• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I really like that song you sent in the link its a blend of jazz sound while having asian instruments to give it a blend feel.

As for Bubsy it kind of shows there though he was a product of his time, as the recently released Bubsy game did horrible in sales. As for if Geno would be profitable, to an extent yes he would. However he would be short term profitable instead of long term profitable. Because he has no new games nor will there be. All the money Square would generate would be in one place instead of multiple places. In the case of say Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts, there is cross promotion involved plus the money they make from the DLC's purchased. In this scenario they have people becoming interested in their promoted game series and go out and purchase their games. This money would be long term and more of it. Its like this would you want 1,000 now or 35 dollars every week for a year? If you choose the 35 every week for a year it will be slow earnings, but it eventually will be more than the immediate 1,000. My point is eventually people will stop buying the DLC packs, where as if there is cross promotion involved there are higher chances for more income and your'e not putting your eggs all in one basket.

This being said I hope these businesses do not just look at profits and give fans a break. Im not against Geno, or Banjo or any character who hasn't had the spotlight lately. In fact I really want an Advance Wars rep, and specifically I want Will from Advance Wars Days of Ruin. That game came out in 2008 and is the last of the Advance Wars games. So the odds are highly against a rep coming from that series, I still hope though lol. Plus Days of Ruin has some amazing hardcore rock music that could work in Smash.

I love the Shashimen, but the Erhu is my all time favorite instrument. Yes the Jaw Harps are so unique it gives it an Australian feel to it. Oh you should look the city up its extremely beautiful. It looks like something straight out of an anime, with how clean and unique it is. Theres koi fish swimming in the canals all over Gujo Hachiman.

This is Will's theme from Advance Wars Days of Ruin

And that Jaw Harp from the Rayman music, its just too epic. Skip to 1:15 to hear the epic part.

Finally if your'e interested in Gujo Hachiman these vloggers do an excellent job.
I'm glad you liked it. It's not that far from the game's (definitely better though)

Bubsy was a shot in the dark, and that's what I meant. I said Geno won't be profitable, my aim at that was.. well, no aim actually, I think as Bubsy they should go with no aim but Geno's fans sake. That in my opinion is a longer term investment.

They had an Advance Wars AT, but even that was scrapped for Ultimate. So yeah. I did like that AT however, those tiny tanks n soldiers. have to say though, Strategy is my least favorite game gener. I tried, it's just not my thing, so I'm not that familiar with AW, when you said Will I thought it's that guy holding a wrench.

Place looks nice. I'll tell you though, Japan places are smaller than you think. I mean that tour probably will end in a couple of hours. Haven't been to that city, but it's a guess.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Graizen Graizen You know what would be awesome, and would be a way for both of our most wanted Digimon to get in?
DIGIMON TAMER!
It would make sense since the Smash community is so divided over which Digimon should be in, right?
They would have Agumon, Renamon, and... uh, help me out here. Which other Digimon would be a good fit?
Its a great idea!
But its like putting Pokémon Trainer before Pikachu. Thats why Agumon is the best choice.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Who even lurks at the ledge that long in the first place
People trying to kill 5 opponents in Cruel Smash for the Achievement, that's who.
My DLC predictions:

Crash, Agumon, Sora, Banjo and Steve
My DLC Wants
Isaac, Agumon, Tifa, Crash, Tails​
I can't really make any predictions because I'm tired and there's just so many options. :laugh:
Graizen Graizen You know what would be awesome, and would be a way for both of our most wanted Digimon to get in?
DIGIMON TAMER!
It would make sense since the Smash community is so divided over which Digimon should be in, right?
They would have Agumon, Renamon, and... uh, help me out here. Which other Digimon would be a good fit?
Lilithmon, Mervamon or BeelStarmon (because Waifus) (Warning: Scantily clad ladies)
(Note: I refuse to use the name Laylamon for Lilithmon and you can't make me)
Okay, serious answers:

Gabumon
Gatomon
Veemon
Beelzemon
Omegamon (Omnimon)
Shoutmon

I actually don't think the Smash community is that split on who should get in, I've only really ever seen Agumon suggested, if anyone is suggested at all.

D

Deleted member

The idea of F-Zero having a likely chance to return is kind of satisfactory.

D

Deleted member

Its a great idea!
But its like putting Pokémon Trainer before Pikachu. Thats why Agumon is the best choice.
True, but nobody disputes Pikachu's mascothood. On the other hand, I bet you even the most hardcore Digimon fans sometimes have trouble deciding whether Agumon or Renamon is a better mascot. (Correct me if I'm wrong, though.)

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I could see Ribbon Girl being picked, it felt like she was pushed really heavily when it came to advertising Arms and was the game's "other mascot". Of course I wouldn't count on her as DLC at all anyway for the same reason we know we aren't getting Rex and Pyra. Not unless we get a round 2 of DLC, that is.
I'd be upset if Ribbon Girl got in, honestly. She's the only character that comes off as really boring in personality and design. I'm pretty sure Nintendo's aware that Min Min, Twintelle and Kid Cobra are much more popular characters.
But honestly, I think Spring Man was the only character who had a chance. Followed by Min Min. Ideal additions would be Min Min, Master Mummy, Max Brass and Kid Cobra, to me, haha. If I had to choose one, I'd say Max Brass, because he fits in with other newcomers in being a big boss you face at the end, and he would be crazy strong in Smash. Master Mummy would be too, and his healing by blocking ability would be neat. I've got some bias towards Kid Cobra, as he's the one who helped me get into the top two-hundred players dashboard, as well as becoming one of the top (ranked second) Australian players. Min Min would just fit in well, as far as her design goes. Also, she'd have a lot of kicks too, so she would actually work better than the majority, even Spring Man.

D

Deleted member

I'd be upset if Ribbon Girl got in, honestly. She's the only character that comes off as really boring in personality and design. I'm pretty sure Nintendo's aware that Min Min, Twintelle and Kid Cobra are much more popular characters.
But honestly, I think Spring Man was the only character who had a chance. Followed by Min Min. Ideal additions would be Min Min, Master Mummy, Max Brass and Kid Cobra, to me, haha. If I had to choose one, I'd say Max Brass, because he fits in with other newcomers in being a big boss you face at the end, and he would be crazy strong in Smash. Master Mummy would be too, and his healing by blocking ability would be neat. I've got some bias towards Kid Cobra, as he's the one who helped me get into the top two-hundred players dashboard, as well as becoming one of the top (ranked second) Australian players. Min Min would just fit in well, as far as her design goes. Also, she'd have a lot of kicks too, so she would actually work better than the majority, even Spring Man.
Spring Man was the only chance ARMS had at a rep. They always add the main characters/mascots for a new franchise.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I could see Ribbon Girl being picked, it felt like she was pushed really heavily when it came to advertising Arms and was the game's "other mascot". Of course I wouldn't count on her as DLC at all anyway for the same reason we know we aren't getting Rex and Pyra. Not unless we get a round 2 of DLC, that is.
I think at this point, the most likely ARMS rep is either Twintelle or Min Min...
Personally hoping for Min Min...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
True, but nobody disputes Pikachu's mascothood. On the other hand, I bet you even the most hardcore Digimon fans sometimes have trouble deciding whether Agumon or Renamon is a better mascot. (Correct me if I'm wrong, though.)
Nah, Agumon is the undisputed mascot. Renamon is a fan favorite, but she's never been close to being the face of the series, even during her most relevant period Guilmon was more prominent. Meanwhile Agumon was the face of the series during its absolute peak, a time when it was legitimately able to compete with Pokémon, and while he's not always been front and center of every series or game he's still been so more often than any other Digimon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If the Street Fighter rep was choosen based on the Western spin-offs like the cartoons or movie adaptations, we would have Guile and Blanca instead of Ryu and Ken.

I call this.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
There's no way he got lucky, when two of the characters he predicted were Simon Belmont, and stinkin' Incineroar...
Agreed, I'm saying people only validate the ones that say what they want to hear. Vergeben says Incineroar is in Ultimate, people start calling him Virginbin, actively rooting for him to be proven wrong. I guarantee you that if he said the Grinch leak were real, people would be singing a different tune.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If the Street Fighter rep was choosen based on the Western spin-offs like the cartoons or movie adaptations, we would have Guile and Blanca instead of Ryu and Ken.

I call this.
Chun Li might take the edge however if Sakurai viewed it like this, because she does actually matter to the games as much in this scenario as she does ''adaptions":

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0891592/

God, what an awful movie.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
That's not nearly as big of a development multiplier as you seem to suggest.

Tournament mode also had minimal impact on or shared resources with the character pipeline, and was announced/shown/mostly finished at the time of the 50-fact presentation.
I doubt it'd take much work to do Home Run Contest

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nah, Agumon is the undisputed mascot. Renamon is a fan favorite, but she's never been close to being the face of the series, even during her most relevant period Guilmon was more prominent. Meanwhile Agumon was the face of the series during its absolute peak, a time when it was legitimately able to compete with Pokémon, and while he's not always been front and center of every series or game he's still been so more often than any other Digimon.
Agumon is even going to be the main Digimon in the upcoming Digimon Survive, which is coming to the Nintendo Switch.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Agumon and his line are absolutely the mascot of Digimon. Anyone trying to tell you Renamon is Digimon's mascot is... well... you know, let's just say they're biased and leave it at that.

Agumon was among the first Digimon ever created.

Agumon has appeared on the cover of most of the Digimon video games (so many I'm not even going to try and list them).

He is the main character's partner in two Anime seasons (not including 02 and Tri), along with being a major character of Cyber Sleuth.

WarGreymon is one of two partner Digimon of the main character of Next 0rder (until it dies in the opening cutscene).

A pixel-art Agumon appears on the logo of Digimon Tamers.

Agumon has more variations than any other Digimon, and is also one of the few to get a "Dot" variant (a version of a Digimon that canonically looks like their pixel art sprite, there are only eight Dot variant Digimon, all of which appeared in Digimon Savers (Data Squad) or are otherwise related to it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Agumon and his line are absolutely the mascot of Digimon. Anyone trying to tell you Renamon is Digimon's mascot is... well... you know, let's just say they're biased and leave it at that.

Agumon has appeared on the cover of most of the Digimon video games (so many I'm not even going to try and list them).

He is the main character's partner in two Anime seasons (not including 02 and Tri), along with being a major character of Cyber Sleuth.

WarGreymon is one of two partner Digimon of the main character of Next 0rder (until it dies in the opening cutscene).

A pixel-art Agumon appears on the logo of Digimon Tamers.

Agumon has more variations than any other Digimon, and is also one of the few to get a "Dot" variant (a version of a Digimon that canonically looks like their pixel art sprite, there are only eight Dot variant Digimon, all of which appeared in Digimon Savers (Data Squad) or are otherwise related to it.
Okay, I get it, I don't need 100 people to tell me that Renamon won't get in Smash.
Great, now I have FIVE pipe dreams: Giygas, Patra, Renamon, Gunvolt, AND Zoe.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Renamon is really only popular because of a... certain... group of people...
Agumon is the Digimon Mascot, hands down

D

Deleted member

I know Agumon more than the other Digimon.

Four guys, none of them held back to block? Firing a gun is like frame 2, it would’ve been easy to punish a raw Spinning Bird Kick on block.
Well, TJ “‘Henry’” Yoshi, we are dealing with Smash Bros mechanics and design elements here.

So sadly, your hypothesis doesn’t work, unless you manage to include wave-dashing and shield spam in Ultimate.

Edit: due to my excess of “A” presses, i sadly forced the website to load me in the time where nobody has posted after me. I used my speed-running knowledge on the worst scenario.

D

Deleted member

Renamon is really only popular because of a... certain... group of people...
Agumon is the Digimon Mascot, hands down
Renamon was never a mascot, just Agumon and Tyranomon.
OKAY, I GET IT. NO MORE POSTS LIKE THESE PLEASE.
Also Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku I am part of that certain group of people. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I call this.
If it means getting Raul Julia M. Bison I'm kind of okay with this.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Wow. I am surprised that there are people who think so little of Dragon Quest. I have never played any of the games and still would know where the character comes from either the dragon ball aesthetic or this song:

You are in, my Lizard loving friend!
There is a support group? Add me too please.

Whats your "nightmare" scenario for your main in Ultimatr

Mine is that Shulk isn't as strong as everyine is saying and is still bottom of mid-tier
All pokemon characters (and piranha plant) receive smash 4 jigglypuff treatment.

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Spring Man was the only chance ARMS had at a rep. They always add the main characters/mascots for a new franchise.
I'm aware. Still holding out hope that ARMS has a 1% chance for DLC or the next game, because out of their recent IPs, it's the best, and I hope to see it evolve.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

Well, TJ “‘Henry’” Yoshi, we are dealing with Smash Bros mechanics and design elements here.

So sadly, your hypothesis doesn’t work, unless you manage to include wave-dashing and shield spam in Ultimate.

Edit: due to my excess of “A” presses, i sadly forced the website to load me in the time where nobody has posted after me. I used my speed-running knowledge on the worst scenario.
Assuming Spinning Bird Kick is a multi-hit (I forgot if it is or not, oops,) how rapidly do the hitboxes repeat? If there’s enough space, you might be able to back roll out if your dodges aren’t stale, and then punish.
Otherwise, how well does trying to powershield the last hit work? I haven’t really seen people try to do it enough yet to know.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Agumon is the Pikachu. Renamon is the Lucario.

There.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, I get it, I don't need 100 people to tell me that Renamon won't get in Smash.
Great, now I have FIVE pipe dreams: Giygas, Patra, Renamon, Gunvolt, AND Zoe.
Sorry if I came across as terse.

Renamon's more like the Lucario of Digimon (except in Renamon's case it was probably unintentional).

Occassionally they use a Renamon line Digimon in an important role (Taomon was an important Digimon in Next 0rder); and Renamon always appears in the video games as a possible Digimon to obtain, but this particular accolade applies to all former partner Digimon.

I mentioned Agumon having a lot of variations, Renamon only has one (they really don't capitalize on Renamon's popularity). The Renamon line has a few more variants (Sakuyamon has "Miko Mode" and a counterpart in Kuzuhamon, who also has a "Miko Mode", Sakuyamon also has an X form, there's also variants for Kyubimon and Taomon), but even Agumon's evolution variants are far more numerous (there are a lot of WarGreymon alts).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom