• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I'm starting to wonder if the final smash meter will be utilized in tournament play.
I'd love the idea but there are some characters who will be top tier by their Final Smash alone. Marcina's Critical Hit is extremely easy to incorporate in combos and due to it being a One Hit KO, one touch from then and you die. And there are some characters who camp to try and fish a Final Smash out, leading to slower paced fights in a game that seems to incentivize aggressive and punish play.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The fear of Steve in Smash is so funny to me.

''OH NO I DON'T WANT THIS ICONIC GAMING CHARACTER BECAUSE THE CHILDREN. THE CHILDREN THEY LIKE HIM."
Nah, you see, he's ugly, which clashes with pretty characters like :ultmiifighters: or :ultkrool:.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Let's be real here, would Steve even fit in Smash? Don't get me wrong I like the game, but I literally just cannot see him in Smash as a playable character.
As much as I dislike the idea of Steve getting in the game, there is a metric ton of moveset potential that is just ripe for the taking. Possible mechanics could include:

- A special that allows him access to a radial inventory that works not unlike Shulk's Monado Arts. He can cycle through and pick out stuff like an axe, a sword, a shovel, a pick, etc, each with different properties that interact with other stuff and are also upgradable.

- A move where he chucks different kinds of blocks. He can use these blocks as pseudo platforms, projectiles (only active as they're thrown), makeshift wall/shield...list goes on. He can also farm these blocks and break them down into component parts and resources to upgrade his equipment (see above). They spawn in a set rotation (going in order, like clay, rock, coal, bejeweled, etc)

- He could plant trees, chop at 'em with an axe, and get wood for...something. I dunno Minecraft too well, or how you could incorpate that element specifically, but yeah.

There is a TON of stuff you could do with him, and tbh, Sakurai could pull it off

Smooth Criminal

trivialEquinox

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0888-9891-1486
I'd love the idea but there are some characters who will be top tier by their Final Smash alone. Marcina's Critical Hit is extremely easy to incorporate in combos and due to it being a One Hit KO, one touch from then and you die. And there are some characters who camp to try and fish a Final Smash out, leading to slower paced fights in a game that seems to incentivize aggressive and punish play.
Yeah I can definitely see that happening. I just thought it'd be fun to use, since Sakurai gave us these options and it'd be a shame to see them not used in tournament. I'll be using FS meter with my friends for sure though.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
- He could plant trees, chop at 'em with an axe, and get wood for...something. I dunno Minecraft too well, or how you could incorpate that element specifically, but yeah.

Smooth Criminal
Steve as Villager echo confirmed :p

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Senjougaha_Hitagi is apparently 'credible' according to Vergeben, though he hasn't heard the same thing that they have.

It's a mobile phone gacha game that Nintendo owns a 5% stock of in their company, and their company made Dragalia Lost.
Nintendo own 5% stock in Cygames.
But DeNA owns 24% stock in Cygames.
Nintendo also owns 10% stock in DeNA.

Just to understand there's a bit more corporate intricacies at play for Granblue.

DeNA is Nintendo's mobile game guy.

trivialEquinox

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0888-9891-1486
As much as I dislike the idea of Steve getting in the game, there is a metric ton of moveset potential that is just ripe for the taking. Possible mechanics could include:

- A special that allows him access to a radial inventory that works not unlike Shulk's Monado Arts. He can cycle through and pick out stuff like an axe, a sword, a shovel, a pick, etc, each with different properties that interact with other stuff and are also upgradable.

- A move where he chucks different kinds of blocks. He can use these blocks as pseudo platforms, projectiles (only active as they're thrown), makeshift wall/shield...list goes on. He can also farm these blocks and break them down into component parts and resources to upgrade his equipment (see above). They spawn in a set rotation (going in order, like clay, rock, coal, bejeweled, etc)

There is a TON of stuff you could do with him, and tbh, Sakurai could pull it off

Smooth Criminal
Not gonna lie, I'd actually might just play him. I'm thinking a little more of it now, and does seem pretty snazzy and fun. It'd be a little more on the weird side to see him on the roster though.

Smooth Criminal
Not gonna lie, that actually sounds like a cool and fun character to play as, looking at his potential moveset. It'd be a little more on the weird side to see him on the roster though.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
@ Final Smash discussion with regards to comp play:

zeldasmash zeldasmash is pretty much on the nose. Even Sakurai mentioned that they're not balanced for competitive play. Still, they are a blast besides.

Can't wait to be put inside a coffin.

Smooth Criminal

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not gonna lie, I'd actually might just play him. I'm thinking a little more of it now, and does seem pretty snazzy and fun. It'd be a little more on the weird side to see him on the roster though.

Not gonna lie, that actually sounds like a cool and fun character to play as, looking at his potential moveset. It'd be a little more on the weird side to see him on the roster though.
ohoh no i refreshed and thought i lost my progress but ended up doing it two times im dumb
You still posted wrote the same thing twice in the upper post.

NineS

Smash Lord
Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal Sorry to be a bother, but there's something I've been meaning to ask for a while now.
Why do you always put Smooth Criminal at the end of your posts?

and more importantly, will you do it again?
Is it because you're a Smooth Criminal?
Yeah I saw that right when I posted. Oh well, mistakes were made.
I've noticed this isn't the first time you've had the issue. Is it internet related or human error?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Hmm..just a thought, but it may be possible for Linkle and some other Hyrule Warriors characters to appear as Spirits in the game considering we saw Rabbid Peach is one of them.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice

Red and Green for life
A Tale of fire and water
K.Rool X Incineroar Fanfiction by INCIROOL4EVER2006
Let's be real here, would Steve even fit in Smash? Don't get me wrong I like the game, but I literally just cannot see him in Smash as a playable character.
He'd look different, but so did snake at the beggining and Game and Watch still does. He has a potential for a great potential moveset.

trivialEquinox

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0888-9891-1486
Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal Sorry to be a bother, but there's something I've been meaning to ask for a while now.
Why do you always put Smooth Criminal at the end of your posts?

and more importantly, will you do it again?
Is it because you're a Smooth Criminal?

I've noticed this isn't the first time you've had the issue. Is it internet related or human error?
It's both. I had an outage so I refreshed Chrome. Didn't read that I still had my message saved. Also how do I reply to like a certain reply such as the last part of your message? I'm still a baby to Smash Boards.

NineS

Smash Lord
It's both. I had an outage so I refreshed Chrome. Didn't read that I still had my message saved. Also how do I reply to like a certain reply such as the last part of your message? I'm still a baby to Smash Boards.
All you have to do to reply to a certain reply is...

Click the reply button on the bottom right corner of a post.

Once added to your post, you can edit which part of the quoted reply to respond to yourself manually.

Last edited:

CrimsonVallier

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KipVallier
3DS FC
3866-8291-8606
hmmm...
Maybe at that minecraft event thing they will show a stage?
It might be why demos don't allow people to pick stages so the stage dosen't get spoiled

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
hmmm...
Maybe at that minecraft event thing they will show a stage?
It might be why demos don't allow people to pick stages so the stage dosen't get spoiled
I thought you could pick a stage, but everyone just kept picking Smashville. Anyways, I don't think it is good to expect Smash content outside of Nintendo related Directs, there is no way Smash fans just follow every single non Smash events and people there might not even be interested in Smash.

That PFP though. Really INTERESTING.

NineS

Smash Lord
Just wanted to drop this in:

Shantae's Director/Creator is now openly rooting for Shantae to be one of the Smash DLC characters.
Do you think he got the memo about what Sakurai said, or knows something we don't?

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

Shantae's Director/Creator is now openly rooting for Shantae to be one of the Smash DLC characters.
Do you think he got the memo about what Sakurai said, or knows something we don't?
What did Sakurai say? Also 4 out of 5 Smash DLC? Is he confused about Piranha not being one of the five or is he hope four out of five character would all be from Shantae? ;)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I thought you could pick a stage, but everyone just kept picking Smashville. Anyways, I don't think it is good to expect Smash content outside of Nintendo related Directs, there is no way Smash fans just follow every single non Smash events and people there might not even be interested in Smash.

That PFP though. Really INTERESTING.
I know. Isn't my boi a C U T I E P I E ? :yoshi:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
NineS NineS

No bother at all! The long and short of it is when I was much younger and bright-eyed/bushy-tailed about the Internet, I didn't know that a forum signature was something that you could set to appear under every single post. I wasn't even aware that you could put pictures there! So I appended every post with my tag/user name and it became habit; even going as far as to say that I'll keep doing this until I can get one of those cool picture-based sigs each and every single time. It took me a hot minute or three to figure things out, but by the time I did it was so ingrained that I just kept doing it out of rote. And so...there you have it.

Today, it's a Smashboards exclusive meme.

Smooth Criminal

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Hmm?
Why do I almost always wake up to people going back to the "Disney are corporate Nazi" argument?

You know that if he want Sora he just talk to Disney right? Not Pixar and Marvel. Just... Disney? They're different entity.

And Vergeben's silence on whenever Sora count as a Square-Enix Character since August when he's willing to answer every other questions is enough to tell us that he is in the list of 7 he have.

Jesus you guys manage to make it way more complicated than possible every time I leave, as if it was your guilty pleasure to antagonize Disney.

If there a KH deal it's with Square-Enix and Disney.
If Nomura Say Yes, There is chance Disney will compel out of respect to not hurt their relationship with him-

As long as Disney get some money out of the DLC deal, they ain't going to buy stock, or whatever the **** you all went into lmao

NineS

Smash Lord
What did Sakurai say? Also 4 out of 5 Smash DLC? Is he confused about Piranha not being one of the five or is he hope four out of five character would all be from Shantae? ;)
Sakurai said that all DLC characters were planned from the start during the direct, but some conflicting information has arisen since then that goes against this.

I think he might've meant he wanted Shantae for one of the DLC characters out of 5, but put it in a jokey format asking in for the same in reverse.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
And Vergeben's silence on whenever Sora count as a Square-Enix Character since August when he's willing to answer every other questions is enough to tell us that he is in the list of 7 he have.
Let's not take the "Silence == Confirmation" logic again.
But I agree with the rest. Disney and Nintendo isn't rivals, heck even Microsoft is barely a rival to Nintendo. Business deal for Sora can work out, I honestly think it is purely on Nintendo and Sakurai to make the call or not.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Let's not take the "Silence == Confirmation" logic again.
But I agree with the rest. Disney and Nintendo isn't rivals, heck even Microsoft is barely a rival to Nintendo. Business deal for Sora can work out, I honestly think it is purely on Nintendo and Sakurai to make the call or not.
I'm not taking it as SORA IS IN confirmation.
But that question on whenever Sora is a Square-Enix Character is the one he avoid at all costs even when mixed with other questions in the same post.
He will answers the rest except that one-

And with how he made it clear that he never commented on Characters listed on his list, while Sora is probably not the actual choice, he is probably still in the list of 7 Square-Enix Character that Vergeben got

D

Deleted member

As a Fantastic Four fan, i find Disney better than Fox in general.

While Disney makes some mistakes from time to time (like the James Gunn thing), Fox hasn’t gotten a decent track of success these years.

Sure, we got things like Logan, and the Deadpool movies... But then we have trash like the latest Alien and Predator movies, the new seasons of the Simpsons, the controversy behind the Queen movie that just released... And of course, Trankt4stic.

I hated that one, a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Poor guy, the characters have already been chosen.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
As a Fantastic Four fan, i find Disney better than Fox in general.

While Disney makes some mistakes from time to time (like the James Gunn thing), Fox hasn’t gotten a decent track of success these years.

Sure, we got things like Logan, and the Deadpool movies... But then we have trash like the latest Alien and Predator movies, the new seasons of the Simpsons, the controversy behind the Queen movie that just released... And of course, Trankt4stic.

I hated that one, a lot.
What happened with the Queen movie?
The last mess I've heard was with the latest Predator involving the kid.

D

Deleted member

What happened with the Queen movie?
The last mess I've heard was with the latest Predator involving the kid.
Some say that the original director left the project because Fox wanted to skip a lot of parts related to Freddie’s life, just to make most of the movie about the band in general.

And maybe more.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
:thinking:

Hmm, there seems to be some uproar on Smashbros in Reddit. Apparently, someone might have managed to actually steal a copy of Ultimate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom