• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I still kinda think ATs are hard deconfirms personally, as well as bosses and CERTAIN stage cameos. I think if Captain Toad becomes playable his New Donk City model can be swapped for Toadette or something. Viridi may be a bit harder...

Mii costumes are debatable IMO, as are spirits. At the very least a Spirit workaround could be the character has a different design than their spirit form

But hey what do I know lol
I 100% think AT's are deconfirmed for the Fighter Pass. No way they went through the effort of making them AT's just to add them in as characters not even a few months after development.

Mii costumes I don't think hard deconfirm anyone except for Rex, and that's only because of Sakurai's explanation for the costume. I don't think the costume itself was the thing that deconfirmed him to be clear.

Spirits I think don't mean anything. We have a "Fighter" section for spirits, and if they decided to add a character that was already a spirit (Basically almost every first party ever) they could just move their spirit to the "Fighter" section. I think this'll be a lot more clear once we actually get the game and see if things like Piranha Plant have spirits, since we know that's a fighter already. If he has a spirit still then it's clear spirits don't deconfirm anyone.

I think should we get a Season 2 for DLC that AT's will start to come into the picture a lot more. Until then though I don't think it's happening.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's got Lyn, 10/10
No SMT tho, so 0/10
overall it balances out to a solid 11/10

Math is hard.
Well, there is space for two others, so just assume one of them is Demi-Fiend, Jack Frost or Joker or something.

You know, thinking about it; how would people have reacted if Bandana Dee had been the free character instead of Piranha Plant?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Am I the only on here that wouldn’t mind having Katalina in Smash? I’ve never played the game but there’s something about her that makes me want her in smash. I think it might be her design.
It's not that I wouldn't mind her, it's more like I really want her in.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Lord of a Dead Empire is in Smash

(Can't hear it but it's the song name)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Can we get Capcom vs Nintendo?

Capcom has too many good IPs that I'll be dead by the time they all get into Smash.
Resident Evil.
Monster Hunter.
Okami.
Ace Attorney.
Asura's Wrath.
Rival Schools.
Power Stone.
Darkstalkers.
Viewtiful Joe.
Dragon's Dogma.
Dead Rising.
Devil May Cry.
Lost Planet.
Breath of Fire.
Onimusha.

Just writing this list makes me depressed Capcom vs. Capcom isn't a thing.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, there is space for two others, so just assume one of them is Demi-Fiend, Jack Frost or Joker or something.

You know, thinking about it; how would people have reacted if Bandana Dee had been the free character instead of Piranha Plant?
There'd be...
way less salt.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There is no ****ing way that dumb ass Lariat is staying that way day 1 it needs a day one patch because holy **** that is terrifying because you can't even try to shield as you can get baited into shielding and then the stupid bara cat just grabs you and does like 16 percent regardless and maybe even kill

Potato_

Smash Lord
Yeah. It's not so much "two versions of this character are here at the same time and that's wrong", because otherwise we couldn't pick the same character as each other.

It's "will they get confused about who's who during the fight". Chrom being in Robin's FS doesn't matter because it's a separate cutscene interrupting the fight. Nobody's aiming for Chrom during that segment then getting confused.

Now if Samus had her Smash 4 Dark Samus alt and was playing against a Dark Samus in her base color, that could be a problem. I'd argue the same problem exists with ATs considering they now count for KOs and, on the whole, have a larger presence and more sophisticated AI.
And yet we have the Yarn Yoshi that looks EXTREMELY similar to base green Yoshi. It's weird, because stuff like the Dark Samus alt for Samus being taken away makes it seem like they are taking that stuff into account, and then they turn around and do that.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Rather poorly, I imagine. A fan favorite wouldn't work well as a limited time offer.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Crash would more likely be Season 2, if he's even in at all.

This is what I would want to see (though not what I want period)
Season 1: Isaac, Shadow, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Geno​
Season 2: Rex & Pyra, Banjo, Crash, Steve, Sora​
Season 3 (if it goes that far): Waluigi, Lyn, Agumon, two others

How's this for a DLC roster? (Ignore the fact that some are ATs for a minute)
>assist trophies put into characters in the first season
1496177073552.png
You need me to put you in an MRI to scan your brain to see if it's okay?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nah, I want Morrigan and whatnot in it.

There is a reason why Marvel vs Capcom used to work so well. They have both characters with a lot of mature elements without going full Mortal Combat, mixed with fun stuff.
And if I can't have Arthur, no big deal, I could always ask for Don Ramiro or Madelyn instead, since their games are Ghosts 'N Goblins-inspired anyway. Capcom has plenty of picks to fall back on for Smash.

To me, MvC ended after Ultimate MvC3 (which is a shame, given how Miss Marvel got ruined after that).

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Resident Evil.
Monster Hunter.
Okami.
Ace Attorney.
Asura's Wrath.
Rival Schools.
Power Stone.
Darkstalkers.
Viewtiful Joe.
Dragon's Dogma.
Dead Rising.
Devil May Cry.
Lost Planet.
Breath of Fire.
Onimusha.

Just writing this list makes me depressed Capcom vs. Capcom isn't a thing.
most of this list is already dead. darkstalkers are never returning. morrigan is like fox now. she is more known for showing up in vs games than her own material.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Crash would more likely be Season 2, if he's even in at all.

This is what I would want to see (though not what I want period)
Season 1: Isaac, Shadow, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Geno​
Season 2: Rex & Pyra, Banjo, Crash, Steve, Sora​
Season 3 (if it goes that far): Waluigi, Lyn, Agumon, two others

How's this for a DLC roster? (Ignore the fact that some are ATs for a minute)
Two others...
Shovel Knight and Ashley.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There is no ****ing way that dumb *** Lariat is staying that way day 1 it needs a day one patch because holy **** that is terrifying because you can't even try to shield as you can get baited into shielding and then the stupid bara cat just grabs you and does like 16 percent regardless and maybe even kill
Eh, won't matter when you knock him off and his only options are to go straight up and then commit suicide.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Rather poorly, I imagine. A fan favorite wouldn't work well as a limited time offer.
Um... why the heck not? Fans of that character would be stumbling all over themselves for that offer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lord of a Dead Empire is in Smash

(Can't hear it but it's the song name)
YES! THAT'S ANOTHER ONE DOWN FROM MY WISHLIST.

Come on, Sakurai, give us The Scions' Dance in Purgatory.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Rather have Katalina over Steve but that’s just my opinion.
Oh yes, without a doubt. Now that you mention it, those that don't want "a mobile game character" in Smash, would they rather have Steve over Katalina?

LetterO

Smash Lord
But both of those will sell more than a Rhythm Heaven character
This is what I hate. Every character being judged by relevancy and what sells more now. That's not how Sakurai works. Sakurai's going to add what characters he finds unique and a great fit for Smash, not who sells more.

And Rhythm Heaven is huge in Japan, so it'd definitely sell more than Doomguy at the very least.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sorry everyone, I went to bed and wasn't able to respond last night, and I have an essay to work on, so I won't be as active today. Still figured I'd address some topics that we were discussing last night.

RE: Katalina in Smash

She could literally just be a last second negotiation. I know I've argued against slots, but there could've been a first party character for DLC that was kicked off the list because negotiations for Katalina worked out. I imagine it's a similar "you scratch my back I scratch yours" where Cygames helps Nintendo make Dragalia Lost and they add Katalina into Smash. It also makes sense as a move made to help Nintendo's partner break out into the West, so she her chances are slightly higher as she is a promotional character, similar to Corrin.

RE: Steve in Smash

Here's how you represent Steve in Smash without the art style clashing too much. It's not too hard of a stretch you guys.

RE: LeakyPandy and Ruffled Feathers
Their information doesn't necessarily hint at Dragon Quest. It could also hint at Monster Hunter, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, or any other game awarded "best in genre," which is highly vague wording. Mind you, "Most Anticipated Game" is a category, or "genre" at the VGAs, and what game seems to be a shoe-in for that award? Kingdom Hearts 3.

Now, mind you, this is assuming that LeakyPandy actually has correct information, given that they have gotten absolutely nothing right so far.

I went and traced back the statement about "ruffled feathers," and it was made around October 19th (the post I dug up was made by the same user in response to the original one). It's stated that the company is not Nintendo, but it doesn't specify which company it is. So, it could be Square Enix, it could be Microsoft, it could even be Capcom for all we know. This does disqualify Spawn Wave's statements about Sora at the VGAs though, but doesn't rule them out. I'm much more tempted to trust Spawn Wave over LeakyPandy given his current 9-0 track record (as @TotsBS and Nekoo Nekoo can vouch for).

RE: Sora in Smash
All of you raised some good arguments about Sora in Smash Bros., but again I doubt them.
NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy you managed to somewhat refute Thanos in Smash, but what about Wreck-It-Ralph in Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed?

There is a truly odd business decision from modern day Disney. If it had something do with using Sonic in Wreck-It-Ralph, Disney doesn't really gain much from putting one of their breakout characters into a niche racing game. At the very least it shows that minor transactions (cameos in a movie for a playable character) are possible. Mario is rumored to be appearing in Wreck-It-Ralph 2, and while Nintendo did have high licensing fees for Mario in the first Wreck-It-Ralph, what if instead of fees the trade off is Sora in Smash? I know it's a hypothetical, but there's precedent for it.

Additionally, there has been a precedent of Disney respecting Square Enix when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. See the cancelled 2002 Kingdom Hearts cartoon, which was cancelled "so as to not jeopardize the relationship between Square Enix & Disney as they began to expand the franchise." We can assume that a similar occurrence happened with Kingdom Hearts Fragmented Keys, though I don't have a direct source saying this (I could've sworn someone said the game was cancelled because Square Enix didn't think it was good enough).

I've also dug up some old statements from PlayerOneTyler PlayerOneTyler (I'm sorry I keep throwing mentions to you dude) who worked on Disney Infinity which featured Kingdom Hearts Content. While skeptical of Sora in Smash, his statements still show that its possible.
I think Disney and Square-Enix would allow Sora into Smash. However, they won't initiate that conversation-- it's up to Sakurai to make the request.
The only thing is that Disney still has to approve everything and Disney's legal can be a pain. I'm sure Sakurai would bend to their will, though.
I used to work on Disney Infinity and have worked directly with the Kingdom Hearts IP. I have friend in Disney Interactive legal who've I've already synced with on this question. Disney owns the rights to any non-Final Fantasy/TWEWY character in Kingdom Hearts. However, Disney still works directly with Square-Enix on any merchandising, advertising, and basically anything that uses the likeness of those characters.

I've also brought this up multiple times, lmao.
You'd be surprised. lmao. We had to go through SO many hoops just to get Mickey Mouse his King Mickey alternate costume and the Keyblade in Disney Infinity-- a game developed by The Walt Disney Company. It was... a process, to say the least.

And it's not that Disney would pass on Sora in Smash, it just they'll make it so ridiculously hard for Sakurai and his team to put Sora together in a timely manner, haha.
The only other qualm here is that Sakurai or some other representative would have to approach Disney about it first. Disney would not make the first gesture in this situation. Sora's destiny is in Sakurai's hands, for the most part. And that's only if he wants him to begin with.
Sakurai would not be part of that conversation, however, it's up to him and his team to uphold Sora's (or other 3rd party characters') likeness and character integrity. Any changes he or his team makes has to go through a process with stakeholders to get approvals, and anything that needs to be changed falls directly on him and his team.

EDIT: Also, Sakurai is directing the game. He very well has the power to decide who and who not to negotiate rights with. He might not be in the conversation directly, but he is directing the game. His say matters. Now, whether his say is overruled by someone above him is a different conversation.
Also, the argument of "Sora needs Disney" or "Sora means we'd also get Disney content" seems to come down to personal opinion. At this point myself and others believe that Kingdom Hearts has the capability of standing on its own without necessarily needing Disney, and this applies to Smash. Sora himself is, in my opinion, the perfect representation of the crossover Disney and Square Enix because he is the product of their teamwork. Similar with any original Kingdom Hearts content, and Sakurai has shown himself to be willing to twist things when dealing with fan demand (such as Ridley and King K. Rool), something Sora has in droves.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There is no ****ing way that dumb *** Lariat is staying that way day 1 it needs a day one patch because holy **** that is terrifying because you can't even try to shield as you can get baited into shielding and then the stupid bara cat just grabs you and does like 16 percent regardless and maybe even kill
Yeah that's a grappler playstyle for you. Anyway I have a really hard time imagining a superheavy with poor mobility and awful recover is going to need significant nerfs at release.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
most of this list is already dead. darkstalkers are never returning. morrigan is like fox now. she is more known for showing up in vs games than her own material.
Yeah but that doesn't stop them from appearing in crossover material.
Like ****, we still have Arthur and Firebrand in MvC and exactly zero people give a **** about those guys.

Plus, we got Jedah as a new character in MvCI. A character from a dead franchise got in with a game with a limited-ass cast.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If you had to pick Steve or Katalina for DLC, who would you pick?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Um... why the heck not? Fans of that character would be stumbling all over themselves for that offer.
I mean, they would buy him, but I feel like people would complain because it's kinda forcing them to take the offer.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
What does all this mean? Who is Lariat? And is the bara cat Incenaoar?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey, you're not alone...
She's got a great design, and we need more ice users besides just the Ice Climbers
Also, she has a dress that would be tough to edit, and would make for a great alt outfit.

I've made peace with Darkstalkers being dead, at this stage I just want Morrigan in Smash mostly so MvCI isn't a butt-ugly final appearance for her.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If you had to pick Steve or Katalina for DLC, who would you pick?
Katalina.

This is from a guy who has probably 2-3000 hours on minecraft and 0 on Granblue Fantasy.
I love MC, but I'd never want to play as Steve in a crossover game and I HATE gacha games, but if you were to choose a character to represent that genre, there are far worse characters.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The thing is: Piranha Plant is a limited time offer, but only insofar that he is free for that time, you'll still be able to buy him later after January 2019.

I think part of the salt, beyond the fact that Piranha Plant is a silly idea, is that "it's not Geno".

I'm serious, most of the reactions I've watched have had the reactor say "Geno! It's Geno!" when the Piranha Plant trailer starts.

And then Mario finds the Plant Pot.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i won't believe assist trophies as dlc unless i see it. seems like a poor move to me. bad PR especially. selling something that is alreaady in the game? where have i heard that before?

it also opens a box i dont think they will want to open "Why did zero come in as DLC?? Why not upgrade __________?" dont open that box.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also, I know that last time this thread talked about it **** hit the fan but
How do you think Nintendo's gonna respond to criticism about Game and Watch's new Fsmash animation? Cause like, that **** is in poor taste, especially if you use the red skin for G&W. I don't think it was intentional at all but yikes

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Nah, me too, she's cool. It's rare to see women with full armor in JRPGs (or any RPGs, for that matter).
There's something to be said about games that make great armored women designs.

I will never not sing that game's praises.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I mean, they would buy him, but I feel like people would complain because it's kinda forcing them to take the offer.
The "Limited Offer" thing is just to get the character for free.

The Smashbros site confirms you'll be able to buy Piranha Plant on release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom