• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
To be completely fair did we generally have characters show up before their actual like that too much? Like if they showed up and weren't shown in a playable role they were generally considered to be out tmk
It didn't matter.

That was a clear cliff-hanger. Obvious as day.

Palutena literally says ''Dark Pit. Came to crash my party huh?"

and he responds ''Yup."

It was VERY obvious that Palutena's party she was referring to was her joining Smash and he was responding ''Yup. I'm here too."

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I wonder how ESRB leak was handled here... I remember a lot of folks were talking about the Grinch leak as if it was the second ESRB leak saying "don't doubt it again, it's probably real, don't repeat history" so I guess people thought the ESRBleak was fake?
It was a mess.

People threw weak points against it, like a mispelling, Game&Watch's hand extending into Wario's icon, and the infamous Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac and claimed that it was fake. And then the gameplay leaked and people said it was a Brawl hack when it obviously wasn't.

If anything, Box Theory was the second-coming of the ESRB leak, and not the Grinch hoax, as both were equally unpopular due to a lack of supposedly "hype" characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Who? Please point out more than five people. Everyone seems to think the game is great.
Keep in mind, I’m not complaining either. I just find it funny how quickly this forum changes their mind on things. Again, hypocrites.
Hey, I should count right?

Noipoi

Howdy!
It was a mess. People threw weak points against it, like a mispelling, Game&Watch's hand extending into Wario's icon, and the infamous Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac and claimed that it was fake. And then the gameplay leaked and people said it was a Brawl hack when it obviously wasn't.

Between the ESRB leak and the Grinch hoax (because that's what it was), it's clear that the Smash Bros. fanbase runs rampant when it comes to potential character inclusions. If anything, Box Theory was the second-coming of the ESRB leak as both were equally unpopular due to a lack of supposedly "hype" characters.
I remember the morning of The Grinch leak. Everyone was calling it ESRB 2 :laugh:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I remember everyone not exactly believing it was fake, but wanting to believe. The popular known "Shulk is Little Mac" kind of behaviour trying anything and everything to debunk it all. There was far better evidence than the grinch leak had so it was a lot harder to pick straws at. It felt pretty real, we were just underwhelmed by the clones, especially dark pit, and I remember people not liking Bowser Jr.. Not so much hating him, just not liking how he was portrayed via his vehicle. Duck Hunt was basically only "WOW" factor after the confirmation of the leak hit.
My biggest thing against the ESRB leak at the time was the clones being shoved down together outside their series in a "clone corner". It felt stupid that a gameplay distinction that Sakurai never seemed to care about before had them being shoved away from how the series were ordered and singled out like that.
Honestly even after knowing it's real it still feels like a moronic decision imo.
That reminds me that Im not really a fan of the release date order they have going here. I much rather have characters arranged by series.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh god.

Dark Pit.

I got called such an idiot for saying he was 100 percent confirmed to be in Smash Bros after Palutena's trailer.

''But they didn't show a screen smash!"

People legitimiately did not know the meaning of a ''cliffhanger."
If it's any consolation, Fisher.

I saw the writing on the wall after that trailer too.

Would that I had been on the forum back then, I would have certainly had your back.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I remember the morning of The Grinch leak. Everyone was calling it ESRB 2 :laugh:
See, everyone who believed in the Grinch leak (including me) has either accepted defeat, cancelled their pre-order or is pretending they never believed it in the first place. The latter two are pathetic, honestly.

D

Deleted member

I remember within the first few hours of the grinch leak, I was thinking ‘damn this could be legit’. Then people pointed out the empty background and I was leaning towards team fake, and then the rest of the debacle happened and I was team 50/50 completely. It was crazy.

D

Deleted member

I was Zinith 0.5 back in the Smash 4 days holy ****.

This is the worst best trip down memory lane ever. Thanks, Blargg888 Blargg888 for posting this garbage :laugh:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I wonder how ESRB leak was handled here... I remember a lot of folks were talking about the Grinch leak as if it was the second ESRB leak saying "don't doubt it again, it's probably real, don't repeat history" so I guess people thought the ESRBleak was fake?
There was a thread where people went in circles and Shulk was a photoshopped Little Mac. Then the videos dropped, and Shulk was still a photoshopped Little Mac.
Was that this thread?
https://smashboards.com/threads/potential-roster-stage-leak-thread.364914/page-10#post-17350327

I think I avoided leak threads back then, so I don't remember it that well.

I know it was for a different reason though, because I didn't start to dislike leaks until after Roy/Ryu.

NineS

Smash Lord
somebody please save me. i am locked in reggies basement and have been kept here for weeks on end. he dresses up in fursuits and touches me. he keeps me without food or water for days. please, i beg you send help. oh god hes coming back hopefully he wont notice the small text on his post
999 how can i help you?
Wait no, I was actually 13.

Lmao look at this ****ing idiot
View attachment 178568
You think that's bad?
I don't have screenshots... Sadly... But I used to argue that the Duck Hunt leak was fake becaue there was no way in my head at the time that Sakurai would choose a character like that. I don't know why I thought that Sakurai wouldn't do that, when we already got :ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultrob:
I also didn't really know who Geno was at the time nor did I care for him, and thought K. Rool being in Smash was such a weird concept while simultaneously being a huge supporter of Ridley at the time.
I've changed into an entirely different person from the Smash 4 Speculation era to the 2nd year Smash 4 has been out.
I'm completely disconnected with myself from then and I can't relate to that me from then. I'm not joking when I say I literally feel like an entirely different person/being from the me from half a decade back.

And I think that's probably for the best seeing the type of person I was back then.

Did I mention I was one of those fools who believed the "Lucario stole Mewtwo's slot in Brawl" ideology? Thank Taro I've changed.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I remember within the first few hours of the grinch leak, I was thinking ‘damn this could be legit’. Then people pointed out the empty background and I was leaning towards team fake, and then the rest of the debacle happened and I was team 50/50 completely. It was crazy.
I will never forget November first. I didn't dislike The Grinch leak, but the discussions were getting heated and the hate against Incineroar was tiring.
To see my most wanted character destroy everything in two minutes was absolutely hilarious.

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'd love to see the reactions to Snake and Sonic - Snake in particular
We didn't really have "reactions" in the sense that we do now. Streaming wasn't a thing, youtube videos were a niche crowd, even forums were a lot quieter. My initial friend groups reaction to Sonic was more like "NO WAY! I always kept trying to unlock him in melee!!". For snake, nobody knew who he was besides me, but it introduced his games to my group so I can't be upset about that at all :). Not exactly a reaction to Snake but a nice outcome nonetheless.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
You think that's bad?
I don't have screenshots... Sadly... But I used to argue that the Duck Hunt leak was fake becaue there was no way in my head at the time that Sakurai would choose a character like that. I don't know why I thought that Sakurai wouldn't do that, when we already got :ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultrob:
I also didn't really know who Geno was at the time nor did I care for him, and thought K. Rool being in Smash was such a weird concept while simultaneously being a huge supporter of Ridley at the time.
I've changed into an entirely different person from the Smash 4 Speculation era to the 2nd year Smash 4 has been out.
I'm completely disconnected with myself from then and I can't relate to that me from then. I'm not joking when I say I literally feel like an entirely different person/being from the me from half a decade back.

And I think that's probably for the best seeing the type of person I was back then.

Did I mention I was one of those fools who believed the "Lucario stole Mewtwo's slot in Brawl" ideology? Thank Taro I've changed.
Omg I remember the people who would argue that Lucario was a Mewtwo clone due to aura sphere alone.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Day isn't complete without the daily "A.G.L. and Goegoe having calming debates"

Music not fitting is BS imo I don't think that's a reasonable excuse. You're telling me every character in Smash with music fits with Smash? Animal Crossing music didn't fit. But they MADE it fit.

Dovahkiin fits with Smash Bros like Snake and Simon and Bayonetta do. Don't think "not fitting in" is a relevant argument as well.
Haha thanks buddy we try to keep the debates interesting, while respecting each others opinions. GoeGoe has some really interesting insights that I hadn't thought of before. So us going back and forth on information makes speculating very interesting.

That is true thats why I also said Riftlety a Youtube content creator has proven music from Elder Scrolls can fit with almost anything. I don't know how Nintendo would do it, but Im sure if they want Dhovakin in they will find a way. They have done it for Snake and his music can be very orchestral just like Elder Scrolls, so definitely not impossible. I just am not sure if Bethesda will push for Dhovakin now that they are working on the next Elder Scrolls, I would be really happy if Im wrong about this though. I would love to see Elder Scrolls music in Smash Bros, as I am a huge fan of the music from Oblivion and Skyrim.

If you are a fan of music from Elder Scroll's I thought this mash up was amazing, its a mash up of Morrowind, Oblivion & Skyrim.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hey, I'll admit I took the Grinch as true. The minute I saw the ESRB, I was convinced - mainly because of the sinking feeling of "Nobody I wanted? And these ******* are in?!" I didn't get in much debate, but it did take the 50-fact extravaganza (and Mewtwo DLC) to pull me out of it. I even got both versions so I could get free Mewtwo...and I'm glad I did since 3DS was completely the superior version.

The Grinch also seemed completely plausible, so I definitely thought it was true. After all, what idiot would go through all of that work to fake something? Welp...

Day isn't complete without the daily "A.G.L. and Goegoe having calming debates"

Music not fitting is BS imo I don't think that's a reasonable excuse. You're telling me every character in Smash with music fits with Smash? Animal Crossing music didn't fit. But they MADE it fit.

Dovahkiin fits with Smash Bros like Snake and Simon and Bayonetta do. Don't think "not fitting in" is a relevant argument as well.
You know I'll always support this ;)

Totally fits in Smash. If we've got one barbarian-looking dude :ultsimon:, then another will definitely fit. Plus he's got a super iconic helmet for Kirby :laugh:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I didn’t have an account during the Smash 4 speculation days (that would come shortly before Mewtwo’s initial free release) but I was a frequent lurker here during that time.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
It was a mess.

People threw weak points against it, like a mispelling, Game&Watch's hand extending into Wario's icon, and the infamous Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac and claimed that it was fake. And then the gameplay leaked and people said it was a Brawl hack when it obviously wasn't.

If anything, Box Theory was the second-coming of the ESRB leak, and not the Grinch hoax, as both were equally unpopular due to a lack of supposedly "hype" characters.
One of the points against Box Theory was that "There's no way Sakurai would end it on an UNHYPE note!"

And they were right.

:ultincineroar: was a very hype note to end on. :p

D

Deleted member

I will never forget November first. I didn't dislike The Grinch leak, but the discussions were getting heated and the hate against Incineroar was tiring.
To see my most wanted character destroy everything in two minutes was absolutely hilarious.
To be honest, I’m still can’t really get over incineroar’s design, but I really like how they handled his moveset. Always wanted a grappler.
Why’d he have to beat up ken though : (

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Was that this thread?
https://smashboards.com/threads/potential-roster-stage-leak-thread.364914/page-10#post-17350327

I think I avoided leak threads back then, so I don't remember it that well.

I know it was for a different reason though, because I didn't start to dislike leaks until after Roy/Ryu.
THAT'S THE ONE. The disablad arguments due to the doctored screenshot, ****ty Dr. Mario mockups, photoshopped Little Mac, IT'S ALL THERE.

You really are the MVP for today.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
My biggest thing against the ESRB leak at the time was the clones being shoved down together outside their series in a "clone corner". It felt stupid that a gameplay distinction that Sakurai never seemed to care about before had them being shoved away from how the series were ordered and singled out like that.
Honestly even after knowing it's real it still feels like a moronic decision imo.
That reminds me that Im not really a fan of the release date order they have going here. I much rather have characters arranged by series.
This wasn't because he was singling out the clones, this was just because they designed the CSS for the clone-less roster and when they chose to upgrade the costumes they didn't bother redesigning it. It's more laziness than anything.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
One of the points against Box Theory was that "There's no way Sakurai would end it on an UNHYPE note!"

And they were right.

I love how all of you get to act condescending and ***holish towards the rest of the community and nothing happens but when I do it I get an infraction.
Y’all talk a big game about how “toxic” the community is yet you’re toxic yourself. I mean, I guess you kind of have the right to gloat since in the end you were right, but still.

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I love how all of you get to act condescending and ***holish towards the rest of the community and nothing happens but when I do it I get an infraction.
Y’all talk a big game about how “toxic” the community is yet you’re toxic yourself. I mean, I guess you kind of have the right to gloat since in the end you were right, but still.
...uh, how was I acting assholish or toxic? I was just expressing how excited I am for Incineroar.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
"These inexplicable background discrepancies are L I T E R A L L Y SHULK = LIL MAC 2.0 Ya Idiots"
People don't seem to understand that Shulk is a Photoshopped Little Mac was a dumb argument because it was conjecture at its finest, not a small discrepancy.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Incineroar fans get one (1) free snarky post every few months in return for the crap Incineroar got before his reveal.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People who say Sakurai was going to end it on the hype note did not remember how Brawl or Smash 4's ended.

:olimar: You're either delusional or gambled on "third time's the charm" :4shulk: or you believed in the Grinch leak, but you were already punished for gullibility.

Shroob

Sup?
Difference is that there were WAY more outspoken, loud and just downright awful people on TeamReal than there were on TeamFake, and if you said you didn't believe the leak, you would get blasted as being a "Virgin Bin" or "Box Theorist Cuck".

For once, I have to take a side and admit that, for the most part, TeamFake were pretty much angels during the period.

KMDP

Smash Legend
*puts on Devil's Advocate hat*
...uh, how was I acting assholish or toxic? I was just expressing how excited I am for Incineroar.
It's the way you're expressing your excitement for Incineroar.

And they were right.

To the people who don't consider Incineroar a hype character (and wanted someone else), statements like this can be construed as rubbing it in.

There's such a thing as being a sore winner.

D

Deleted member

Difference is that there were WAY more outspoken, loud and just downright awful people on TeamReal than there were on TeamFake, and if you said you didn't believe the leak, you would get blasted as being a "Virgin Bin" or "Box Theorist Cuck".

For once, I have to take a side and admit that, for the most part, TeamFake were pretty much angels during the period.
Don’t generalise. As someone who was rather neutral, there were certainly plenty of ***** on both sides. The fact that people started forming teams and taking things personally was sign of that.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
This wasn't because he was singling out the clones, this was just because they designed the CSS for the clone-less roster and when they chose to upgrade the costumes they didn't bother redesigning it. It's more laziness than anything.
Honestly don't know if that is better or worse. lol

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Incineroar fans get one (1) free snarky post every few months in return for the crap Incineroar got before his reveal.
You say this after I post something snarky? And we should be allowed 10. I'm counting the Sun and Moon leak days for us Incineroar fans.

In a smug, condescending manner. At least, that’s what it seemed like to me. Perhaps I misinterpreted the tone of your words.
The entire Smash speculation cycle consisted of people telling Incineroar fans how unhype it would be if the speculation ended on him and what a terrible and boring choice he would be compared to others, when it would be very hype for us. Dealing with that for months was tiring, and made especially insufferable during the Grinch hoax.

I'm allowed to joke about it after all that.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Hey, speculation talk's just water under the bridge.
Let bygones... be bygones.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Letting bygones be bygones is what caused the community to spiral into chaos in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom