• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LetterO

Smash Lord
How does it make it go down? Either of them still have good chances, considering Sega now has 3 Unique characters. And that 2014 rumor I believe was about the Tales rep not the DLC choices which someone mentioned a few days ago.

In other news, they finally added Mr. Game & Watch's blog update outside of Japan.

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/blog/index.html?category=cat02_fighter_26
They still have a chance but the only reason they were recently talked about and regarded as more likely was because of the two insiders on this thread who also said that "no fighters after 2014 are being considered".

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
They still have a chance but the only reason they were recently talked about and regarded as more likely was because of the two insiders on this thread who also said that "no fighters after 2014 are being considered".
Are they really insiders tho

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
There's multiple.

The online for Ultimate is about as good as it was in Brawl, and that's no exaggeration. There's nothing good about it. It's just as laggy, and there's no convenient way to play competitively. It's just lazy, that's all it is.
If you double stack them does it cause twice the effects or no? Because I have Snorlax and another Spirit that both reduce strong winds.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If you double stack them does it cause twice the effects or no? Because I have Snorlax and another Spirit that both reduce strong winds.
Not sure, I never played around with double stacking spirits. I never even heard of it, lol. If you equip yourself with a wind-resistant spirit, you'll be pushed back slightly by the wind, so there's not really a need for two.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright after playing online for about 2 hours, I can straight up say...

"How the **** did you make it worse than Smash 4's?"

LetterO

Smash Lord
I think the Online is alright. I haven't had really bad lag yet (though I have had lag), and I like the preferred rules setting unless the game just completely disregards it and puts you in a FFA Timed Match.

D

Deleted member

If people dislike the online so much, start complaining about it in social medias where Nintendo can see it and have competitive players voice the problems with it.
Honestly, For Glory with added BF forms into the stage mix would have been good enough but to only have preferred rules makes things really hard.
People who are having trouble with online, did you try making your own lobbies? People are saying that works way better.
I think the issue is that it doesn't fall under Elite Smash which are the matches Nintendo will use out to balance the game.
Correct me if I'm wrong and if I am then yeah, just play on lobbies. I hear you can effectivelly set a stage list by setting your random stage selection to only those you want beforehand.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
HAHAHAHAHA

Watching Zer0 try to get a 1v1 and he just got hit with 5 FFAs in a row.
Ooooooooh I have... not much to look forward to.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Zinith Zinith will be happy to know that his boi won in my Just-For-Fun Original 8 Showdown, followed by Samus in Second, Pikachu & Kirby in 3rd, Donkey Kong in 5th, Fox in 6th, Link in 7th, and Mario in 8th.

Meanwhile, the 3rd Party Fight (except Ken & Richter) when with Bayonetta winning followed by Mega Man in 2nd, Ryu in 3rd, Pac-Man in 4th, Snake & Sonic in 5th, Cloud in 7th, and Simon in 8th.
The "unexpected character" aspect makes me feel like Vergeben was right about Steve and possibly Sephiroth/Crono/whoever.
Nope, its not going to be Sephiroth, Reggie said characters from new games not yet represented, so no new Final Fantasy VII (and likely Final Fantasy as a whole) characters.

As for Vergeben..take everything he says with a grain of salt from here on out, he had nearly everything right about Dragonball FighterZ too until it came time for DLC, then he only got 2 right and made several very incorrect guesses.

Last edited:
Come again?
That's not true, actually. He didn't say "all the characters will be from new series", he said all the characters will be "new to Smash Ultimate", which means all the DLC will be newcomers, which we already knew.
He said 'new to the series' but many people apparently heard 'from new series'.

Reggie DLC talk.

Just a nuance on what 「Hinata」said but i think he was talking about the Smash series as a whole.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I was reading some old texts we have here about Tamagotchi , and i found this:

"Sodatete! Konchuu Ousha Mushi King"
A SEGA Tamagotchi developed by Masahiro Sakurai

It's a Tamagotchi ( Virtual Pet )
Based on the Bandai ones that had battles with Digimon.
But instead they used Beetles.

Aparently Sakurai loved to play Digimon Virtual Pets.

You can find a article for it here:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2005/12/15/sakurai-works-on-mushi-king

Image of one:
img_0.jpg

D

Deleted member

Psst.
Use background matchmaking. It's sad that we need a workaround for this online, but I've consistently gotten my preferred rules when I use it instead of quickplay.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Zinith Zinith will be happy to know that his boi won in my Just-For-Fun Original 8 Showdown, followed by Samus in Second, Pikachu & Kirby in 3rd, Donkey Kong in 5th, Fox in 6th, Link in 7th, and Mario in 8th.

Nope, its not going to be Sephiroth, Reggie said characters from new games not yet represented, so no new Final Fantasy VII (and likely Final Fantasy as a whole) characters.

As for Vergeben..take everything he says with a grain of salt from here on out, he had nearly everything right about Dragonball FighterZ too until it came time for DLC, then he only got 2 right and made several very incorrect guesses.
They were kind of cheating for main game with Fighterz too since a few characters didnt get added to their list until they were accidentally leaked by the company and tried to claim that Goku Black was finished and could have been DLC

Dan

Smash Lord
Do online matches with the ****ty matchmaking contribute to unlocking characters, or do I have to play through the soulless WoL? Loners gonna have a hard time with this one.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Can I just really quickly point out that while I am absolutely insanely in love with this game that the online is absolutely horrendous?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Do online matches with the ****ty matchmaking contribute to unlocking characters, or do I have to play through the soulless WoL? Loners gonna have a hard time with this one.
Do the "close-game-suicide" method to unlock everyone.
At this point you shoud've gotten the "distance" requirements, so it'll be a nonstop blitz of character matches.
Still a pain in the ass, buuuuuuuuut, less of a pain than doing classic or WoL.

I haven't even tried online yet and you're scaring me away
Unless you're a competitive player, you probably shouldn't give a ****.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Is Dr. Mario just god like in Ultimate or am I just way better at him than I thought? Most of my matches are over in no time with him.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I feel like the phrase "characters you wouldn't expect to see" also means little, other than maybe characters outside of our hardcore Smash bubble. Everyone saying that Joker bodes well for popularly speculated characters like Geno is in for a rude awakening if you ask me. I feel like it also tilts DLC towards third parties, which, surprise surprise, I've been predicting since the start. I'm sticking with my age-old predictions:
Square Enix character: Despite many believing leakers have been BTFO, I still believe in an Square Enix character. Too many people have heard about it for it NOT to happen. As to who it'll be, I can't tell you one way or another, other than likely not Geno (that's my own speculation at this point), given that "the list" has likely gone out the window at this point given how Nintendo has shown itself to be capable of spreading convincing misinformation. It could be Sora, who would certainly be unexpected by many due to him being owned by Disney, Erdrick/DQ Hero due to them being designed by Akira Toriyama and the cultural icon status of Dragon Quest in Japan combined with Square Enix's push to get the series popular worldwide (refer to Calane Calane for more evidence), Lara Croft for being a similar icon of video gaming, having a movie series based off of her among other iconic feats, or another Final Fantasy character like Terra or Bartz, who aren't commonly speculated and would make Final Fantasy the first third party series to have two unique characters.

Why not Geno? He has no relevance and Square Enix have shown themselves to be all about having relevant characters in crossovers (see Noctis in Tekken and 2B in Soul Calibur 6, refer to A.G.L. A.G.L. for further evidence). In comparison to other popular Smash picks like Ridley and K. Rool he lacks overwhelming popularity and compared to other third parties he lacks a icon status, at best having cult popularity. And before you argue "but Joker is niche" he represents Persona, one of the most popular JRPG series, and is from a game of the year competitor known for revitalizing interest in the entire genre, AND Shin Megami Tensei, a historical and iconic series with strong ties to Nintendo. Unless something happened behind the scenes for Nintendo to buy the rights to the SMRPG crew I don't see Square Enix playing ball for Geno over someone else like Lara Croft or Erdrick. While Sakurai may have said he's wanted Geno in since Brawl, if Geno wasn't on the list of characters presented to him by Nintendo, there's nothing he can do. And before anyone accuses me of Geno bashing (because I surely will be), I like Geno perfectly fine, and I'd be happy for his fans if he got in, they've waited long enough and now's Geno's best chance to get in. That being said, I don't think he's likely, and I think anyone who thinks he's a given will likely be sorely surprised.

Lloyd Irving: This guy is the closest thing we have to a lock right now in my opinion. He's mysteriously absent from any reference (Heihachi is now a reference in Pac-Man's Namco Bandai taunt), Tales of is a massive series, spawning multiple anime and manga series, novelizations, CD dramas and radio specials, and an entire theatrical film. The series also apparently has/had a theme park attraction, but I have no source for that. While most of it's popularity is in Japan, it has better worldwide success than Dragon Quest, and that's thanks to Tales of Symphonia, the breakout game that got the series into the West. Nintendo worked closely alongside Namco Bandai to market the game, and Tales of Symphonia is closely associated with Nintendo because of that, making Lloyd a natural pick. While Sakurai chose Cloud over Nintendo Final Fantasy picks Terra, Bartz, etc., he stated that Lloyd is the natural pick for a Tales of rep. Namco Bandai, despite developing the game, still only has one character while Capcom, Konami, and Sega all have three (Gee Sega, why does your mom let YOU have three unique characters), which makes the inclusion of another Namco rep incredibly easy.

Microsoft Rep: This one is either going to be Steve or Banjo & Kazooie. The argument comes down to Minecraft being a cultural icon and Banjo & Kazooie being more popular within the core fanbase. Despite my argument against Geno's vocal fanbase, I believe that the Banjo fans could potentially pull off his inclusion due to them being heard and acknowledged by Phil Swift. That being said, Minecraft is why Nintendo and Microsoft are so close to begin with, which makes Steve the more likely pick in my opinion.

???: I'm not gonna make an attempt to guess this one. My typical guess would be DOOM Slayer, but I acknowledge that it could be Phoenix Wright, Dante, Rayman, or someone else not even expected like Spiderman lol

Can you tell I got tired of typing after Lloyd? Lol.

Klonoa4Smash2018

Smash Rookie
I was pretty surprised Joker is getting in. I am not to familiar with the Persona series. But i want to try it someday.

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
You know guys, Joker's reveal made me think a bit, and I think I got to one really wild prediction that might come true at this point XD
An Assassin's Creed MC

I mean, just think about it, Ubisoft and Nintendo are super buddies right now and we have a lot of Rayman/Rabbids related spirits already, it isn't that far fetched tbh (note that I'm not really pushing for it, I haven't even played any of those games, it just made sense in my head)

Shroob

Sup?
I'm sure they'll fix the online..... sooner than later.

Give them anywhere from a few weeks to a month, game just launched and ofc it's gonna be rough.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Hmm..another thought occurs to me when it comes to Joker being in Super Smash Bros Ultimate..again, in regards to music.
As I said previously, I wonder if they'll stick to only Persona 5 or also include at least the battle tracks from Persona 1-4 and Shin Megami Tensei If..but now I'm also wondering if they might put in some songs from Persona Q2 or some of the remixes from Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight.
I also really hope they keep the lyrics in the Persona songs unlike the Bayonetta ones or His World from Sonic '06 which lost their lyrics.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm sure they'll fix the online..... sooner than later.

Give them anywhere from a few weeks to a month, game just launched and ofc it's gonna be rough.
You know, I said that about a lot of functionality non-character things in the early Smash 4 days.
Well, no more.

I expect nothing from Nintendo's online and I can either be confirmed in my beliefs or be pleasantly surprised.

Shroob

Sup?
You know, I said that about a lot of functionality non-character things in the early Smash 4 days.
Well, no more.

I expect nothing from Nintendo's online and I can either be confirmed in my beliefs or be pleasantly surprised.
I mean, that's why I added the uncertainty to my post.

If it's as bad as we say it is(I can't confirm since I don't own a Switch, but I'll take all your word for it), take it to social media. They're not going to want the online scene to be a ****show for their arguably biggest game.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
You know guys, Joker's reveal made me think a bit, and I think I got to one really wild prediction that might come true at this point XD
An Assassin's Creed MC

I mean, just think about it, Ubisoft and Nintendo are super buddies right now and we have a lot of Rayman/Rabbids related spirits already, it isn't that far fetched tbh (note that I'm not really pushing for it, I haven't even played any of those games, it just made sense in my head)
It's possible, but I would be so very sad if Ubisoft got a character in Smash and it was anyone other than Rayman himself.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The DLC characters are likely going to be 3rd party fan favorite darkhorse characters that have familiarity in gaming circles on both sides of the Pacific and getting the rights(character, Stage, music, and spirits) won't be such a big hassle. Joker fits that bill rather nicely.

It's also why my specific 3rd party predictions are Lloyd/Tales, Ryu Hayabusa, and Dante.

Last edited:

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
He said 'new to the series' but many people apparently heard 'from new series'.

Reggie DLC talk.

Just a nuance on what 「Hinata」said but i think he was talking about the Smash series as a whole.
i have the full thing Reggie stated at the VGAs in text format, it took me awhile to do and starts right at the beginning of that timestamp in the video you linked

"Amazing alright so uh, you said Challenger Pack 1, so these are the the DLC fighters that will come out?" -Geoff Keighly

"correct, and so this gives you a flavor of how we're approaching the DLC"
"so the DLC, there's gonna be 5 characters, each character will come with a stage, it'll come with a collection of music."
"these are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate"
"we're super excited about this, the fans can go and they get the fighters pass to get all of the 5 fighters that'll be coming to the series, we're tremendously excited" -Reggie Fils Aime

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Is the online really that bad? Between that and the inability to save replays I'm a bit worried.
Based on my experience the past two days, it's pretty bad. At least on "with anyone".

I would have thought your pre-set preferences would be more than safe with the thousands of of people who are playing the same "tourney" ruleset as you, but no, the game still seems to like to think "Okay so you actually meant 3 stock 4 players on hazardless stages right?"

And then it will continue to do that for about 5 more games until it MAYBE actually gives you a 1 on 1 this time. Then the person leaves and you're back to 4 players again, even though you double checked to prioritize one on one

Thankfully Arenas are the closest thing to a saving grace it has, since you can make those public. Problem is, there's only one arena PER ROOM, so everyone else has to wait while the ones inside fight and rotate out the loser.

Don't get me started on the lag I've been having either. There's been a lot, and I know most of it isn't me.

Yeah... This isn't okay.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
PSA:
Turn your Stick Sensitivity to HIGH.

SSBU introduces a new buffering system which means high sensitivity is more accurate while low sensitivity will buffer a bunch of your moves so you get **** you don't want.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's been one day since Ultimate's release. How had you guys enjoyed the game? Is it as you expected it to be? Ultimate?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's been one day since Ultimate's release. How had you guys enjoyed the game? Is it as you expected it to be? Ultimate?
Fun game.
Too bad playing online is a coinflip between a gamemode you actually want and 4 player FFA on 75m.
And like, 9/10 coins are the same both ways.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
PSA:
Turn your Stick Sensitivity to HIGH.

SSBU introduces a new buffering system which means high sensitivity is more accurate while low sensitivity will buffer a bunch of your moves so you get **** you don't want.
I thought something felt off. Thanks for pointing that out.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I feel like the phrase "characters you wouldn't expect to see" also means little, other than maybe characters outside of our hardcore Smash bubble. Everyone saying that Joker bodes well for popularly speculated characters like Geno is in for a rude awakening if you ask me. I feel like it also tilts DLC towards third parties, which, surprise surprise, I've been predicting since the start. I'm sticking with my age-old predictions:
Square Enix character: Despite many believing leakers have been BTFO, I still believe in an Square Enix character. Too many people have heard about it for it NOT to happen. As to who it'll be, I can't tell you one way or another, other than likely not Geno (that's my own speculation at this point), given that "the list" has likely gone out the window at this point given how Nintendo has shown itself to be capable of spreading convincing misinformation. It could be Sora, who would certainly be unexpected by many due to him being owned by Disney, Erdrick/DQ Hero due to them being designed by Akira Toriyama and the cultural icon status of Dragon Quest in Japan combined with Square Enix's push to get the series popular worldwide (refer to Calane Calane for more evidence), Lara Croft for being a similar icon of video gaming, having a movie series based off of her among other iconic feats, or another Final Fantasy character like Terra or Bartz, who aren't commonly speculated and would make Final Fantasy the first third party series to have two unique characters.

Why not Geno? He has no relevance and Square Enix have shown themselves to be all about having relevant characters in crossovers (see Noctis in Tekken and 2B in Soul Calibur 6, refer to A.G.L. A.G.L. for further evidence). In comparison to other popular Smash picks like Ridley and K. Rool he lacks overwhelming popularity and compared to other third parties he lacks a icon status, at best having cult popularity. And before you argue "but Joker is niche" he represents Persona, one of the most popular JRPG series, and is from a game of the year competitor known for revitalizing interest in the entire genre, AND Shin Megami Tensei, a historical and iconic series with strong ties to Nintendo. Unless something happened behind the scenes for Nintendo to buy the rights to the SMRPG crew I don't see Square Enix playing ball for Geno over someone else like Lara Croft or Erdrick. While Sakurai may have said he's wanted Geno in since Brawl, if Geno wasn't on the list of characters presented to him by Nintendo, there's nothing he can do. And before anyone accuses me of Geno bashing (because I surely will be), I like Geno perfectly fine, and I'd be happy for his fans if he got in, they've waited long enough and now's Geno's best chance to get in. That being said, I don't think he's likely, and I think anyone who thinks he's a given will likely be sorely surprised.

Lloyd Irving: This guy is the closest thing we have to a lock right now in my opinion. He's mysteriously absent from any reference (Heihachi is now a reference in Pac-Man's Namco Bandai taunt), Tales of is a massive series, spawning multiple anime and manga series, novelizations, CD dramas and radio specials, and an entire theatrical film. The series also apparently has/had a theme park attraction, but I have no source for that. While most of it's popularity is in Japan, it has better worldwide success than Dragon Quest, and that's thanks to Tales of Symphonia, the breakout game that got the series into the West. Nintendo worked closely alongside Namco Bandai to market the game, and Tales of Symphonia is closely associated with Nintendo because of that, making Lloyd a natural pick. While Sakurai chose Cloud over Nintendo Final Fantasy picks Terra, Bartz, etc., he stated that Lloyd is the natural pick for a Tales of rep. Namco Bandai, despite developing the game, still only has one character while Capcom, Konami, and Sega all have three (Gee Sega, why does your mom let YOU have three unique characters), which makes the inclusion of another Namco rep incredibly easy.

Microsoft Rep: This one is either going to be Steve or Banjo & Kazooie. The argument comes down to Minecraft being a cultural icon and Banjo & Kazooie being more popular within the core fanbase. Despite my argument against Geno's vocal fanbase, I believe that the Banjo fans could potentially pull off his inclusion due to them being heard and acknowledged by Phil Swift. That being said, Minecraft is why Nintendo and Microsoft are so close to begin with, which makes Steve the more likely pick in my opinion.

???: I'm not gonna make an attempt to guess this one. My typical guess would be DOOM Slayer, but I acknowledge that it could be Phoenix Wright, Dante, Rayman, or someone else not even expected like Spiderman lol

Can you tell I got tired of typing after Lloyd? Lol.
I'm feeling pretty similarly at this point. I'm starting to think Crash might actually have a decent chance as well, whereas previously i had written him off. At this point if I were to make I prediction, I would guess The Luminary/Slime, Banjo, Lloyd, and Crash. Perhaps Heihachi if they decide to revisit that idea.

I'm hoping that, given the likelihood of at least a DLC pack 2, that the next one will have more of a focus on 1st party reps. We shall see though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom