• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyblader_Of_Smash

Smash Cadet
And now, today on "Stuff Fandoms Say," it's an entirely new feature; a shiny new
:kirby:
SCREENCAP!
View attachment 176132
Honestly, guys? I have no words for something like this. The excess exclamation points, the poor grammar and punctuation here and there, the misinformation, urging people to not buy the game - this demonstrates the value of taking the good with the bad. It's a hilariously laughable rant that showcases the true spirit of fans who aren't fans at all, and reminds us all that we're happy that we're not this poor schlub.
Do you guys have any snaps or screens of fans of this calibur? Post them here, and we can laugh at the dark side of the base together as one.​
Oh yeah I recognize that guy, it's kinda sad honestly. You'd think people would have something better to do with their time. I said this before but I'm sure everyone is dissappointed the Grinch leak wasn't true but it is what it is. I'm happy we got Ken, Piranha Plant and Incineroar (Who is easily shaping up to be in my personal Top 3 with K. Rool and Inkling.). Whats even more funny to think about is the fact that fans like this will still buy the game anyways.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah. I can throw that here, since y'all are free to believe me or not.
And Apparently it's not a big Problem to share that.

The talk for some Spirits to get added. At least for one third party company that I know someone in. (Which is easy to guess if you ever remember some of my post about U-) was actually pretty late after a certain game got it's greenlight.
Take it as you will since it's just what said person heard-
I'm interested.
22d.gif

Are you saying you know of a 3rd Party representation through Spirits?
And it's actually laughable and sad-
Which hurt my soul as a Square-Enix fan
RPGs wouldn't be half of what they are were it not for DQ. People like to mention FF as the genre's savior but you couldn't save anything if it didn't exist in the first place.
That's not what they said, though.

They said the Dragon Quest Heroes aren't as easy to recognize than Geno. Slime is more recognizable than both.

I don't agree with this, that said. I'd say Geno is the least recognizable, but what he does have going for him is clear fan demand and that Sakurai wants him in. Clearly it didn't get him into base, so it might not mean that much anyway.

However, no Hero has gotten into a crossover before, so that may play a role too.
I don't even know any specific DQ character designs, nor have I ever played a DQ game. But I could instantly say "yeah, that's DQ" because Akira Toriyama's artstyle is more recognisable than Geno ever will.
Sure, Slime is iconic on its own, but to undersell the MCs is just silly.
You mean the community who thougth two random chairs in the background of a video presentation were hinting at a character?
Yeah, I don't know what I expected.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Eh, I guess it wouldn't hurt to...

What an interesting choice of words...

I don't doubt it...

Alright Graizen Graizen put me on the support list
Speaking of Agumon colours, there are three canon colour variations.
Agumon, Agumon (Black) and SnowAgumon.

There are a few more Agumon variations, like Agumon Hakase (Basically "Dr. Agumon") and Bushi Agumon (an Agumon dressed as a Samurai), along with ToyAgumon (an Agumon made of Lego). There are black variations of Agumon Hakase and ToyAgumon as well.

ToyAgumon is much too different from regular Agumon, and the other two are... rare instances, to say the least.

There's also a "SantaAgumon", but that's never appeared outside of the V-Pets and therefore has no artwork that isn't pixel art.
Basically, we'd at the very least get the three basic Agumon variations, along with Blue, Green and Red versions for Team Smash. The blue variation might be Navy Blue, because that's the colouration of the Virus attribute Greymon and MetalGreymon.

This still leaves two slots... which could be the 2006 Agumon and Agumon X.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Mewtwo was announced about a month before Smash for Wii U came out, sort of like Piranha Plant, and released after 5 months. (PP is way more complete though.)

Lucas was announced/shown over 4 months after the release of Smash 4 Wii U, and released after 7 months. This makes sense, as this is about how long the character pipeline is. Keep in mind that Lucas and to a lesser extent Mewtwo & Roy were easier/faster to make than fully new character.

I expect Piranha Plant in February, based on the footage we have seen. I expect the first DLC character to be announced/shown 3-4 months after release, and release 6 months after.

I do not think they will announce a character without showing gameplay footage, and they cannot do that until the character is well into development.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Mewtwo was announced about a month before Smash for Wii U came out, sort of like Piranha Plant, and released after 5 months. (PP is way more complete though.)

Lucas was announced/shown over 4 months after the release of Smash 4 Wii U, and released after 7 months. This makes sense, as this is about how long the character pipeline is. Keep in mind that Lucas and to a lesser extent Mewtwo & Roy were easier/faster to make than fully new character.

I expect Piranha Plant in February, based on the footage we have seen. I expect the first DLC character to be announced/shown 3-4 months after release, and release 6 months after.

I do not think they will announce a character without showing gameplay footage, and they cannot do that until the character is well into development.
They don't have to do 2 versions this time of each piece of DLC, though. Considering we also got Tournament mode, it's possible we could get a mode as DLC.

D

Deleted member

Iirc when they announced Mewtwo it was just his render though, right?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't even know any specific DQ character designs, nor have I ever played a DQ game. But I could instantly say "yeah, that's DQ" because Akira Toriyama's artstyle is more recognisable than Geno ever will.
Sure, Slime is iconic on its own, but to undersell the MCs is just silly.
Right. Was just pointing out that it's not as simple as you put it as. He wasn't talking about the franchise or artstyle specifically. Just that in his opinion, Geno is more recognizable than any specific DQ Hero.

I disagree with his statement, for the record.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Are you saying you know of a 3rd Party representation through Spirits?
I guess I can just be clear after asking to my friends since that kind of discussion went free after the direct aired.
It's one that everyone saw. The Rabbits one/Ubisoft.
The talk to put them in smash was after StarLink got the Star Fox licence/Mario + Rabbits visible sucess...which was pretty late, like, last year-

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Look I'll play with you Nekoo Nekoo that those 11 million viewers were mostly casual gamers (they weren't in my opinion and I think you know those people weren't either)...

It certainly doesn't help your case when you look at the announcements at the VGAS Nintendo has done...

Outside of Breath of the Wild recently?

Do you think they were really going after a casual audience revealing Cranky Kong for Donkey Kong, Bayonetta ports, Bayonetta 3, etc?

Nah. Those are die hard Nintendo fan type announcements.

In fact if any casual viewers DID turn in last year for an announcement, considering the juggernaut it was?

It was Fortnite's and then they probably tuned out. I'd wager there was a spike of viewership for Fortnite's announcement and would actually be interested in seeing if that's the case.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In regards to the VGA, it's pretty simple, if they show a DLC character there it'll be the first one they started development on, regardless of whether it's an obscure character like Geno or an icon like Slime. They're not going to shift around development because of an award show either, the many different 3rd party licenses that are likely to be handled during DLC means there are too many variables in order to adjust themselves to something like that, not least to mention that the priority list for the DLC characters was likely decided on long ago.

Whatever is furthest in development will be shown, where and how it's shown is not going to have a great effect on who it is imo. People are going to be hype anyways, I really think there are some who underestimate how easily hype spreads from the core Smash community and into the wider gaming community, it's much easier to get obscure characters to be popular among the masses than it is to get the core community on board with primarily casual friendly additions, a name trending on Twitter is sometimes enough.

That's not to say it's going to be Geno or whatever, I just don't think you can read much from the situation. I quite frankly don't really care enough to try and guess who might be shown at the VGA, or if anyone is even shown at all, because Ultimate is coming out the day after, so that one newcomer is going to be overshadowed a lot by the 74 characters I'll have access to some hours later. (That's not to say others shouldn't care though, I hope they do, it's just to say I'm not really on any character's side.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Look I'll play with you Nekoo Nekoo that those 11 million viewers were mostly casual gamers (they weren't in my opinion and I think you know those people weren't either)...

It certainly doesn't help your case when you look at the announcements at the VGAS Nintendo has done...

Outside of Breath of the Wild recently?

Do you think they were really going after a casual audience revealing Cranky Kong for Donkey Kong, Bayonetta ports, Bayonetta 3, etc?

Nah. Those are die hard Nintendo fan type announcements.

In fact if any casual viewers DID turn in last year for an announcement, considering the juggernaut it was?

It was Fortnite's and then they probably tuned out. I'd wager there was a spike of viewership for Fortnite's announcement and would actually be interested in seeing if that's the case.
Do you genuinely believe that all casual audiences would like to see out of the Game Awards is Fortnite????

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
They don't have to do 2 versions this time of each piece of DLC, though. Considering we also got Tournament mode, it's possible we could get a mode as DLC.
That's not nearly as big of a development multiplier as you seem to suggest.

Tournament mode also had minimal impact on or shared resources with the character pipeline, and was announced/shown/mostly finished at the time of the 50-fact presentation.

Iirc when they announced Mewtwo it was just his render though, right?
Yeah, I mentioned that PP is way farther along. That's why I expect him (her? it?) in Feb, not April.

Informing all of these thoughts is that the projected development duration posted for the Fighter's Pass--15 months--is the same as the total duration for Smash 4's DLC development. (While Smash 4 got 4 new fighters, 3 returning fighters, 4 new stages, and 4 returning stages, Smash Ultimate is getting 5 new fighters, 0 returning fighters, 5 new stages, and 0 returning stages.)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Good morning y'all!

All good? All fine? Im happy for you.

VGA? When is that? last week of november?
December 6th, the day before Smash Bros. comes out.

:ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it’s funny you guys think you understand the casual audience and award ceremonies. Award ceremonies are outdated and not ratings grabbers for any medium much anymore. They’re dying out.

And you know why? Even diehards are tunining out of them and that’s who mainly watches them.

This pertain to the VGAs as well. Joe Blo Average Gamer who comes home and plays maybe an hour or two of gaming before bed everynight doesn’t care about the VGAs.

Just like he doesn’t care about if Meryl Streep is gonna win her 900th Oscar.

So yeah. Award ceremonies are for diehard audiences. The notion they are anything but is laughable if you look at their recent struggles to maintain an audience.
I'm gonna talk about the Oscar thing because, while I can't argue for VGA, I can say that example is a load of bull****.
Oscars are certainly not dying in the general public, it's still what they use to see what are the "really good movies" and I had teachers back in High School telling us to watch them even though they had nothing to do with their classes. Oscars are still a big event to basically anyone who watches movies and even if you hate them for any number of reasons(like almost everyone studying film) you still watch those for the fact they're still considered an authority in the film industry.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Do you genuinely believe that all casual audiences would like to see out of the Game Awards is Fortnite????
No, but a majority of 2017's game announcements were specifically not catered to them. There weren't many mega watt franchises that they're going to instantly recognize. It was a lot of smaller IPs and new ones.

And that tends to be a typical trend with the VGAs, because they're mostly catered to a die hard gaming audience, because that is who Knightley can guarantee is actually gonna sit down and invest time in watching a majority of the ceremony.

A casual gamer might sit down for like 20 minutes sure, but you're not gonna grasp him with ''And Nintendo wins for -x award here-" because he's just playing video games to play video games for a few hours for fun.

It's not like a major investment of his life.

So you get your viewers through your die hards and the announcements catered towards them.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I've noticed some people (okay I've said this before I'll admit) say that a DQ character won't be revealed at the VGAs, but wouldn't this be the best time?
Japan is going to be interested in the character regardless of where it is announced, but the West won't. Announcing it at a primarily Western focused event would get the attention of people that would probably have ignored it otherwise.

D

Deleted member

wtf???? this is really disappointing.... please tell me it's optional
Who even lurks at the ledge that long in the first place

The game is trying to get you to play offensively not defensively, hence dodging being nerfed and such. Ledge regrabbing over and over is stupid anyways

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I think it’s funny you guys think you understand the casual audience and award ceremonies. Award ceremonies are outdated and not ratings grabbers for any medium much anymore. They’re dying out.

And you know why? Even diehards are tunining out of them and that’s who mainly watches them.

This pertain to the VGAs as well. Joe Blo Average Gamer who comes home and plays maybe an hour or two of gaming before bed everynight doesn’t care about the VGAs.
I consider myself a hardcore gaming man and I wish I had two hours before bed every night.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm gonna talk about the Oscar thing because, while I can't argue for VGA, I can say that example is a load of bull****.
Oscars are certainly not dying in the general public, it's still what they use to see what are the "really good movies" and I had teachers back in High School telling us to watch them even though they had nothing to do with their classes. Oscars are still a big event to basically anyone who watches movies and even if you hate them for any number of reasons(like almost everyone studying film) you still watch those for the fact they're still considered an authority in the film industry.
Explain that to their ratings and struggle to find a new identity.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/abc-oscar-changes-ratings-popular-film-1202899515/
http://fortune.com/2018/03/05/oscars-ratings-academy-awards-viewership/
https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2018/03/05/oscar-ratings-plummet-to-all-time-low.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/business/media/academy-awards-ratings-viewership-abc.html

The past few years they've struggled to have an actual audience and keep new viewers because the younger generation and even the older are tired of the Hollywood pat on the back to one another.

I mean I can find more articles if you like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

D

Deleted member

My DLC predictions:

Crash, Agumon, Sora, Banjo and Steve
Rayman will probably be in Banjo's place purely because they probably wouldn't add two DLC characters from the same third-party company.
I hate that Steve's more likely than Banjo too, but Lord Vergeben has spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom