• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't think you're processing how the DLC works.

DLC SETUP
- Character
- Stage
- Music

Oh, I see a lack of Mii Costumes and Spirits being mentioned here. Gets the big thinking machine going.

That means you have two routes:
- Steve, Minecraft Stage, Minecraft Music
- Banjo, Banjo Stage, Minecraft Music

Both are equally possible. And answer me this: why would you have one series as a character but another as a stage?
Verge has stated there is Minecraft content, he does not know what that specific content is. It may not be a stage, minecraft could be a Mii costume, or trivial spirits content. We don't know yet.

The microsoft/ minecraft content may have not been shown because they may wanna keep that microsoft partnership secret until they announce Banjo.

Or the Minecraft content coud just be trivial as the ubisoft and wayforward content appears to be so far... And there wont be microsoft dlc.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Angés is in Bravely Second, she’s just not playable. She’s basically the guide of the game.
Yeah, that’s what I meant.

I never got around to beating Default...I should sometime

Whomever replaces Agnés’s spot in the Second party is only in that game too, so

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Jesus Christ.

"People blaming us Westerners for Piranha Plant because Smash sells better in the west???" Whelp... there you have it folks. Japanese fans are just as capable of biased idiocy as we are. XD
Oh yeah, I remember stuff like this from the Dark Souls days. Western people complaining that decisions were made to appeal to Japanese audiences, and Japanese people complaining that decisions were made to appeal to Western audiences.

As Gordon Freeman once said, "The only answer is to get drunk and set fire to things."

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Some more from the same stream:
"Golden Sun is a dead series only popular in the west"
Well, they really aren't wrong...
Most of Isaac's support came from the west...

That doesn't mean he didn't have any support in Japan, it's just that people over there voted for things like Bandanna Waddle Dee and Arle Naja more than him

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Newcomer likelihood tier list

S
Sora, Steve, Katalina

A
Lloyd, Banjo & Kazooie, DQ Rep, Geno

B
Noctis, Lara Croft, Chrono, Heihachi, RE Rep, Bethesda Rep (Doomguy or Dovahkiin)

C
Actraiser, Bub and Bob, Dante, Crash

D
Nintendo Characters

F
Everyone else
I object! That was...objectionable!

monadoboy

Smash Lord
If you had to pick Steve or Katalina for DLC, who would you pick?
One's an eyesore and the other's an elegantly armored, sword wielding lady with water powers, so Katalina a trillion times over Steve.

Noipoi

Howdy!

LOTS of people crying out for Reimu(Touhou) and Saber(Fate/Stay)

EQUALLY as many people ****ting on them

LOTS of banter about how Fate/Grand Order(Fate's mobile game) is ****

Unironic Sans support

People blaming us Westerners for Piranha Plant because Smash sells better in the west???

People swearing that if a Fate/Stay character gets in, they will find the grave of whoever they're based on and **** on it

Bashing LGPE

And racism towards Koreans
Geez, Japan comments are just as cringy as American comments...

Bashing LGPE
This is fine though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh okay. I'd love for a Touhou or Fate/Stay character to get in :) But it seems like they're just as whiny and bad as us
Touhou's not too unreasonable. Thing's been big for years, the only issue is reaching ZUN for negotiations for a few minutes.

Then again, I don't know who owns the license for the spin-offs that don't have his involvement.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Sorry everyone, I went to bed and wasn't able to respond last night, and I have an essay to work on, so I won't be as active today. Still figured I'd address some topics that we were discussing last night.

RE: Katalina in Smash

She could literally just be a last second negotiation. I know I've argued against slots, but there could've been a first party character for DLC that was kicked off the list because negotiations for Katalina worked out. I imagine it's a similar "you scratch my back I scratch yours" where Cygames helps Nintendo make Dragalia Lost and they add Katalina into Smash. It also makes sense as a move made to help Nintendo's partner break out into the West, so she her chances are slightly higher as she is a promotional character, similar to Corrin.

RE: Steve in Smash

Here's how you represent Steve in Smash without the art style clashing too much. It's not too hard of a stretch you guys.

RE: LeakyPandy and Ruffled Feathers
Their information doesn't necessarily hint at Dragon Quest. It could also hint at Monster Hunter, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, or any other game awarded "best in genre," which is highly vague wording. Mind you, "Most Anticipated Game" is a category, or "genre" at the VGAs, and what game seems to be a shoe-in for that award? Kingdom Hearts 3.

Now, mind you, this is assuming that LeakyPandy actually has correct information, given that they have gotten absolutely nothing right so far.

I went and traced back the statement about "ruffled feathers," and it was made around October 19th (the post I dug up was made by the same user in response to the original one). It's stated that the company is not Nintendo, but it doesn't specify which company it is. So, it could be Square Enix, it could be Microsoft, it could even be Capcom for all we know. This does disqualify Spawn Wave's statements about Sora at the VGAs though, but doesn't rule them out. I'm much more tempted to trust Spawn Wave over LeakyPandy given his current 9-0 track record (as @TotsBS and Nekoo Nekoo can vouch for).

RE: Sora in Smash
All of you raised some good arguments about Sora in Smash Bros., but again I doubt them.
@NonSpecificGuy you managed to somewhat refute Thanos in Smash, but what about Wreck-It-Ralph in Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed?

There is a truly odd business decision from modern day Disney. If it had something do with using Sonic in Wreck-It-Ralph, Disney doesn't really gain much from putting one of their breakout characters into a niche racing game. At the very least it shows that minor transactions (cameos in a movie for a playable character) are possible. Mario is rumored to be appearing in Wreck-It-Ralph 2, and while Nintendo did have high licensing fees for Mario in the first Wreck-It-Ralph, what if instead of fees the trade off is Sora in Smash? I know it's a hypothetical, but there's precedent for it.

Additionally, there has been a precedent of Disney respecting Square Enix when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. See the cancelled 2002 Kingdom Hearts cartoon, which was cancelled "so as to not jeopardize the relationship between Square Enix & Disney as they began to expand the franchise." We can assume that a similar occurrence happened with Kingdom Hearts Fragmented Keys, though I don't have a direct source saying this (I could've sworn someone said the game was cancelled because Square Enix didn't think it was good enough).

I've also dug up some old statements from @PlayerOneTyler (I'm sorry I keep throwing mentions to you dude) who worked on Disney Infinity which featured Kingdom Hearts Content. While skeptical of Sora in Smash, his statements still show that its possible.

Also, the argument of "Sora needs Disney" or "Sora means we'd also get Disney content" seems to come down to personal opinion. At this point myself and others believe that Kingdom Hearts has the capability of standing on its own without necessarily needing Disney, and this applies to Smash. Sora himself is, in my opinion, the perfect representation of the crossover Disney and Square Enix because he is the product of their teamwork. Similar with any original Kingdom Hearts content, and Sakurai has shown himself to be willing to twist things when dealing with fan demand (such as Ridley and King K. Rool), something Sora has in droves.

Can we just pin this post and repost it everytime the Disney Argument is used or that they are the only one holding that power and not Square-Enix?

Also, to add on the "Ruffled Feather" thing. Tansut basically confirmed it was Square-Enix in a latter Post. And within the timeframe could be related to Hashimoto's sonic fast deleted tweet

Shroob

Sup?
I actually find it funny how a comment war broke out between all the Touhou and Fate fans/haters

Yet "Sans tho?" was met with mostly positive reception.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wait. Hold up. What?

How do those two statements correlate? Can someone explain it to me?
Just like we have no idea what Japanese fans really want, they have no idea what Western fans really want. So everyone makes assumptions and inevitably gets it wrong.
Oh yeah, I remember stuff like this from the Dark Souls days. Western people complaining that decisions were made to appeal to Japanese audiences, and Japanese people complaining that decisions were made to appeal to Western audiences.

As Gordon Freeman once said, "The only answer is to get drunk and set fire to things."
I bet those things people were complaining about that appeal to the other audience were the same damn things. XD

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To clarify things for people confused about the Three Houses protagonists situation, here's the rundown.

Byleth is a dark-teal haired avatar character that uses a sword. At the moment we don't know if they're more like Mark, or more like Kris/Robin/Corrin.

Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are major characters, as they come from each of the titular three houses, but we don't know if it's a lord trio like Lyn/Eliwood/Hector, or a Ryoma/Xander non-lord one.

Of note, though, is that Edelgard seems to be a pre-promoted unit like Ryoma or Xander, so the trio are either more like Ryoma and Xander, or Edelgard is our first Jagen-styled lord, unless you count Sigurd.
I love it when you talk Fire Emblem, Opossum Opossum . Not many times do I get to see Sigurd, Kris and Jagen mentioned in the same post.

D

Deleted member

I just mean it from a general perspective. I thought, generally, that the Japanese fanbase was more modest to Sakurai, but maybe not :)
I mean, we're only looking at a single stream here, right? We can't generalize an entire country's reactions based on a single thing.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Hey guys, as some people have been sad because of the whole Grinch leak and some characters not making it in, I got an idea for a pretty nice concept. Instead of completely adding characters, some highly requested characters could be temporary transformations you could take control of in battle through a ´´Character Mask´´. This would enable Nintendo to add in characters which are more important than Assist Trophies/Pokeballs, but not as important as an actual fighter.

The spawn rate of these masks should be lower than that of Assist Trophies/Pokeballs as they are a bit more powerful. As with the summon items there are multiple characters you can transform into, Geno was just the obvious example.
Hope you guys like the general idea as they could change up battles a lot.
But I guess if you were going through that effort, why not make those characters into real characters?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Can we just pin this post and repost it everytime the Disney Argument is used or that they are the only one holding that power and not Square-Enix?

Also, to add on the "Ruffled Feather" thing. Tansut basically confirmed it was Square-Enix in a latter Post. And within the timeframe could be related to Hashimoto's sonic fast deleted tweet
Gonna go ****ing insane if Hashimoto's dumb ass tweeting that was the RUFFLED FEATHERS leak lmao

Potato_

Smash Lord
I actually find it funny how a comment war broke out between all the Touhou and Fate fans/haters

Yet "Sans tho?" was met with mostly positive reception.
Are you sure it wasn't meant as a meme

Undertale is pretty well liked in Japan from what I've seen. Then again so is Fate so idk what's up with those guys.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Geez, Japan comments are just as cringy as American comments...
Yup. Turns out we're all ****ty people.

Videogames really help bring the world together.

GameKarim

Smash Rookie
But I guess if you were going through that effort, why not make those characters into real characters?
True, but you wouldn´t need to design an entire moveset for these characters. They would be easier to make and still be fun to play with.

EDIT: They would basically be playable Assist Trophies.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If we trust Tansut, who may have been a one-hit wonder like Loz, then I would think both DQ and KH have got stuff going for them. Leakypandy's "DQ is at TGA" thing and....Hashimoto's tweet.

Missing you Geno.

D

Deleted member

Gordon Freeman doesn’t talk.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Hey guys for the people who are sad about an Isaac being an assist trophy, I suggest another one Isaac a bit more gruesome lol

I bet this guy would smash some eyeball lol.

Glad you asked! She is one of the main characters (the main 'unit') in a Japanese mobile game called Granblue Fantasy, and she seems to be the main character in the upcoming Granblue Fantasy game. Nintendo and Cygames, the developer of Granblue Fantasy, have apparently developed a partnership with one another and there might be talks of trying to get her in as DLC for Smash
Thanks the information now I have more insight of what might going on.

D

Deleted member

Edlegard as an axe fighter with Hector as her Echo you heard it here first folks.

LOTS of people crying out for Reimu(Touhou) and Saber(Fate/Stay)

EQUALLY as many people ****ting on them

LOTS of banter about how Fate/Grand Order(Fate's mobile game) is ****

Unironic Sans support

People blaming us Westerners for Piranha Plant because Smash sells better in the west???

People swearing that if a Fate/Stay character gets in, they will find the grave of whoever they're based on and **** on it

Bashing LGPE

And racism towards Koreans
This just makes me want Saber even more
Jesus Christ.

"People blaming us Westerners for Piranha Plant because Smash sells better in the west???" Whelp... there you have it folks. Japanese fans are just as capable of biased idiocy as we are. XD
Why do you talk as if that's a surprise?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I mean, we're only looking at a single stream here, right? We can't generalize an entire country's reactions based on a single thing.
Goddamn could I get political with this sentence.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes please do talk down to me like I'm a dog when I just conceded that we both have entirely different mindsets and likely won't be able to come to a good conclusion

It's just me going off the ambiguity of the content and the possibility they may throw in some spirits and Costumes as little extras god damn lol
Would you rather have brutal honesty from me or sugarcoating and magic fairytales? Because the latter ain't my style.
When I pop off I pop off hard. :090:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Everybody's showing surprise at such Japanese anger, and I'm wondering how we haven't seen anything like this before recently. Still, we can't generalize all of Japan based off of this, although I'll admit every region has their unpleasant bunch.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Also, I saw someone mention women in full armor so if anyone's interested I got these

pls play etrian odyssey
Don't think no one saw that Saber support. :smirk: I can't wait to see how much you'll support her if Katalina does get in.
Oh, I see a lack of Mii Costumes and Spirits being mentioned here. Gets the big thinking machine going.
We need more Spirit Possession parodies, like what happened with Samus & Shantae. Where's artwork of Owain possessing Chrom or Big the Cat possessing Incineroar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom