• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That's not a Twerkie from Miitopia.
Gotta wait for Season 2 fam.

you bet your *** if that's who they want in they'll put them in
If Joe can do the **** other Joes do like Piranha Plant can with other plants, he'd probably be fun. And it's a known fact that Darknut's can square up.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly there's no real reason that adding a character w/ a spirit should affect the spirit in any way.

If I remember correctly, they didn't remove the Mewtwo or Lucas trophies in Smash 4 when they were released as DLC.
I think it's because people are running with the whole ''Because these random status effect event matches are suppose to represent fighting them in Smash" of it all.

As if a character like Dixie Kong can be widdled down as simply as you know Smoky Progg or something and that's all. It's kind of insulting to all these favorites that have spirits that this has even become a thing.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Like I've said before and everyone complaining about characters on here regardless of who they are will buy the DLC regardless just to have a complete roster and if you say you won't, you're lying. Nintendo could add Mr. Belch and Glass Joe as fighters and everyone here will eat it up (myself included) regardless. I hated Wii U/3DS DLC character choices (besides Mewtwo) and still bought all the characters eventually.
I wouldn't buy them to have the complete roster. I would buy them cause they would be fun!

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Sony or Xbox, can the Switch run the game.. as intended. Not yet I think. If ever, isn't it better to promote the game they're actually developing and is on the way (DQ11) rather than a game that might. Might be ported, might be pocketed or might be cancelled. Also, how many Swicth owners do own PS4 or Xbox? not little for sure. Those most probably ain't buying the gamne a second time for lesser graphics and a game that'll be done by most then. Well maybe if they went for another story on Switch then, who knows. All I know is that Neku signs a cooler deal to me :)

Its possible they will just downgrade the visuals and then release KH3 for the Switch. Also if they do it that way, then they can release all the KH games for the Switch as well. You'd be surprised how many people buy the same game over and over again. For instance their is a rumor that Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword will be released for the Nintendo Switch. Many people who buy the game most likely have bought it before. Neku would be cool, in reality almost any Square character would be really great. From Sora, Erdrick, Neku, Chrono, Geno & Lara. All of them would be really interesting, so its just interesting to see which one they will use.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
4/10

Rate mine

- 3 Houses rep (probably edelgard)
- metroid prime 4 rep (maybe Sylux)
- gen 8 pokemon
- LoZ rep (HD releases of loz games, maybe Impa)
- Ryu Hayabusa ( because fatal frame content exists)
7.5/10
-Mostly safe picks w/ 3 Houses rep and a Gen 8 Pokemon, but I'd probably like both, especially if the former is Edelgard.
-As long as the LoZ isn't another Link/Ganon/Zelda, I'm good. You get bonus points for specifically mentioning Impa.
-Metroid Prime 4 Rep makes sense, but I honestly don't want another Metroid rep considering we got 2 w/ the very limited newcomer selection.
-Neutral on Ryu Hayabusa. Don't really care about the character.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Rate the DLC lineup #8492
- Dixie Kong (releases March 2019)
- Elma (releases June 2019)
- Twintelle (releases September 2019)
- Doom Marine (releases November 2019)
- Banjo & Kazooie (releases February 2020)
i see Elma, I smash that Like.

Twintelle would be cool. My ARMS choice is Dr. Coyle because I love mad scientists but Twintelle is one of the other coolest ones and even though it's not a game I play a ton of it has a good aesthetic and music and would make for an interesting fighter. Banjo would be awesome. Doomguy isn't my main picj for Bethesda but I can't deny the iconic status. No opinion on Dixie but I love the DK series so any rep, be it her, Funky, or Cranky pleases me.

A solid lineup.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I mean, not really. There is a lot of stuff Nintendo has thrown at me that I didn't want.
But Smash Bros. though? I even bought into Nintendo's abysmal online service simply because of Smash Bros. I'm sure a lot of us did here as well. I'm literally paying for a worse online service than the Wii had in 2006 simply because of Smash. I HATED the addition of Cloud, Bayonetta, and Ryu in Smash 4 but still bought them.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I think it's because people are running with the whole ''Because these random status effect event matches are suppose to represent fighting them in Smash" of it all.

As if a character like Dixie Kong can be widdled down as simply as you know Smoky Progg or something and that's all. It's kind of insulting to all these favorites that have spirits that this has even become a thing.
The combination of palette swaps, the status effects, stages, and AI changes (example: Owain Spirit making Chrom taunt as much as possible fits with Owain's over-the-top personality) make the representation of characters not actually on the battlefield much better than before. Smash can't include every character, even as part of a stage or an Assist Trophy, and this is the next best thing.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
But Smash Bros. though? I even bought into Nintendo's abysmal online service simply because of Smash Bros. I'm sure a lot of us did here as well. I'm literally paying for a worse online service than the Wii had in 2006 simply because of Smash. I HATED the addition of Cloud, Bayonetta, and Ryu in Smash 4 but still bought them.
Smash Bros.? Yeah? What about it?
Also, I bought online cause, well, I wanted to play online. That's literally the point of it. Not to mention I'm giving Nintendo money so the people working there can support their families!
Fighter spirits are literally the spirits of the fighters and can't be equipped.
They're basically just trophies.
That's pretty useless.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Only through reclassing to Dark Knight though, which is completely non-canon.
If the character can still use said abilities in-game, even if the lore said they didn't would that matter much? Like, Simon doesn't do half the **** he did and borrowed it from Richter. And Mega Man's Up-Smash is based on the boss' own needle arms and not the projectile he shoots from them.

I feel it's mostly people trying to take a more reserved/"realistic" approach to temper their expectations. Me personally, I won't have much of an opinion on either since we've got no confirmation whether or not this is the case. Until we get our first DLC character, or we get some official statement, either is possible.

Spirits might not allowed to be playable, maybe they will be, but we won't know until later.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
So, how about them Mega Mans? I haven't seen a ton of footage of him yet, but a couple of his moves got improved, so that's cool. I hope there's more good news in store for him.

And if you had to pick another MM character as DLC, who would you pick. Most people already know I'd pick MMX, but any of the other Mega Men would be cool to me too. Not that any are super likely, but it'd be sick.
Megs is looking even better than he was in Smash 4 (minus his Metal Blade shenanigans being nerfed) but he's probably going to be outclassed. Still gonna use him a ton though.

Based on what's still available, probably Bass.EXE as someone else said. Not played any BN games yet but he's essentially a far more interesting and threatening version of Bass, so that'd be dope.
I will point out something I don't think anyone has ever pointed out for Spirits.

Sakurai: -paraphrasing him of course- We chose to do Spirits because they were simply much more easy to do than trophies.

But also Sakurai according to this fan rule.

Sakurai: We also deliberately chose who to make a spirit and who not to make a spirit as part of our DLC plan thus putting an extra workload and thought process on to something that was to lessen the tedium of our workload.
Hence why I push for my wants regardless of silly JPEGs.
I would like to have something from Fire Emblem that isn't a Sword User.
I really want an all-magic user like Arvis or cough Micaiah, would be very different and fun.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Its possible they will just downgrade the visuals and then release KH3 for the Switch. Also if they do it that way, then they can release all the KH games for the Switch as well. You'd be surprised how many people buy the same game over and over again. For instance their is a rumor that Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword will be released for the Nintendo Switch. Many people who buy the game most likely have bought it before. Neku would be cool, in reality almost any Square character would be really great. From Sora, Erdrick, Neku, Chrono, Geno & Lara. All of them would be really interesting, so its just interesting to see which one they will use.
I'd buy Kingdom Hearts on Nintendo Switch even though I have it on PS3 and PS4.

Being able to play Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix on the go is something I've wanted for years.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
4/10

Rate mine

- 3 Houses rep (probably edelgard)
- metroid prime 4 rep (maybe Sylux)
- gen 8 pokemon
- LoZ rep (HD releases of loz games, maybe Impa)
- Ryu Hayabusa ( because fatal frame content exists)
4/10.
Gen 8 and Sylux would be cool. The rest I have no interest for. That being said, I only need one character I like to not be disappointed so this is actually pretty good.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not every Smash Bros. player bought all DLC.

Most did.

The idea that everybody will eat it up is just plain not true. It should sell fine, but you can't expect sales from 100% of the world. Just enough to justify the inclusion. A sales expectation is a calculated risk. Nobody truly expects every person in the world to buy something as DLC. That's just silly. They still try to appeal to the majority to guarantee sales, though. That's actually reasonable.

The only people who'll buy all the character and stages are Tourney Owners. It's far more subjective for other players. Competitive players are likely to get it all(though some won't, which is silly, cause that means you don't have all the tools in the game to properly practice. But it's still their choice to do it that way. For better or worse when it comes to playing competitively, it's their money to use, not anybody else's).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Those are distinguished as Fighter Spirits though, not general Spirits.

No playable character has a general Spirit and a Fighter Spirit.
I'm fairly sure that I saw a Ganondorf spirit in a stream earlier that was just specified as ''Twilight Princess".

Sure, the Ganondorfs are a line of succession or predecessor type thing, but it's still a fighter.

Same for the K. Rool spirit that isn't his fighter Spirit. You can thus equip a Ganondorf spirit to Ganondorf and K. Rool in a pirate disguise to K. Rool.

Or an image of Wii Fit Trainer doing a pose to Wii Fit Trainer.

And that's the whole hang up you guys keep throwing around and ya'll have yet to combat this in a way that makes very much sense. It's equipping that character to the character or any other character.

So I don't see the big deal if say Elma became a DLC fighter, so what there's a version of her that can be equipped to everyone? You can equip versions of Ganondorf and K Rool to other fighters as well.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Not every Smash Bros. player bought all DLC.

Most did.

The idea that everybody will eat it up is just plain not true. It should sell fine, but you can't expect sales from 100% of the world. Just enough to justify the inclusion. A sales expectation is a calculated risk. Nobody truly expects every person in the world to buy something as DLC. That's just silly. They still try to appeal to the majority to guarantee sales, though. That's actually reasonable.

The only people who'll buy all the character and stages are Tourney Owners. It's far more subjective for other players. Competitive players are likely to get it all(though some won't, which is silly, cause that means you don't have all the tools in the game to properly practice. But it's still their choice to do it that way. For better or worse when it comes to playing competitively, it's their money to use, not anybody else's).
Agreed. I haven't bought Bayo or Corrin. (Don't plan too either, since I don't play too much Smash 4 anymore.)

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Wasn't aware.
I would figure her attacks would consist of some sword attacks, but mostly attacks involving turning into a dragon.
By that logic, Lucina could use every single weapon type in the franchise sans dragonstones due to the class change mechanic. It's non-canon and no one would consider it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The combination of palette swaps, the status effects, stages, and AI changes (example: Owain Spirit making Chrom taunt as much as possible fits with Owain's over-the-top personality) make the representation of characters not actually on the battlefield much better than before. Smash can't include every character, even as part of a stage or an Assist Trophy, and this is the next best thing.
The Otacon spirit fight in the last direct instantly sold me on the concept. It's a fun storyline way of doing so much more representation than we ever could have had and Spirit battles are way cooler than trophies to me.

We can't have every character ever in Smash. I'd love it, but it's not feasible. We have over 70 characters now. C'mon.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
By that logic, Lucina could use every single weapon type in the franchise sans dragonstones due to the class change mechanic. It's non-canon and no one would consider it.
Yeah. I know. I'm saying mainly sword attacks, because I thought that was the only class Tiki could switch into. I'm not very experienced with FE.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Alright y'all, rate my dream DLC Picks

-Slime (Dragon Quest)
-Steve (Minecraft)
-Tap Trial Girl (Rhythm Heaven)
-Elma (Xenoblade)
-Katalina (Granblue)

lol... I can see the hate already...

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I'd buy Kingdom Hearts on Nintendo Switch even though I have it on PS3 and PS4.

Being able to play Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix on the go is something I've wanted for years.
Agree that is something I really would be down for. I even have the KH collection & KH3 for PS4 & I would still buy it for the Switch. Also how great would it be to see this happening in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
i would hop on the "How would you react" bandwaggon but im having a hard time coming up with 5 people and i can only think of Don-chan and Layton
Fill the rest with more Layton characters then.

I got someone in my family who likes his games, so she'd be happy.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Your thoughts if these are the DLC choices?

Steve
Banjo and Kazooie
Celcia
Mach Rider
Lycanroc

Alright y'all, rate my DLC Picks

-Slime
-Steve
-Tap Trial Girl
-Elma
-Katalina

lol... I can see the hate already...
Tap Trial girl is a fun pick, I'd be excited to see how she would play. Steve as well. Could care less about the other folks, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom