• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I thought the protagonist was Edelgard? Don't we still know virtually nothing about Three Houses atm?
The protagonist is Byleth, or at least the player character is.
Who's that? Do you have any more info on this?
I looked him up, and well, apparently he's a figure in... Demonology.

What the ****?
Byleth is the player character of Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Basically, the equivalent of Robin and Corrin.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
One of these things hasn't been able to be proved as anything by Vergeben. All he's been able to state is that there's Minecraft content in the game. Not any specifics of what he is.
Wouldn't it be crazy if they merged Banjo & Kazooie Nuts & Bolts with Minecraft in a sort of Microsoft "Mario Maker" stage?

Or, hell, throw in Halo 3's forge mode and ****ing Project Spark.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Yeeeeeeeahhhhhh...

Gonna be real. I stopped playing her in Smash 4. I only made a gif for her because she's my one and only Brawl main. I don't like the heel design at all, and what made her fun in Brawl was the upB juggling for me. I'll still play her casually, but something about her design and new kit just isn't for me.

(Plus some guy called them my "waifus" and I felt a strong urge to replace someone with a guy.)
I'd be more keen on ZSS as well if those boots didn't exist. The irony of it is that Sakurai said Ridley wouldn't work because sizing him down would change the essence of his character, yet giving ZSS random rocket boots is not changing the essence of her character?

At least there's two other Metroid options now. Both of whom are going to be my mains.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The protagonist is Byleth, or at least the player character is.

Byleth is the player character of Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Basically, the equivalent of Robin and Corrin.
I hope he has a female alt like Robin and Corrin

Shroob

Sup?
Some more from the same stream:

LOTS of people crying out for Reimu(Touhou) and Saber(Fate/Stay)

EQUALLY as many people ****ting on them

LOTS of banter about how Fate/Grand Order(Fate's mobile game) is ****

Unironic Sans support

People blaming us Westerners for Piranha Plant because Smash sells better in the west???

"Golden Sun is a dead series only popular in the west"

People swearing that if a Fate/Stay character gets in, they will find the grave of whoever they're based on and **** on it

Bashing LGPE

And racism towards Koreans

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I thought the protagonist was Edelgard? Don't we still know virtually nothing about Three Houses atm?
Three Houses has a player character like Robin/Corrin and a lord from each "house". Edelgard is the current popular pick because people seem to like her character design the most on social media.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
That scene with Sonic & Pikachu is the best moment in the trailer.

No the duck trying to save the dog was the best moment... The dog was cowarding... The duck knew to fly away to escape... The duck could have took off without the dog but refused to.... He refused! That duck that duck man.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's nothing stating it's a reference to Lanky, but sense he's the one who can stretch his arms out just for you it might be.

It's the closest we'll ever get to a playable Lanky Kong regardless.
For now, anyway, the memes will get stronger by the game, especially if Waluigi eventually gets included.

In the meantime, there will definitely be ARMS characters next game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
...I'm not sure how you're not seeing my point???

My point is that there are now several more venues for the Minecraft content now to be in.
This gives more chances for B&K being a playable deal as nothing has come out for them as just "content", which can be perceived as a negative or positive point.

But I get the feeling that as always neither of us are gonna change our mind here, so.
I don't think you're processing how the DLC works.

DLC SETUP
- Character
- Stage
- Music

Oh, I see a lack of Mii Costumes and Spirits being mentioned here. Gets the big thinking machine going.

That means you have two routes:
- Steve, Minecraft Stage, Minecraft Music
- Banjo, Banjo Stage, Minecraft Music

Both are equally possible. And answer me this: why would you have one series as a character but another as a stage?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Unironic Sans support

People blaming us Westerners for Piranha Plant because Smash sells better in the west???

People swearing that if a Fate/Stay character gets in, they will find the grave of whoever they're based on and **** on it

Bashing LGPE

Why are people even talking about Touhou and Fate/Stay?

blackghost

Smash Champion
Oh, I definitely agree.
Despite being 2v2, it places a lot more emphasis on what the character could do then their one good "assist move".

And I feel like this is an unpopular opinion, but story modes are the dumbest thing to want in a fighting game.
They're written poorly, they play poorly, they're extremely expensive and drain resources.
It's just a huge waste of time and money.
i think its a growing opinion only good story mode ive seen is tekken 7 and it still is iffy at times. injustice 1 and 2 arent better games because of them either. they still had similair life spans. brawl had some moments but the story mode is now seen as an average platformer that was a chore.

in fighting games just give a good opening cutscene, arcade mode endings, and maybe a rival cutscene and thats all.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'd be more keen on ZSS as well if those boots didn't exist. The irony of it is that Sakurai said Ridley wouldn't work because sizing him down would change the essence of his character, yet giving ZSS random rocket boots is not changing the essence of her character?

At least there's two other Metroid options now. Both of whom are going to be my mains.
Exactly. Plus, he changed a character he'd already made a perfectly viable kit for. Ugh.

I envy you. I love Metroid, but none of the characters seem for me. I'm not big on playing heavy characters in any fighting game, I no longer like ZSS and I've never liked Samus's gameplay. I'll try again in Ultimate's early days, but I don't see myself repping Metroid this time around.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Unironic Sans support

Bashing LGPE

Jesus Christ.

"People blaming us Westerners for Piranha Plant because Smash sells better in the west???" Whelp... there you have it folks. Japanese fans are just as capable of biased idiocy as we are. XD

D

Deleted member

Unironic Sans support

Bashing LGPE

Youtube cringe at its finest.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
My guess is that it's their equivalent of Shovel Knight/Shantae/Steve support.
Oh okay. I'd love for a Touhou or Fate/Stay character to get in :) But it seems like they're just as whiny and bad as us

Last edited:

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Newcomer likelihood tier list

S
Sora, Steve, Katalina

A
Lloyd, Banjo & Kazooie, DQ Rep, Geno

B
Noctis, Lara Croft, Chrono, Heihachi, RE Rep, Bethesda Rep (Doomguy or Dovahkiin)

C
Actraiser, Bub and Bob, Dante, Crash

D
Nintendo Characters

F
Everyone else

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

DLC SETUP
- Character
- Stage
- Music

Oh, I see a lack of Mii Costumes and Spirits being mentioned here. Gets the big thinking machine going.

Both are equally possible. And answer me this: why would you have one series as a character but another as a stage?
Yes please do talk down to me like I'm a dog when I just conceded that we both have entirely different mindsets and likely won't be able to come to a good conclusion

It's just me going off the ambiguity of the content and the possibility they may throw in some spirits and Costumes as little extras god damn lol

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

DLC SETUP
- Character
- Stage
- Music

Master Chief, Minecraft stage, Halo music

:yeahboi:

Last edited:

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet

DLC SETUP
- Character
- Stage
- Music

I mentioned this before, but I don't think it's likely that they would do separate series for a stage and character, unless the pack came with a mii costume for that stage. It could be possible, but I have an itch that they would want to keep the two tied together, like the cloud stage and character, or the bayonetta stage and character. Personally, I see the banjo character pack with him, his stage, a Steve fighter costume, and music for both as plausible, to say the least.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
As for my predictions, I’ll only list the first one in my sig cause I’m most confident in that. I’ll even include reasoning for this one

- Elma. The ONLY piece of X content in base that we’ve seen is a Skell Spirit, and it’s a Formula model, not a Verus (associated with Elma) or Ares (popular among X fans as a chapter 11 boss and one of the most powerful post game Skells). Plus there’s no X music in the music portion of the direct, just 2 music. In fact 2 got a buttload of content with Pyra/Rex/Zeke/Nia Spirits and Rex and Nia Mii costumes. But no X content aside from the Formula Spirit...perhaps X’s music doesn’t go well on Gaur Plain according to Sakurai, so we could get an X stage (pls Sylvalum) and music with Elma. And more Spirits and possibly a Lin or Lao AT. it makes too much sense
- Bandana Dee. Survived every Assist Trophy Massacre, only a generic Waddle Dee spirit was shown and that one may not even evolve into a BWD spirit (since BWD is a darker orange than other Waddle Dees). Plus, Sakurai is giving more attention to more recent Kirby games now with the Magalor spirit and Dark Meta Knight alt.
- Neku Sakuraba (Square Enix second rep). Square is as stingy as ever with FF (not even an FF AT) so it’s unlikely to be anyone from FF. DQ has lots of legal hurdles, Sora would technically be a Disney rep instead of Square Enix, 2B was probably too recent. There’s also Agnès, the poster girl for Bravely Default, but she is only in Bravely Default, not Second. I’d like Edea Lee (Mrgrgr!) but she’s sadly not the face of Bravely, and I doubt Tiz and Ringabel too for some reason. Not to mention, Nintendo’s English speaking Twitter accounts have been promoting the hell out of The World Ends With You Final Remix. I doubt this is a coincidence...
- KOS-MOS (Bandai Namco second rep). Sakurai once considered Heihachi Mishima, but his VO sadly passed away this year and depending on when the Incineroar lines were recorded, I doubt he’d have been called on to voice two characters before his death, and recycling Tekken clips for Heihachi just doesn’t feel right. There is Lloyd, but I feel it’s tied between him and KOS-MOS right now. If there’s a season two, Lloyd may be DLC if his Mii Costume is gone. KOS-MOS has been in several crossovers, like Project X Zone 1 alongside Ryu and Ken, and 2 added Chrom, Lucina and Fiora to the fray. She’s also a Rare Blade in Xenoblade 2. Xenosaga as a series may be dead but she sure as hell isn’t forgotten, and this may be a grand set up for her fighting game debut...

The last one is interchangeable but here’s my two options:

- Fiora. Yes, I know what you’re thinking. She’s in Shulk’s Final Smash, right? Well, Chrom would like a word with you. FSes aren’t hard deconfirms anymore, and since Rex has a Mii costume and the other 2 characters are spirits, we probably won’t be getting a playable 2 character right away if at all. Plus, Fiora’s FS model is...unnaturally detailed and with more fluid movement than Dunban or Riki. It’s possible she was being worked on but due to time constraints couldn’t fit in base and was for the time being put in Shulk’s FS to compensate while she’s developed further for DLC later on. Two more points in Fiora’s favor are: as aforementioned, appearing in PXZ2 alongside Chrom, Lucina, Ryu, Ken, and as established, KOS-MOS, and she’s also a Season Pass Blade in Xenoblade 2 alongside Shulk and Elma, albeit in her Hom form. The fact that her Hom form Spirit was shown and NOT the form she takes in Shulk’s FS is also a tad suspicious

If not her, then...

- Medusa (Kid Icarus). Palutena’s Medusa palette is missing, and Cree Summer has been liking Medusa For Smash posts, some think this is a way of showing her support without breaking NDA. However, there’s a Castlevania stage enemy also named Medusa, and iirc she’s not denoted as “Medusa (Castlevania)”. And unless we’re getting free patched in echoes, Medusa would have to be a Palutena semi-clone at best. Assuming she’s not a spirit...or maybe not. Idk. But the fact not even a Spirit of her was shown is a tad suspicious.
Angés is in Bravely Second, she’s just not playable. She’s basically the guide of the game.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait. Hold up. What?

How do those two statements correlate? Can someone explain it to me?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
RE: Sora in Smash
All of you raised some good arguments about Sora in Smash Bros., but again I doubt them.
NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy you managed to somewhat refute Thanos in Smash, but what about Wreck-It-Ralph in Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed?

There is a truly odd business decision from modern day Disney. If it had something do with using Sonic in Wreck-It-Ralph, Disney doesn't really gain much from putting one of their breakout characters into a niche racing game. At the very least it shows that minor transactions (cameos in a movie for a playable character) are possible. Mario is rumored to be appearing in Wreck-It-Ralph 2, and while Nintendo did have high licensing fees for Mario in the first Wreck-It-Ralph, what if instead of fees the trade off is Sora in Smash? I know it's a hypothetical, but there's precedent for it.
Quite simply, this is Disney opening the conversation to Sega. This was an exception. Disney was making a video game move and thus came to multiple companies to get video game characters during this Sega took the opportunity to try and add in Wreck-it Ralph as a racer into the negotiations. It was a matter of "Hey, we're already talking so can we get Ralph for This in exchange for Sonic in that?" And it worked out.

It's different if Disney initiates the negotiations, they have the, ahem, "higher ground" over everybody anyways. Having Ralph in All-stars Racing was all in the timing of the first movie. A little later or a little sooner and Ralph in Transformed probably wouldn't have happened.

Basically, it is a LOT easier to ask Disney for something in return if they are asking YOU for something. The other way around is when it gets hellish.

Edit: and if Mario happens in Ralph Breaks the Internet I will be shocked. I'm 100% sure the Mario Movie deal with Universal buried that wish. We'll see. The writers have already hinted that he's not in but I guess it is still a possibility.

Last edited:

GameKarim

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, as some people have been sad because of the whole Grinch leak and some characters not making it in, I got an idea for a pretty nice concept. Instead of completely adding characters, some highly requested characters could be temporary transformations you could take control of in battle through a ´´Character Mask´´. This would enable Nintendo to add in characters which are more important than Assist Trophies/Pokeballs, but not as important as an actual fighter.

The spawn rate of these masks should be lower than that of Assist Trophies/Pokeballs as they are a bit more powerful. As with the summon items there are multiple characters you can transform into, Geno was just the obvious example.
Hope you guys like the general idea as they could change up battles a lot.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To clarify things for people confused about the Three Houses protagonists situation, here's the rundown.

Byleth is a dark-teal haired avatar character that uses a sword. At the moment we don't know if they're more like Mark, or more like Kris/Robin/Corrin.

Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are major characters, as they come from each of the titular three houses, but we don't know if it's a lord trio like Lyn/Eliwood/Hector, or a Ryoma/Xander non-lord one.

Of note, though, is that Edelgard seems to be a pre-promoted unit like Ryoma or Xander, so the trio are either more like Ryoma and Xander, or Edelgard is our first Jagen-styled lord, unless you count Sigurd.

kylexv

Smash Master

Unironic Sans support

Bashing LGPE

Are these people from the Japanese equivalent of 4chan or something? Sure sounds like it.

Also, about the western thing, they said the same thing when Little Mac got into Smash 4 and when Ridley got into this game. Although those arguments actually made a sliver of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom