• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Maybe the competitive scene won't necessarily need this that much, if it all, but that doesn't stop this feature from having its utilities...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
While I like the Spirits from a gameplay aspect, I'm really disappointed with how they're treated from a gallery perspective, especially in terms of learning about the character. One of the big things I loved about trophies was that every time I got one I could go to the Trophy and look up everything about the character, their role in the story, and what game they were from, which got me invested in the character and sometimes even made me want to go and find out more about them (that's how I got into FE and Metroid for instance). Spirits don't have that, when you acquire a Spirit what you see is what you get: a picture of the character and their function in the mode, that's it. There's no lore, story role, and little about the games that they're from, which limits how much information they can give and little to invest in the characters overall, and not having that aspect is a big loss. I do understand why that cut was made, but it doesn't mean I'm not sad to see it go nonetheless.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
All this censoring is CERO's fault, not Ninty, even Sakurai was exasperated at them.

-https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/18/cero-and-palutenas-censorship/

This is one of my favorite Sakurai quotes. Straight up burning them
If Palutena/Peach/Snake wants to show off then there shouldn’t be a problem from CERO...them fools
Thank you gang...thank you

I'm still hoping Spirits don't necessarily deconfirm, but there's a lot more going against Geno than that right now.
Means a lot that you guys let me know though, really

Putting this on blast
Just because I didn’t get Shadow doesn’t mean another warrior needs to fall down

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Yes, however there's an possible explanation for those, too. Both Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini have alternate Japanese titles, Blast Dozer and Star Twins, respectively. And it appears that while Nintendo obviously doesn't own those IPs, they may still own the copyright on those titles. It's possible there might have been an internal mixup and someone might have thought they owned those franchises.
That's fan theory crafting... There's zero evidence to give credence to that being the actual reason.

D

Deleted member

Wait so the Sigma spirit possesses the Ganon boss? That’s rad as ****. Giving my man proper respect
No, it's Ganondorf, not the Ganon boss.
It's a skin that has a similar color to Sigma and he wields a Beam Sword at the start of the fight. His Smash attacks were also dealing, likez 30% or something, poor leaker got stuck there for a long time.
Thoughts about this DLC pack:

1. Geno
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Katalina
4. Dragonborn
5. Bandana Dee

Been repping Steve for months so I'll be advocating for B&K a bit more as I was way too unhesitant to get on the "STEVE CONFIRMED" train.
Geno: don't care about him personally but I know it'll make you happy
BK: meh
Katalina: YOOOOOO LESGO
Dragonborn: not picked much around here but Todd would be happy and Todd deserves it.
BDee: as long as McLeod Gaming doesn't make his moveset, I'm good
Oh, okay...
Here ya go...
View attachment 179789
Not gonna lie, they chose some nice art...
Very 80's anime
What are those legs lmao

Actually reminds me of Ghost Stories a lot
Great post. I agree.

Though there is a part of me that kind of wishes that we had trophies for the fighters at least. Just so we'd get something at the end of Classic mode (as well as the neat descriptions), and so this whole Fighter Spirit hubbabaloo wouldn't happen. They do have the models and poses for the characters already, so I don't think it would be that hard.

Also I totally did that thing where I pretended my power ranger toys were different things, lol.
Yeah, I think Fightees should at least have trophies for them.
Or at least profiles ala Smash 64 with descriptions.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Tbh you'd think they would've noticed that the games were owned by Rare while getting whatever they were looking for, or Nintendo would've realized, but idk; human error is normal, and they probably tried hard to include as many IPs as they could.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
I might be a little late for my ideal DLC characters in no particular order

Ashley
Arthur (Super Ghouls'N Ghosts)
3 Houses rep being the new Manakete
Banjo and Kazooie
Viridi

D

Deleted member

AGAHNIM HAS A ****ING SPIRIT!?!?!?
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS GUY'S RETURN SINCE FOREVER THANK YOU

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wait, were the "blast dozer" and "star twins" supposed to be folders for Spirits? Yeah, you'd think they would've realized something while getting official artwork, but as I said, human error...

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
At this point, I feel like there’s no hope of Mushroomy 1-2 returning.
It’s a shame, as it was one of my favorite Brawl stages, but I can understand why they removed it. (Assuming that it is indeed removed).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ryota looking so good. They even have Akari there to rep 1080 Snowboarding. I love these Spirits so much.

Also, who wants to be sad?

View attachment 179798

You crushed his dreams. You monsters.
Anything for my dream of becoming the best Ridley player at 11:59, the night of the 6th, for a very short time.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Wait, were the "blast dozer" and "star twins" supposed to be folders for Spirits? Yeah, you'd think they would've realized something while getting official artwork, but as I said, human error...
They're listed among the represented franchises, but they do not have any actual content in the game.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
thats very hideo kojima of you sakurai
i mean

it is

AGAHNIM HAS A ****ING SPIRIT!?!?!?
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS GUY'S RETURN SINCE FOREVER THANK YOU
that is the right attitude
thank you

edit:
before anyone decides they wanna square up with me: eat my shorts

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Tbh you'd think they would've noticed that the games were owned by Rare while getting whatever they were looking for, or Nintendo would've realized, but idk; human error is normal, and they probably tried hard to include as many IPs as they could.
Huh... the fact that the spirits are there at least, to me, tells me that Rare may have been in talks w/ Nintendo for some kind of Smash content.
Whether that content is Banjo... I don't know. It's still pretty interesting though.

D

Deleted member

Oi, Hydreigon is a Spirit. And so is Aegislash. Ok, at least two of my top 6 Pokemon made it in so that's nice.

Anyways
spirits_0_chun_li_zero.png

You know she had to do it to 'em

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Y'know, seeing as Geno isn't 100% deconfirmed until the Squenix rep is revealed, I think I'm sleeping on the fact that he's even a Spirit too much.

He made it into Smash. In a weird way, yes, but I'm gonna get to take a little Geno with me wherever I go.

Even if he isn't playable he's still here.

Thank you Sakurai and the dev team.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Y'know, seeing as Geno isn't 100% deconfirmed until the Squenix rep is revealed, I think I'm sleeping on the fact that he's even a Spirit too much.

He made it into Smash. In a weird way, yes, but I'm gonna get to take a little Geno with me wherever I go.

Even if he isn't playable he's still here.

Thank you Sakurai and the dev team.
no luigi you can't escape my beating just because you suddenly are following what i was trying to say earlier

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Just gonna put it out there that Fossil Fighters main hero is missing from spirits despite the series having other spirits (such as nibbles and Trex) its incredibly weird the series main protagonist isnt there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom