• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I can't believe people are saying DQ is less recognisable than ****ing Geno I give up on this community

KMDP

Smash Legend
All this Squenix talk makes me want to rank which Square rep I most want to see

So I ranked 'em...

1. Lara Croft
2. Tifa/Sephiroth
3. Sora
4. DQ rep
5. Crono
6. Geno
Yeah, that's pretty much the order I'd put them in in terms of likelihood.

Whether that means you have good taste or not is subjective. :laugh:

The one thing about Lara Croft is that (realistic) guns are a big part of her characterisation (unless you use the most recent incarnation of her, but Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Ryu, Ken and Simon kinda prove that they prefer to go old-school with their third party characters), so that might dock points for her, but if that means Tifa gets to be #1 most likely Square rep that works for me...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can't believe people are saying DQ is less recognisable than ****ing Geno I give up on this community
That's not what they said, though.

They said the Dragon Quest Heroes aren't as easy to recognize than Geno. Slime is more recognizable than both.

I don't agree with this, that said. I'd say Geno is the least recognizable, but what he does have going for him is clear fan demand and that Sakurai wants him in. Clearly it didn't get him into base, so it might not mean that much anyway.

However, no Hero has gotten into a crossover before, so that may play a role too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"VGAs (aka the casual gamer audience) would recognize Geno more than Dragon Quest" is logic you will only find in a Smash Bros. thread.
And it's actually laughable and sad-
Which hurt my soul as a Square-Enix fan
...The things that happen while I'm in bed. It's like saying Commando is more iconic than The Terminator, what were they thinking?

Anyway, just ignore the few ignorant people, they don't represent the community as a whole (and probably should be sacked, but I can't say they violated any rules).

Yeah, that's pretty much the order I'd put them in in terms of likelihood.

Whether that means you have good taste or not is subjective. :laugh:

The one thing about Lara Croft is that (realistic) guns are a big part of her characterisation (unless you use the most recent incarnation of her, but Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Ryu, Ken and Simon kinda prove that they prefer to go old-school with their third party characters), so that might dock points for her, but if that means Tifa gets to be #1 most likely Square rep that works for me...
We'd be lucky if SE agrees to any of those. It's like they're allergic to making money at the moment, but we'll see what happens.

That's not what they said, though.

They said the Dragon Quest Heroes aren't as easy to recognize than Geno. Slime is more recognizable than both.

I don't agree with this, that said. I'd say Geno is the least recognizable, but what he does have going for him is clear fan demand and that Sakurai wants him in. Clearly it didn't get him into base, so it might not mean that much anyway.

However, no Hero has gotten into a crossover before, so that may play a role too.
Oh, I see.

Until recently, DQ's been having struggles being seen as iconic in the West, not only is it dwarfed by Final Fantasy in the public consciousness, some of the spin-off entries never got exported at all, never mind some of the ports and original versions of major entries. Luckily things are finally starting to change, though seeing X be brought over is still a tough call.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
To be fair I haven't seen anyone support this the last couple pages, so I think a good amount of the community can still think straight and is worth not giving up on :)

Maybe I'm looking at patterns too much but, I feel like Sora or a DQ rep or any Square rep is too early for our first dlc character. Maybe it doesn't matter. But I think it's totally a possibility the only Smash thing we get at VGA is a PP release date.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
My predictions -
Geno/Sora - I can’t picture them putting in a Dragon Quest character simply because DQ isn’t very popular in the states, and I feel like they would go with characters that everyone would be pleased with. Anyways, I say it’s a coin toss between these 2 at this point. Take your pick.

Minecraft Steve - Either we’re getting a Minecraft spirit we have yet to see, or he’s in.

Katalina - Gonna assume the worst and say she’s there. I want to say she’s not likely, but you never know with Smash anymore, so I’ll just leave her here. As a failsafe, if she’s deconfirmed, replace this spot with Rayman or Shantae

Monster Hunter - Can’t believe no one is talking about this. They had a Mii Fighter costume in smash 4, Rathalos is an assist trophy and possibly a boss in World of Light, and we still have yet too see that Monster Hunter stage. So either that stage is exclusive to Spirits, or we’re getting that stage with Monster Hunter. Plus it’s a huge series, both in the states and in Japan.

Banjo-Kazooie - Sounds like a dream pick, but there is a lot of evidence. He got trademarked by Nintendo earlier this year for a game to release in 2018, K Rool was also trademarked around the time that they would have decided on the roster, way back when on the If There Was A Smash 2 Poll, he outranked a lot of characters (most notably Diddy, Meta Knight, Zelda, Sheik, Toad, Marth, and only 2 votes below Mewtwo and 3 below Ganondorf), and of course if Nintendo and Microsoft talk about Smash for Minecraft Steve, I seriously they wouldn’t bring up the elephant in the room that is Banjo-Kazooie.

That’s my predictions, feel free to critique them.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Look, out of the realistic choices I'm a big fan of Tifa, Erdrick, and Slime...but my heart yearns for 2B and my soul wants Neku.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I put my 'predictions' into image form a while back: some personal bias, but mainly based around the suggestions of leaks.
predictions.png
Agnes: With Third now on the way for Switch, Bravely Default is Square's most relevant IP for Nintendo. Plus, personal bias.
Elma: Again, personal bias. Lack of Xenoblade X content in the base game makes me hope it'll be included later down the line.
Katalina: Yeah I got ****ing nothing for this one. Design's pretty cool, I guess - and hey, Uematsu did the battle themes. Neat.
Bandana Dee: Extremely popular in Japan, but oddly absent. Sakurai's Kirby bias is clearly going strong with World of Light, so I'll put this one under likely.
Steve: I really REALLY had to reach for the music here. Still, even today Minecraft's stupid popular, so I can see this one happening.

KMDP

Smash Legend
My predictions -
Geno/Sora - I can’t picture them putting in a Dragon Quest character simply because DQ isn’t very popular in the states, and I feel like they would go with characters that everyone would be pleased with. Anyways, I say it’s a coin toss between these 2 at this point. Take your pick.

Minecraft Steve - Either we’re getting a Minecraft spirit we have yet to see, or he’s in.

Katalina - Gonna assume the worst and say she’s there. I want to say she’s not likely, but you never know with Smash anymore, so I’ll just leave her here. As a failsafe, if she’s deconfirmed, replace this spot with Rayman or Shantae

Monster Hunter - Can’t believe no one is talking about this. They had a Mii Fighter costume in smash 4, Rathalos is an assist trophy and possibly a boss in World of Light, and we still have yet too see that Monster Hunter stage. So either that stage is exclusive to Spirits, or we’re getting that stage with Monster Hunter. Plus it’s a huge series, both in the states and in Japan.

Banjo-Kazooie - Sounds like a dream pick, but there is a lot of evidence. He got trademarked by Nintendo earlier this year for a game to release in 2018, K Rool was also trademarked around the time that they would have decided on the roster, way back when on the If There Was A Smash 2 Poll, he outranked a lot of characters (most notably Diddy, Meta Knight, Zelda, Sheik, Toad, Marth, and only 2 votes below Mewtwo and 3 below Ganondorf), and of course if Nintendo and Microsoft talk about Smash for Minecraft Steve, I seriously they wouldn’t bring up the elephant in the room that is Banjo-Kazooie.

That’s my predictions, feel free to critique them.
My totally unbiased critique is that you think Geno and Sora are more likely than Tifa.

More seriously, Vergeben has said that Katalina might not be happening, he's heard murmurings, but the deal might have fallen through (which might be why it's free to be discussed... or something like that).
We'd be lucky if SE agrees to any of those. It's like they're allergic to making money at the moment, but we'll see what happens.
If it turns out that Cloud + Midgar + 2 Songs is all we're getting in the base Smash game and there aren't even any FF7 Spirits? That'll be the confimation that Square Enix are absolutely insane. XD

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
You mean the community who thougth two random chairs in the background of a video presentation were hinting at a character?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Eeveemon is the best Digimon.
Eevee's getting pushed pretty hard right now, I wouldn't be shocked if that results in a Smash 6 inclusion (probably not, but it takes a lot of guts to be put side by side with :ultpikachu:as far as game marketing goes).

You mean the community who thougth two random chairs in the background of a video presentation were hinting at a character?
Granted, the chairs turned out to reference a rather obscure Nintendo-related thing no one ever thought about.

What I question though is the couch and pillows. That had nothing to do with anything, and I wasn't banking on Skull Kid anyway.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
If the Square rep is going to be announced at the VGA then I have a hard time imagining it would be Geno. The community knows who he is, but most gamers outside of the online Smash circle don’t.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think it’s funny you guys think you understand the casual audience and award ceremonies. Award ceremonies are outdated and not ratings grabbers for any medium much anymore. They’re dying out.

And you know why? Even diehards are tunining out of them and that’s who mainly watches them.

This pertain to the VGAs as well. Joe Blo Average Gamer who comes home and plays maybe an hour or two of gaming before bed everynight doesn’t care about the VGAs.

Just like he doesn’t care about if Meryl Streep is gonna win her 900th Oscar.

So yeah. Award ceremonies are for diehard audiences. The notion they are anything but is laughable if you look at their recent struggles to maintain an audience.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I put my 'predictions' into image form a while back: some personal bias, but mainly based around the suggestions of leaks.
Agnes: With Third now on the way for Switch, Bravely Default is Square's most relevant IP for Nintendo. Plus, personal bias.
Elma: Again, personal bias. Lack of Xenoblade X content in the base game makes me hope it'll be included later down the line.
Katalina: Yeah I got ****ing nothing for this one. Design's pretty cool, I guess - and hey, Uematsu did the battle themes. Neat.
Bandana Dee: Extremely popular in Japan, but oddly absent. Sakurai's Kirby bias is clearly going strong with World of Light, so I'll put this one under likely.
Steve: I really REALLY had to reach for the music here. Still, even today Minecraft's stupid popular, so I can see this one happening.
I hate to be that guy, but Elma is not likely at all. They’ve went on record to say that they have no interest in porting X, so I doubt they would promote a game they have no interest in reintroducing to the public eye. Honestly, if we’re getting an

KMDP

Smash Legend
Do you think this helps Agumon chances to enter Smash?
Who can say?

It definitely doesn't hurt his chances, that's for sure.

To summarize for people who don't know: Bandai Namco are the owners of both Tamagotchi and Digimon (they're essentially two sides of the same coin), as everyone knows Bandai Namco are also helping to produce Smash Bros., as they have been since Smash 4.

This could very well be some kind of deal to get Agumon in Smash (unlikely, but possible).
Agumon is the best Yu-Gi-Oh card :yoshi:
Come over to the Agumon side, Zinith.

It'll be more Reptiles for you to play with.

Who knows, one of his alts might even be green.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think it’s funny you guys think you understand the casual audience and award ceremonies. Award ceremonies are outdated and not ratings grabbers for any medium much anymore. They’re dying out.

And you know why? Even diehards are tunining out of them and that’s who mainly watches them.

This pertain to the VGAs as well. Joe Blo Average Gamer who comes home and plays maybe an hour or two of gaming before bed everynight doesn’t care about the VGAs.
>Video games awards 2017 get literally 11.5 million people watching it
>It's dying

Did I miss something?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I hate to be that guy, but Elma is not likely at all. They’ve went on record to say that they have no interest in porting X, so I doubt they would promote a game they have no interest in reintroducing to the public eye. Honestly, if we’re getting an
Glad you died before you could finish that post I was worried you'd say something stupid

They didn't say there's no interest in porting X, they said it's a tough game to port because it's a huge game that was built with the Wii U in mind. There's a difference.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You realize there are tv shows that get cancelled that have ratings that size all the time right?
The Problem is that it's the contrary with the VGA it started as a dying awards that no one care, and it changed in the past 3 years where video games developer do announce big things there and more and more people are watching it.

Like what the hell are you talking about?

Also
>Using TV as an exemple for Vidéo games culture

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
32A92CC9-8C9B-4691-B5C0-CB5CF67BD75B.jpeg

I saw this earlier today and I just couldn’t stop laughing. Thought I’d share it here.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
If it turns out that Cloud + Midgar + 2 Songs is all we're getting in the base Smash game and there aren't even any FF7 Spirits? That'll be the confimation that Square Enix are absolutely insane. XD
I think I saw a spirit of Zack if my sight and memory don't deceive me

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Problem is that it's the contrary with the VGA it started as a dying awards that no one care, and it changed in the past 3 years where video games developer do announce big things there and more and more people are watching it.

Like what the hell are you talking about?

Also
>Using TV as an exemple for Vidéo games culture
I honestly give up with you. I never seem to get respect in counter arguments with you, but if you think casual gamers tune into awards ceremonies for announcements? You’re wrong.

They wait till their online later.

And there’s cross pollination between fans who watch tv and gaming but you know like I said I’ve never legit said anything that seems to matter to you soooo...

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'm hoping for Terra Branford to be the Square Enix rep...
I'd love for Terra to make it to Smash, just to see how Sakurai would implement the Trance mechanic
I've never ever played a Dragon Quest game (sadly :( (but that will change when I get 11 later)) and even I know that's full on crazy. Why I am always in my bed, when the crazies come out?
Also I've never played Chrono Trigger either, is there any systems I can legally play it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom