• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I love how "Game balance adjustments" and "Various gameplay fixes" appears to have returned to the changelog, according to the 1.1.0 patch. Seems like patch notes for characters may not be a thing, but I guess we'll have to wait. Still funny.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Lucky you.

I lost K Rool and i'm still kicking myself for it.
Remember though, this was not my copy of the game, I was playing on someone else’s copy.

I’ll still have to re-unlock all these characters when I get my hands on the game myself.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ya'll know that there's an option that lets you refight challenges you lost against, right?

It even appears on a Menu.
Yeah but it only shows up every so often. And if you lose it disappears and you have to wait.

Anyways, I'm back after unlocking all of the characters. It only took me a couple of HOURS. These are easily the worst unlock methods in the entire franchise. Sm4sh and Brawl got it pretty right, and Ultimate got it absolutely wrong. The timer system purposefully slows progression, and having no capability to immediately refight fighters you lose to makes it worse.

Also the CPUs are ****in' hard towards the end lol. That's not a bad thing, but with the unlock methods in this game it's annoying. I was lucky to get Shulk (who's good now) so I could use Monado Buster and Smash to get some cheese victories. I had to bust out Cloud (who is still good) towards the end to get my last couple of wins.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
After watching some videos and reading some threads, I can sincerely conclude that World of Light Hard Mode looks like some complete bull**** (as in very difficult).

D

Deleted member

If DLC is focused solely on 3rd Parties I can easily see us getting stuff like Dark Souls and Skyrim characters. Personally hoping the Square character ends up being Crono and that Phoenix Wright manages to sneak in.

I expect a February Direct to show us our first Joker gameplay and then have a teaser for the next character. I'm interested to see what Nintendo's kdea was for the DLC characters.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Here's an updated compilation of my thoughts/arguments on KOS-MOS in light of the Joker announcement

1) KOS-MOS is from Xenosaga, Namco crossovers (various ones) and Xenoblade 2 is her latest appearance in a main Xeno game as a cameo. I believe that KOS-MOS is relevant for the following reasons in DLC. Keep in mind that there is NOTHING confirmed and these are all my opinions/speculation. She is a crossover character Queen. She has featured in many crossover games such as Mugen no frontier super robot taisen ds, Project x zone 1 and 2 on DS. In 2 she is paired with Fiora who is like her future inspirational design as they both have similar abilities. Some other cameos such as Namco X capcom, Soulcalibur III, and Tales are also games KOS-MOS appears in.

2) She is relevant in terms of Nintendo. KOS-MOS, despite not being a Nintendo character has received a different design that is better suited for Nintendo in Xenoblade 2. She is much less sexualized, her gattling guns were changed to laser guns, and she maintains a few of her iconic moves and most notably R blade, and X buster. In terms of KOS-MOS VS Elma, I feel that Elma lost her chance now cause the base game is finished and Elma's cameo in Xenoblade 2 was too late to be featured in smash dlc. Of course, both characters can still get in as KOS-MOS is a Namco rep and Elma is a xeno rep but let's consider that if Elma was going to be chosen then she would have been in the base game. Also, KOS-MOS's new design is marketed more going forward. If you look at it this way... KOS-MOS is receiving a scale figure to be released soon and she was featured in artwork in Torna. UPDATE: Elma could possibly out as she's already a spirit represented in smash and Reggie said all new unexpected representatives.

3) T-ELOS's return. T-ELOS despite not being featured since P X Z 2 in a game was also redesigned for Xenoblade 2. We can see here the relations are going well with Namco enough for them to revive two new characters to be put into Monolith soft's game since they are the original creators.

4) Joker: Joker's inclusion is huge. He is not a rep that we could ever see coming (fitting for a phantom thief). Reggie explained that the remaining 4 dlc characters or the entire dlc line for Ultimate will be COMPLETELY NEW FIGHTERS without a series already repped in smash. With this in mind, KOS-MOS's chances have skyrocketed because she's a Namco rep and would have her OWN symbol. If they do not want a Xenoblade rep in the dlc now then KOS-MOS can fill both slots for Namco and Xeno. KOS-MOS would be unique with her own symbol, stage (Abel's ark) etc. If Persona can get in when Joker only has one appearance on Nintendo that is JPN only then KOS-MOS has the chances now as well. You wouldn't ever thought Persona was getting in and KOS-MOS is in even more crossovers and also has her 2 main games out of 3 on DS in JPN only. That doesnt matter as shown by Joker now. Her cameos and moveset should make her enough to be a out of nowhere pick.

5) Heihachi and Lloyd were better suited for the base game, while KOS-MOS is better suited for dlc. If Sakurai wanted either in then he would have took note of the mii costumes he made and turned them into fighters. Heihachi and Lloyd received mii outfits in Smash 4 which made them very relevant for the base game. KOS-MOS's cameo in Xenoblade 2 is more recent for dlc given that she was launch Xenoblade 2 content and MARKETED with the game. She was a spoiler people could discover on their own but KOS-MOS RE was publicly marketed by Nintendo and Monolith on twitter and various News sites. This means that Sakurai is likely aware of KOS-MOS. The only thing KOS-MOS had going for her in the base game was her P X Z 2 cameo. Xenoblade 2 cameo strengthens her chances. UPDATE: Lloyd and KOS-MOS can get in simultaneously now that we know there are potentially more than 1 dlc challenger pack and Joker has shown that 2 Sega dlc reps was possible even though Bayonetta is not dlc for ultimate... she was dlc for smash wii U.

6) Why would Nintendo chose KOS-MOS? Sakurai has said he loves Xenoblade 2 so much in interviews and he gave Rex the Mii costume treatment. It's possible that since KOS-MOS is a namco rep that he'd have her as the representative chosen by Nintendo as she was marketed for the game. This is my speculation but I think it rings true nowadays.

7) Xenosaga HD remaster rumours: Back in April, Namco refiled a trademark for Xenosaga Episode III and we have heard nothing about it yet which could mean we could see a reveal next year. UPDATE: If KOS-MOS is planned for season 2 then it's possible we could see a Xenosaga remaster given the rumours.

8) Takahashi already expressed interest in reviving Xenosaga if someone can fund it back in 2017. We got the trademark of episode III again in April 2018 which might mean he could be up to something.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I have a fun game for you all, Make a teaser (Like how Joker was revealed.) for your most wanted character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
> Sakurai: "We streamlined character unlocks"
> Adds a ten minute cooldown timer
> Makes unlock challenges more difficult as you progress
> Locks any characters you failed to unlock behind a door that only becomes available on random occasions.

Sakurai's definition of "Streamlining" sound funny.., good thing K.Rool's dash attack and down Smash super armor helped me cheese through most of them though. Eitherway, glad that's over with now that I've unlocked everyone but next time, I think I'd rather Sakurai just goes back to the old formula of character unlocks...

I've taken care of the majority of classic mode now, I think I'll wrap that up first before I get on with WoL.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'd like a World of Light randomizer where the character locations (and maybe more) are randomized

Dan

Smash Lord
Wow, this is disheartening: how in God's name do I just play a standard For Glory match? I understand no such option exists, but there surely must be a preference, right? The interface is absolute trash. Sm4sh literally had a better interface.

Pyr

Smash Lord
4) Joker: Joker's inclusion is huge. He is not a rep that we could ever see coming (fitting for a phantom thief). Reggie explained that the remaining 4 dlc characters or the entire dlc line for Ultimate will be COMPLETELY NEW FIGHTERS without a series already repped in smash.
This just made me realize that this deconfirms Geno. Geno would go to the Mario series. Sad day.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So, now we know for sure that DLC characters can come after the 2015 date.

I wonder what happened to Rex.
Persona 5 was released in Japan in September 2016 while Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was December 2017, so 1.3 years apart. I think Joker made it in at the right time just before Rex. So I think around September 2016 is the deadline for DLC newcomers.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I'd like a World of Light randomizer where the character locations (and maybe more) are randomized
That would be cool, but a lot of the battles are clearly built around the world map (racers at the racetrack, water-relevant fights near water, location of certain spirits like Bomberman relevant to game progress, etc), so I'm not sure it would really work.

D

Deleted member

I have a fun game for you all, Make a teaser (Like how Joker was revealed.) for your most wanted character.
The screen starts pitch black, the ticking of a clock is heard. We see a pendulum in the screen going from one side to another, it then cuts to a clock, working normally, in a desolate land. A letter sealed with the Smash logo is seen being blown by the wind but then it suddenly stops in place as the clock rings and as both of the clock hands reach the top. The clock then starts moving backwards, with the ticking being reversed, the letter goes back to where it was and the reversal gets proggressively faster, with the clock hands moving so fast they're spinning. The letter gets itself stuck in one of the hands of the clock and time goes back to normal, the landscape is now a green forest with birds singing and light shining the clock brightly.

A hand reaches out for the letter and takes it out of the clock. A red spiky haired boy opens the letter, it then cuts to his face, his eyes obscured, but a smile can be seen in his face.
He turns backwards and sees a portal open behind him, Smash fighters popping out of it. He readies his katana and takes a step towards them as lightning starts to surround him. He takes a battle stance and dashes towards the camera, ending the trailer.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So I've been hearing that Buck Bumble's a Spirit... can someone confirm this for me? If so, that's a pretty deep cut.. Especially since it's a pretty niche Ubisoft IP

Last edited:

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
The trailer starts with what looks to be basic gameplay footage of Yoshi, Wario, Daisy, and Luigi fighting it out. Yoshi and Daisy are struggling to get the upper hand on one another, while an Assist Trophy item appears near Luigi after forcing Wario off the stage. Luigi picks it up, believing his summon will give Wario no chance to survive. He walks away without seeing who he has summoned thinking he has finished off Wario for sure, and the screen pans away from Wario and the Assist Trophy.

As he readies his fireball to attack Yoshi, he is blindsided by some sweet chin music in the form of a big orange shoe. Quickly panning out, the camera shows that "Waluigi Finally Wins!"

He proceeds to smash away Yoshi's egg toss with his tennis racket, and twirls away (his form of a counter special) from Daisy's exploding hip attack, causing her to trip. Luigi, now conscious once more, attempts to surprise Waluigi from a platform above, but the purple man won't be turned away. He uses his incredibly lengthy legs to launch himself into a very high uppercut punch similar to Luigi's. He lands it beautifully right on the chin, and Luigi is sent flying into the stratosphere. Wario and Waluigi fist bump one another as the scene looks to end, but wait...Waluigi is in luck, as he has found the smash ball. With his eyes glowing, he turns to his remaining foes and laughs in his signature "WAHAHA YAAAAA" and the screen fades to black, building the suspense as players begin guessing what his Final Smash could be.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
The screen starts pitch black, the ticking of a clock is heard. We see a pendulum in the screen going from one side to another, it then cuts to a clock, working normally, in a desolate land. A letter sealed with the Smash logo is seen being blown by the wind but then it suddenly stops in place as the clock rings and as both of the clock hands reach the top. The clock then starts moving backwards, with the ticking being reversed, the letter goes back to where it was and the reversal gets proggressively faster, with the clock hands moving so fast they're spinning. The letter gets itself stuck in one of the hands of the clock and time goes back to normal, the landscape is now a green forest with birds singing and light shining the clock brightly.

A hand reaches out for the letter and takes it out of the clock. A red spiky haired boy opens the letter, it then cuts to his face, his eyes obscured, but a smile can be seen in his face.
He turns backwards and sees a portal open behind him, Smash fighters popping out of it. He readies his katana and takes a step towards them as lightning starts to surround him. He takes a battle stance and dashes towards the camera, ending the trailer.
If you wanna you can post this to the teaser thread i made above your post

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
So I've been hearing that Buck Bumble's a Spirit... can someone confirm this for me? If so, that's a pretty deep cut.. Especially since it's a pretty niche Ubisoft IP
He's not in the base game, and I don't think he was added in the patch, I think it was just Let's Go and Mario Party spirits, so I don't think it's true.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
That would be cool, but a lot of the battles are clearly built around the world map (racers at the racetrack, water-relevant fights near water, location of certain spirits like Bomberman relevant to game progress, etc), so I'm not sure it would really work.
Well the characters aren't, which is why I sort of divided it. I imagine going farther than characters would be harder, but I still think it could be done, at least to some extent.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Mario and Link are seen fighting, that goes on for about 15 seconds. After one beats the other, it swaps to the Scribblenauts artstyle. It turns out Maxwell summoned the two to see who would win in a fight. After a second, an exclamation mark appears above his head. He get's out his notebook and applies an adjective to himself.

"PLAYABLE"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom