• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Do you remember that scene in Shrek where Shrek compared ogres to onions and subsequently shot down Donkey's comparison of orges to cake? While there are some parts of your comparison that are true, the comparison as a whole fails when you consider all the implications. Orges are not like cake because not everyone likes cake. Banjo is not like spiderman because even casual fans and younger fans knew who spiderman was and wanted him to interact with their other favorite heroes.
I don't do the neverending internet semantics arguments anymore. You do you elsewhere, man.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Lord of a Dead Empire is in Smash

(Can't hear it but it's the song name)
Believe it or not, I can actually hear it, but barely, even with the people talking. And it's directly from the 3DS version.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I actually think his chances are more likely than ever.
"Minecraft content" now has a above-average chance to be a Mii costume or some music or even a Spirit which comes alongside Banjo's foray in as DLC.
And so does the exact opposite, what's your point? One is not more likely than the other, you're painting a facade.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Who exatcly is Katalina ? I'd like to heard about her if someone call fill me in.
Glad you asked! She is one of the main characters (the main 'unit') in a Japanese mobile game called Granblue Fantasy, and she seems to be the main character in the upcoming Granblue Fantasy game. Nintendo and Cygames, the developer of Granblue Fantasy, have apparently developed a partnership with one another and there might be talks of trying to get her in as DLC for Smash

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Does anyone know what WFT is trying to do in the trailer when she gets attacked by those beams?
She died as she lived, doing yoga.
If youre going to die, you may as well go out enjoying what you do.
She had an ego death and accepted her fate.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I hate the whole "relevancy" BS, which basically boils down to "X character hasn't been in a game for 10 years and, Piranha Plant and Y 3rd party character have, therefore both are better picks than X." Someone I know keeps saying "I don't want Isaac in the game because no-one played Golden Sun, gimme Minecraft Steve or 2B." He mains Marth and Cloud and yet neither has played nor has any intention of playing either of their games. This to me highlights the mindset of people who play Smash but not many other Nintendo games. You'd think sales and release dates would be the driving factors for how a character is received by the general public, but in the end, if the character is fun, they don't actually care who they are. So then why not try to use the roster to paint an accurate picture of Nintendo history? Isaac has had three critically lauded games (something you could argue Star Fox has not), just because the last one came out over 10 years ago doesn't change that, and therefore I think he deserves his place. Honestly, no matter what arguments I hear, I still don't think Piranha Plant was a good choice. I feel we already had a NSMB rep in Bowser Jr. & co., and that Goomba or Koopa were both more iconic and "relevant". I personally think PP was Sakurai and the team's cheeky response to having to make a pre-order bonus rather than a middle finger to fans, but that's a post for another day. If the "relevancy" argument were actually heeded, we'd have nothing but third parties and core Mario characters, and I don't think even casual fans would want that.
Well said, Flappy. (Also "No-one played Golden Sun."; well, whoops! Guess I don't exist. Or the hundreds of people who have frequented the Isaac support threads on this site and others.)

I still believe that Piranha Plant was, at least on some level, a compromise to allow people to play as Petey Piranha.
Does anyone know what WFT is trying to do in the trailer when she gets attacked by those beams?
I think she was trying to do the Sun Salutation...

That or she was trying to go out in style.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Maaaaaaaaan, I just read some Japanese transcripts of reactions from the last Direct... I think the one that stood out to me most was:

"Your Twitter says you're half Korean. Smash is made for humans."

Like, god DAMN Japan, chill
I dated a Korean in college and she told me the Japanese/Korean hate was very real when she worked in Japan.

Not like, "she was afraid for her life" real, but she and her dad had been the recipients of a lot of nonchalant hate speech.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The new protag of FE: Three Hourses, though I don't know where he heard he was DLC...
I thought the protagonist was Edelgard? Don't we still know virtually nothing about Three Houses atm?

D

Deleted member

Sakurai, what in the world made you think giving an already strong character jet boots was a good idea.
The same train of thought that gave Diddy his Lanky Kong powers that he didn't need.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And so does the exact opposite, what's your point? One is not more likely than the other, you're painting a facade.
One of these things hasn't been able to be proved as anything by Vergeben. All he's been able to state is that there's Minecraft content in the game. Not any specifics of what he is.

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
I actually think his chances are more likely than ever.
"Minecraft content" now has a above-average chance to be a Mii costume or some music or even a Spirit which comes alongside Banjo's foray in as DLC.
Which is why I'm not totally giving up on him. Despite that though, I have a feeling that verge is going to do what he did with the gen 7 rep: wait for more info to come in, withhold it, then say that Steve is in. I'm only being pessimistic so if he does get in, I can be happy, and if he doesn't, I don't have to get hurt like I did with shadow.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I mean it has other good moves which is why I reacted that way

Speaking of, Revenge depends on the attack that activated it, and considering it's frame 3, don't risk laggy attacks that do big boy damage on it unless you want to get bodied by back throw or some ****
Doesn't Revenge not completely negate the damage Incineroar takes, though?
With that speed and awful recovery it would take a miracle for him to be top tier. He'd need very good setups and kill confirms, but if bringing him off stage handicaps him severely there's not much hope.

He has absolutely no vertical recovery.
That's patently false, Cross Chop does rise in the air. What Incineroar has is a bad recovery — it's very linear, and his recovery move causes him to fall quickly and in a predefined arc after the ascent is over.
Maaaaaaaaan, I just read some Japanese transcripts of reactions from the last Direct... I think the one that stood out to me most was:

"Your Twitter says you're half Korean. Smash is made for humans."

Like, god DAMN Japan, chill
I know there's bad blood between Japan and Korea, but Jesus Christ, that reads like a prelude to a **** of Nanking.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The same train of thought that gave Diddy his Lanky Kong powers that he didn't need.
Wait what?
I just thought that was "lolcartoonphysics" but making it a lanky kong reference would actually make sense.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
One of these things hasn't been able to be proved as anything by Vergeben. All he's been able to state is that there's Minecraft content in the game. Not any specifics of what he is.
Yes. Ergo, both are equally possible, and nothing has changed to be different, as you said, "now". Your point?

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I thought the protagonist was Edelgard? Don't we still know virtually nothing about Three Houses atm?
Edlegard isn't the protagonist, but she is one of three main character (students I think) that interact with Byleth. She just gets talked about more than the other two. I haven't followed updates much with it so I don't exactly know how much info is available to the public.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Which is why I'm not totally giving up on him. Despite that though, I have a feeling that verge is going to do what he did with the gen 7 rep: wait for more info to come in, withhold it, then say that Steve is in. I'm only being pessimistic so if he does get in, I can be happy, and if he doesn't, I don't have to get hurt like I did with shadow.

Edit: spelling
Definitely pursue the "set your expectations low" route imo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Byleth over Edelgard would make me sad. At least Edelgard has a meme attached to her in the FE fandom. :p

D

Deleted member

Wait what?
I just thought that was "lolcartoonphysics" but making it a lanky kong reference would actually make sense.
There's nothing stating it's a reference to Lanky, but sense he's the one who can stretch his arms out just for you it might be.

It's the closest we'll ever get to a playable Lanky Kong regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yes. Ergo, both are equally possible, and nothing has changed to be different, as you said, "now". Your point?
...I'm not sure how you're not seeing my point???

My point is that there are now several more venues for the Minecraft content now to be in.
This gives more chances for B&K being a playable deal as nothing has come out for them as just "content", which can be perceived as a negative or positive point.

But I get the feeling that as always neither of us are gonna change our mind here, so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom