• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Some would be waaaaay too spoilery, and the first one is 100% not E10 friendly lol. Hard to say what it might be if it's a brand new boss.
I don't think there's going to be a boss...

But if there was,
The most obvious option would be a King Frost who summons little Jack Frosts for his attacks.

D

Deleted member

Mecha-Fiora is a part of Shulk's Final Smash, New Pork City is literally the last big area in Mother 3, I mean, what constitutes as spoiler territory for Smash? Lol
Atlus doesn't seem to like spoiling things, though. There's only two bosses I can think of for Joker that would make sense, and they're both endgame spoilers. I don't know if Atlus would be down for that or not.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So, that's interesting to say the least..now that we know that all of the DLC Newcomers will be from games brand new to Super Smash Bros, we can deconfirm anything that said Sephiroth, Edelgard, or Sylux since we already have Final Fantasy VII, Fire Emblem, and Metroid represented.

In other news, I only have Mewtwo left to unlock.
Game tried to have me unlock Cloud with frickin' Pichu at first..
Before, I firmly believed that spirits didn't deconfirm characters. However, if there aren't any spirits for Piranha Plant or Joker, then perhaps maybe they do.

I'd say Crash Bandicoot has a pretty good shot as far as Western-owned third parties go. His series is fairly popular in Japan.

I used to think Poochy was very likely as he is a very marketable character that could be used to promote an upcoming game on the Switch, but now I'm not so sure anymore. Man. Joker really caught me off guard.
As far as Western characters popular in Japan, yeah, Crash Bandicoot is very popular in Japan...however, it would be a case of a very unique situation since Crash has a distinctly different design in Japan then he does in the rest of the world.

Left: Japan, Right: Western

So Crash in Super Smash Bros. would have to be done in one of four ways..
1) Japanese Design, which would alienate Western Crash fans most likely.
2) Original Western Design, which would alienate Japanese fans most likely.
3) Incorporate both designs in a similar way as Alternate Costumes
4) Have One Design for Japan and One Design for the West

So it would depend on which one Nintendo/Sakurai would want to go with versus if they see it as worth the effort, particularly for a character that only recently returned to the limelight and even then only due to Remakes of his original three games (and now Crash Team Racing), so his future is slightly uncertain.

Honestly, I don't think Poochy is a very marketable character outside of being cute. Non-gamers aren't that likely to know who, or even what, Poochy is or what he's from..even some gamers may not know unless they are big Nintendo fans.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The day Sans Undertale gets in Smash, is the day I finally admit to myself that I've been in a coma for the last ten years of my life.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Lol. My mind just got blown.

So, that Persona 5 Character? Their game had a Smash reference.

The new Undertale game? Smash Reference.

One of Toon Link's tips?

I'm not 100% certain we're not going an Undertale rep and I don't know how I feel about this.
Kingdom hearts 3 had a huge smash reference too in the toy story world.

On a wall it had a list of games and I think said something like smash fighters

D

Deleted member

Also who else immediately bought the Fighter Pass after Joker's reveal?

LetterO

Smash Lord
Incineroar's recovery isn't as bad as it seems. It's pretty easy to recover as him unless you get knocked below the stage.

D

Deleted member

Gonna buy it either later tonight or tomorrow. Been too busy playing and seeing other people's reactions to the game, lol.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I was gonna buy it, regardless...
I have faith in Nintendo's choices.

Joker's inclusion just assured my hope in the DLC choices...

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Happy Smash Ultimate release day everyone! Thought I'd drop by and show you guys my artwork I made for this very special occasion. My first hype cycle has been amazing and I'm so excited for the DLC portion!
image1.jpeg

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Of course

went from "out for delivery, arriving by 9 PM" to "on the way but may be late"

If I wasn't such a freaking cheapskate I wouldn't even be buying from Amazon any more since "release date delivery" isn't a thing really

D

Deleted member

Just unlocked K Rool, he's hilarious.
He's the best. His Up Smash is a blessing we don't deserve.

Also, that Back Air is the best gosh darn move in the whole game. It's so stinkin' slick whenever you land it just right.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
People in the smash community have a really myopic view of video games if they dont think persona isnt already pretty popular lmao. It's like the minecraft steve stuff gave people brain worms and made them think that you need to sell over 100 million copies to be worthy of smash. Like ive seen people call devil may cry and obscure series that is memed into fake popularity by people as part of a conspiracy (yes really). The tales games are also a victim of this as if the series isnt a jrpg legend and people didnt hard clamour for lloyd in the brawl days. I agree some picks like lara croft and overwatch rep make no sense but persona is an example of something that fits despite mostly being on playstation.

I wouldnt be surprised if the roster is straight up 5 3rd parties at this point. I believe Dante, Banjo and a Tales character are all likely, along with maybe Crash or Travis Touchdown.

Also smash reminded me i bought persona 5 and never played it. They better not announce a better version on switch right as i beat the game lmao.

EDIT: shame we wont see jack frost bc of this tho.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Friendly reminder for those with physical copies: don't forget to register your copy to join the plant gang

I was going to buy that today... but I think I'm waiting for my next big payment, and since Joker is probably not coming out for a good while I think I'm alright

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It's need to be clarified that Reggie said that "all DLC are characters new to the series". I do believe all DLC will be from new 3rd party IPs though.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Reminder that Nintendo thought that Poochy was popular enough to put his name on the 3DS port of Woolly World as well as extra content centered around him, regardless of your feelings of Yoshi's games...

Shroob

Sup?
How does the Piranha Plant code work anyhow?

Do you enter it as soon as you get it or do you have to keep it until Plant releases?

khfan93

Smash Cadet
People in the smash community have a really myopic view of video games if they dont think persona isnt already pretty popular lmao. It's like the minecraft steve stuff gave people brain worms and made them think that you need to sell over 100 million copies to be worthy of smash.
Persona is probably more popular than Fire Emblem. Like honestly any arguments about how popular a character needs to be to get in should be settled by the fact that Fire Emblem has almost as many characters as Pokemon and Mario.

D

Deleted member

How does the Piranha Plant code work anyhow?

Do you enter it as soon as you get it or do you have to keep it until Plant releases?
You enter it as soon as you get it, and it will automatically give you Piranha Plant when he releases.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... a random question about Joker...

How is Japan reacting?

Are they just as surprised and excited as us?

D

Deleted member

I dunno if I'm going in on Dante just yet.

Isn't the only reason he's been discussed here because of that old 4chan post? I mean, I could legit see it happening now after Joker, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm still unsure every fighter is gonna be third-party. I feel like one of 'em's gonna be a first party fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom