides for what can and can't be done with this series, as time and time again they're broken. I get it, it's all a part of speculation, but TBH I find it funny that these fan rules can't really ever be proven or disproven and we always get into these heated arguments about them.

Like, there's always an extreme in these discussions: A character has to either be a lock or completely deconfirmed, and if a leaker doesn't talk about 'em, get outta here. That, and this fan base likes to move in extremes. Geno was considered an obvious lock like 5 or so months ago, but now everyone's immediately jumped over to the "Never had a chance in the first place" side.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Noipoi

Howdy!
What's happening, Lads?

Are you listening to your hearts? Are you listening to the rain? Are you listening to the voices in your brain?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So theory:

If there are packs with thesecostumes, all of the 3rd party costumes will return along with new 3rd party ones and grouped by company.

So a mii costume pack would release alongside the Joker pack and have all the returning Sega costumes with new costumes that are 1st party & Sega. So in that case for characters:

1. Sega(Joker)
2. Namco(Lloyd/Yuri/Heihachi)
3. Square Enix(Sephiroth/DQ/Crono)
4. Capcom(Dante/Monster Hunter/Leon)
5.????(likely Microsoft)

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Steve may be a blank slate, but limiting him to a Mii fighter costume would be such missed potential, assuming how unique his moveset could be...
Having a moveset focusing on terraforming and crafting would definitely be something new to the Smash series...
Imo, the best Smash characters are the ones who bring unique movesets and game mechanics with them...
I'm not denying that. I'm only providing an alternative since Steve being playable is brought up far more often. Sakurai would need to take some artistic licenses with him though, like how to portray chipped-off stage props and additional polygons/platforms. With 103+ stages and the terraforming mechanic, that could potentially kill any odds of Stage Builder returning, at least Smash 4's version.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Yo, Galeem was a dope fight

I especially didn’t expect the suicide bomber fighter clones. That one threw me for a loop lmao.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ridley is canonically dead too but he’s still here.
If the plot demands it they'll somehow bring Ridley back. You need to like atomize every single fiber of his body to keep him dead for good. That's why his fellow Space Pirates manages to keep bringing him back due to that regenerative technology they possess.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm so bored right now...

Is there anything good to talk about?
Talk about what Smash Bros. should crossover with in a Vs. fighting game?

Super Smash Bros. vs. Jump Stars (I've even finalized my ideal roster) is a pipe dream of mine but its more likely then not it'd crossover with Capcom and people probably wants that one more.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Talk about what Smash Bros. should crossover with in a Vs. fighting game?

Super Smash Bros. vs. Jump Stars (I've even finalized my ideal roster) is a pipe dream of mine but its more likely then not it'd crossover with Capcom and people probably wants that one more.
Eh, that's not a bad idea. I'm just waiting for the DLC to crush every hope I thought I had at the moment.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Toad needs to get into Smash already.

He and Dixie Kong remain the most glaring omissions now for me.

I feel like Mario and Donkey Kong can't be complete without them.

Pauline to a lesser extent as well, but that's simply because she's the connection between the two titles and series.
Man Toad gets **** on by this fanbase and it annoys me to no end.

The fanbase constantly complains they want iconic characaters who have been around a long time and have shaped history. Characters that scream Nintendo and characters that provide stuff that no one else does.

Toad does literally all of that.

"Well yeah but he's lame..."

It's dumb.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even though I dropped the whole rivalry thing in my ideal game I thought for the fun of it to come up with as many rivalries as I can in my roster.

Mario (Super Mario Bros.) vs. Goku (Dragon Ball Z) - Mascots
Wario (WarioWare) vs. Gintoki Sakata (Gin Tama) - Greedy but lovable founders
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) vs. Blackbeard (One Piece) - Evil pirates
Link (The Legend of Zelda) vs. Jotaro Kujo (Jojo's Bizarre Adventures) - Stoic silent protagonists
Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda) vs. Dio Brando (Jojo's Bizarre Adventures) - Unkillable antagonists
Ridley (Metroid) vs. Frieza (Dragon Ball Z) - Genocidal aliens
Meta Knight (Kirby) vs. Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach) - Honorable rivals
Pikachu (Pokemon) vs. Killua Zoldyck (HunterxHunter) - Electric based fighters
Ness (EarthBound) vs. Gon Freecss (HunterxHunter) - Happy-Go-Lucky adventurous kids
Pit (Kid Icarus) vs. Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya) - Gods chosen champions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom