• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Imagine being so entitled that you believe one character's inclusion means that your character didn't get in.

There is no such thing as deservedness, and characters are going to get in Smash Bros. regardless of fanmade rules and wishes. Katalina getting into Smash means that Katalina got into Smash and nothing more; it doesn't mean that she replaced anyone or took another character's slot.

It seriously feels like we've regressed as a community back to the Sm4sh days. I thought we'd moved beyond stupid arguments about characters being "deserving," and that if one character gets in it fills an arbitrary slot that "muh *insert popular character here*" could've taken.

But silly me for believing we could be better.
We're back to the dark age of the ballot days when the DLC are all but planned from the begining unlike Smash4
Whatever we say won't change anything anymore lmao

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I'm just as confused as to why Granblue when there are MANY possible japanese catering reps if that's what they really cared about.

Then I found out it's a character for an upcoming game and the pieces all fell into place

Promotional fighters are a thing. Roy and Corrin were a thing. This one is very much in the same vein from what I can tell

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That is a good point. Maybe their expectations are just too high
This point of mine may be controversial, but needs to be put out here.

I think at this point, it might be good of them to shift focus on other Mario-related characters (especially anything pertaining to :ultwario:, the poor wah). Gotta have multiple numbers to bet on, and not cash in all your chips on a single one. Characters that got more than one appearance or two seem like they have a better chance than others, I think.

We're back to the dark age of the ballot days when the DLC are all but planned from the begining unlike Smash4
Whatever we say won't change anything anymore lmao
At least there's no ballot this time, so there won't be any accusations of higher-ups or fans rigging the winner, and we'll have an easier time getting over any issues and be civil.

Seriously though, I don't want to retreat like when Bayonetta got shown off.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People can defend an iconic Mario character. A Japan-only, anime-styled, sword-fighting, gacha rep? Yikes.
you can find critics and defenders of every character in Smash.
Hell, if tripping returned, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a specific subset of people saying it improves the game.
It's nothing new.

Course, while the contention from said Japan, anime, swordsman, gacha, mobile rep would be... quite big, possibly bigger than PP, the backlash wouldn't amount to much as everything is (presumably) pre-planned.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If Katalina got in I wouldn't be mad, I wouldn't care at all really. The only weird thing is the fact that she's a mobile character, that would feel a bit odd to me.
But i'd get over it.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Thing is, if the Rex situation was just due to base roster why not hold off on making a mii costume and actually make him DLC if he seems so worth it that they actually took a moment of the direct to specifically sate "we didn't add him cause too new"

and why explain it during the DLC segment anyways, he wasn't the only mii costume
Fair cop.

I had forgotten about how fighters take about a year to complete, when I'd first watched the Direct, hence why I read the statements that way. DLC work will have started this year in earnest if they're aiming to stagger releases over 2019, so some (if not all) of the choices were locked in earlier than that (which is amusing to think about -- working on DLC before the game is publicly announced).

Makes sense, gg.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
If Katalina got in I wouldn't be mad, I wouldn't care at all really. The only weird thing is the fact that she's a mobile character, that would feel a bit odd to me.
But i'd get over it.
Pretty much what you said.

Speaking about mobile games, Nintendo can freaking ROCK a mobile game cough Pocket Camp COUGH

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm probably gonna be the latest I've ever been, but did you know that if you click the star on Lifelight's post in the music section on the website, you get the lyrics? Late, late, late....

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Imagine being so entitled that you believe one character's inclusion means that your character wdidn't get in.

There is no such thing as deservedness, and characters are going to get in Smash Bros. regardless of fanmade rules and wishes. Katalina getting into Smash means that Katalina got into Smash and nothing more; it doesn't mean that she replaced anyone or took another character's slot.

It seriously feels like we've regressed as a community back to the Sm4sh days. I thought we'd moved beyond stupid arguments about characters being "deserving," and that if one character gets in it fills an arbitrary slot that "muh *insert popular character here*" could've taken.

Where did I say she took anyone's spot or replaced anybody? I'm just saying it's going to suck that a character from a mobile game got in, and other characters didn't. It's not saying Katalina replaced someone or was chosen over someone. I'm saying I'd be pretty ticked that she's in and others haven't been. I'm not pointing fingers and saying "you're the reason why ___ isn't in!".

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
TBH I wonder how the Japanese fanbase reacts to all these newcomers and the likes. I wonder if they have leaks just like we do...
Japanese leaks are picked up pretty fast by the western fanbase, and as of right now no major leaks have occurred in Japan. All of them happen over here, and the Japanese discuss our leaks.

I have no clue how they react to all the newcomers though. You'd need to ask a translator to go over to Japanese fan sites and translate reactions over there.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm probably gonna be the latest I've ever been, but did you know that if you click the star on Lifelight's post in the music section on the website, you get the lyrics? Late, late, late....
That's pretty cool. I did not know that

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That’s a pretty sexy fact to learn

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Where did I say she took anyone's spot or replaced anybody? I'm just saying it's going to suck that a character from a mobile game got in, and other characters didn't. It's not saying Katalina replaced someone or was chosen over someone. I'm saying I'd be pretty ticked that she's in and others haven't been. I'm not pointing fingers and saying "you're the reason why ___ isn't in!".
Some people will think it sucks, while others will be happy about it, just like with every character

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is pretty unrelated to the Ultimate but I'm curious: Does anyone know where that "Melee players hate soap" meme came from? I just realized I don't know why is that made up.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I didn't necessarily imply that you were the one making that argument, but you're dangerously close to crossing that line. I've highlighted and bolded the pertinent statement; You might as well be saying the same thing.

Katalina being in Smash simply means that Katalina is in Smash. It doesn't mean that another character would've been developed in her place. To think otherwise isn't right, nor is it fair to Sakurai and his team.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Imagine being so entitled that you believe one character's inclusion means that your character didn't get in.

It seriously feels like we've regressed as a community back to the Sm4sh days. I thought we'd moved beyond stupid arguments about characters being "deserving," believing that characters are locks because you like them, and that if one character gets in it fills an arbitrary slot that "muh *insert popular character here*" could've taken.

Okay listen, I understand people being petty or spoiled or childish in their reactions. I understand how salt can get annoying.

But can we stop with this whole bull**** of implying there's no such thing as limited space in the Smash roster?

There is a specific amount of work Sakurai is going to put himself through. He is human, he has to judge and weigh which characters HE wants to include, to take time to make, and to add to the game. He only has a limited amount of money and time after all to do it. The DLC has a literal limit of five slots.

Sakurai HAS to compare characters to decide the roster. It's logic. It happens. We gave him a ballot of choices who we specifically stated we wanted as playable characters, and Sakurai had to look at that ballot and decide which he thought were worth it.

Sakurai had to make the decision that it was more worth it to produce Ridely (someone he famously wouldn't have put in as playable on his own) and K.Rool, rather than others, such as Shadow and Isaac (who may not even have returned as an AT if it hadn't been for the ballot, who knows)

Them being whiny about certain characters not getting in is worth giving them **** over, but I hate this narrative that "if one character gets in they didn't take any spot"

No, characters take spots. Piranha Plant took a spot. That's just how making a fighting game roster works.

Last edited:

Kagrenac

Smash Cadet
The World of Light gamemode represents the loss of love and excitement Sakurai once had for these characters. The hands representing the constant negging and begging for different characters to be included and at the center of it all; our endless want for more regardless of how much Sakurai adds. It ended up destroying his love and his passion for the characters he held dear for so long. They're no longer characters to him. Mere products now; as seen by their possessed nature. The characters being possessed represents their twisted usage. It's no longer about adventure and excitement but about want and need.

THAT is what the gamemode means.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This is pretty unrelated to the Ultimate but I'm curious: Does anyone know where that "Melee players hate soap" meme came from? I just realized I don't know why is that made up.
It's a meme referring to how infamously bad Smash tournaments (in this case Melee) can tend to be in regards to the odor.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I'm still going all-in on Geno being the SE rep. You wanna know why I know Spawn Wave and LeakyPanda are wrong?
Because there's no reveal coming at the VGAs. Sakurai said development on DLC would only start after the game was finished and out, and the VGAs happen a day before the game comes out.
I'd say, expect a Nintendo Direct sometime at the beginning of the year, possibly February since that's the same month Piranha Plant comes out. THAT will be where the first DLC character will be announced.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I still say all the people getting upset about Katalina being in Ultimate would say the same thing about Marth being in Melee in 2000-2001.

and its not because Katalina looks like a Fire Emblem character

D

Deleted member

I feel like i finally got it...

If it works right, we will only see the red part of the pupils when wearing Geno’s hat in Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That reminds me, anyone remember when Nintendo Power gave Brawl a perfect score, while ignoring niggling issues like that? :p
I'd give Brawl a perfect score and I hate playing the game.
Hell, I'd probably do the same for every Smash on the basis of:
"... It's Smash. You've already pre-ordered this game. There's literally zero reason for you to read this."

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I didn't necessarily imply that you were the one making that argument, but you're dangerously close to crossing that line. I've highlighted and bolded the pertinent statement; You might as well be saying the same thing.

Katalina being in Smash simply means that Katalina is in Smash. It doesn't mean that another character would've been developed in her place. To think otherwise isn't right, nor is it fair to Sakurai and his team.
Doesn't it though? We have 5 DLC spots. All 5 would've been taken up no matter what. If it wasn't Katalina, I'd be someone else.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
TBH I wonder how the Japanese fanbase reacts to all these newcomers and the likes. I wonder if they have leaks just like we do...
First thing I'd hear them say is "what the hell is a grinch?"

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
You got me excited to try Dragon Quest 11 now and I see no wonder I couldn't find their names. I could see it happening and I would accept it, if a Dragon Quest hero is the new rep.

I think Sakurai will not put Geno in, I think Sakurai is smarter than that. He does put nostalgic characters, but when it comes to 3rd parties. They are nostalgic, but they are still relative and represent the company they come from. Geno would just be another Mario character. Honestly the fact that he does not represent Square and is not still relative is what hurts him. I think Square will try to persuade Sakurai to add one of their more well known characters and ones that represent the company.

And yes I have heard of her the one from Grandblue? Shes rumored to be in correct?
Well I hope you get the chance to try it. I did start playing, it was beautiful (haven't played all the games btw, and it's been a while). But then Mega Man 11 came. Everything stops for Mega Man X)
You know, I'll tell you something that might convince you even more. Slime. one of the most recognizable enemies in gaming. Some heroes have their Slime partner. more recognition :)

I agree, and I know Sakurai is smarter than to include Geno but, that's not the smarts I'm talking about. I meant having a grip on loyality. Those are his long time fans, you don't buy those. And not everything should scale up to profit. He can gain that from other DLCs. This one's for the boys is what I think.

You are correct. So it's Katalina, Square rep and Microsoft rep. I've been calling Rash (Battletoads) to be the MS rep. That way, no Steve AND we get a Rare rep too. That puts Banjo for N64 Classic however. Oh and just any Minecraft something in Smash (since the leaks suggest that). Stage, AT.. etc. Waht do you think?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You are correct. So it's Katalina, Square rep and Microsoft rep. I've been calling Rash (Battletoads) to be the MS rep. That way, no Steve AND we get a Rare rep too. That puts Banjo for N64 Classic however. Oh and just any Minecraft something in Smash (since the leaks suggest that). Stage, AT.. etc. Waht do you think?
Rash coming with Minecraft music would be the weirdest thing in the world, but I could live with that.

Oh god, I just realized something, what if his stage was the Turbo Tunnel? :eek:

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
The fact that they completely got rid of Stadium (aside from Multi-Man Smash which is now called Mob Smash for some reason) upsets me a bit. I loved testing my skills with each character in Target Smash/Test and trying to get better times. Seeing how far you could launch Sandbag in Home-Run Contest was hilarious and pretty satisfying. Instead, Sandbag is now just some item you attack for more items that you’ll encounter sometimes in matches with items on, not the thing everyone gets to beat up on for the fun of it in other modes. If they have similar modes like these in Classic along with the regular matches, I’d be surprised that you can’t just access them freely outside of Classic. Then again, all of this might just be nostalgia talking.

Untouch

Smash Master
I still say all the people getting upset about Katalina being in Ultimate would say the same thing about Marth being in Melee in 2000-2001.

and its not because Katalina looks like a Fire Emblem character
Were people upset about Marth? I just didn't know who he was.
Fire Emblem was at least a Nintendo franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom