• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
And if I can't have Arthur, no big deal, I could always ask for Don Ramiro or Madelyn instead, since their games are Ghosts 'N Goblins-inspired anyway. Capcom has plenty of picks to fall back on for Smash.
...um, Maximo? Hello?!!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Also, I know that last time this thread talked about it **** hit the fan but
How do you think Nintendo's gonna respond to criticism about Game and Watch's new Fsmash animation? Cause like, that **** is in poor taste, especially if you use the red skin for G&W. I don't think it was intentional at all but yikes
Simple.
They won't.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
This is what I hate. Every character being judged by relevancy and what sells more now. That's not how Sakurai works. Sakurai's going to add what characters he finds unique and a great fit for Smash, not who sells more.
Let's look at the DLC in Smash 4:
Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas = Veterans that are going to bring in that sweet $$$ for the devs
Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta = Unique and popular third party characters that bring in that sweet $$$ for the devs
Corrin = advertisement character designed to bring the company $$$ if people buy Fates

DLC has and always will be about money. Characters can be unique and I'm sure they will be, but the priority will always be based on which characters can make the most money.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Katalina.

This is from a guy who has probably 2-3000 hours on minecraft and 0 on Granblue Fantasy.
I love MC, but I'd never want to play as Steve in a crossover game and I HATE gacha games, but if you were to choose a character to represent that genre, there are far worse characters.
I have to agree (about the characters). And I love Minecraft as well. But it seems like a lot of Smash fans hate gacha games. Isn't Spirits mode basically a gacha game?

Roberk

Smash Champion
How do you think Nintendo's gonna respond to criticism about Game and Watch's new Fsmash animation? Cause like, that **** is in poor taste, especially if you use the red skin for G&W. I don't think it was intentional at all but yikes
"Hmm, a Day 1 update for Smash? Ah well, it's only a few megabytes, guess they still had a few more kinks to work out."

And nothing was said of it again.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As for my predictions, I’ll only list the first one in my sig cause I’m most confident in that. I’ll even include reasoning for this one

- Elma. The ONLY piece of X content in base that we’ve seen is a Skell Spirit, and it’s a Formula model, not a Verus (associated with Elma) or Ares (popular among X fans as a chapter 11 boss and one of the most powerful post game Skells). Plus there’s no X music in the music portion of the direct, just 2 music. In fact 2 got a buttload of content with Pyra/Rex/Zeke/Nia Spirits and Rex and Nia Mii costumes. But no X content aside from the Formula Spirit...perhaps X’s music doesn’t go well on Gaur Plain according to Sakurai, so we could get an X stage (pls Sylvalum) and music with Elma. And more Spirits and possibly a Lin or Lao AT. it makes too much sense
- Bandana Dee. Survived every Assist Trophy Massacre, only a generic Waddle Dee spirit was shown and that one may not even evolve into a BWD spirit (since BWD is a darker orange than other Waddle Dees). Plus, Sakurai is giving more attention to more recent Kirby games now with the Magolor spirit and Dark Meta Knight alt.
- Neku Sakuraba (Square Enix second rep). Square is as stingy as ever with FF (not even an FF AT) so it’s unlikely to be anyone from FF. DQ has lots of legal hurdles, Sora would technically be a Disney rep instead of Square Enix, 2B was probably too recent. There’s also Agnès, the poster girl for Bravely Default, but she is only in Bravely Default, not Second. I’d like Edea Lee (Mrgrgr!) but she’s sadly not the face of Bravely, and I doubt Tiz and Ringabel too for some reason. Not to mention, Nintendo’s English speaking Twitter accounts have been promoting the hell out of The World Ends With You Final Remix. I doubt this is a coincidence...
- KOS-MOS (Bandai Namco second rep). Sakurai once considered Heihachi Mishima, but his VO sadly passed away this year and depending on when the Incineroar lines were recorded, I doubt he’d have been called on to voice two characters before his death, and recycling Tekken clips for Heihachi just doesn’t feel right. There is Lloyd, but I feel it’s tied between him and KOS-MOS right now. If there’s a season two, Lloyd may be DLC if his Mii Costume is gone. KOS-MOS has been in several crossovers, like Project X Zone 1 alongside Ryu and Ken, and 2 added Chrom, Lucina and Fiora to the fray. She’s also a Rare Blade in Xenoblade 2. Xenosaga as a series may be dead but she sure as hell isn’t forgotten, and this may be a grand set up for her fighting game debut...

The last one is interchangeable but here’s my two options:

- Fiora. Yes, I know what you’re thinking. She’s in Shulk’s Final Smash, right? Well, Chrom would like a word with you. FSes aren’t hard deconfirms anymore unless you're Dunban, Riki, or the Nooklings, and since Rex has a Mii costume and the other 2 characters are spirits, we probably won’t be getting a playable 2 character right away if at all. Plus, Fiora’s FS model is...unnaturally detailed and with more fluid movement than Dunban or Riki. It’s possible she was being worked on but due to time constraints couldn’t fit in base and was for the time being put in Shulk’s FS to compensate while she’s developed further for DLC later on. Two more points in Fiora’s favor are: as aforementioned, appearing in PXZ2 alongside Chrom, Lucina, Ryu, Ken, and as established, KOS-MOS, and she’s also a Season Pass Blade in Xenoblade 2 alongside Shulk and Elma, albeit in her Hom form. The fact that her Hom form Spirit was shown and NOT the form she takes in Shulk’s FS is also a tad suspicious

If not her, then...

- Medusa (Kid Icarus). Palutena’s Medusa palette is missing, and Cree Summer has been liking Medusa For Smash posts, some think this is a way of showing her support without breaking NDA. However, there’s a Castlevania stage enemy also named Medusa, and iirc she’s not denoted as “Medusa (Castlevania)”. And unless we’re getting free patched in echoes, Medusa would have to be a Palutena semi-clone at best. Assuming she’s not a spirit...or maybe not. Idk. But the fact not even a Spirit of her was shown is a tad suspicious.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have to agree (about the characters). And I love Minecraft as well. But it seems like a lot of Smash fans hate gacha games. Isn't Spirits mode basically a gacha game?
Yes.
Which is why I don't like it.

Well, it has the gacha gameplay of doing menial tasks for .pngs but it doesn't have the cancerous dice-rolling, so that's nice.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Yeah but that doesn't stop them from appearing in crossover material.
Like ****, we still have Arthur and Firebrand in MvC and exactly zero people give a **** about those guys.

Plus, we got Jedah as a new character in MvCI. A character from a dead franchise got in with a game with a limited-*** cast.
to this day the jedah inclusion confuses me. not that just he was in but how much effort he received.
i think the issues came from disney honestly. forcing a story mode probably limited dev time. and even with the restrictions, capcom still delivered a vs game that i love to play. i hate th echaracter selection limitations but the fighting system is incredible. also 2v2> 3v3 i dont like being forced to use an assist character i hate but need. its why i returned dbfz week 2. too many restrictions.

D

Deleted member

Maybe transform it into the censored version of the GBA remake.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
There's something to be said about games that make great armored women designs.

I will never not sing that game's praises.
I can't even see her chest, this is truly breaking new ground.
Aveline is the best Dragon Age 2 companion and anyone else who says otherwise is wrong.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yes.
Which is why I don't like it.

Well, it has the gacha gameplay of doing menial tasks for .pngs but it doesn't have the cancerous dice-rolling, so that's nice.
I say whatever adds replay value and doesn't cost real money is good by me :) I like the gacha concept, and I've been wanting a level up system in Smash for years (and no I don't count amiibos as a level up system, because that's just for CPUs)

D

Deleted member

The move hits in a tenth of a second and Incineroar has moments during the move it can't even be hit

What was the GBA sprite then?
It took off the feather and the small bit of clothing.

Basically, Mr. Game & Watch, but with eyes, teeth and a fire torch.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
to this day the jedah inclusion confuses me. not that just he was in but how much effort he received.
i think the issues came from disney honestly. forcing a story mode probably limited dev time. and even with the restrictions, capcom still delivered a vs game that i love to play. i hate th echaracter selection limitations but the fighting system is incredible. also 2v2> 3v3 i dont like being forced to use an assist character i hate but need. its why i returned dbfz week 2. too many restrictions.
Oh, I definitely agree.
Despite being 2v2, it places a lot more emphasis on what the character could do then their one good "assist move".

And I feel like this is an unpopular opinion, but story modes are the dumbest thing to want in a fighting game.
They're written poorly, they play poorly, they're extremely expensive and drain resources.
It's just a huge waste of time and money.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Re: Spirits being a Gacha Game.

The thing about that is that there is no real money exchanging hands in Spirits Mode.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
What was your favorite and least favorite part of the direct? My favorite part was leveling up the spirits and my least favorite part was no stage builder

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I can't even see her chest, this is truly breaking new ground.
The only two characters you can see the chest of are the pirate ***** (fitting her character) and the dwarf who wants to show off his chest hair. Otherwise everyone's covered in suitable, actual armor befitting their race/class/origins. I love the character design of that game.

Potato_

Smash Lord
As for my predictions, I’ll only list the first one in my sig cause I’m most confident in that. I’ll even include reasoning for this one

- Neku Sakuraba (Square Enix second rep). Square is as stingy as ever with FF (not even an FF AT) so it’s unlikely to be anyone from FF. DQ has lots of legal hurdles, Sora would technically be a Disney rep instead of Square Enix, 2B was probably too recent. There’s also Agnès, the poster girl for Bravely Default, but she is only in Bravely Default, not Second. I’d like Edea Lee (Mrgrgr!) but she’s sadly not the face of Bravely, and I doubt Tiz and Ringabel too for some reason. Not to mention, Nintendo’s English speaking Twitter accounts have been promoting the hell out of The World Ends With You Final Remix. I doubt this is a coincidence...
If only I had this much confidence in Neku's chances.

I'm almost certain it's Sora. Despite the legal troubles it's freaking Sora, no way Nintendo and Sakurai pass up the chance at including him. Especially with KH3 around the corner Nintendo could probably manage a deal with Square and Disney to put him in, and make an incredible amount of money in the process. Not to mention SpawnWave hinting at him.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
The move hits in a tenth of a second and Incineroar has moments during the move it can't even be hit

What was the GBA sprite then?
Its just going to be in a Zangief situation. It wont have a lot of mobility, it has problematic recovery, it has no projectile, I mean, jeeze, It has one great move compared to its cons. Its not going to be a broken character when compared to its flaws. Its just one move.

Okay, how about we nerf its B special, but it gets Fox's speed and K. Rool's kill power?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If you had to pick Steve or Katalina for DLC, who would you pick?
Steve. I'd rather have Minecraft than some literal who gacha girl.

Also it'd be funny to make fun of Banjo people because I told them so. It's free ego points. :110:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My favorite "women in armor" design is the design where you can't even tell they're a woman when they're in full armor.
HAWT

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
So do you think it's a gacha game?
Spirits is a mode with gacha elements. No more, no less. There's no in-game purchases so I don't think it's too bad. Not ideal as you can get duplicates and such, but at least you can also craft the spirits yourself.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh yeah, that supposed Isaac item is pretty much just the sticky bomb but it continually heals you in short bursts. It's pretty weird, good for teams tho.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Steve. I'd rather have Minecraft than some literal who gacha girl.

Also it'd be funny to make fun of Banjo people because I told them so. It's free ego points. :110:
lol ego points obviously mean everything :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom