• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calane

Smash Ace
Even if you did, stick to your guns. Most people have gotten BTFO'd at least once anyway.
That's true. It stresses me out when I put my thoughts out there, but I try to force myself to do it anyway. I might not always be right, or particularly well spoken, but I try.

It's why I don't post a lot.

Uh... Keeping this more Smash related, I do still think a Hero makes the most sense for a playable DQ rep. Erdrick, Eight, or the Luminary seem like the most likely choices among them.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That's true. It stresses me out when I put my thoughts out there, but I try to force myself to do it anyway. I might not always be right, or particularly well spoken, but I try.

Uh... Keeping this more Smash related, I do still think a Hero makes the most sense for a playable DQ rep. Erdrick, Eight, or the Luminary seem like the most likely choices among them.
Dude, we're just a bunch of average joes who happen to like the same series of games. No need to impress anyone.

Erdrick's still probably one of the more popular ones, and I think seeing his design in 3D, provided he doesn't get re-designed too much would be cool. Unless he has a redesign that I don't know of. Eight has his Super Saiyan Rose form going for him at least, for all the ****posting that might be worth it.

Gks1

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0697-2103-4616
Octopath is a game of Square Enix. They can take us one of his characters from Octopath Traveler

Calane

Smash Ace
Dude, we're just a bunch of average joes who happen to like the same series of games. No need to impress anyone.

Erdrick's still probably one of the more popular ones, and I think seeing his design in 3D, provided he doesn't get re-designed too much would be cool. Unless he has a redesign that I don't know of. Eight has his Super Saiyan Rose form going for him at least, for all the ****posting that might be worth it.
Lol, I see. I'm sort of an awkward guy who has a hard time socializing with others. It's something I'm working on, but I tend to take small things way more seriously than I should.

As for Erdrick's design in 3D, you can see what it might look like in this video here:

By the way, Eight going Super Saiyan Rosé during his Final Smash would be the greatest thing ever.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Hey gang, is there a list or compilation somewhere of all the info we have been learning over the last week?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The English-speaking audience that actively watches things like the TGAs for game announcements would definitely be more aware of Geno simply from Smash speculation and leaks than they would any specific Dragon Quest character.
Ah yes. More people in the Casual Video Game fanbase that will watch VGA, who area mismatch of tons of different group of people and genre fans will recognize that Characters from a single SNES RPG game than a character from the potential GOTY and Best RPG of said Video Game Awards of a series that is the god father of RPG.

You know that DQ had a game like...just this year right? :4pacman:

I'll be sorry, but that's what I meant by the "Hypocrisy" of people fan of a certain Characters.
In your posts you seems to discard every aspect that shows that Sora or a DQ Protagonist are possible only to say "Well since both are out it means that only Geno is in."
Look how easy your line of reasoning is.

As for the “Square doesn’t care about Geno” post, could you provide a source?
Who need a source on this when it's obvious?

Neither Square or Nintendo give a **** about Geno. Nintendo and/or Square didn't want to use him in 20years not was referenced in any Mario anniversary and the only time a game he appears as Cameo get remade he completely disappear not leaving any traces.

Only Sakurai want Geno, but Nintendo or Square doesn't see any future in it or gain to promote whatever since they doesn't care about him.

So I guess we can rules him out and with your line of thinking both Sora and DQ are out.

Lez go! Neku for the VGA :4pacman:

That's why I ****ing hate that kind of line of thinking and people promoting it as "Oh yeah that guy makes good points" when it's just a game of "LALALALALALALA I WONT LISTEN TO THE GOOD POINT I'LL JUST SAY WHY YOURS IS IMPOSSIBLE LALALALALALALA"

Last edited:

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
I'd say the choices boil down to:

Tifa or Sephiroth
I'd say it can't be any FF rep other than those two (except maybe Moogle or Chocobo), because they've made their bed with Final Fantasy in Smash being specifically FF7 and not just Final Fantasy in general.
Sephiroth has the caveat that they must accommodate his giant sword, it's certainly doable, but Tifa would be way easier, not that difficulty would stop Sakurai.
Lara Croft
Lara Croft is a house-hold name, almost everyone with any kind of video game knowledge at all has at least heard of her.
Sora
Kingdom Hearts is an incredibly popular series, there are legal arguments to be made concerning Disney, but who knows how that might play out.
A Dragon Quest representative (either Slime, Erdrick or a popular party member)
Dragon Quest has a prestige like almost no other, even if the West couldn't really care less about it. Also, it'd get the Toriyama artstyle into the game...
Crono
Chrono Trigger is generally considered one of the best Video Games ever made, nuff said. XD
Geno
Geno is the darling of the hardcore fanbase, requested for at least a decade and a half, if not longer. Unfortunately, hardcore appeal is pretty much all he has going for him at this point.
what a shame u didn't mention noctis. He is the MC of the latest FF title man.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I'd say the choices boil down to:

Tifa or Sephiroth
I'd say it can't be any FF rep other than those two (except maybe Moogle or Chocobo), because they've made their bed with Final Fantasy in Smash being specifically FF7 and not just Final Fantasy in general.
Sephiroth has the caveat that they must accommodate his giant sword, it's certainly doable, but Tifa would be way easier, not that difficulty would stop Sakurai.
Lara Croft
Lara Croft is a house-hold name, almost everyone with any kind of video game knowledge at all has at least heard of her.
Sora
Kingdom Hearts is an incredibly popular series, there are legal arguments to be made concerning Disney, but who knows how that might play out.
A Dragon Quest representative (either Slime, Erdrick or a popular party member)
Dragon Quest has a prestige like almost no other, even if the West couldn't really care less about it. Also, it'd get the Toriyama artstyle into the game...
Crono
Chrono Trigger is generally considered one of the best Video Games ever made, nuff said. XD
Geno
Geno is the darling of the hardcore fanbase, requested for at least a decade and a half, if not longer. Unfortunately, hardcore appeal is pretty much all he has going for him at this point.
I'm honestly thinking it could be a Bravely Default rep: history almost solely with Nintendo, ongoing franchise with an upcoming Switch sequel... If Square wants it to continue as a franchise (especially with how successful Octopath was as a Switch JRPG) then it'd make sense to keep pushing it with Smash.

KMDP

Smash Legend
what a shame u didn't mention noctis. He is the MC of the latest FF title man.
Like I said, Smash has already made it's bed with the Final Fantasy series being Final Fantasy VII specifically and not Final Fantasy in general.

My source for this is the Smash Bros. website itself (the same logo was used in Smash 4, for the record).

If we're getting anyone else from Final Fantasy, it'll probably be Tifa or Sephiroth.

Zack was a base or bust deal (he'd have made a decent Echo), Aerith isn't really a fighter (it's telling that when she was brought into Dissidia, it was as a purely support role), and none of the other FFVII characters are popular enough to justify inclusion in Smash over Tifa and Sephiroth (the two most popular FFVII characters after Cloud himself).

You could argue a case for a Moogle or Chocobo, though.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Like I said, Smash has already made it's bed with the Final Fantasy series being Final Fantasy VII specifically and not Final Fantasy in general.

My source for this is the Smash Bros. website itself (the same logo was used in Smash 4, for the record).

If we're getting anyone else from Final Fantasy, it'll probably be Tifa or Sephiroth.

Zack was a base or bust deal (he'd have made a decent Echo), Aerith isn't really a fighter (it's telling that when she was brought into Dissidia, it was as a purely support role), and none of the other FFVII characters are popular enough to justify inclusion in Smash over Tifa and Sephiroth.

You could argue a case for a Moogle or Chocobo, though.
Though Cid could make for a unique choice since he appears in a ton of games as a different person. Not unlike Link. They could use that to help represent the series in general with his moveset and costumes. Though I'd prefer Sephiroth among them(Aeirth's my other favorite, but yeah, I can't see her as a proper fighter either).

KMDP

Smash Legend
Though Cid could make for a unique choice since he appears in a ton of games as a different person. Not unlike Link. They could use that to help represent the series in general with his moveset and costumes. Though I'd prefer Sephiroth among them(Aeirth's my other favorite, but yeah, I can't see her as a proper fighter either).
I hadn't considered that Cid angle, actually. Though I don't think they'd go for it, because unlike Link, Cid is always a different guy with wholly different capabilities.

Though I would love to be able to tell other fighters to "sit down and drink [their] damn tea!"

Where I stand is I want Tifa for the Square Enix character, but expect Sephiroth, Sora or Geno (or Agnès, if they wanna push Bravely Default).

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Ultimate now has a ledge grab limit! After 4 grabs, the ledge will stop functioning for you. You will just fall, and die. Pathetically.
Thoughts?

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Ah yes. More people in the Casual Video Game fanbase that will watch VGA, who area mismatch of tons of different group of people and genre fans will recognize that Characters from a single SNES RPG game than a character from the potential GOTY and Best RPG of said Video Game Awards of a series that is the god father of RPG.

You know that DQ had a game like...just this year right? :4pacman:

I'll be sorry, but that's what I meant by the "Hypocrisy" of people fan of a certain Characters.
In your posts you seems to discard every aspect that shows that Sora or a DQ Protagonist are possible only to say "Well since both are out it means that only Geno is in."
Look how easy your line of reasoning is.

Who need a source on this when it's obvious?

Neither Square or Nintendo give a **** about Geno. Nintendo and/or Square didn't want to use him in 20years not was referenced in any Mario anniversary and the only time a game he appears as Cameo get remade he completely disappear not leaving any traces.

Only Sakurai want Geno, but Nintendo or Square doesn't see any future in it or gain to promote whatever since they doesn't care about him.

So I guess we can rules him out and with your line of thinking both Sora and DQ are out.

Lez go! Neku for the VGA :4pacman:

That's why I ****ing hate that kind of line of thinking and people promoting it as "Oh yeah that guy makes good points" when it's just a game of "LALALALALALALA I WONT LISTEN TO THE GOOD POINT I'LL JUST SAY WHY YOURS IS IMPOSSIBLE LALALALALALALA"
I’m on mobile so I can’t easily multiquote all of this, so just going down the list:

-Yes, I fully believe that the audience watching the VGAs for announcements will know who Geno is 10x over before, say, Erdrick, if only because Geno has essentially been the star(no pun intended) of the Smash speculation/leak season these past few months, and if anything people would know him from that more than his home game. For better or worse, “Geno in Smash” has eclipsed “people that actually care about Super Mario RPG”. I will however fully concede, again, that Slime would be far more recognizable than either.
-The VGAs have also historically never cared about JRPGs, throwing those awards into the corner of the screen before and after commercial breaks, they don’t get massive fanfare or anything. I can’t see them breaking that trend this year, or giving a JRPG GOTY. They’re very Americentric.
-I do specifically want a source on when Vergeben said that about Geno, because I also remember someone from Square being confused at why Sakurai wanted a character that wasn’t relevant anymore, but Cloud got in anyway.
-Please note in all this that my argument is entirely predicated on the announcement being at the VGAs, which I consider incredibly likely. If it isn’t, however, then my point is relatively moot.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ultimate now has a ledge grab limit! After 4 grabs, the ledge will stop functioning for you. You will just fall, and die. Pathetically.
Thoughts?
It probably won't have much of an effect as there are not many situations where you'll be grabbing the ledge 4 times in the short amount of time for it to trigger. Its only real purpose is to punish heavy stalling, which can only be a good thing.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Thoughts?
This could spice things up for the competitive scene. This is also probably a ledge camper’s worst nightmare for sure.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Thoughts?
This is obviously to prevent ledge camping which is nothing but a good thing. I can't really think of any downsides to this, and I'll bet anyone who does take issue with it probably mains either Wii Fit Trainer or Villager.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I hadn't considered that Cid angle, actually. Though I don't think they'd go for it, because unlike Link, Cid is always a different guy with wholly different capabilities.

Though I would love to be able to tell other fighters to "sit down and drink [their] damn tea!"

Where I stand is I want Tifa for the Square Enix character, but expect Sephiroth, Sora or Geno (or Agnès, if they wanna push Bravely Default).
Ah, that's true. Pretty much what kills Impa's chances too(no defined design or moves across multiple games).

Though Link kind of did that in his OOT adult form, as he couldn't use the Boomerang. But yeah, it's not a good example. I don't think there's a similar enough character to Cid already in Smash, so while he'd be cool, he'd be a first of that kind of composite character.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
"VGAs (aka the casual gamer audience) would recognize Geno more than Dragon Quest" is logic you will only find in a Smash Bros. thread.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Thoughts?
Too bad they couldn't have implemented this in Smash 4. Sudden Deaths would no longer be decided by the character with the superior recovery who can avoid the Bob-ombs for an insanely long time.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm gonna go with and say the Square rep is Chocobo :yoshi:
You're just saying that because Chocobos are birds and therefore closely related to reptiles.

I'm onto you, Zinith.
Thoughts?
It depends on the match type and who you're playing as/against, I guess.

It will make Cruel Smash a nightmare to do anything in though, because you can't do the old cheese strats with Kirby (drop off the stage, fly around to lure enemies to their death, grab the ledge, rinse-repeat).

In terms of battling, it doesn't really effect me much because I'm terrible at off-stage play.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
My hopes for the square character is geno or Sora. Honestly I don’t think I’m going to mind katalina as she looks interesting enough from what I’ve seen and we could use another strictly female swordfighter. As for the Microsoft rep, I really want banjo, but if Steve gets in, I’ll be okay with it as long as banjo is added later. The last two dlc slots are me hoping to god for Shantae and Rayman. They are both character i campaigned hard for in the smash ballot days along with Isaac. Finally I’m pushing hard for Isaac to get promoted to playable. I just hope there will be a season 2 of dlc considering smash 4 had 7 characters added.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't get it. Is Sakurai supposed to be at TGA or something?

Amiibo Doctor Amiibo Doctor

About ****ing time there's a ledge grab limit, lol

Smooth Criminal
It's just one leaker saying Sora will be there. I doubt it myself, but we have had announcements at VGA, so who knows. *shrug*

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
All this Squenix talk makes me want to rank which Square rep I want to see most

So I ranked 'em...

1. Lara Croft
2. Tifa/Sephiroth
3. Sora
4. DQ rep
5. Crono
6. Geno

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh yeah. I can throw that here, since y'all are free to believe me or not.
And Apparently it's not a big Problem to share that.

The talk for some Spirits to get added. At least for one third party company that I know someone in. (Which is easy to guess if you ever remember some of my post about U-) was actually pretty late after a certain game got it's greenlight.
Take it as you will since it's just what said person heard-

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Huh, seems like there's some people that actually agree with my observation about main characters always being chosen first... How about that.

And here I was thinking I was about to get told off by everyone and made a fool out of. Guess I shouldn't back down from my views so easily.

I know exactly how you feel. I can't ever seem to get past one day in my life without saying something stupid. As such, it's best to be given enough time to collect your thoughts and convey them properly.

That said, these are sensical choices for the first DQ pick, though I personally think it'll be Erdrick with all the other Heroes as skins (not sure if the Luminary is too recent, though).

As far as lead characters coming first, in the event that Undertale content is added, I could see them go after Frisk first, even though Sans is the #1 want there. Although it's likely that he could pull an :ultisabelle:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom