• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Okay, supposing that the Big N were mulling over Warioware Gold planning a couple years before it came out, and that they were deliberately steadily downplaying Ashley promotion in the meantime (extending to the AT), do you guys think we might get a Warioware character as DLC?
How did Warioware Gold even do saleswise? And in that case if you were going to add Ashley then why bother including the AT?

She's no doubt the most popular Warioware character, but I don't know if she'd be big enough for Nintendo to give her a Fighter's Pass spot.

D

Deleted member

My boy you like Rex, we all have our vices.

this is a joke please don't kill me
AT LEAST XENOBLADE 2 WAS A FULL GAME AND NEVER CUT A THIRD OF THE STORY AND GAME INTO DLC CONTENT UNLIKE SOME DUMB **** COMPANIES THAT DO WITH THEIR GAMES.

see what you did, of course I am joking around but you reap what you sow because you triggered my FFXV Vietnam flashbacks you monster

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Right here.

I just want my Dolphin Park stage, okay.
Hopefully this means that we can get the F-Zero and Wave Race solidarity for two racing games that haven't seen action since the GameCube
Hell yeah I love F-Zero. I struggle to think what Nintendo could do with a new one on the racing side of things since Wipeout HD Fury spoiled me with an incredible futuristic racer but maybe an adventure mode a la Diddy Kong Racing or even Burnout Paradise would be a neat twist...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Fixed
realistically speaking, Hector is the one character that would please the most FE fans without absolutely pissing off the Smash fanbase
I know the Smash fans, they would be ticked off no matter who gets included.
Okay, supposing that the Big N were mulling over Warioware Gold planning a couple years before it came out, and that they were deliberately steadily downplaying Ashley promotion in the meantime (extending to the AT), do you guys think we might get a Warioware character as DLC?
Mona, please...

Untouch

Smash Master
I feel Noctis is incredibly unlikely seeing how Sakurai already rejected him when he picked Cloud.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Fixed
realistically speaking, Hector is the one character that would please the most FE fans without absolutely pissing off the Smash fanbase
I mean you're not wrong.

Hector really is the one Fire Emblem character that seems to most often get a pass from the Smash fanbase's FE hatedom. Hector transcends fanbases lol.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I mean why would Nintendo NOT use the Ballot
They've noted support for K. Rool and you're fooling yourself if you think Geno's fans are vocal minorities; they got him a Mii costume, Sakurai stated he has a lot of fan demand.
Geno's Mii Costume could've been a combination of fan demand and Sakurai wanting him in the game though, with any lack of demand being offset by Sakurai himself. I'd personally imagine that the Geno Mii Costume was more Sakurai than fan demand.

Also, if they're looking at Choose Your Legends, why not un-AT the winner of the first one, Lyn, instead of adding someone from the second one where she likely would've won again if she wasn't banned?

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Yes, Nintendo probably had marketing in mind when choosing characters.
But that doesn't mean all of them have to promote an upcoming game. I only expect one or maybe two that fill this focus.
The others would probably specifically appeal to a casual or hardcore fanbase.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
How did Warioware Gold even do saleswise? And in that case if you were going to add Ashley then why bother including the AT?

She's no doubt the most popular Warioware character, but I don't know if she'd be big enough for Nintendo to give her a Fighter's Pass spot.
It seems to have done decently well for a game that's on a console that's steadily on its way out.

I mean that they've noticeably realised that they promoted her too much (as evidenced with the character spotlight vids starting off with Mona), so nowadays they're starting to actually let the other characters get attention, as it should.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
I mean why would Nintendo NOT use the Ballot
They've noted support for K. Rool and you're fooling yourself if you think Geno's fans are vocal minorities; they got him a Mii costume, Sakurai stated he has a lot of fan demand.
I hope they use the ballot because I think a lot of fans will be pleased. I guess my main doubt is whether or not they'd pick 2 SE DLC characters (Sora & Geno). If they choose to only go after 1 SE rep then I think Sora would make more money. Meaning Geno is tossed by the wayside.

Fingers crossed that they used the ballot. I think Geno's chances are good if they used the ballot. Only time will tell...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Geno's Mii Costume could've been a combination of fan demand and Sakurai wanting him in the game though, with any lack of demand being offset by Sakurai himself. I'd personally imagine that the Geno Mii Costume was more Sakurai than fan demand.
Was waiting for you to come back and **** my **** up TPC

I don't know why you would imagine that when Sakurai has stated numerous times he understands how badly people want Geno
I don't know why we have to go against his word on this one small thing you get?
It's very, very obvious a large amount of people want Geno, enough for Sakurai to notice.

D

Deleted member

I mean you're not wrong.

Hector really is the one Fire Emblem character that seems to most often get a pass from the Smash fanbase's FE hatedom. Hector transcends fanbases lol.
Hector: *gets seal that should make his weapon pointless but turns out to be a buff*
*Powercreeps himself*
*Only launch unit still relevant*
Hector singlehandledly keeps managing to break any expected outcomes and turns them all in his favor.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think it'd be unlikely for Nintendo to give Sakurai at least one character from the ballot as a possible selection.

Afterall, they finally woke up and allowed K. Rool to come back.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Clearly Nintendo will pick Galeem as a DLC character to promote their upcoming game, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Wait a minute...

Potato_

Smash Lord
AT LEAST XENOBLADE 2 WAS A FULL GAME AND NEVER CUT A THIRD OF THE STORY AND GAME INTO DLC CONTENT UNLIKE SOME DUMB **** COMPANIES THAT DO WITH THEIR GAMES.

see what you did, of course I am joking around but you reap what you sow because you triggered my FFXV Vietnam flashbacks you monster
HEY

you know what

those are some facts right there.

I mean I liked XV but the characters are definitely the biggest reason why. At least the core 4 anyways. Not my favorite FF but not my least favorite either.

I also wouldn't be opposed to Noctis but I don't think it'll be him for Smash.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I hope they use the ballot because I think a lot of fans will be pleased. I guess my main doubt is whether or not they'd pick 2 SE DLC characters (Sora & Geno). If they choose to only go after 1 SE rep then I think Sora would make more money. Meaning Geno is tossed by the wayside.

Fingers crossed that they used the ballot. I think Geno's chances are good if they used the ballot. Only time will tell...
Sora would not benefit Nintendo, it'd really only benefit Squenix.
I'd replace Sora with a DQ rep here. Sora's still in the running but DQ seems more likely.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Exactly, so really I don't think that "brand new character that ties in with a new game" is top priority. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it, because there would probably be an initial burst of sales from people hyped to see that character in Smash, but it would no doubt be mixed in with other big names that would sell, probably even more so.
Actually Nintendo would make more money off of the game sales they would make with Smash Bros. promoting a new title. A $60 game rakes in more money than a $6 character and stage.

All in all, the best way to make a profit would be to:

A. Put in a universally popular character that everyone knows and is not just fan favorite with the community.
B. Put in a character that will promote a new game.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Yeah, no way Ashley's gonna be dlc.

Smash 6 though, that's another story...

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I feel Noctis is incredibly unlikely seeing how Sakurai already rejected him when he picked Cloud.
Do you have a source for that?

FF15 didn't come out until October 2016 so I don't know why Noctis would be in competition with Cloud, when Cloud was added to the roster in 2015.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
First skit Incineroar.

*all of the Smash Bros. villains are at a party together (Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Wario Wolf, Bowser Jr., Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus

Ganondorf: As the literal embodiment of evil in my world, I am truly curious, what makes you guys believe that you are truly worthy of the title, villain? *smirks

Bowser: Hahahaha, I have been antagonizing the Mushroom Kingdom for over 30 years, and countless times kidnapped Princess Peach. I have been close on a few occasions to becoming a god.

Bowser Jr.: Yeah what papa said, but I have only been at it for over 15 years unfortunately. I am often the one leading the charge for my daddy's plans.

King Dedede: I am real piece of work. I stole of the food in Dream Land, and constantly harass Kirby for no given reason.

Meta Knight: I was going to take over Dream Land and install an authoritarian dictatorship.

Wario: Waaaaa. I kicked Mario out of his home and put a bucket on his said.

Bowser Jr: Weeeeaaakk

Wario: Waaahahah. I also regularly steal and swindle from my employees who consider me a "friend". WAHAHAHA I just go on my quests to get richer.

Bowser Jr.: Jerky. But still weak compared to me and my papa.

Wolf: Heh, I can relate to Wario. I am a ruthless mercenary. Even willing to sell my services to a mad scientist who wanted to take over the universe.

*Ridley and K. Rool are laughing at this

ridleykroollaughing.png

K. Rool: They really think being selfish alone and simply having their pathetic rivals go on a journey, makes them "villains."

Ridley: Listen up. You are about to hear some big leagues stuff.

K. Rool: Like King Dedede, I stole all the food from my stupid dimwitted nemesis. But I always learned every time and made sure to kidnap him and his friends. If only I also got that beret wearing one? What's her name again? Daisy? Whatever she is not important, what is important is that unlike all of you simpletons and low class bullies, I actually stepped things up whenever I was defeated. When it became clear that kidnapping would not work, I determined I needed a final solution to the monkey menace. My BLAST-O-MATIC would not only have liquidated all Kongs, but would have completely destroyed their homeland.

Ridley: I will give K. Rool props for at least never being a buddy to his nemesis, however, have you (K. Rool) ever done anything that sticked? Like I don't know. Kill their parents?

*a few gasps in the room and mostly silence

Ridley: You see. I did not just kill them. I also ate their bodies and personally told Samus that their meat was good for repairing my wounds from my Space Pirate assault on her childhood home. I have done HUNDREDS of these kind of attacks over the years, and hear is the thing. I love to kill. I believe might is right, and few are mightier than me.

K. Rool: *crosses arms It is not my fault my franchise is only Rated E for Everyone.

Ridley: Maybe some day you will go up to E10+ like Mr. Evil Incarnate over there (Ganondorf).

Dark Samus: Ridley and Ganondorf are the only two that could be considered "evil" by objective standard. However, it is one thing to kill. Cause destruction. Create suffering. Its another thing entirely when you twist the knife. In another life, I singlehandedly warped and destroyed an entire planet's ecosystem. I mutated most of the life into violent monsters through spreading phazon. My wrath was so total, I even made the dead restless (Chozo Ghosts). When I gained... this form. I was angry. I hated what I had become. I most of all hated who made me what I am. But I was hungry. I hungered for phazon. For a while I was just an animal only concerned where my next meal was going to be while seeking to punish my nemesis any way I could. But all this time I was plotting. I knew I was destined for more. Not just an animal. No. Not a just sapient being. No. A GOD! I would take what I did to Tallon IV and do it to the whole universe! Every creature, conscious and unconscious would bend itself to my will. I first brainwashed a band of Pirates, and punished those who questioned me with death. Once I found the source of all Phazon, I began my scheme not only to become the god of my universe, but also to extract the most cruel and poetic of revenge upon my nemesis. Once I had finished brainwashing an entire sapient race to do my bidding (the Space Pirates), I used them to begin my warpath to conquest. I personally lead the assault on the GFS Valhalla and personally ordered the Space Pirates to throw any survivors into the vacuum of space. They had a most painful death. A stark warning for those who would ever dare to oppose me, I then launched living intergalactic missiles at four worlds. Urtragha (the Pirate Homeworld), Elysia, Bryyo, and Norion. I personally lead the attack on the last one with Ridley as a fellow field commander.

Ridley: *smirks I remember that well

Dark Samus: My attacks on Urtragha, Elysia, and Bryyo were successful. However, Norion failed... Or did it? It took the combined efforts of Samus Aran and the best bounty hunters in the galaxy to thwart the Leviathan assault on Norion. But not without a price. I personally embedded a seed of phazon corruption within all of them. From there, began my personal revenge on Aran. Her comrades fell swiftly to my will, but Aran.... is a different breed. Her will is legendary. I expected as such. Even if she would not fall to my will, I would make her suffer along the way. One by one she killed her comrades. Each death inflicting a mental and spiritual scar that will never fade. Their deaths by her hand, and watching their last moments in writhing agony. However, my design did not end there. No. I planned for her to suffer the same fate as she had imbued onto me. She would eventually become me, just as I had become myself. From there, she would become my slave. No... far worse. She would have a mouth, but be unable to scream. I would leave her inner conscious alive and seeing... and make her existence a living hell. She would scream in torment internally and eternally as I would use her body commit innumerable atrocities by my command. I had hundreds of worlds marked for phazon corruption and my aurora unit was making the final calculations to send them all at once to overwhelm the Federation army, and kills billions upon billions of sapient beings to re-shape the entire universe in my image through phazon mutation and corruption. I made no mistakes. Aran's will was simply too strong, but had the battle lasted a bit longer on Phaaze I would have won, and won for all time.

*Ganondorf claps
*Ridley wipes away a tear away from his eye
*everyone is silent and in awe

Wolf: So uh. How much is the pay?

*a chuckling in the corner is heard

Incineroar: Child's play. But that last one spun a good yarn I will give her, it, whatever that.

*the whole room laughs at Incineroar

Ganondorf: Oooooh a Pokemon with a flaming belt.

K. Rool: So what did you do kitty cat? Poop outside the litter box? Scratch up all of your trainer's furniture. Hairball all over every carpet?

*room laughs even harder at Incineroar

*Incineroar just smirks

Incineroar: Dreams... those things.... they are the conception of reality.

*looks at his oversized paw and clenches his fist.

Incineroar: Anything that ever happens. Begins with a thought... a dream. You crush a dream. You do more than hurt someone. You hurt EXISTENCE itself.

*starts pacing

Incineroar: As a wrestling heel, I relish in being hated. DESPISED. The boos and hisses of the audience empower me. Their tears quench my thirst. I can never get enough. So I figured who lives entirely by dreams. Who does nothing but dream? Why.... manchildren. Sad pathetic creatures. Their entire existence consumed by the media they enjoy and entertainment they consume. All day they argue. They spit. They rave about their pitiful cartoons, shows, movies, and video games.

*Incineroar raises his fist in the air

Incineroar: I made it MY DREAM to crush, annihilate, pulverize, obliterate, and completely and utterly destroy the dreams of manchildren. I love reading their anger. Their impotent vitriol. Nothing is a sweeter sonnet to my ears than to watch these wretched creatures gnash and whine. Of all the franchises that these people cherish, none is more important to them than Smash Bros. Why... they spend YEARS simply babbling about a game that has not even been announced yet. They pin their hopes on particular beings making it in, and depending on how likely or unlikely it appears their prospects, it could either raise them into elysium or plunge them into hades.

*wraps arm around K. Rool

Incineroar: So this mean ol' kitty cat took it upon himself to do just that.,, You see. Aside from being pathetic, manchildren also believe what they want to believe especially when it something that makes them feel good. And nothing makes feel better than their little character of choice getting into Smash Bros.

Incineroar: You're a mean one.... Mr. Heel *Incineroar chuckles

Wolf: You were the one.... you were the one behind that Grinch leak..

*points to self

Incineroar: I have all the tender sweetness of a seasick Feraligatr. As you know a little money can go a long way. I payed the finest art designers and a professional company to make that banner. I took attention to the closest of details. Ken's flaming shoryken. Mach Rider's gun (the gun that looked similar to the one that Sakurai used for Ultimate for an unknown character). Isaac's vines. It had to be real because no one could think to use those things. Or so those babies told themselves. But when you have professional artists pay to do something anything is... possible.

*The whole room gasps

Incineroar: I broke the dreams of millions upon millions of fanboys. And I relished in every second of it.

King Dedede: You know, I have been an ally to Kirby just as much as I have been an antagonist. I do not belong here.

*King Dedede leaves

Bowser: Yeah, I helped out Mario a few times too.

*Bowser leaves

Bowser Jr.: Wahh. I am just a kid, I just do what my papa tells me to do like a good son.

*Bowser Jr. leaves

Meta Knight: I only did one act of villainy. After that, I have always been honorable.

*Meta Knight leaves

Wolf: I am a mercenary not a villain.

*Wolf leaves

Wario: *farts Heh heh. Excuse me

*Wario leaves

*Ganondorf, Ridley, K. Rool, and Dark Samus are all that is left.

*both of K. Rool's eyes are now bloodshot and bugging out
*Ridley and Ganondorf look awkward and nervous
*Dark Samus is in a corner sobbing that she is no longer the most villainous character on the roster

Incineroar: All will be brought to heel. *points to self and smirks

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It could always get worse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget that Noctis would certainly be a Cloud echo and it was stated that the 5 DLCs won't be echos.

Edit: I'm an idiot and mixed up Noctis and Zack...

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Actually Nintendo would make more money off of the game sales they would make with Smash Bros. promoting a new title. A $60 game rakes in more money than a $6 character and stage.

All in all, the best way to make a profit would be to:

A. Put in a universally popular character that everyone knows and is not just fan favorite with tje community.
B. Put in a character that will promote a new game.
This is my exact point though.

People here are acting like the whole thing is going to be pure promotion.

They would make pretty good profit with a combined new game and character reveal in Smash, I'm not denying that. But to act like people like Sora are outright deconfirmed because their game isn't on the Switch doesn't make sense to me. Sora would flat out sell the game to a lot of people.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This is my exact point though.

People here are acting like the whole thing is going to be pure promotion.

They would make pretty good profit with a combined new game and character reveal in Smash, I'm not denying that. But to act like people like Sora are outright deconfirmed because their game isn't on the Switch doesn't make sense to me. Sora would flat out sell the game to a lot of people.
And would flat out sell KH3, which isn't on the Switch, to so many more
I think you're blowing the amount of people who would buy Smash just for Sora way outta proportion, as I am probably for people who would buy KH3 due to Sora. But either way it seems risky for Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Sora would not benefit Nintendo, it'd really only benefit Squenix.
I'd replace Sora with a DQ rep here. Sora's still in the running but DQ seems more likely.
This is kinda my biggest gripe with Sora, to be honest. While yes, ports of previous Kingdom Hearts games have been released and there might be a chance of them coming to Switch, the sheer magnitude of Kingdom Hearts 3 overshadows them easily. And remember, they aren't coming onto the Switch, so it'd practically be a huge marketing advert for the last year of the PlayStation 4 before next gen comes.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Here's what I'm guessing:

1. A fighter that was formerly a Mii costume
2. A fighter that was formerly an assist trophy
3. A Square Enix character
4. A character from Bandai Namco's fighting games
5. ????? (AKA a wild card character)

For 5, I'm thinking it'll be either a character from Rhythm Heaven, a character from Dragon Quest, or someone from an obscure game.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Shoulda been the FE Mascot. Change my mind.
She is in Heroes! She's in almost every game! I don't even mind the sheer amount of Awakening we have in Smash now but hot damn, people talk Hector and Lyn when Anna needs her day in the sun!

(Hector and Lyn are fine it's just...c'mon, guys. Anna.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom