• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Question.

Do you think Twintelle is becoming the Morrigan of ARMS?
No, I think Twintelle is going to fade into obscurity in at most 2 years while Morrigan will continually be the face of her franchise and be used in all Capcom crossovers.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I at least am not expecting a 3rd party DLC character to be anything other than top tier after the double-whammy of Cloud and Bayonetta (Ryu's strong, but at least he had some weaknesses and played the same game).
Unpopular opinion but I think Ryu is better than diddy kong. If Ryu had enough time in the meta, and he was in base game, he would've been much higher tier

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I feel like his Sora was actually playable, he'd be busted as hell, all those crazy moves he gets in KH2 at would make him really mobile and combo heavy.

Not Vergil in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 powerful, but definitely pretty strong.
Sora'd definitely be pretty lightweight though. I imagine him being about as strong as Marth at best.

If we're doing dream DLC picks, here are mine:
  • Sora
  • Joker
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Doom Guy
  • Steve
Here's what I think is likely though:
  • Erdrick/Crono
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Steve
  • Style Savvy Designer
  • Nintendo Promotional Rep

D

Deleted member

Thoughts about this DLC pack:

1. Geno
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Katalina
4. Dragonborn
5. Bandana Dee
1. Nice, a long time fan want and cool character
2. See above
3. Blegh on the character, but if they given her a really cool ice moveset I can tolerate her
4. Would be surprising, but otherwise eh
5. Being more objective, he’s a fine choice and could be interesting. Subjectively, pretty boring for me

Overall would be a decent dlc lin eup.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Knowing about the datamined code showing strings with Rare Ltd. stuff makes me think we're going to get Banjo-Kazooie.
The Rare LTD credits are for the DKC music. Rare is simply listed as the original composer, and has been since Brawl.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No, I think Twintelle is going to fade into obscurity in at most 2 years while Morrigan will continually be the face of her franchise and be used in all Capcom crossovers.
You think ARMS will fade away?

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Spirits are such a great concept to me because they allow many more characters to be represented than before. They are superior to Trophies because 1) they aren't exclusive to characters with ingame roles or existing models; 2) they serve a gameplay pirpose so you feel like you're using your faves instead of just having some toy collecting dust somewhere; and most importantly 3) Spirit Battles show an incredible level of care to these characters and their lore.

Sure, it's not perfect, but representation is never 1:1: all the status effects, stages they take place on, character and costume they possess, music that plays, etc. shows the dev team CARED enough about these characters to referemce them with these fun little battles.

And also, this is how you take the concept of this being a kid playing with toys to its extreme, you give the child imagination.
This kid may not have a Sigma toy, but they can pretend this Ganondorf they do have is him.
I remember pretending toys I had were things other than they actually were, it's not such an alien concept to play pretend and, honestly, I love it. In a way, it ends up feeling nostalgic.

Ganondorf/Ganon is the same person across all games(except for FSA where that's Ganondorf II) just with different designs. Which is why a DLC fighter with an existing Spirit just needs a different artworl for their Fighter Spirit and blam.
I mean, when you have **** like this
View attachment 179786
I find it hard to take the argument that it wouldn't make sense for a fighter to equip their own Spirit seriously.
"Oh but it's KAPTAIN K.Rool, not KING K.Rool"
Well yeah, that ain't gonna be Geno equipping Geno either, it's gonna be Geno equipping his brither, "slightly looking left" Geno
Pretty much this entire post. Spirits are neat and feel like they're really handled with love.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

1. Geno
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Katalina
4. Dragonborn
5. Bandana Dee

Been repping Steve for months so I'll be advocating for B&K a bit more as I was way too unhesitant to get on the "STEVE CONFIRMED" train.
Would love Banjo, Katalina, and Bandana Dee.
I don't really care too much about Dragonborn.
For the sake of his fans... I'd be OK w/ Geno getting in. Only for his fans though.
So overall... really good!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Alright, I’ll be in the opposition for once about Spirits.

I think one reason why people think Spirits might deconfirm characters is because it’s an effect that they are not being playable.

For example, let’s say Sakurai had to choose between Shulk, Elma, and Rex. Sakurai was only able to create Shulk. Because he was only able to create Shulk, as a result he decided to make Elma and Rex spirits since they aren’t playable.

I think that’s where some people’s mindset are. They think that if a DLC character is going to be a spirit, why bother making a spirit of that character a spirit in the first place?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You think ARMS will fade away?
If Nintendo doesn't market it or its characters continually?
Absolutely.

Darkstalkers, dead as it is, had 2 sequels, numerous ports, and its mascot is featured in every single vs. Capcom game. Forgive my incredulousness, but I don't think that's happening with either Twintelle or ARMS.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Nintendo doesn't market it or its characters continually?
Absolutely.

Darkstalkers, dead as it is, had 2 sequels, numerous ports, and its mascot is featured in every single vs. Capcom game. Forgive my incredulousness, but I don't think that's happening with either Twintelle or ARMS.
ARMS has been marketed since its reveal.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Spirits are such a great concept to me because they allow many more characters to be represented than before. They are superior to Trophies because 1) they aren't exclusive to characters with ingame roles or existing models; 2) they serve a gameplay pirpose so you feel like you're using your faves instead of just having some toy collecting dust somewhere; and most importantly 3) Spirit Battles show an incredible level of care to these characters and their lore.

Sure, it's not perfect, but representation is never 1:1: all the status effects, stages they take place on, character and costume they possess, music that plays, etc. shows the dev team CARED enough about these characters to referemce them with these fun little battles.

And also, this is how you take the concept of this being a kid playing with toys to its extreme, you give the child imagination.
This kid may not have a Sigma toy, but they can pretend this Ganondorf they do have is him.
I remember pretending toys I had were things other than they actually were, it's not such an alien concept to play pretend and, honestly, I love it. In a way, it ends up feeling nostalgic.

Ganondorf/Ganon is the same person across all games(except for FSA where that's Ganondorf II) just with different designs. Which is why a DLC fighter with an existing Spirit just needs a different artworl for their Fighter Spirit and blam.
View attachment 179786
I find it hard to take the argument that it wouldn't make sense for a fighter to equip their own Spirit seriously.
Well yeah, that ain't gonna be Geno equipping Geno either, it's gonna be Geno equipping his brither, "slightly looking left" Geno
Great post. I agree.

Though there is a part of me that kind of wishes that we had trophies for the fighters at least. Just so we'd get something at the end of Classic mode (as well as the neat descriptions), and so this whole Fighter Spirit hubbabaloo wouldn't happen. They do have the models and poses for the characters already, so I don't think it would be that hard.

Also I totally did that thing where I pretended my power ranger toys were different things, lol.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

View attachment 179786
This is an awesome comparison.

When I was a kid around middle school I had a ton of MUSCLE toys. I was into Kinnikuman and those little dudes from the 80s fascinated me. I wrote names and backstories for all the characters that I didn't know (because they weren't in the GameCube game) and would have tons of pretend wrestling matches/fighting game-esque battles on top of this Fisher Price castle I owned. I pretended the castle was Spinal's from Killer Instinct, and I had a dollar store giant robot figure I would usually pretend was the Colossus from Soulcalibur because I liked hacking videogames to play as boss characters. Toys and imagination were a fun way to do something different outside of game and read and worry about school. Going back even further, I'd make the train from Star Fox 64 out of LEGO because it's not like there was Nintendo-themed LEGO out there.

Spirits remind me of that. You have some toys, you give the Chrom toy a sword from the dollar store or from another playset, and presto, he's Owain now! It's cute. It's imaginative. And as a videogame fan whose favorite Melee mode was Event Mode, it's exciting. I can't wait to see all these battles and take part in them.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

1. Geno
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Katalina
4. Dragonborn
5. Bandana Dee

Been repping Steve for months so I'll be advocating for B&K a bit more as I was way too unhesitant to get on the "STEVE CONFIRMED" train.
1. Not one of my wanted characters but I’ll take it without hesitation.
2. Hell yeah!
3. I’d rather have Steve in over her and I’ve expressed how much I don’t want Steve in. I’ve gotten the feeling that people want her just for her looks and people want Steve in for moveset potential. I’d gladly take the latter. Oh, and I have a personal bias against mobile games.
4. See my response to Geno.
5. Never been a huge BWD supporter but I’d be very happy to have him in.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So basically the real ''WTF" is the Blast Corps and Jet Force thing then.
Yes, however there's an possible explanation for those, too. Both Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini have alternate Japanese titles, Blast Dozer and Star Twins, respectively. And it appears that while Nintendo obviously doesn't own those IPs, they may still own the copyright on those titles. It's possible there might have been an internal mixup and someone might have thought they owned those franchises.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Knowing about the datamined code showing strings with Rare Ltd. stuff makes me think we're going to get Banjo-Kazooie.
Strings of rare ltd. Code
Verge saying minecraft is a boss
Papagenos source saying banjo's in.

Is... It... Happening?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So now that the game is out in the wild, have we gotten confirmation on...
  • whether Mushroomy 1-2 is definitely out?
  • if Melee Yoshi's Island doesn't even have it's Melee track?
  • where the individual Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard/Mii fighter icons are used.
  • If Squirtle can still wall jump/cling

1. Geno
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Katalina
4. Dragonborn
5. Bandana Dee

You know me - if Dovahkiin's in, it's immediately a 10/10 must buy.

I don't really know who I'd do for my dream DLC pack beyond Dovahkiin and Tails. Anyone beyond them is fluff and I'd buy sight unseen.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Question.

Do you think Twintelle is becoming the Morrigan of ARMS?
I think it's a bit soon to say. Besides Twintelle, alot of people do seem to go towards Ribbon Girl too over Spring Man. Heck, Ribbon Girl is used alot competitively by what I've seen so far.
But to say they are becoming the Morrigan of ARMS is a bit too soon to say. For one, Darkstalkers did get some sequels and so far, ARMS hasn't yet. And the 2nd reason being that one of the key reasons why Morrigan overshadowed Demetri is the fact that she was used alot for crossovers compared to Demetri(most likely because of Midnight Bliss). Because of her prominence in crossovers, it's one of the reasons why when people hear Darkstalkers, they think of Morrigan. Because she's the most prominently used Darkstalkers character for Capcom's crossovers. Arms hasn't been used extensively in crossovers so far.
At the moment, the only crossover material that has happened is Spring Man being an Assist and Spring Man and Ribbon Girl being Mii Costumes. So none of the characters, including Twintelle, have gotten any prominent roles in crossovers compared to Morrigan who's a common playable character. I say it's a bit too soon to say on whether or not Twintelle is becoming a Morrigan character. Sure, she certainly fills the 'sexy' role like Morrigan and it's not hard to overshadow Spring Man, but Morrigan has alot more going for her case than just sexy and overshadowing the real main character.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So now that the game is out in the wild, have we gotten confirmation on...
  • whether Mushroomy 1-2 is definitely out?
  • if Melee Yoshi's Island doesn't even have it's Melee track?
  • where the individual Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard/Mii fighter icons are used.
  • If Squirtle can still wall jump/cling

You know me - if Dovahkiin's in, it's immediately a 10/10 must buy.

I don't really know who I'd do for my dream DLC pack beyond Dovahkiin and Tails. Anyone beyond them is fluff and I'd buy sight unseen.
I think I remember Gamexplain showing that the Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard icons were used in WoL when they're fought individually.

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
I didn't know Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini were in Rare Replay, so yeah this is weird.

Although, it'd be weird for them to be in at all if it isn't a mix-up, because Banjo-Kazooie would likely be a free, bonus DLC character if they couldn't finish them in time for the base-game, so they likely weren't planned with the rest of the base-game...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom